Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Merc1, thanks for the E-Class family tree. Very good history, and yes, like yourself, I'm on the hunt for the best E-Class of all time(or up until this year's E63 perhaps), the 500E.

There is one in the classified in the back of Autoweek right now. A 1994 model with only 8K on the clock supposedly owned by Al Unser Jr. No price listed of course, it is likely in the ridiculous for me category, but you can't beat that mileage.

M
    Remember you said you could live with the LS placing second in a C&D comparo? Well I don't know how you're going to take this, but Autospies is reporting that in the Jan issue of C&D there is a comparo of the LS460, S550, 750i, A8, and XJ8 Super 8. The S550 placed first and the LS460 place dead last.

As I type this I'm trying to remember that really wasn't a fair test to the LS460 because they should have used a LS460L, not the SWB LS460, but still last place? I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years. That is the same place the S430 you loved to talk down about placed.

Now this by no means is an etched in stone impression. I still want to see the all the LWB variants compared.

M
    Ok these are the LWB variants, the A8L, 750iL, LS460L, S550 (only comes one way, long) and XJ Super 8 so it looks like this was a fair fight afterall Doc. Some scans of the article from some of the autospies posters:

link title
    link title
    link title
    link title
    link title
    link title
    link title
    link title
    link title
    link title

The official rankings:

1st - MB S550
    2nd - Audi A8L
    3rd - BMW 750iL
    4th - Jaguar XJ8 Super V8
    5th - Lexus LS460L

An upset of major proportions IMO. Second place I could see, but the LS460L placing last? The LS460L was 93K, only 10K less than the Benz, that may have cost it. Lexus seems to have forgotten their value price roots. Still reading....

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Ok guys, I got around to taking and uploading some pictures. Enjoy.

Wow she is pretty! I don't think I've seen that color interior relationship before with the dash/seats. Is the dash supposed to be a similar color to the top?

M
    Is the dash supposed to be a similar color to the top?

Actually the top is navy blue, but it appears more as a dark gray in the photos.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,860
    What a laugher. The only surprise here is that they didn't award Mercedes an extra 20 points for having the largest wheel well arches. Unbelieveably biased to the point of being ridiculous.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

Only the first of many similar responses I'm sure. I guess when they put the previous LS430 and LS400 models over everything else they were right on the money? Right?

Gotta find out what the Doc will say since these legendary Car and Driver comparo have been the meat of his "LS is superior" rants through the years and they've put the LS so highly in the past.

The only thing they were obviously biased towards was the actual driving aspect of the cars, because on the luxury side of the equation they clearly stated the LS460L is likely the most opulent car in the class.

A Lexus shouldn't cost 93K either, with a scant 10K seperating it from the most expensive car in the test, the Mercedes. Lexus seems to have forgotten that their price advantage was a big part of those wins in the past. I think you forgot that too while hollering "biased".

When you think about it, a brand new LS has never faced a brand new S-Class (both new for 07') before so things have changed. No more aging S-Class models to kick around.

M
    Unbelieveably biased to the point of being ridiculous.

I dont think thats really true. The article was written from a performance perspective, and the LS is going to lose that race. They did mention that if driving dynamics are not a top priority than the LS would be a good choice.

I thought some of the middle place finishes were strange, though. Last time they didnt really like the A8 or 7, and gave the XJ second place. This time they think the A8 and 7 are great.. but the cars havent really changed.
    Bingo, they said exactly that. LG, the voice of reason from the opposing camp.

I guess the location and specimen on hand accounted for the placement of the A8 and 7-Series this time around.

I've been waiting for the A8 to get some glory from a U.S. magazine outside of the MT comparo.

M
  • that A8 sure is long on the tooth to come in second like that. I guess it's long in the gorgeous tooth as well.

And only 1 point between 1st and second place. well, well.
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Congratulations Lexusguy!
    The S550 placed first and the LS460 place dead last.

Great post Merc1. Following your posts is like following a chess mathch and that last post of yours is equivalent to a "Check Mate" move. The new anthem in LS forums will be : "The King is Dead, Long live the King "(in the form of the 2012 LS480) !
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,860
    The article was written from a performance perspective.

That is exactly what I meant by the article being biased. No surprise.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• OMG, I can't believe this is happening! How the heck do you read those scanned pages anyway, the letter are way too small?
  • Very nice LG.
    You can enlarge the page by moving your cursor to the box with the four arrows on the bottom right side of the page.
  • Thanks. It's a good day for German HELM fans, enjoy.
    Oh c'mon GS,

the S vs. LS vs. A8 vs. 7 Series vs. XJ has as much relevance to me as watching Monarch butterflies fluttering around during spring.

BMW 5 series or 3 series comparisons to other models has more relevance to me since those are the two cars that are currently in my garage. And I couldn't care less even if every magazine/web reviewer thinks less of my cars since it is me the owner(including my wife) that loves these two cars.

I am certainly not anti-Lexus. I have a friend who is a VP of Toyota Canada and he invited me over to his house at Whitby to test drive his company car which happens to be a Lexus GS450h. I am very excited about his invitation since I am very interested in the novelty of the 450h's drivetrain.

Nor am I anti-Toyota. I was the first person in Toronto to order a hybrid Camry. But after learning about its small 10.5 cubic feet trunk space I cancelled my order.

So this C & D article may be a victory for some, but certainly not for me.
  • Well, the article left no room for the wars of words on this board by placing the LS last. It's like watching a close fight and one guy got knocked out :cry: .
    Of course, the review/write up represent just the writer's point of views. We all make our car buying decision based on what fit us best.
    I agree with you on the GSh. Keep us posted on your impression. I saw couple people here liking it.