Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    The problem with the LS' design is that it is no different from a Camry in the way it looks and its layout.

M
    It doesn't look like it there, but the Range Rover easily has the best interior of any luxury SUV on the market. Some of their interior options are just way too luxurious. Constrasting piping and what not, miles ahead of anything from the usual suspect's SUVs here.

M
    Simply put it should have been kept HELM, for marques. There was no need to change the title of this thread since it wasn't model or make specific.

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Actually, I think M-B's best work is the CL600. Its stunning on the inside, it looks like a more expensive car than it is, the exact opposite of the last CL V12.

• drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Apparently, no one make a top-notch interior!

The BMW is universally panned, and the S-Class apes that.

The Camry has been passed styling cues from the LS, so now the LS is no good.

I guess because the Maybach and Benz are sharing an interior, neither of them are any good.

I'm still not sure why Acura is in this forum.

When you try to reinvent the wheel, you will screw it up (ask BMW).

Many vehicles share parts, styling cues, and layout with lower-priced cars. I can look at 3 different Mercedes front ends and not know what car I'm looking at.

Porsche only has one interior from what I can tell.

Everyone lives in a glass house on this one. :confuse:

The only maker who still can't make an interior livable is BMW. And I don't think they care!

DrFill
    I knew when the SLK and CLS arrived that Mercedes had learned their lesson about interiors. The S and CL just gave them the chance to really pour it on thick.

Too bad the folks in Bama at MBUSI still aren't on the same page. Better than the first generation ML for sure, but the R/GL/ML still aren't cut from the same German cloth.

M
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Feel free to email Sylvia and discuss it with her. But let's please stop kicking this back and forth in here.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,780
    Sorry, wrong again. Your silly argument on starting prices of the GL should be with Edmunds, not me. The 320 CDI starts at $52,400. and the GL 450 starts at $54,900. Keep trying and you will get it right eventually.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

Guy, do you know what a destination charge is? Try adding it and then posting. Eventually you'll get it right. If anyone is being silly it is you by hiding behind a price difference of 5K or so to disqualify a vehicle that you know full well is a competitor to the LX470. Then not being able to actually read a price in the first place. Now thats silly.

I'm still waiting on a valid reason as to why the Range Rover doesn't stomp the ancient LX470?

You're the one using their prices so the problem lies with you and this fuzzy math. First the GL had a price in the 40K, now you're not able to get the actual sticker price right. You'll not find a GL anywhere for the prices you listed.

M
    Sigh.....nobody includes the destination charges in MSRP. Just like the taxes you have to pay or doc fees or whatever are not incl. in MSRP. You might as well also include the cost of your first years gasoline in the MSRP as well. Maybe you can hit the magic $60,000. number yet.

I'm not saying the Range Rover is not a good vehicle. I'm just saying I prefer the LX 470. That is why I own one. Since you own neither, just what is your beef?

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    It's time to agree to disagree and move on.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Houdini, The base price is relevant only to the level that it includes enough typical equipment. In other words, a $59K vehicle would only need $1K worth of options/accessories to qualify. In real life, you would be hard pressed to find a GL selling anywhere under $60K, and real-life prices typically and easily reach into the $60's, $70's and beyond.

Therefore the spirit and intention of the $60K price arena is more than met by real-life pricing, and further the GL represents MB's top tier SUV, and that also gives further merit to it's inclusion here. It's pretty darned obvious, for goodness sakes.

BTW, there is nothing wrong, IMO, with your preference for an LX470, however the Range Rover is indeed quite an incredible SUV. If its reliability was a bit better it would be even more appealing, IMO.

TagMan
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Hmm, not sure about that after a '71 Hemi Cuda got 2.2 mil at auction. Veyron brings some serious numbers to the table starting with only 300 being made and being sold at a loss to the company. ...

But there were only 11 of those Hemi Cudas ever made, and not all of those are in existance anymore. With 300 of the Veyrons running around, It probably won't reach that kind of value. The main thing that makes American muscle so desirable nowadays is the fact that they were actually obtainable by the middle-class man. The Veyron is unobtainable by anybody other than the richest of the rich. And for a car that starts out that high to ever become a collector's item, it has to be a superluxury saloon. What sports car that costs that relative kind of money has ever fetched the bucks of a rare, superluxury saloon on the collector's market? I don't think any. I could be wrong.

The Shelby Cobra doesn't count. As expensive as it was in its day, a person still didn't have to heat their home with the flames of $100 bills to be able to buy one.
  • brightness04brightness04 Posts: 3,151
    Glad to hear someone else think real life pricing matters, for a change. The real life pricing for GL450 is $699/mo according to MBUSA. At that price, it's getting mighty close to the $750/mo cut-off line that I proposed earlier for HELC. On the other hand, if we just stick with MSRP, MBUSA says GL MSRP is $53.1k, and GL450 MSRP is $55.6k, missing the $60k line by quite a wide margin. Incidentally, I suggested earlier that a real-life after-all-discount cash price of $52k would better describe the substance behind a $60k MSRP. On the GL, it really shows what the equivalent price points are when there's relatively little financial engineering by the manufacturer messing with the numbers.
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    merc1, you're on fire with these posts. One after another- banging them out!

But you're starting to sound like AutoSpies in your fervor. The LS, while I wouldn't pick it over the German three, is a fine car. New one addresses the style issue (somewhat), and gives it a very good engine. Believe me, you don't want to end up like AutoSpies.

You have no idea how sick I am of hearing about "reliability" and "#1 in America." Hell on Earth doesn't seem to be a myth, after all. At least for car fans.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    I want it.

I see CL550s (rarely, albeit) on the road now. Stunningly beautiful, in a brash way.

I'll have to drive it, and if it's good enough, I might have to sacrifice having a convertible.

If my wife ended up with an '07 S550 4Matic next year (yes, used), and I got the CL550 in a few years, that would be adorable. The two ultra-luxury Benzes!

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    Of course, you didn't mention the A8, because there's nothing you can do to bash its interior. One magazine even said it was "the sexiest sedan interior" they'd ever seen.

The 7 Series interior isn't that bad, either. And the S-Class's is far better, believe me. Sit in it. Just the feel of the steering wheel will tell you.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    Nope, you're wrong.

Don't you think you should check the Mercedes website, and not just Edmunds?

GL320 CDI: $53,175

GL450: $55,675

And what's better about the LX470 than the Range Rover? I'd MUCH rather have a Range Rover, but I do like the way the LX looks.

Range Rover advantages:

Modern technology

Looks

Contemporary, beautifully finished interior

Engine

AWD system

Prestige/desirability/glamor

I want one

Game point, Range Rover.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Glad to hear someone else think real life pricing matters, for a change.

In terms of defining eligibility for inclusion here in this forum, MSRP plus typical options is the criteria.

So, my reference (unlike yours) to real-life pricing is not with regards to discounts or subsidies or promotions or ultimate selling prices, but rather the ultimate real-life typical retail price that results when typical options, packages and accessories are taken into account and added to the MSRP.

After I read your post, I figured I had better clarify that. :)

TagMan
    I want one

Then by all means you have my permission to buy one.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460