Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    Thanks for the Detroit review Merc.

Just MHO, but I think the new XK just kills the SL.

I have had some significant seat time in the new X5 and can tell you all that it is the best high end SUV out there right now. It's Lexus quiet and smooth, and still has that great BMW steering. For long road trips I think the Q7 is better though.

I think that we're all forgetting that the new ISF has to compete with the brilliant RS4 as well. Top Gear recently tested the RS4 against the M3 with the competition package, and the RS4 just killed it.

I fear that the new M will displace the Audi, but I don't expect the Lexus to do much but show up. [based on Lexus history.]
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Either disk format, you'll still want 1080p capability in the tv. BTW, there is now a universal HD disk player announced at CES that will play BOTH HD formats AND current formats as well... an all-in-one player! Yeah, a solution at last!

X5 does sound good. Wonder if there will be a diesel option in the future.

TagMan
    Based upon the current trends, there should be a poster called audi1 very soon. Or is there already such a poster?Maybe merc1 will change his name.

TagMan
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Yeah the X5 having "seven seats" is just for marketing only. The commercial they have going where it is lapping the 'Ring is pretty misleading when all those adults get out of it. The ones in the rear seats wouldn't be able to walk!

Again, thanks for the review. Just think... one day in the future we might actually love a Lexus!

Anything is possible. I really feel like the LF-A could be the first.

M
    O K merc --drive carefully with the new Mercedes and don`t get a ticket Tony

I did drive "carefully" and didn't get any tickets. There was a lot of 95-100 mph crusing on the way back though. Effortless at those speeds. There is a sticker inside the gas cap that tells you what tire PSI should be for "sustained driving over 100 mph", only a German car would have such a sticker.

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Unfortunately, that LG universal player may never happen. The DVD forum either is suing or will sue because it cant read the HD-DVD menu system, and thus cant be called an HD-DVD player. HD-DVD is the better format, its cheaper and looks better. Unfortunately Sony is loathe to give up on their failures (Beta, MD, Memory Stick, SACD, UMD) so expect this pointless war to drag on for several more years.

Plus, $1200 is a bit much for something made by LG.
    The IS-F definately is as you described. It isn't going to matter that it isn't in the same league as the BMW M3... all the comps will be between it and the Bimmer... just wait and see.

I'm not so sure about that. I think it will be compared with the C63 AMG more than anything. They're both going to be automatic only and 4-doors. The M3 will no doubt offer a manual after the uproar about the SMG only M5/M6 and the M3 will be a 2-door initially.

M
    Too bad about the lawsuit in the face of the solution. I'm disliking Sony more and more as the years go by. Too often the brand name itself is more valuable than their products. Fortunately there are often better alternatives out there.
  • brightness04brightness04 Posts: 3,151
    Also make sure the HDMI connection actually works. I just took home a $2000 (cheapest, only 40") 1080p Sony LCD before Xmas. The picture is fantastic, over the air, through component input and computer D-sub input. However, neither of the two HDMI connectors seem to work. How am I gonna watch movie when the studios clamp down on DRM control?! It's going to be a royal pain-in-the-tail to haul it back.
    I think it will be compared with the C63 AMG more than anything.

Nope. Hate to say it, but the Autospies website (not an endorsement!) has a video that says how the IS-F will be a major comparison to the M3. It's what people think of, even if it isn't a truly appropriate comp.

And, yes, I agree the C63 AMG will get its day in the sun with the IS-F as well. But...

Trust me, the major comparisons will be between the IS-F and the M3... afterall the M3 is the king of the hill, at least perceptually.

TagMan
    Sometimes the device that actually connects to the Sony's HDMI input has has to have its own HDMI output selected. Make sure the output selection of the device is set to HDMI instead of component, providing the device allows for output selection.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    SUV diesels are inevitable, IMO. No class of vehicle needs diesel engines more.

Automobile Magazine only got 11 mpg with the 2007 X5.
    Most normal folks could probably expect 15-18.
    Imagine being able to get 23 mpg out of that beast.

Too bad they didn't come up with a universal VCR that could play VHS and Betamax. A lot of folks got burned.
    Well actually all 4 cars will be compared, the C63, M3, RS4, and IS-F. The thing is unless the IS-F goes a way different route from the usual Lexus type suspension and surprises at the last minute with a manual it won't be any competition for the M3. The C63 might be dynamically going by AMG's recent efforts, but it won't have a manual either. Being compared to and actual competiton for is two different things, but we'll see.

M
    IMHO, comparing the "4.9 or less" from IS-F to the 4.9 from 335i is somewhat missing the point. "4.9 or less" for IS-F is manufacturer's spec, whereas 335i's manufacturer's spec is 5.4 for 0-60 manual, and 5.6 for automatic. At that performance level, half a second is enough room for an entire different class. The manual vs. automatic also makes a huge difference. Magazine reviewers have no qualms about revving the engine sky high and then dump clutch, whereas for someone who owns (or for that matter leases) a new 335i, if the person chooses to drive like that, the transmission wouldn't last through the first year, or even 6 months. In contrast, results with automatics are repeatable by flooring the gas pedal; it's not good for the car either in the long run, but nothing like killing the synchro and clutch within a few months with dump-clutch starts.

Until the cars are physically avaialble for reviews, I'd say the 400hp V8's propelling cars weighing about 3500lb each make IS-F and M3 quite well matched, at least for the vast majority who are not obsessed with manual transmission.
    I tried both a Sony upscaling DVD player, and the HD cable box (two of them) from Verizon (Fiber Optics). Three Verizon guys spent four hours in my living room. We made all the right output selections . . . no luck. The HD cable box can put an image on the TV for about 10 minutes, then image freezes up and go blank. garr! I'm going to insist on HDMI test at the store next time.
    hey, which AVS forum is that? I can use some help. XBR2 is certainly nice. Are you by any chance using HDMI input? I got the Plain-Jane Bravia KDL40V2500 for only $2000, in the hopes of saving perhaps $500 compared to the 40" XBR2; hey 1080p is 1080p, right? Wrong! The plain-jane V2500 gives me a boat load of useless composite inputs, but only two component and two un-useable HDMI; that's not nearly enough to juggle HD cable, DVD, and HD video recorders. ahh, penny-wise and pound-foolish if I have to take this door stopper back.
    Being compared to and actual competiton for is two different things, but we'll see.

Well said, and that's exactly the point. Just playing in the same arena doesn't mean actually being equivalent, but it sure does tons for being perceived as such. And, perhaps unfair, but that perception will go a long way for the IS-F, and Lexus knows it.

TagMan
    Until the cars are physically avaialble for reviews, I'd say the 400hp V8's propelling cars weighing about 3500lb each make IS-F and M3 quite well matched, at least for the vast majority who are not obsessed with manual transmission.

And that, my friend, is just more fuel and evidence of the upcoming comps between the IS-F and the M3. Fair or not, you speak for many who will see it that way.

TagMan
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    No. I am using the component video connections. No great difference with HDMI to justify the added expense of the cables.

Check out the XBR2 forum over there. Some of those folks are quite knowledgeable. It's called the "Official Sony XBR2 Thread."
    When I started posting there they made it "official." :shades:
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    make sure you go 1080p

This 32er was only for my eat-in-kitchen. Most companies make 1080p only for 40" and up sets, and there is only one 1080p available from any company in 37", and zero available in 32". The theory is that 1080p benefits just aren't perceptible at 32".

Anyway we should move the HDTV discussions over to the AVS Forum before our kind host shuts us down over here.