Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,781
    Both BMW and Lexus have great engines. It's in all the other things that Lexus outshines BMW.

There is no advantage if the engine lasts 10 years and all the other parts on a BMW wear out or break in 3 years. Why do you think HP leases BMW's for the short term?

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    all the other parts on a BMW wear out or break in 3 years.

How can anyone possibly have a rational discussion with you when that kind of a totally ridiculous statement is made. Do you actually believe that? No... you know better... I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. In that case, you are intentionally poking at dewey, d-man (edited), and hpowders, our primary resident BMW drivers... and for what reason?

Either way, it's either an ignorant statement... or one to provoke and ignite. Or am I missing something?

BTW, hpowders intends to lease short term to look forward to getting a newer model sooner rather than later. It's a great idea, IMO. Sure, the risks of maintenance with ANY car increase with age, but ALL PARTS IN THREE YEARS? Total BS!

TagMan
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    My BMW is 3 1/2 years old and I don't lease. Real men go the distance with BMWs and don't lease. ;-)
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,781
    Let's just talk about cars and drop the name calling, OK? And if someone disagrees with you there is no need to take it as a personal attack. I will assume it is the medication talking and give you the benefit of the doubt here.

We all use a little hyperbole here to make our points so of course not ALL parts in 3 years will wear out. But we all know that maintaining a BMW is an expensive proposition. And IMO they are overpriced to begin with. So, no matter how much you shout in caps and stomp your feet, I still disagree with your assessment.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

We all use a little hyperbole here to make our points so of course not ALL parts in 3 years will wear out.

Ahh, now the truth. Thank you. Another case of mea culpa. Hmmm... hyperbole, eh?

TagMan
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    I had my first LS460 road sighting last night. I thought it looked pretty decent at night. Came up on it from the rear. It actually looks less slab-sided at night because the night light reveals some shape in the sides. Houdini, are you getting one? When?
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    I usually don't comment on ridiculous posts.
    Seems a few of them have just popped up.
    Your right on the money post #22019 is one of the few things making any sense here lately. You and I know my post was written in very clear English. How it could be so misconstrued is a mystery.

I guess some folks are just sore that their favorites didn't pop up on the great Automobile Magazine's coveted All-Star list; to be specific: the LS460 and totally incompetent GS450h.

PS- By the way, an excellent and well-rounded list consisting mostly of fun to drive vehicles in all price categories. One of the best lists I have seen in quite a while.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    XC90 SE Sport starts 36K GBP or 72K USD
    XC90 Executive starting 46K GBP or 90K USD to 100K+ for the V8 edition - WOW

You cannot just use the exchange rate to compare prices in the UK to prices here in the states. Its the same with Canadian car prices. A Nissan 350Z here is around $32K. There its 28K GBP. Our A4 3.2 Quattro is 37K, there its 30K GBP. I don't know what new equipment these Volvos have over the XC90 V8 we already have, but I can absolutely guarantee you that they will not sell a $90K car here in the next 20 years.
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    It'll be fun watching you change your mind a couple hundred times before making the final decision.

Ha, that's what's been happening to me!

I have [at least] a good two years until I get rid of my baby S4, but this is going to be the hardest decision I've ever had to make, car-wise. The S4 was a no-brainer- the only thing I had to choose was a body style. But now...? Between the Carrera/Carrera S Cabriolet, new XKR convertible, CL550 with AMG bodykit (if I can bring myself to get a coupe), the possible one-year-old AM V8 Roadster (poser car, I know), a 650ci, and maybe even an SL550, there's so many tempting companies trying to pry me from my $100,000! Obviously, this is the most self-indulgent car purchase I will make in a long time, so I have to choose wisely.

I'm glad I have another two to three years to decide, while enjoying the Cabriolet along the way.

;)

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Again, everyone has a big month in December. We already know Lexus outsells BMW and Mercedes during the year so why would Dec be any different? Now would be a good time to fall back on sales numbers though seeing as though Lexus new LS didn't make the Automobile Magazine's All-Stars list.

Now would be a good time? You just made my point. Lexus sales rock ALL THE TIME! You act like I just came up with that as a fall-back position, when that's my main point, always and forever.

The commercial runs because the commercial sells. It's 50 times more successful than anything Mercedes is doing.

So when Mercedes comes up with ONE DECENT commercial, this decade, then do a commentary on how lame Lexus commercials are.

No one does more forgettable commercials than Mercedes. Let's look up the word "lame" in the dictionary, and place it on the correct ad campaign.

If you, and everyone else, are spending this much energy commenting on it, while Lexus is selling BIG with it, you're probably using the wrong word. :surprise:

Any description of them is inaccurate if the word "successful" is not included. ;)

Thank you.

DrFill
    Eye sore another one of Mercedes masterpieces right now during "Rainman"!

A faint light shines through some trees, than over a small hill come 10 Mercedes vehicles, in silver, driving two-by-two, with a Red SL55 alone behind then, with a Santa track played in the background.

And that's the commercial?

Should I get the Mapquest for local Benz dealers, or the Milk of Magnesia?

Milk of Amnesia? :sick:

DrFill
    The commercial runs because the commercial sells. It's 50 times more successful than anything Mercedes is doing.

Doc, what's with the "hyperbole"?. "50 times more successful" is entirely unrealistic. As we finally agreed yesterday, it is indeed successful... just leave it at that for goodness sakes. You were more credible then. Now you sound... well, you know.

The facts are that Lexus December sales average an increase of 14%. Some other HELC manufacturers also see increases in December, so the extra few percentage points for Lexus aren't ANYTHING like you are suggesting.

Also, for your information, Infiniti has reported a 25% increase in traffic and sales this December, almost twice that of the Lexus average... so before you go rushing for those pom-poms, consider the facts.

TagMan
    "Eye sore another one of Mercedes masterpieces"...

Doc, BTW, I forgot to compliment you on your clever use of words there on that post. No matter what, it seems you always have your sense of humor, and that's something I appreciate and will always have respect for.

TagMan
    But I'd prefer Merc to clean up his own mess when it comes to dis. ;)

When Lexus started this commercial campaign, in 2000, it set a record for best month ever.

And Merc seems to have a problem showing respect, and giving credit when it is due. Especially since Lexus has taught it's peers lessons in advertising, and Mercedes has learned nothing about it in the 17 years class has been in session.

If you listen to Merc, the Lexus commercial has no merit. When in fact his legendary company still can't script 30 seconds worth watching, going back over the last decade or two?

You don't have such issues, to your eternal credit. :)

I'd ask you which commercial is truly lame, but I wouldn't subject you to the Mercedes commercial. That ain't right! :(

DrFill
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    A 180 degree change in decision regarding BMW diesels in just two weeks? During Nov. 22nd BMW had no diesel plans for the USA and in Dec. 7th BMW has diesel plans for USA. Something must be going on behind the scenes at Munich?

Very little is certain about the BMW diesels that will sell in our continent by 2008 But what is for certain is that BMW will not be using MB Blutec technology and instead they will develop their own urea based technology to scrub nitrogen emissions.

Fortunately for Honda their diesels do not require urea technology since their cars will be able to self-generate enough ammononia to reduce nitrogen to satisfy the new stringent emissions regulations.

Unlike Honda's 2.2L diesels, luxury German diesels will require urea injections. Why? Because unfortunatley larger diesel engines generate a higher level of nitrogen and self-generated ammonia will not be enough to reduce their higher levels of nitrogen. So by necessity urea injections will supplement self-generated ammonia among the German luxury marques.

If Honda introduces diesels with more displacement(V6 engines) then it is almost with certainty that they also will will be using similar urea technology as the Germans.
    Yes, indeed.

And I have no problem with the urea system as it is described. Checking the oil level is likely more of a concern, so the urea is no big deal to me. The tank will get topped up at regular maintenance intervals. Big deal. The urea injection system will be fine and those engines will be terrific.

As far as BMW goes, regardless of the publicity or lack thereof, I'll bet serious green that they will indeed have themselves a good diesel competitor.

TagMan
    By that time every other part on the car would have had to be replaced 4 or 5 times. Talk about a money pit!

The words of someone who never experienced owning a BMW and never will own a BMW.

I hate spending money and I owned a BMW for eight years with minimum maintenance/repair costs. Houdini I think you are mixing up BMW with Ferrari. Unfortunately BMWs are not as exotic as Ferarris but here is an interesting article about the maintenance/depreciation costs involved with owning a Ferrari 550 Maranello

Ferarri
    Checking the oil level is likely more of a concern, so the urea is no big deal to me. The tank will get topped up at regular maintenance intervals. Big deal. The urea injection system will be fine and those engines will be terrific.

Likewise! I am very interested in a future diesel. With regular maintenance there will no major urea bladder issues.

So what happens if a owner ignores low urea levels? The new and upcoming diesel Land Rover(I dont know if it will sell on our shores?) will cut the revs and horsepower of its 3.6L engine to a level in which it can self-generate enough ammonia without the assistance of urea injections. Definitely an inconvenience but that inconvenience would be a non-issue if an owner does regular maintenance on his Land Rover.
    You cannot just use the exchange rate to compare prices in the UK to prices here in the states. Its the same with Canadian car prices.

British car prices make Canadian prices look like bargains and their gas prices are at least double of ours. On top of that if you are in London you end up paying a hefty toll for driving in the city. And good luck finding parking and if you do find parking be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for that priviledge :sick:

If I lived in the UK I would be doing more bicycling and jogging than car driving.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    If you drive a scooter or a hybrid, you can get out of the congestion charges. On the other hand, if you drive an SUV, you're royally screwed.