Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Yeah! You should have known that! What is Edmunds paying you the big bucks for? :)
    What a nerve! $125k would be my absolute limit.

Wonder if Tagman takes personal checks? :confuse:
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    "Looks like Maybach workmanship is not very good either, if the airbags failed to deploy in an accident like that"

You'd think that with the way the car is all mangled on the front passenger side, all of the bags(not just the curtain) would've deployed.

But click the link at take look at the interior shot. Not even so much as a ripple. Everything is still in tact, including all side glass.

I think it's just the opposite. For the car to absorb that much energy and yet leave the occupants in tacts shows that build quality is legendary Benz, both in safety and construction.
  • ctlctl Posts: 123
    I drive a 1997 camry v6, bought new. Which right now I can buy more than 300 of them... but I don't have 7 digits income, my money comes from saving and investing. It just make so much more sense to me right now for money to grow instead of spending them away.

Maybe I will change when I can afford 1000 of them? or until I have a midlife crisis? or, I hope I can stay relatively care free of what I drive.

And yes I do like cars, sport cars. But if I want sport, I can get on a tennis court. Not racetrack, motor sport is no sport to me. And definitely not on the street, it is more ego stroke than anything else.
    I guess we agree to be different.

When you want sport, you find it on the tennis court.

When I want sport, I drive my 545i.

Whatever makes you happy!

I'm sure you are a much better tennis player than I can ever hope to be.
  • Passenger safety cage is pretty much a standard feature on modern cars. It would take far more than half a foot compression in the front to make any real deformation inside the cabin even for a passable family car nowadays. We are not talking about the Yugo from 1984 here.

What's troubling is that the aibag was not deployed despite significant deformation in the front. Something must have gone wrong with the airbag sensor.
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Did these non-sobre German journalists compare these cars during Oktoberfest?

Can you imagine these testers having a comparison discussion in a Edmunds forum? In the Audi Q7 forum they would be discussing the Toyota Yaris. In the MB E Class forum they would be discussing a Chevrolet (Daewoo) SUV. In the Lexus GS hybrid forum they would be discussing the Hyundai Santa Fe?

These guys are so nuts that I think they would be barred from entry into any Edmunds forum site. If only these testers were sobre I think they would have something interesting to say.

1.Audi Q7 4.2 FSI
    2.Toyota Yaris 1.3
    3.VW EOS 2.0 TFSI
    4.Peugeot 207 110 Sport
    5.Mercedes E220 CDI
    6.Ford S-MAX 2.0 TDCI
    7.Fiat Grande Punto 1.9 JTD Sport
    8.Lexus GS450h
    9.Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDI
    10. Chevrolet Captiva
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    But click the link at take look at the interior shot. Not even so much as a ripple. Everything is still in tact, including all side glass.

I think it's just the opposite. For the car to absorb that much energy and yet leave the occupants in tacts shows that build quality is legendary Benz, both in safety and construction.

Thank You. My gawd, any and everything Benz has to have some type of defect. We can clearly see that damage to the front end wasn't minor, but it wasn't nearly anything major either. The hood did exactly what it designed to do, crumple/fold in a pre-determined manner and absorb the energy from the impact. It takes a pretty hard whack to get an airbag to go off nowadays anyway, and a 6000lb Maybach isn't the type of car that would need an airbag to go off in such an impact, the sheer mass and the crumple zones took the brunt of that and worked perfectly. Airbags don't fire and aren't triggered by the amount of damage. They're triggered by the rate deceleration and looking at thos pics it is clear that the car didn't hit a wall or tree, i.e. something stationary that would trigger enough decelerative force to fire and airbag.

M
    I'm thinking this concept can work if:

1. Designate it as a new model series, CLC etc. Make it what the CLS is to the E-Class. Offer both a 600 and "65" AMG version, only V12s and no more than 170-210K for the 600 and 65 models respectively. A "550" version can come later, volume model when the high-end sales cool off.

2. Get the structural rigidity right, a daunting task IMO.

3. Tone it doesn some for production, but don't and I repeat don't make it just a S600 minus the top. It should keep some of the different styling elements and have different body panels and grille from the S-Class. Interior should be somewhat different too, again like the CLS is compared to the E-Class.

M
    When I want sport, I drive my 545i.

And sport performance is likely to be spruced up in future years. Especially among BMWs and maybe even larger HELCs?

Why? The tuner crowd is aging. And as these boy racers age and they earn more money they will be more interested in tuning BMWs than Hondas. The BMW 335i is likely to get the attention of the more seasoned tuner crowd. And who knows maybe as the tuner crowd gets even older and richer in future years their attention may focus on twin turbo versions of HELCs.

SOURCE: link title

BMW's new 335i adds touches that may draw the speed-minded 'tuner' crowd.
    Yes, that would be those youthful drivers who think the only thing sweeter than a buzzing 4-inch exhaust tip is the sound of a chattering turbocharger, whose Honda Civics sport wings larger than a HondaJet airplane.

If the thought of these punks rolling along in Bimmers seems odd, consider that according to the Specialty Equipment Market Association, which represents makers of auto add-ons, the tuner crowd generated $5.04 billion in U.S. retail sales last year. Clearly, these kids merit their reputation for sinking every last bit of disposable income into their cars. But it's been over a decade since the tuner scene got its start in Southern California, so many of them are now well into their 30s and hold down jobs that pay more than delivering pizzas.

BMW may not admit to actively courting this market, but it can't pretend it isn't aware of the import tuners. No one in the car business underestimates them as style mavens or doubts their influence on automotive trends. (It wasn't an auto maker that decided that big, 18-inch wheels look cool.) And even if the Germans didn't hold a marketing clinic for tuners to ponder the direction of the new 3-Series coupe, the results speak for themselves.

Exhibit A is that the top-of-the-line 3-Series now has a turbocharged engine. Tuners like turbos because they can dramatically boost horsepower, and the 335i has not just one but two of them. They help launch the car like a weapon snapped from a catapult. The 3.0-liter in-line six-cylinder engine puts out an impressive 300 horsepower, but what's really amazing is its peak torque output of 300 pound-feet occurs when the engine is revving as low as 1,400 rpm. This makes for brutal acceleration at any speed, and rewards a medieval driving style in which every car on the road is fair game for passing
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,862
    It is really hard to tell what happened to this car. Collision looks minor but yet it was enough to total a $200,000.(salvage title) car? I can see totaling an inexpensive car with relatively minor damage but why this one?

It almost looks like the front of this car was twisted in some way. Very wierd. I am not sure just what triggers the air bags but I would think that if you totaled the car due to front end damage the airbags should have deployed. Had to be a misfire.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

Houdini and Brightness,

how can you make a conclusion without knowing any details about the accident?

The safety of a Maybach in question because of these few pictures? Isn't it interesting how some people are so eager to lay blame where there is no proven blame.

As a completely unbiased and objective forum member I would never ever do such a thing if I saw a few pictures of a smashed up Lexus LS. What would be the point?
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,862
    Hmmmm....I guess the same way you made your conclusion without knowing any details, eh?. :shades:

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

As a representative of older punkdom, let me say that the 0-60mph in 5.4 seconds acceleration of the twin-turbo BMW 335i coupe is tuned with enough excitement for me.

I couldn't do any of that stuff anyway since I lease and after-market tuning is a huge no-no!
  • Dewey,

Is that a serious question, or are you being tongue-in-cheek again? I'm not being argumentative, but it's really hard to tell.

I have had my share of accidents (none of them were my faults, too much driving in the city), from minor fender-bender to severe accidents where the car (a 5 series) got shortened by a foot, spun around and myself knocked unconscience for a few minutes. Just like people can estimate speed from tire tracks, the collision result/deformation itself gives a good estimate for the severity of the impact. Look at that picture carefully, you notice that the hood is significantly curled up and the lower front end collapsed (look at the front left corner in front of the wheel). Unless you are telling me Maybach front end is utterly flimsy, that is a significant impact. It's reasonable to expect that the airbag should have deployed.
  • I wouldn't rule out a wall. We don't see any tell-tale paint mark from another car to idicate a car-to-car collision. That being said, regardless what it was, if that other object helped alleviate decelearation, it should also have helped alleviate deformation on the front end of this car. In other words, the front end damage tells a pretty good story. It takes a lot of energy to result in damage like this. Perhaps the owner got rid of it because the lack of airbag deployment in such a significant accident? I would. Not saying everything from MB is wrong, but this lack of airbag deployment in a significant accident certainly does not inspire confidence in this particular car.
  • The more is always better ;-) It would not surprise me if BMW itself cranks up the turbo boost in the following model years. It's certainly an interesting market proposition. Chipping for 15-20% power boost on BMW's used to be quite readily available before the OBDII era. Now the turbo re-opens the door that was shut by OBDII. After several years of high lease-return rates, I'd think anything that can convince people to keep their cars is a worth pursueing at BMW.
    Well that's fine with me as long as BMW does it before I get it.
    I have to give the vehicle back pretty much how I got it.
    You guys don't understand how airbags work it seems.

Whether or not the car was deemed to be totalled has nothing to do with whether or not the airbags fired or not. The car clearly isn't "totalled" as far as the front end goes. Did you look at all the pics? The damage is basically on the passenger side and the driver side isn't even pushed it. This suggest a off-set impact with something other than a tree or wall. In a car of this size and weight it would take a mighty hard smack into something stationary to trigger an airbag. Just looking at the damage isn't the end-all of how severe the impact was. Most if not all cars today are designed to deform in a certain manner in order to absorb the energy from the impact. MB, Volvo in particular pioneered this and that Maybach did exactly what it was supposed to do. Unless the decelerative force reaches a certain point the airbags are supposed to fire. Every car and brand has a different (not the much of a difference though) threshold for this, ana 6000lb Maybach isn't going fire its airbags unless the impact is severe. The interior doesn't show any signs of deformation and the glass isn't even cracked. That means that body took the energy of the impact and managed it brilliantly.

Put it this way, why do you think they uses stationary objects to test airbags in full frontal or off-set frontal crashes? The force of deceleration is greatest this way and the airbags will fire everytime. You can't simply look at the damage to the car and say that the airbags should have fired, it doesn't work that way on a Mercedes, Chevy, Hyundai, Toyota, Porsche, Jaguar or an Aston-Martin, i.e every car on the market.

How can you say it must have been a misfire if in the same post you say that you don't know what triggers an airbag? Clear and present contradiction. Doesn't make sense.

M
    Its the same old thing Dewey, a new knock on Mercedes, on their safety even. I find is particulary absurd that we don't know the details of the accident, yet some are so ready to assume the worst. This is only because the Maybach is a Mercedes-Benz product.

M