Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,693
    I had one and called my service manager at the dealer and their first comment was " is it flashing or solid"? Their second comment since it was a steady light is did I recently fill up and did I check the gas cap. I checked but it didn't help. Turned out the hose had rotted off at the canister at the end.

But later had a check engine light come on. Checked gas cap. Loose. But if you know that the system does not do a check every time it's started, you won't panic if the light doesn't go off.

The ideal is drive about two miles, stop at Speedway gas station for coffee, get back in and restart. The temp gauge is up about 2/3 of the way. Then when I restart in about 1 minute the light went off!

Good luck.

This message has been approved.

• whzrdwhzrd Posts: 39
    tried reseating the cap yesterday and the light was on this am. I 'll try the drive stop and drive idea and post again.
  • cha41icha41i Posts: 3
    94 Lasebre Limited with automatic door lock. All door are become lock when operate to lock it by remote control. But when I un-lock by remote, all door are un-lock BUT front passenger side door does not un-lock. However, it can be un-lock with manual.
    What wrong with it?
    Thank
    Charle Jong
    tried to stop while car was warm and started again no change.

I have some pretty good rust around the gas cap filler tube> I was thinking of sanding it down or wire brushing.
    Do you think the rust in the tank will cause any problem or maybe just stuff a rag in there before and vacuum when done.

I also noticed a lot of dust/rust coming off the cap and around the rubber gasket can I replace the cap or the gasket?
    I would just use a cloth with motor oil on it to catch the rust and rub to take it off.
    Is it rust or just scudacrud that has formed there?

Is the rust in the area where the rubber seal of the cap meets the filler neck?

Is the rubber seal on the cap worn flat on the contact side? Or when you push the cap on do you feel slight resistance as the seal meets the filler tube?

I think it looks like rust on the filler neck.

It is right on the neck lip and there is rust on the filler cap rubber gasket but just contact from the the filler tube.

The cap still has spring to it but when I do depress and release the gasket fine dust(rust?)comes either off it or from the air holes in the cap itself.
    I think I've seen the reddish material. /Are you sure it's not dust with some contaminant in it from the gasoline spash or vapors?

Anybody know what this stuff is?

• idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    Had this same problem with '93 Bonneville. Most GM vehicles, especially the Bonneville, LeSabre, and Olds 88 used the same parts, and I'm sure there were more. You'll more than likely just have to get used to leaning over to your right and unlocking the door with your fingers, or using the key in the door. My mom is short, so she would always give the passenger the keys so they could unlock the doors and she wouldn't have to lean over the console.
    Other problems you will probably have, if you don't already are malfunctioning power windows, (won't go down, or heaven forbid, won't go up), power antenna won't work, and many many more malfunctioning electronics, not to mention replacing your alternator every 40k miles, since the LeSabre uses the same engine as the Pontiac.
    Good Luck!
  • From research of the web infor. It has an possibility of faulty "door solinoil" ? Need to be replaced. Any ideal, what and where it is?
    Thank
  • stan13stan13 Posts: 14
    Hey, Giants515.....Believe it or not, I'm still interested in info on the MBQuart speakers. I thought my message had gone into outer space, but I'm glad you replied. Thanks. Looking forward to hearing from you re: those speakers. Do you like them? Are they worth the price? Is there a source you like (with reasonable prices)? Any info would be appreciated. Stan13
  • The noise was a dull thud heard either under the driver's seat or behind the driver. It occured intermittently when making moderate left or right turns. After three visits to the dealer I discovered on Edmunds' website that the battery was located behind the driver and under the passenger's seat. Conclusion: loose battery housing.
  • I inherited my mother's 2002 LeSabre Limited with 8k miles. Drove it from NC to NM without any problem and averaged 30 mpg at 70-75. Car has been driven on a couple of 300 miles trips since new but mostly local travel. It is a base LTD with just the Touring Suspension option. I was considering getting a Protection Plan warranty for 6 years 60k miles since the original warranty will expire in Feb, 2005. Should I do so? Has anyone experienced major repairs under 60k? I've owned 2 LeSabre's -a '90 and a '94
    and drove both of the to around 110k miles with little problems -as I recall I replaced a couple of alternators -that was about it. I had 100k 6 year warranties on both of them and I doubt that they paid for themselves. Any advice? Thanks!
    Has the recall for new bolts at the air intake manifold/throttle body and addition of coolant sealer been done? The likelihood of major repairs needed on a LeSabre is low. I've not seen a pattern of problems. I've checked the list of TSBs here on Edmunds and don't see a pattern.

The cost of GMPP aftermarket looked like $1700 for a long period with high mileage, I think it was 100K/7 years total. I'd take the gamble on frequent oil changes, including transmission, and go without.

I have a 2003 with 24K on it and 2 years old. So I'm not just talking through my hat; I'm making the same decision.

I would recommend changing the trans fluid at 2 years/36 K whichever comes first. It seems the sliding valve that modulates the fluid controlling the lockup percentage on the torque converter clutch is sensitive to aged fluid or fine particles or wear in the bore due to poor design. My 1998 LeSabre was changed at 65K miles and it developed this problem. It developed the problem causing unevenness in the lockup until warm.

I'm changing my 2003 fluid at 24K and 2 years--I do it at home. Drop the pan, catch the fluid, tighten the pan, add fluid. No filter change needed until 60-70K or more, in my opinion.

• I ordered some Michelin Harmonys for the 2000 Limited to replace the Avid Tourings which have been on about 40K miles. Was torn between the Goodyear comfortread and these.I will report in about a week and a half.
    I just put Harmonys on the 98 LeSabre. They feel really good. They replaced X-Ones. I'll probably put them on the 03 when the Symmetrys wear out. And they seem to be wearing fairly fast.

You made a good choice of tire.

• I just purchased a 2000 lesabre with 58400 miles, from buick dealer. They offered a 36/45000 GM PP for $2600. I have been searching and reading information from forums to make my decision about buying this plan. I have until Feb 15th to buy the plan or loose the option offered to me.

Any one who has experience with 2000 models, does it worth it?
  • This seems pricey. Most of the stuff that has gone wrong with my 2000 happened in the first 36K miles. Just make sure the cooling system is serviced and there are no leaky plenum issues. Try negotiating if you want peace of mind.
  • Put the $2600 in the bank and insure yourself.
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    I agree, keep your money and insure yourself. Depending on how long you keep the LeSabre, that's probably how much you'll spend over the next five years, although it's hard to say. Maybe nothing will happen, maybe the tranny will explode. You never know.

I purchased the Major Guard for the first time with the lease of a new '04 Avalanche. It covers the lease term and I figured why not, it's built into the monthly payments and it's not my truck anyway, so I don't want any unexpected repair bills. Time will tell if it was worth it.
    I'd put the money in the bank. I'd have the transmission fluid changed as soon as possible unless you have documentation that it's been done. I'd have the Dexcool flushed (every two years). Make sure the recall was done for the new bolts on air plenum was done and that pellets of sealer were put in the coolant. I'd put some coolant pellats in again after the flush. Change the oil at 4000 miles or 30% on the oil life indicater.

That should take care of possible trouble points if you're keeping the car a long time. That's what I'm doing with my 03 LeSabre.