Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Inside the cavernous Cobo Convention Center where the Detroit auto show is held each year, it’s easy to lose your way among the hundreds of new models.

But at this week’s show, the feeling seems magnified by the cars themselves, which in some cases appear, at first glance, to be sitting in the wrong display area.

Consider the sporty new Nissan Altima coupe, whose sleek design looks a lot like the Infiniti G35, a car that Nissan’s luxury division sells for thousands of dollars more.

A short walk away is the concept version of a Honda Accord coupe, with crisp, muscular lines and an aggressive stance that would look far more at home across the Cobo center aisle in the display for Acura, Honda’s upscale brand.

Confusion over models from the same automaker has historically been a problem for American auto companies, who have been forced through the years to build different versions of essentially the same vehicle for their various brands. By contrast, Japanese carmakers, which were far smaller than their Detroit competitors, deliberately kept their lineups lean. But now these foreign companies are introducing new models at the high and low ends of their respective brands that may cause some unintended double-takes among consumers.

SOURCE:NY Times
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    And everyone else... (not just picking on you, dewey)

This is a HIGH END LUXURY cars discussion, 'kay? :sick:
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    hpowders,

Caught this tiny blurb about the upcoming X6, which could be the ticket. Expect it to be HIGH-END, and more than the X5, which means it could be another alternative for you if it comes out in time.

link title

Not much to go by, but it's all I could find so far.

TagMan
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    The VP of Toyota Motors predicts a cheaper Lexus will be available soon. Imagine a tiny Lexus hatchback competing with a MINI Cooper?

It's not a terrible idea. I don't know about the Mini Cooper, but they could use a weapon against the Audi A3, BMW 1 series, and Volvo C30. Infiniti used to play in the mid $20s market with the G20, but they got out of it (mostly because the G20 was terrible).
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    C'mon, let's keep it to the high end cars here, okay?
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    I'm from Brooklyn originally. Lived in Long Beach, LI and now Tampa, although I often get the itch to move back to LI.

Always see the latest HELC's on LI. Nothing much out here. Too many flat bed trucks. Very dull.
    Sorry. But I find the X6 quite ugly. A rather confused design. No?

I'm sure it will be offered at quite a HEL price.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    With the first wave of recalls last year totalling 2.2 mil, year '07 is starting off on the wrong end for the Japanese automaker with the first 535,000 unit recalled.

The Tundra('04-'06) and the Sequoia('04-'07) were recalled for some pretty serious problems(the complete lost of steering to name a few). This is in addition to the same vehicles being affected last year.

IMO, I think that Toyota has become too big too fast. Never before a company of quality problems this big, they're on track to recalling the most cars that are sold by any company on US soil. This doesn't seem to be isolated as many would like to believe.

Remember all that ranting and raving over the Lexus LS460's brilliant 8-speed autobox? That new transmission already has 4 TSB's out from anything involving no gear movement to outright failure. And maybe some of the autorags were on to something when they complained about the longish stopping distances of the LS. There is now a pad upgrade that the Lexus dealer can install.

I can't help but think that had this been the new '07 S550 or a new Audi A8, this would've been all the rage and fun for a few folks.
    "Lived in Long Beach, LI..."

I knew I liked you for some reason or another. I thought you were from NY, but did not know where.

Come on back, we'd sure like to have you on the Island. If you're ever this way, I'm just in Oyster Bay.
    IMO, I think that Toyota has become too big too fast. Never before a company of quality problems this big, they're on track to recalling the most cars that are sold by any company on US soil.

Do you mean imports sold on US soil? 2.2 million isn't even close to the humongous recalls by Ford and GM.
    Thank you, blkhemi! Kind of you to say that.

One of my kids lives in Old Brookville. I love it over there. So alive with activity, great-looking HELC's and moderately-challenging twisties like 25A as it meanders through the north shore area. A good place for the 545. Maybe I will drive up there this summer and stay a couple of weeks.

I do want to eventually get back to a 4 season climate-maybe a Long Beach condo. The sun is too much down here. And all those pick up trucks! :surprise:
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Are you Billy Joel?

;-)
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Nope!

Billy Joel used to have 19 autos in his stable but now he is down to only a few after all his car crashes. Thank God he drives slow clunkers (a 67 Citroen) and not speedy HELCs like a W12 Audi.

Singer-songwriter Billy Joel was slightly injured and mostly embarrassed when he lost control of his vintage car on a rain-slicked road and banged into a house, the Grammy Award-winning artist's third car accident in two years.

SOURCE: PIANO MAN SMASH UP MAN

Well, I made a good guess afterall. I But it was easy... it is not uncommon for folks from NY and surrounding areas to retire in Florida. You are young to be retired, however, and you are almost able to live a second life.

Too bad about those pickup trucks, eh? I've spent tons of time in the South, and I understand your perspective on that.

The X6 was horribly disguised and I doubt we can tell what it will really look like. But, yeah, that pic wasn't all that flattering.

Did anyone else comment on that 2012 Porsche 928 pic that I posted? If so, I missed it.

TagMan
    No evidence of alcohol or drugs? Gosh, the guy just simply can't drive! But, he sure can dance on the keys.

TagMan
    "2.2 million isn't even close to the humongous recalls by Ford and GM."

Ah, yes that is true. But in one year? From the supposed quality king in the automotive industry? I'm not thinking that highly of them in that manner any longer, especially given that my last 3 German vehicles and all of my very American Corvettes have been trouble-free.

Did you take a look at that C&D dig on their Toyota Camry in the comparo? All of the different problems they suffered were unheard of when Toyota was a smaller, better managed company.
    Did you take a look at that C&D dig on their Toyota Camry in the comparo? All of the different problems they suffered were unheard of when Toyota was a smaller, better managed company.

No, I will have to check that out. I agree Toyota is definitely having some problems lately. Their CEO even mentioned it, supposedly they are "putting the brakes" on their growth in order to get a handle on these issues. Fortunately they are still doing a lot better than Nissan. The Quest, Titan, and Armada (and its Infiniti twin) are bad enough to make even Land Rover look good by comparison.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    the 928 is beautiful.

Slowly coming out now are first drive reports of the R8. It seems as though it's pure Audi. Really more of a GT car than an out, and out track car. No real surprise there.

Yeah, those recalls on the LS are hilarious. Man if that was a German make it would be WW4 over here. If that car isn't reliable, what is it?

Hpowders, other than the cheap steering wheel on the MDX, I think you may like it. Lot's of room in the driving position, and a great corner carver for such a big vehicle.
    Yes. The MDX is on my list to drive for next year. Always more enthusiastic about the second year version of a new model for quality and price.

However, any BMW diesels coming out at that time will quickly divert my attention away from the MDX. Probably away from a low-ball offer on the 545i too. I expect 2008 to be a very exciting year for upscale vehicles.

I don't want to rush time, but I can hardly wait! :)
    "Fortunately they are still doing a lot bettert than Nissan."

Very true my friend. It's so amazing though. Most of Nissan's bread and butter cars and trucks are plagued with quality problems, but the the higher end Japanese-made Infiniti models are just as reliable as Lexus and Acura, even more so in some cases(the M35 reportedly had fewer problems or unintended visits to the dealer for service than the GS and RL last year).

And also must question certain motives that they've come up with as of late. Why would you share a platform and powertrain on an American car with one of the worst cars on the planet?(the Sentra and Versa are based on a blunderous Peugeout) Why does a brand new, 4 year old factory turn out some of the worst quality in SUV's and pickups?(the Armada and QX56 and the Titan pickup has the worst assembly in their respective class.)

This is the reason Toyota really isn't sweating it.