Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    M5 only went up 10 grand and that was a brand new V10 with a pile of crackerjack surprises.

Wow! The prices shot up that high in the USA. OK in that case Blkhemi may be right in terms of US prices. The marketing wizards at BMW may not be as bright as I had expected them to be.

BUT my bet is still on with regards to to RS4 vs. M3 performance ;)
    If depreciation be the food of leasing, deal on; Give me excess of it!

Was that from King Lear or Macbeth?
    I can understand your desire to lease cars every few years. I myself may be tempted to lease but my frugality always gets in the way :(
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    No. It was from Twelfth Night. "If music be the food of love, play on; give me excess of it."

I just want to drive as many fine cars as possible in the time I have left. If I knew of a better way, I would surely do it.
    Well, stay away from those sporty suspensions for the time being.

I hope you are correct about the diesel situation. Can you imagine a full-sized SUV averaging 25 mpg? Diesel can make it happen.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    DEARBORN, Mich. (AP) - Ford CEO Alan Mulally said he respects Toyota and its luxury brand, but that he canceled his order for a Lexus LS......

Hopefully he's able to at least drive an XJ. I wouldn't want to have to give up an LS for something like a Town Car.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I heard Acura is releasing a new NSX concept in Detroit. Pictues please, and thoughts if you would be so kind.

Of course, I won't hold this outburst against you. I'll have a full report and pics sometime after Monday the 15th. I'm taking 2 1G pic cards and three batteries this year so the camera can keep up.

M
    Yeah I see my last reply was removed, oh well.

Yeah the RS6 should lead the class for a few years without question.

M
    I just hope it wont be a glossy brochure with very hard edges

Either way I'm in trouble I think.

M
    I'm taking 2 1G pic cards and three batteries this year so the camera can keep up.

Ouch, thats a lot of batteries! How many shots do you get out of a full charge?
    Well last year the battery gave out around 600 pics or so, the card itself can hold about 700 pics. Sounds like a lot of pics I know, but when I go back on that second day I always realize that I've missed something and its easy to rack up another 200 or so pics. The batteries are really compact as I'm sure you know, but they don't last long at such an event. This year like every years seems to be "bigger, and better than every before" as they say.

M
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    ...on an improving path...

Volkswagen workers like Ronald Wachendorf, a 50-year-old mechanic, have enjoyed the shortest work week in the global auto industry: 28.8 hours, pulling down a full week's pay while working a day less than the 40-hour norm at General Motors Corp. and even less than the 35-hour standard at other German car makers....

But now, Mr. Wachendorf is having to adjust to a more hectic schedule -- at least by Volkswagen standards. In September, Mr. Wachendorf's union agreed to extend working hours at the company's German plants by more than four hours a week, to 33 hours, after the auto maker threatened to shift production outside the country. Volkswagen won't pay the workers extra to compensate for their longer schedule....

The change under way at Volkswagen reflects a broader trend in Europe's largest economy. With unemployment running around 10%, companies have more leverage to demand sacrifices of workers. Increasingly, businesses are pressuring employees to work longer for the same amount of money and threatening to shift production abroad.

In a country that is home to the world's best-paid auto workers, Volkswagen goes even further -- paying $69 an hour, compared with the national average of $44 and the U.S. standard of $34. Because of its reluctance to cut jobs, Volkswagen employs thousands of workers to make seat covers, exhaust systems and steering gears -- work most auto makers outsource.

source WSJ
  • ctsangctsang Posts: 237
    Mulally referred to Toyota as "the finest machine in the world, the finest production system in the world," adding that "we (Mulally and Fields) went to study with the master."
    Well last year the battery gave out around 600 pics or so, the card itself can hold about 700 pics. Sounds like a lot of pics I know, but when I go back on that second day I always realize that I've missed something and its easy to rack up another 200 or so pics.

Wow, I don't even take that many shots when on vacation. What camera do you use?
    Mulally referred to Toyota as "the finest machine in the world, the finest production system in the world," adding that "we (Mulally and Fields) went to study with the master."

He's right. Compare Toyota to the above VW situation, a textbook example of how to be unprofitable. Porsche may brag about being the "world's most profitable automaker", but its much easier to enjoy that status selling exotics with $15K option packages than it is to be a mass marketer like Toyota.

They might also want to spend some time studying Lexus (or even Cadillac), as those Lincoln guys have no idea what the hell they are doing. If there was a JD Power award for the most time spent stumbling around in the dark without a clue, Lincoln would win it hands down.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Well, stay away from those sporty suspensions for the time being.

No problem... Lotus "Sport Pack" / "Track Pack" suspension is history for me. Believe me, other cars are cream puffs by comparison. ;)

I hope you are correct about the diesel situation. Can you imagine a full-sized SUV averaging 25 mpg? Diesel can make it happen.

It WILL happen. Your location and diesel-fuel availability is certainly a variable. Next time you take the 5-Series to your local gas station(s) and fill-er-up, take a moment to ask the folks at the station(s) if they have any info about upcoming availability of diesel fuel.

If they don't know yet, continue to ask again occassionally throughout the year. Most likely, it's not a matter of IF it will happen, but WHEN it will happen. Hopefully soon enough for YOU.

TagMan
    Tagman,

Previously I shared your excitement about diesel HELCs but I think there will be obstacles to their success in North Amercica. My view was expressed on post number 22613:

dewey, "High End Luxury Cars" #22613, 29 Dec 2006 7:39 am

I find a 2.2l diesel Accord far more exciting than any diesel HELC. Interestingly the hyrbid Accord will be discontinued. Unfortunately a Honda V6 diesel will likely have the same Urea issues as the German HELCs.

Honda president Takeo Fukui has been quoted in the Japanese press as saying that a next generation V-6 diesel will be commercialized by Honda, and is set to slot into the Ridgeline along with other unspecified models.

First, though, Honda will kick off with its 2.2-2.4-litre class, four-cylinder “super clean” turbodiesel that’ll run in the next Stateside Accord, appearing around 2009. This is expected be a breakthrough engine, with emissions as clean as clean as a modern gasoline powerplant, able to meet even the toughest regulations in the world (i.e. the EPA’s Tier II Bin 5 regulations).

Once this Accord diesel goes on sale, the Accord hybrid will be quietly

SOURCE: WINDING ROAD

I know our disputes always ends up being friendly and I know they will not end up resembling a GasCarFan vs. a Dieselican dispute (God forbid). ;)
    Hey ctsang,

I knew you would love that quote from the article I linked regarding Mually's LS cancellation.

Similar quotes were made by CEOs from BMW, MB and VW and other American auto executives. Most auto executives worldwide are in awe with Toyota's production system.

I've never heard such a quote from Nissan's Ghosn or Honda's CEO. I guess they themselves have a great production system (although not as great as Toyota's). Oh well I guess it is harder to compliment a rival when they are just across the road from you. (figuratively speaking ofcourse) ;)
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,206
    . . .as those Lincoln guys have no idea what the hell they are doing. If there was a JD Power award for the most time spent stumbling around in the dark without a clue, Lincoln would win it hands down.

To which I will add, amen.

I had one (count it) shot at buying a vehicle designed & manufactured in the USA, and I'll never do it again. The Lincoln LS had quite a bit of promise, all squandered in a few years.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Previously I shared your excitement about diesel HELCs but I think there will be obstacles to their success in North America....

I find a 2.2l diesel Accord far more exciting than any diesel HELC.

Dewey,

I'm personally excited about diesels in ALL segments... including the ones you mentioned.

To say we are early in the game is an understatement. It is always a possibiity that the diesel engines won't turn out to be as expected and/or hoped, but everything so far is pointing to success.

It seems logical, at first, to consider a diesel engine for a truck or SUV. And after that, it is easy to imagine the small diesels such as VW's diesels of recent years. Next, we foresee slightly larger diesels in vehicles like the Accord, which also makes great sense.

It takes a little more of a stretch to really see them in the HELCs, I agree. So far, Mercedes has not placed a diesel in a North American HELC, but has chosen the E-Class as their sedan of choice. Is it because the diesel isn't quite smooth enough for a car like the S-Class? Not enough power? These are questions to be answered as time goes on over the next years, and we will find out.

If a powerful and quiet diesel can indeed make its way into a HELC, and it is not a compromise, then I see it as a terrific step forward. If there are too many compromises for the HELC segment, then it will become known to us. But, I believe in the technological capabilities of the manufacturers and I believe that this point in history is revealing more of their capabilities than in a very long time.

With regards to the use of diesels in this HELC segment, I'm certainly not ruling out their potential in advance, nor am I just automatically expecting diesels to be big winners right out of the gate. Who would have ever expected to see a hybrid in a HELC? Yet, years after the fist generation hybrid, look now at the upcoming Lexus LS600hL, for example. So, progress should also be a factor with this new generation of cleaner-burning, smoother and quieter diesels.

BMW, Audi and Mercedes (in this segment) are amazing companies, and I imagine that great things will likely come from them with regards to their future diesels.

TagMan
    I will. Thanks for the advice!