Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    The C-XF? So far I think it looks pretty good, though I need to see more of it. The only place where they really lost me is that square mouth that it has, like some kind of sucker fish. Definitely worse than Audi's Big Mouth Bass, which I've grown to tolerate. I think it was a very smart idea for them to come up with a new name for what is the first truly "new" Jag sedan in a VERY long time. Much better to say the S-type is dead, this is the new Jag, rather than this is the new S-type.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,779
    Hmmmm...I see the LS 460 was just named International Car of the Year for 2007. It actually won in 2 categories, the second being Most Respected Car of the Year, whatever that means.

I knew it was only a matter of time before these awards started piling up. This is probably the finest automobile ever built, by far. Of course this is just my opinion, but my opinion is extremely important to me. :)

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• mdchachimdchachi Posts: 275
    I have a quick question... do the voice recognition systems in any of these vehicles allow dialog-style interaction? By that, I mean do you have to press a "talk" button each time you speak to the system or are there any systems where you need only press the talk button once, at the start of a dialog (like OnStar). Thanks.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    I could be corrected on this, but I do believe that the voice command systems all require the push of a button just prior to issuing the command, or replying to a question.

TagMan
  • ctsangctsang Posts: 237
    In December Lexus dealers delivered 3865 LS Series to customers, the most of any import luxury marquee.
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    I've noticed them starting to refer in ads to the E350 as a "sport sedan". Isn't that a new approach for them? Maybe they're trying to emphasize sport a bit more, as is Lexus?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I've noticed them starting to refer in ads to the E350 as a "sport sedan". Isn't that a new approach for them? Maybe they're trying to emphasize sport a bit more, as is Lexus?

Well for the first time in years the E has an optional sports packace that is more than just cosmetics so that is what they've been harping about. It is also a no-cost option so most of the 07' E's I've seen have it.

M
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well Detroit opens to the public on Saturday so I'll see you guys in a few days!!!!!

M
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    Enjoy! Looking forward to the annual Merc1 show report!
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    Congratulations Houdini, and all Lexus fans.

A deserving award for a very respected automobile
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    O K merc --drive carefully with the new Mercedes and don`t get a ticket Tony
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    Yes, I still have the S8, in fact it won't be going anywhere.

We had to ditch one of them, and the S600 surprisingly was the sacrficial lamb. Didn't want to do it trust me, but it was the right thing to do at the right time, especially when there is a buyer ready to plop 140k in your lap.

So, it's down to the XKR or the SL550. Will no doubt have to order either, so there is no rush. I'm just completely torn over the both of them.

The SL550. Prestige. Heritage. Respect.
    XKR. Pedigree. Sexy. Desirable. History.

Now do you get my drift?
    Get the Jag. If the XF is a flop, there may not be another one.
    I think you know lg would tell you to get the Jag, afterall he has an XK himslef. And you know I have a secret love with the Jags, and always have. I'd love to see you get that Jag, I'll admit, but if it were MY money, I know for a fact that if it wasn't going to be the Porsche, I'd be purchasing the SL, as much as I love the Jag. I like the hardtop on it, and the rollbar/wind-deflector device. I like the handsome good looks, and the rock-solid iconic design. The 550 engine is the best to come along in a long time... it leaves the AMG less significant, IMO. I'm remembering my experience a few months ago. I loved the test drive so much, I almost didn't buy the Porsche. Being in the driver's seat of an SL is wonderful, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

I really hate to differ with lg on this, because he is one of the most knowledgable guys on this forum, but since you are after our final opinions... I'm going to give you mine.

So, as I said, if it were truly my own money, I'd buy the icon... the Mercedes Benz SL550... final answer.

TagMan
    I just don't think the SL is a head turning car anymore. I see them all the time, and I barely even notice them. The XKR on the other hand, everyone will turn their heads to gawk at it. I'm willing to give up the solidity of the hardtop for actual trunk space. The XKR in black with the 20" wheels looks lithe, sleek, and absolutely vicious. The SL (and this is just MO) looks almost doughy with that huge rear deck.

To me, its not even a contest. The Jag says "I eat SL550s for breakfast". All that said of course, I already bought my XK. In another 3-4 years or so I'll be trading up to the XKR. This is going to be your car, not mine, so get whichever one fits you the best.
    lg,

The SL's hardtop is sleek, unlike the canvas of the Jag.

and the front end is much more distinctive. The SL is still a gorgeous headturner, there's no question about that.

To be perfectly honest with you, the real problem I have with the appearance of the Jag is the snout.

The Jag's snout looks like a catfish.

The front bumber assembly looks huge somehow and the seam between that huge bumper and the hood is too obvious for my taste. Otherwise the Jag is beautiful. Overall, I think the Jag is a beautiful car, but when it comes to spending the money, I'd put it on the SL, without a doubt.

It's blkhemi's purchase, as we know, and I can guarantee you that I'll support him and congratulate him no matter what he decides, that's for sure.

TagMan
    This is the latest pic I've found of the upcoming 2009 Porsche Panamera. I've been interested in this car since it was first announced, but I cooled off considerably when some of the photos came out. Now I realize that those photos were much too early to really know what the car will be. So, my interest is re-ignited again.

TagMan
  • brightness04brightness04 Posts: 3,151
    The front of SL looks like a C-class, a car that costs a third the price of SL.
  • brightness04brightness04 Posts: 3,151
    Neat. I always had a fondness for 928 fastback. Having 4 doors makes it even better.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    I've just gotten back from Detroit, and all I can say is if GM can't get some of the cool stuff that I saw out to market, then for sure that mass-grave that is already dug out is for them.

In particular, the Volt concept is probably the best iteration of all-electric type vehicles ever. It's all electric, it does require plug-in after intermittently, but has a regeneration motor to prevent outages.

All else, from the new Silverado to the new '08 Malibu, the Vette SS(650hp) should be witness enough that they've really started to conform to the public opinion on what they should do.

They are even starting to abandon the very venerable but super-old pushrod engines and 4-speed autoboxes(thankfully). They've got a new replacement for all of the pushrod V6's(the 3.6L High-Feature engine will in effect replace all car V-6's, and will be enlarged to 3.8L liters to fit the new RWD Impala with 310-hp) and V8 engines. The Northstar will be replaced with a 5.0L V8 that makes roughly 400hp, naturally.

But the shocker for that engine is that it will increase in bore to 6.0L to compete with, you guessed, the big bores from MB. And along with that shocker is the next gen big Caddy. It is said to go RWD/AWD and will now compete with the big boys, altho it will play value leader with the Lexus LS wil prices to start in the low $60k's. It will use the 400hp motor as the base, but will essentially be available in Sport and "V" models with 505hp and 600hp, respectively, from the all-new 6.0L "DOHC"(not OHV) V-8's.

Now with all of this said, will this be enough to get people to buy GM again. For sure it's all great on paper, but will there be fire with that flame, particularly with Cadillac's resurfacing upmarket again? If the way they're morphing the Corvette and the new awesome(and some think 3-Series beating) '08 CTS is any indication, they may be on to something, hopefully BIG....... I personally wish them well..