Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,707
    Have the tires been road force balanced by a tech who knows how to troubleshoot leSabre problems?

Is the car completely realigned? Not just within tolerance range for each setting?

This message has been approved.

• 79customd79customd Posts: 87
    You may want to take it to a tech that can check the vehichles Dynamic balance b/c 65-75 mph is usually where the problems for that are. Static balance is usually vibrating noticiably at 55mph.
  • jef4jef4 Posts: 11
    I have a 98 Lesabre that had a blown head gasket while I was on vacation. It had 72,000 miles and it broke down on a Sunday in Columbia, SC. It cost $2500. I found out that the 98 has a plastic manifold and blown head gaskets are not uncommon. I called GM to express my anger. They were very nice. They even called the garage that "fixed" the engine to see what caused the problem. GM sent me a certificate for a substantial discount on a new GM car, if I decide to buy one within a year.
    It's nice that they offer a discount off their profit on a new car; why now fix the one they didn't build right, that they've known has a problem since 1998?

I asked them to pay the parts and/or labor cost for the repair on my intake manifold. They lost track of my calls through the first cycle. Months later some nasty, MBA type wannabe manager came through with the same type of offer as for you--but my wife had convinced me to buy a new car months before. Why would I want another new Buick?

GM didn't handle this problem right and it is hurting them image now in sales. They earned what they got on this item. A partial payment for cost of repair of these intakes would have done a lot of PR.

• 79customd79customd Posts: 87
    GM is not perfect though evryone wants to try to make them be. They stand behind there work by doing jef4 right. When the 2500HD we own was in the shop due to computer problems, they called up to the dealer to see what the problem was. This is in the boondocks of NC so they must really care if ya ask me.
  • Were you able to resolve this issue? I'm very curious because my mother is having the exact same problem with her '98 LeSabre. Thanks for any help you can provide.
  • terex58terex58 Posts: 1
    Did you find a solution to this problem? I am having the same problem, got a new key and still didn't work, would really appreciate advice.

Thanks
    If you feel it's the key sensors inside the key cylinder now making contact you can replace the key cylinder ( $250?) or you can try the bypass the puts a resistor in line to replace the key in the cylinder's resistance.

If you don't believe it's anything else in the VATS circuit
    http://www.motorage.com/motorage/data/articlestandard/motorage/292005/169809/art- icle.pdf

http://www.12vp.com/info_resistors.htm

The first article is dealer service oriented. The second tells how you can find the right two wires (often in a little orange tube the looks like a wire) and where the base of the steering column is you can connect in a resistor of the proper resistance (measure you key chip's resistance) and make the computer think it has the right key in it all the time. Some service location people can do this that aren't dealers.

• I want to put a performance air intake on my lesabre. I need some help because as you may know there are no kits out there for most buicks, and I really dont feel like building one. Can anyone tell me what intake for what kind of car would best fit on my Lesabre??
  • duddly101duddly101 Posts: 7
    My 2001 Lesabre's air bag seat belt warning light stays on, usually in the morning, or when the car is started after sitting overnight. The air bag light stay lit, and seat belt light will flash, then go out. The air bag light will stay on. While the seat belt is flashing, latching and re latching the drivers seat belt has no effect. After I drive several miles, and the engine is warmed, the only way to clear the air bag light is to re start the car. Interestingly tho, on warm days, after the car sits in the sun most afternoon, everything works normally. Has any one experienced this problem, and is the remedy a DIY?
  • romeroomromeroom Posts: 1
    I need to replace an ECM (Electronic Control Module) on my '94 LeSabre. Where is this part located?

Thanks.
  • Yeah, I own a 1988 buick lesabre. can anyone tell me how to remove the front bumper? Please help.
  • hydrohydro Posts: 1
    I picked up a '93 Buick Lesabre for a very low price considering it has 130k kilometres on it. Yes im metric. But for about the past week I have noticed a gas odour, and to my further imspection found a gas leak under the rear passenger side. When the engine is one it drips alot more then when the engine is off. I took it to a garage and they told me I need a new "Fuel level sending unit" and probably a new "Gas Tank" since it would be corroded. It was then estimated at $731 (CAN) for the job. I know its not that much considering, but does this sound right? I know I can get a gas tank for $200, and the Sending unit for $75..so is the rest all labour, is it really that big of a job?
  • hevonenhevonen Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 LeSabre Limited with 64,000 miles and never any serious or lingering problems.

For the last two months, after heavy rains, water has collected on the floor of the right side passenger compartment, mostly in the rear, occasionally extending to the front seat. The carpet is saturated. No other area even hints of moisture -- not the seat, the ceiling, the door or any other upholstered item, just the floor. The doors and windows were closed during the deluges.

The fluid gives off no odor -- doesn't smell like gasoline or coolant.

The dealer had no clue as to what the problem could be. I know the battery sits under the rear seat so could there be some kind of line running beneath the floor board that could be leaking water?

Much appreciate any answers or even just educated guesses.
    Was the car driven during the rains or did the water come in around seals or something without being driven in the rain.

Ideals. Does it have a sunroof. Occasionally a drain tube clogs or kinks and water goes wrong place.

Do you see any water dripping around the botton edge of the front or rear door immediately after the rain. There is a plastic water seal layer inside the door that is sealed with butyl caulk and sometimes that doesn't seal right and the water gets to the interior of the car.

Do you have any looseness in the rubber seal around the door. To check use a dollar bill and open the window and run it along the rubber seal. You will feel the areas where the seal isn't making good contact.

If occurs during driving check lower parts of same rubber seals for ways tire spray from front can get in around front of rear door or back of front door.

• kessarykessary Posts: 2
    yes, had the same problem with 98 Buick 3800 series II, Be careful, part of the leak is also EGR (basically hot exhaust)leaking into the crankcase which will turn your engine oil into a very thick grease like substance, I burned up my engine the day after replacing the intake. It will clog your pickup tube in the oil pan where it picks up the oil. Am now in the process of rebuilding engine at 111,000 miles. So don't take a chance the oil pan is very easy to get off, just drop it and pull the pickup tube off and clean it very well. Good Luck.
    The EGR tube only would leak into the air stream to be burned in the motor. It might affect driveability with additional oxygen-free air going in. But the oil wouldn't be affected.

The oil sludging sounds like lack of oil changes, poor filters, both, or poor oil quality used.

• suydamsuydam Posts: 883
    That sounds about right for my son's '98-- 22-30 or so. It gets surprisingly good mileage for such a large car.
  • I am pleased with my LeSabre.

Has anyone else had a problem with the wheels rusting?

My car is a 2004 celebration edition, has 16" chrome wheels. Was made in late May 2004. Now just 2 years old the front wheels are covered in rust. I'd thought that brake dust was covering them, but on closer inspection, no, it's rust.

I'm wondering if this is covered by warrenty.

??
    I'd get to the dealer immediately to let them determine what's happening. I've noticed the brake dust if not kept off will form crud that resembles rust. But it's possible there is an early rusting problem.

I have had trouble finding a good cleaner for my wheels. Chrome Celebration 03. I just use a chrome polish and try to let it rub off the brake dust bits that stick.