Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    What makes Buick GM's "best and brightest" marque?
    Why would DC want to purchase Buick? More likely a Chinese company.
    What 3 brands would you want GM to sell off before Buick? I can't even imagine.

I like Buick, but it may be impossible for them to be supported. If there can only be one luxury marque in the stable, would you pick Buick over Cadillac?
  • jimbuickjimbuick Posts: 4
    My Dad owns a 2002 Cadillac and prefers the ride of my 2000 Le Sabre. When we take day trips, we take my car and pays for the gas. He has stated that this is his last Cadillac. He going back to Buick.
  • bap1bap1 Posts: 2
    Trunk light stays on after closing lid of my 2000 Lesabre. Where is the light switch? Is it in the trunk latch? Can it be fixed as new latch with actuator is expensive.
  • 1) What makes Buick GM's "best and brightest" marque?

> I think that the Buick reputation speaks for itself. I remember that they were very reliable and sturdy - even when we had a side-on collision, no-one was hurt. They were also pretty stylish - we had a red LeSabre, which I always thought was a pretty cool car.

It was only later that I found out that Buick had an excellent reputation for safety, reliability, and value. Not only had they maintained this reputation through my formative years, but they actually improved on it - consistently.

You don't have to agree with me, but I remember what Buick was like while growing up, and now, I am proud to state that I drive my own.

2) Why would DC want to purchase Buick? More likely a Chinese company.

> I don't see why a Chinese company would want to buy Buick. Given the national pride and heritage of the Chinese, I would think that their government would be willing to place their resources and support behind a national marque effort. I am no expert in international relations or commerce, but it seems to me that for the Chinese to purchase a foreign marque, instead of developing their own, they would suffer a great loss of face. In effect, they would be admitting that they, with their great natural resources and vast population, could not create their own automobile, whereas countries like Japan and South Korea have successfully done so (no disrespect to those countries intended - I am very impressed with what they have accomplished).

3. What 3 brands would you want GM to sell off before Buick? I can't even imagine.

> I don't think that I would pick 3 brands to sell off before Buick, but do you really believe that, say, Pontiac and Chevrolet are better marques? Remember, I'm looking at longevity, reliability, safety, and value.

I have been asked why, for example, the recent 'Hemi engine' vehicles are out there. when gas prices are at almost all-time highs. My answer: they are appealing to baby-boomers, who remember what Hemi engines were, and to the children of those baby boomers, who will hear the definitions from their parents. To a much lesser extent, they are appealing to the general populace, but don't be fooled - the Hemi is by no means an innovative concept now.

You will NEVER see a Hemi engine in a Buick - I feel that Buick is much more in tune with the general populace - Buick uses no popular fads or trends - they don't need them and don't use them.

4. If there can only be one luxury marque in the stable, would you pick Buick over Cadillac?

> Cadillac is a luxury marque and always has been. I'm not saying that Buick is a luxury marque - It's not limited to just being the American luxury marque.

Just look at Buick's lineup - it has both luxury (LeSabre and Park Avenue) and mid-size (Century and LaCrosse) car types. I maintain that it has more choices for more types of consumers than Cadillac does (I don't believe that the Catera, for example, successfully attracted younger consumers).

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts and feedback. Thanks.
  • It looks like there are already other marques in China. Please check out the following article:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=105339

Thanks.
  • To all,

I apologize - I did not check up on the latest Buick models, which are the Lacrosse, the LeSabre, and the Lucerne. This is with respect to Post #1093 - but I still stand behind all my opinions in that post. Thanks.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    1) What makes Buick GM's "best and brightest" marque?
    I think that the Buick reputation speaks for itself. I remember that they were very reliable and sturdy - even when we had a side-on collision, no-one was hurt. They were also pretty stylish - we had a red LeSabre, which I always thought was a pretty cool car.

It was only later that I found out that Buick had an excellent reputation for safety, reliability, and value. Not only had they maintained this reputation through my formative years, but they actually improved on it - consistently.

You don't have to agree with me, but I remember what Buick was like while growing up, and now, I am proud to state that I drive my own.

I'm assuming you grew up in the 60s then, which was pretty much the last time that Buick had an excellent reputation. That was a long time ago, and the luster is mostly gone, unfortunately. Buick sales are poor, it's prime demographic is past their prime, and their future isn't particularly bright.

2) Why would DC want to purchase Buick? More likely a Chinese company.

I don't see why a Chinese company would want to buy Buick. Given the national pride and heritage of the Chinese, I would think that their government would be willing to place their resources and support behind a national marque effort. I am no expert in international relations or commerce, but it seems to me that for the Chinese to purchase a foreign marque, instead of developing their own, they would suffer a great loss of face. In effect, they would be admitting that they, with their great natural resources and vast population, could not create their own automobile, whereas countries like Japan and South Korea have successfully done so (no disrespect to those countries intended - I am very impressed with what they have accomplished).

Buick is a highly prized brand in China. The name alone would be worth a Chinese company picking up.

3. What 3 brands would you want GM to sell off before Buick? I can't even imagine.

I don't think that I would pick 3 brands to sell off before Buick, but do you really believe that, say, Pontiac and Chevrolet are better marques? Remember, I'm looking at longevity, reliability, safety, and value.

Define better - more valuable? Definitely. If GM had to rely on Buick to survive, they would be finished. Pontiac is a question mark, but so is Buick. Pontiac has the Solstice coming, what does Buick have? Hopefully the Velite.

I have been asked why, for example, the recent 'Hemi engine' vehicles are out there. when gas prices are at almost all-time highs. My answer: they are appealing to baby-boomers, who remember what Hemi engines were, and to the children of those baby boomers, who will hear the definitions from their parents. To a much lesser extent, they are appealing to the general populace, but don't be fooled - the Hemi is by no means an innovative concept now.

You will NEVER see a Hemi engine in a Buick - I feel that Buick is much more in tune with the general populace - Buick uses no popular fads or trends - they don't need them and don't use them.

Buick isn't in tune with anyone really. They aren't doing that well. The Hemi is selling phenomenally. Buick _desperately_ needs something popular, a fad, a trend, anything!

4. If there can only be one luxury marque in the stable, would you pick Buick over Cadillac?

Cadillac is a luxury marque and always has been. I'm not saying that Buick is a luxury marque - It's not limited to just being the American luxury marque.

What is Buick? It has to define itself - another of its problems.

Just look at Buick's lineup - it has both luxury (LeSabre and Park Avenue) and mid-size (Century and LaCrosse) car types. I maintain that it has more choices for more types of consumers than Cadillac does (I don't believe that the Catera, for example, successfully attracted younger consumers).

Luxury and mid-size? Buick has four large sedans and an SUV. More choices for more types of consumers? The Century, LaCrosse, and LeSabre overlap all over the place. That's why they are getting rid of the Century and LeSabre. The Park Avenue is a beautiful car, but I don't think it is going to be around much longer either. Buick's problem is that it appeals to a very limited part of the population. The Catera may not have been successful in any way, but the Escalade and CTS have been _very_ successful, and the STS is on its way.

I think the LaCrosse is a great car, hopefully it will do well, hopefully Buick will get the Velite, and hopefully the next Park Avenue will be a hit. Those three things could ensure Buick's future.
  • Actually, I grew up in the 70s.

Anyway, I think that Buick has improved a lot since then. I really think that the 2001 Buick LeSabre I have is a good, rugged, and dependable car. I hope to be driving it for a very long time.

I still think that Buick is a viable marque. I understand what you have stated about 'being all over the place' and 'having to define itself', but for my money, I'm better off with Buick than spending an arm and a leg for a Cadillac or buying a car with a Hemi engine which will burn a lot of gas compared to my LeSabre.

I think that Buick is indeed having 'growing pains' with their 3 car models and 3 SUV models. However, I do believe that the marque will appeal to people out there who want to see Buicks as good values, not just those who want to 'buy American'.

If I had a lot of money for a replacement car, I'd go with a Mercedes or a Lexus, which I think are still much better cars than Cadillacs.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 643
    If I had a lot of money for a replacement car, I'd go with a Mercedes or a Lexus, which I think are still much better cars than Cadillacs.

I'd go with Lexus but I wouldn't touch Mercedes crap with a ten foot pole:

http://www.damianpenny.com/archived/001851.html
  • whzrdwhzrd Posts: 39
    I decided to do a little interior cleaning today in the 2k lesabre. It all started innocently by buying a 3 in 1 armor all package for cleaning | protecting | windows.

Well, after starting with that I pulled out the armor all protectant I had in the trunk and really went to town on everything in the interior of the inside of the car including doors and trunk.

I went to the gas cap and armorall'd it, the filler tube and base of the the tube platform all had some rust on it. It seemed to darken my cleaning rag some so I added some more. The rust is still there though not as much and it is moist instead of dry and crusty/rusty.

After replacing the cap and re starting the car. No, more service engine soon light I had it all through winter!

I just wanted to up date and thank imidazol97 for the assist. Even though mine was the only post I noticed in this forum about that issue.http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/emot- orcons/emo_wink.gif
    wink
    I decided to do a little interior cleaning today in the 2k lesabre. It all started innocently by buying a 3 in 1 armor all package for cleaning | protecting | windows.

Well, after starting with that I pulled out the armor all protectant I had in the trunk and really went to town on everything in the interior of the inside of the car including doors and trunk.

I went to the gas cap and armorall'd it, the filler tube and base of the the tube platform all had some rust on it. It seemed to darken my cleaning rag some so I added some more. The rust is still there though not as much and it is moist instead of dry and crusty/rusty.

After replacing the cap and re starting the car. No, more service engine soon light I had it all through winter!

I just wanted to up date and thank imidazol97 for the assist. Even though mine was the only post I noticed in this forum about that issue.
  • I just inherited a 98 LeSabre from my dad.. it seems to be a great car (years ago I loved my similar 93 Bonneville), but this darn thing has this common problem of no AC coming out of the dash (MID) vents. I've seen dozens and dozens of complaints and queries about this exact problem all over the net (various forums) with solutions ranging from a simple vacuum hose off or leaking (not lucky enough to find that yet), to a bad chip ($1000), to bad control heads(?). What level of failure do we consumers have to put up with before a manufacturer admits a problem and steps up to the plate to offer a fix? Any advice appreciated.
  • aiutoaiuto Posts: 46
    I have a 1995 leSabre w/ power windows where I can open the rear driver window from the driver console, but not from the rear seat. Is it easy to get the cover off of the panel to check the contacts? any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

Thx.

aiuto
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,705
    It could be the switch contacts no making contact (dirty) in the rear door. Since the motor works from the front we know the motor is okay. Have you tried putting it down from the driver's panel and then putting it up from the rear switch?

My guess is a bad contact inside the switch from dust or nonuse.

This message has been approved.

• aiutoaiuto Posts: 46
    Thx. How do I get the panel off to check the contacts?
  • rjh4rjh4 Posts: 3
    Is anyone having trouble with thier 2004 Buick Lesabre Custom at freeway speeds as my Buick has a Vibration at these speeds. It is equip with15" General Tires, is this problem or is it a factory defect or design problem.Please let me Know.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,705
    You are under warranty I assume. TAke it back to your dealer for them to Road Force Balance the wheels and tires on a Hunter 9700 balancer. This will eliminate variations in the sponginess in the tire at different points on the tire.

I could be a defective tire. It could be a bent wheel. I could be just a plain out of balance tire. It could be alignment is off slightly and has worn tires. If you have less than 12K on it, they should be happy to fix alignment and balance.

After that be the squeaky wheel.

This message has been approved.

• readyeddiereadyeddie Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a used 2002 lesabre custom. The car came without an owners manual.

I just had the oil changed, but the oil life index percent did not change. How do i reset the index??

Thanks in advance for the help.
    go to the DIC to the oil life index reading and press the reset button. If it doesnt change hold it longer. Should reset it.
  • davcodavco Posts: 9
    sometimes the dash buttons labeled vent, heat, defog etc. will work, thus actutating the blower fan, but most times they "stick" and refuse to switch.

Any suggestions?