Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    "I will never buy a car with an automatic clutch."

Drive a DSG-equipped Audi and you'd quickly change your mind. They're actually more fun to drive than some hi-po flat-out 6spd. manual cars.
    "I am confident that the new BMW will beat the RS4 and at the same time the Bimmer will be offered at a price that does not border on the side of RS4 ridicilousness."

I'm sure that BMW will not make the mistake of new M3 not being able to hold it's own against the '07 RS4.

But that's where the buck stops as the '08 RS4 will put the heat on even more with a 4.2L bi-Turbo 480hp engine and near 50/50 weight distribution(never mind the fact that the much heavier RS4 already outhandles the last M3).

I'll hold you to those statements my friend. Also expect a sizeable increase over the $55k M3 price tag, more along the lines of 65-70, right along with the RS4 in '08.
    Just back from Vermont for the New Year. Hopefully everyone had a joyous and wonderful New Year.

I had the fantastic experience of borrowing my neighbor's XKR over the holiday again.

I must admit, on condition with a scheduled drive to test a SL550, the XKR may very well be the next convertible.

The more I drive the car, the more I really want it. The improved feel of this car is so apparent over it's predecessor that it completely removes you away from that model, who can trace it's roots some 3 decades.

Everything about the car screams attention, whether it's the interior, exterior, or overall design execution, this car deserves all of the attention it gets.

While not exactly the fastest(an SL65 will slaughter it), it is in the upper ranks regarding handling, especially equipped with Jag's super sticky 20" rubber.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    What the hell is wrong with these buyers? Have they never read CR or JD Power before? Dont they know that Lexus is number one in reliability? I just dont understand it?

LOL... Dewey, for me it gets down to this...

There are cars for riding in and there are cars for driving in. Both have their merits, IMO.

I suppose if I was currently looking for a smooth sedan to primarily ride in, the LS would be a decent choice if it weren't for its boring style. That leaves MB S550, Jag XJ Vanden Plas, and Audi A8. If I was looking for a sedan to drive in, however, the BMW's, the Q, the MB AMG's and S600, and the Audi S8 would then be among my choices.

TagMan
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    read the lap times at button willow where the Audi was 2 tenths of a second faster over the much more powerful Benz.

My point in the figure eight was to show that it beat the M5.

If a car is out performed, and out powered, it shouldn't be showing up two seconds ahead of the competition.

Spin how you want, maybe the Bush administration would like to see your resume. Bottom line, the track at button willow shows in my mind who is the better performer. And all that weight on the front end, and down on power?

Please save the lane change tests results for a Lexus vs Caddy comparo.

If the Benz was really that agile, don't you think along with the huge power advantage, it would kill the Audi?

The track is the final solution my friend. Anything else is like taste testing fine chocolate with livestock for judges.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Drive a DSG-equipped Audi and you'd quickly change your mind.

Fair enough but if it can replace a smooth automatic then it would be worth it to me. It certainly won't replace a manual.

They're actually more fun to drive than some hi-po flat-out 6spd. manual cars.

Impossible in my book. Nothing can replace that third pedal which makes the human being a physical part of the drive train. Motors didn't replace the sail for the connection to the elements and no form of automatic transmission will replace a sports car or sport sedan with manual, regardless of how fast they can shift.

Hey, does anyone around here sail?
  • brightness04brightness04 Posts: 3,151
    have you not forgotten something in that comparison of yours above?

No, not at all. I already addressed resale value after 100k miles when I called that a toss up against two sets of tires, two sets of brakes, 60k and 90k services, and the plethra of service and maitenace items between 50k and 100k miles. My estimate is about 10-15% of the car's MSRP for all these items. You must be the best used car salesman in the world. 35% MSRP after 100k miles? What kind of sucker pay that kind money for an old car?

Nope that is no assumption. That is based on my actual experience of 8 year BMW ownership.

You were just lucky. There are people who experience major problem from the get-go. That's why there's a thing called expectation value. No one should expect the expectation value of 8yr old car having major problem to be zero-probability event, regardless what brand. The cost of major repair is fully covered for the 27-mo leaser.

3. Glad you found out about gap insurance. In any case, owning the full boat is equivalent to leasing without gap insurance: when accident happen and the regular insurance pays less than you paid for the car, you are the gap insurance underwriter :-) Regular insurance is not obliged to put you in a new car even if you own the totalled one. In a lease without gap insurance, you may be obliged to continue paying, but that's only because you have paid less up to that point to begin with. So lack of gap insurance should not be a deterrent to lease

4. Very high mileage can certainly reduce the benefit of a lease. Very high mileage also kills the resale value of a car. If your old car had 200k miles, nobody would buy it either. Still, the buyer of your car got mugged :-) 35% of MSRP after 8years and about 100k miles?? Where can I find suckers like that? ;-)

5. No, after blowing the wad 100% MSRP, you do not get to get another car for 8+ years without making more funds available. By contrast, someone leasing can use 18% of MSRP for a new car every 27 months. Do the math, at that rate, the same funds can keep the leaser going, one new car after another, for more than 10 years! Sure, your 335i is better than 328i for now, but in his 2nd or 3rd through the 5th car, the leaser will have better car than yours. Let's not forget, the MSRP on 335i is also higher than MSRP on 328i.

Brightness what on earth do you know about Warren Buffett?

You were the one who brought him in here, not me. I have no idea who Abdul Al Beffett is.

As I said I think you are mixing up life style choices with financial choices. Who the hell buys luxury car for shrwed money management reasons anyways? I buy my cars strictly for pleasure.

You were the one who claimed leasing was a poor financial choice. I'm only interested in finding out the real cost of getting one of those cars. Lease deals are obviously the dealer maker on some brands.
    Yup, sure enough, more than one way to skin a cat. That $12k can be handed over to the consumer in the form of outright price discount, or lower interest rate, or lease residual subsidy. It all comes down to the more or less same $12k discount.
    Really? That extra length behind the driver's seat, like S600, helps driving? At least Dewey is consistent. 335i is for driving, probably outhandling the 7, Q, AMG, S600 and S8 put together. The only trait 7, Q, AMG, S600 and S8 have in common is costing a lot of money :-)
    Yeah, that and being worlds more entertaining to drive than a Lexus could ever hope to be ;)
    I really doubt any of the HELC cars is better handling than any of the mid-size offerings from the same HELC-making companies. Put it this way: let's assume 750 is the best handling among the HELC's, and A6 (FWD platform and all) being the most pathetic among all midsize offerings from HELC makers. It's highly doubtful even 750is outhandles the lowly A6. Physics do matter.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Really? That extra length behind the driver's seat, like S600, helps driving? At least Dewey is consistent. 335i is for driving, probably outhandling the 7, Q, AMG, S600 and S8 put together. The only trait 7, Q, AMG, S600 and S8 have in common is costing a lot of money

And that they are HELM(C)s... Guess I should apologize for only talking 'bout the High-End cars on this forum. What the heck was I smokin', eh?

TagMan
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I regretfully have to inform you that you lost our MB E vs. BMW 5 2006 sales bet. Oh and by the way how did that brochure taste after that other MB S Cabrio bet of ours ? At least I am glad you are still alive

I like how you put that. I beat you to it though, I already capitulated in the LPS thread. You don't win the other bet, at least not yet. For a brochure to be printed that means the car is in the production in a showroom for sale. Not yet!

What the hell is wrong with these buyers? Have they never read CR or JD Power before? Dont they know that Lexus is number one in reliability? I just dont understand it?

Ha!

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I am confident that the new BMW M3 will beat the RS4 and at the same time the Bimmer will be offered at a price that does not border on the side of RS4 ridiculousness.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. BMW's performance car track record lately has been very hit-and-miss, while Audi is knocking them out of the park. The TT can go toe-to-toe with the Z4, and the RS4 has gotten loads of ("best Audi ever") reviews. And these are cars that still have the old Audi front heavy handicap. A properly balanced, UHP Audi should give the M guys nightmares.
    Nothing wrong with a S600, S8 and XKR sharing a garage. Your garage will look like a mini-U.N.

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Nothing wrong with a S600, S8 and XKR sharing a garage. Your garage will look like a mini-U.N.

Plus, there's something to be said for the XKR's exclusivity. I see SLs all the time, but I have the only XK in town.
    I see SLs all the time, but I have the only XK in town.

That is the price of success.

M
    enough of this nonesense.

I heard Acura is releasing a new NSX concept in Detroit. Pictues please, and thoughts if you would be so kind.
  • And, as a good part of it was nonsense, posts have been removed. Carry on.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

HELC cars are for "riding" in. It's oxymoronic to "drive" a HELC car for its track performance.