Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    The ratings of OVERALL crash safety in their "large luxury cars" category:

link title

1. Audi A6

2. Lexus GS

3. Infiniti M35/M45

4. Mercedes E class

5. Cadillac DTS

6. Volvo S80

7. BMW 5 series

8. Acura RL

9. Lincoln Town Car

10. Cadillac CTS

11. Cadillac STS
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Mellow out with the shouting, dude. :confuse:

I never doubted you, just thought I'd ask what's that about?

My official response is, if I were Toyota/Lexus, I'd take a "poor" rating, and work on that like a weakness or disease. A "marginal" or "acceptable" rating is nothing to write articles about.

Tag, Two Tings!

First Ting is I think some blok in Salt Lake got you to read his article by throwing "Toyota" and "anything bad" into the title.

And my soupy #2 is check the front end of Toyota/Lexus cars, where the vast majority of accidents occur.

Nothing less than a top mark. Not one.

Toyota, and Lexus, know what they're doing. They sleep very soundly.

Damn, so do I! Cool! :)

DrFill
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    My conjecture is based on their overall ratings as mentioned below.

Toyota Motor Corp., whose vehicles earn top marks for buyer satisfaction, has more models than any other automaker ranked at the bottom of a crash-protection study.
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    You may want to check out the Lexus with the sportier suspension, which may improve the driving experience...A few years ago I think it was called `European Suspension` On my last Lexus I had the air suspension, and as far as I could tell it did not improve the experience, just firmed it up a bit...Good Luck, and if I were in your position I would surely check out the dealership of whichever car I were to get....Tony
    And for their "midsize luxury/near luxury cars":

link title

1. Audi A4

2. Saab 9-3

3. Lexus IS

4. BMW 3 series

5. Lexus ES 350

6. Acura TL

7. Volvo S60

8. Mercedes C class

9. Saab 9-5

10. Acura TSX

11. Lincoln MKZ

12. Jaguar X-Type

Blkhemi, in view of the results for the C and E as compared to Lexus models, I wonder if you are still confident that the S is safer than the LS?
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Point of clarification:

"DOH"

Do you mean the word as used by James Finlayson, mister double-take, in the old Laurel and Hardy flicks as a sign of exasperation or do you actually mean "duh" which needs no explanation.

A small ting, but I really would like to know

Actually, it's more of a play on words, as I mean "Though", but would like to say it like "DOH!" (Homer Simpson). :)

DrFill
  • thanks, I already checked that out and I am definitely getting the sport suspension (only available on the L). It still is lack luster compared to the BMW and MB. My current dilemma is deciding on the Touring Package which comes with 19" wheels and high friction breaks. I don't know how much difference they will make. And, it is 120 days out for production. In addition, you can't get the Touring Package AND the Luxury Package. For some reason, Lexus thinks you have to make a choice. I don't quite understand it. MB doesn't have that problem.
    Toyota Motor Corp., whose vehicles earn top marks for buyer satisfaction, has more models than any other automaker ranked at the bottom of a crash-protection study.

That's at the bottom of the REAR IMPACT crash study, NOT the OVERALL crash study.
  • jcobyjcoby Posts: 140
    I also did not make the "WOULD HAVE" and "SHOULD HAVE" arguments that you alluded to in your rebuttal. These statements were listed on the official IIHS press release itself; that is why Toyota/Lexus has even been mentioned. If the official press release did not mention these "WOULD HAVE" and "SHOULD HAVE" cases, than the casual and incurious reader would not erroneously conclude that Toyota/Lexus makes the most number of unsafe vehicles. Somehow I don't believe that you would have made the same argument if Audi, BMW, or Mercedes would have been included in the "WOULD HAVE" and "SHOULD HAVE" argument - this argument that Toyota/Lexus manufactures more unsafe vehicles than any other manufacturer. If you will spend some time viewing ALL of the crash test ratings for various models of choice, you will find that most of these models perform no better than the Toyota/Lexus models that you are criticizing.

Side note: While I was initially angry at your post, those feelings have subsided. I have been lurking in this forum since September and felt that your posting was too over-the-top to ignore; I simply had to reply. I really just want you and everyone else to apply a bit more intellectual rigor and critical analysis to data that is presented by the media. Overall, the posters in this forum are clearly more mature and intelligent than those in other forums (such as the infamous Autospies), and I would like for it to remain that way and actually improve a notch. In my daily life I often hear people comment on things that they clearly know little about and it just wears me out.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    This is the news report's EXACT words. I didn't write those words. I only posted them. I still believe they put a dent in the almighty TMC.

Toyota Motor Corp., whose vehicles earn top marks for buyer satisfaction, has more models than ANY other automaker ranked at the BOTTOM of a crash-protection study.
    Toyota and its LEXUS division accounted for nine of 16 vehicles with "acceptable," "marginal" or "poor" rear- impact protection, lowering their OVERALL rating, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety said today.

TagMan

More models overall than any other marque was what I meant.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    jcoby,
    OK... Cool. :shades:
    TagMan
    First we ourselves are accused as spin masters and now Reuters/Bloomberg or whoever printed that story are also anti-TMC spin masters.

I hope this does not go to the World Court. I declare that I am innocent until proven guilty :P
  • I know of 2 people who also had to resort to lemon law on the early new 7 series due to electronic issues. I'm surprised that BMW couldn't fix these issues. That said, I think they make an outstanding product. I owned an 01 330i that was great. Cars are so much more reliable today that even if they trail the Lexus in problems per car, that may translate into one trip to the service center vs none for the Lexus. I had to take my 3er in for a sticky gas pedal fix that a TSB was issued for.
    It was done very quickly and I was back driving with a smile. My LS on the other hand has had 0 issues. Whatever car you decide to go for in the luxury sector, you should be fine on reliability (I think that 7 was really an aberration). In my opinion you should get the one that makes you happiest while driving.
    While it is great security to know that the Lexus is "bullet proof", that aspect usually won't put a smile on your face while you are driving or when you get into the car. I don't think you could go wrong on the reliability front with any of the cars discussed in this forum-I think even the latest 7 series are OK now.
    Keep us posted on your decision.
    Good luck.
  • thanks - I feel as if I have to make make a decision that will involve sacrifice somewhere. Either in performance or my wallet.

But, as far as the BMW is concerned it was not a unique situation. I know three other 7 series owners in the same boat. I was even warned before I purchased the beast. I was naive and thought the same as most in this discussion. However, in the long and arduous lemon process, BMW said they could NOT fix the bugs. Hence, I received a refund in lieu of a replacement vehicle. I would advise all to avoid BMW like the plague.
  • crash test standards seem to be all over the map. I was reading somewhere that the Ford 500 got a gold rating the first year it came out. The second year the rules changed, and it finished close to the bottom in it's segment.
    Hence, I received a refund in lieu of a replacement vehicle. I would advise all to avoid BMW like the plague.

Thanks but no thanks. I currently love being afflicted with that pestilence called the BMW plague and wouldn't have it any other way. In fact there are no two cars on this earth that provides the value of my BMW335i or my wife's BMW 5 series Touring. NONE whatsoever. And I intend to replace my 335i with a new generation M5 ( the third best value car on this planet earth).
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Okay. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Is BMW the best on other planets too?
    Only on the northern part of this planet where I currently reside in (Toronto). :)