Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Perhaps you caught my lettle mention of the upcoming BMW convertible with the retractible hardtop? And , of course, with that sweet 300 hp twin-turbo engine?

My secret plan is to get the wife to trade in that oversized Jag... and convince her she'll have much more fun in that Bimmer. (Of course, so will I!)

TagMan
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    And , of course, with that sweet 300 hp twin-turbo engine?

It's the sweetest of the sweet engines out there whether it's in the form of a sedan or a covertible coupe. The engine in itself is worth the price of the car. (at least IMO), especially with the way some HELCs are priced.

I am one happy owner :shades:
  • have driven both, pretty hard around a track actually.
    [numerous times]

I got out of the LS very impressed, I got out of the S class and forgot the LS. It's nice, just no where near the "drivers car" that the S is.

"I don't have to stick my head up a bulls [non-permissible content removed] to know I like steak"
    Chris Farley
    Tommy Boy
    Great post!

Just consider the huge number, maybe even the vast majority, of LS buyers that have placed deposits down and purchased the car without ever having even driven it!!!!!

Maybe, just maybe, if they had tested the vehicles the way you did, they'd have seen things differently. But then again, some of them might be frightened from being connected to the road, and there's always that "reliability" thing... frightened that the S-Class will fall apart in their driveway into a bucket of bolts right before their very eyes... and the embarassment of all the neighbors witnessing that lemon being towed away.... NO WAY!... it's much safer to be reliably disconnected. ;)

TagMan
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let's lighten up on the personal insinuations and get back to talking about the vehicles themselves. We are not here to talk about each other nor are we here to talk about caricatures of imaginary purchasers.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    I sat in it 2 weeks ago in the showroom. None on the lot to drive, unfortunately.
    No twin turbos of any sort as dealer demos.

I shall return! :)
    If you ultimately accomplish a test, let me know what you think of it. If I get a chance this next week, I'll pay a visit to my local BMW dealer and scope things out and I'll report back to you. Wonder if there's any chance I might get that "Royal Treatment" from a BMW dealer? :confuse:

TagMan
    The way you keep showing up, I might have to perform a little of that "R & D" you recently posted about...
    as in "Running & Ducking". ;)

TagMan
    Tell 'em powders sent ya. Then DUCK!!! ;)

I will go there sometime in March to re-check out the merchandise. I will be asking if they heard anything about the diesels. I hope to find at least one twin-turbo to drive. :shades:

Across the pond they are raving about BMW combining
    twin-turbos WITH diesels! I'm starting to get light-headed! :surprise:

If BMW came out with a twin-turbo diesel 7 Series, I am capable of completely forgeting about the Audi A8!
    :D

They've got a lot going on! What scares me is that I'll buy one, and within 6 months something even more incredible will become available. :confuse:

TagMan
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,769
    Maybe, just maybe, if they had tested the vehicles the way you did, they'd have seen things differently

Uh, I believe that was my line to you earlier!

You remind me of the old joke about the guy who said he was not a doctor, but he played one on tv. In this case you could say, well I didn't really drive the LS but I read a review or two and might have even sat in one.;)

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

I agree! Goes that way for all technology. Can't keep up with the innovations! With that mindset, none of us would have a computer. We'd all be waiting!

This is the reason why I will not sign on for longer than a 2 year lease! Wish I could do one year. That would be terrific!

I hope my next vehicle has the twin-turbo/diesel combo! It has to be here by summer of 2008! I'll be watching! :shades:
    houdini,
    There is ZERO indication that the LS provides driving dynamics that seriously connect the driver to the road, and there is 100% indication that the LS isolates the driver from the road and his environment, providing a rolling sanctuary of peace and quiet. That's fine if you want that.

Do you somehow believe that when I finally do drive it, I will say something different than practically everyone in the world has already said?

Yes, I agree with you that I would get more exposure to the genuine nature of the drive, but I have not commented on those subtleties, because to do so I would have to drive it. So, I have not made any comments that are beyond what I already know about the vehicle... including my opinion, which is that I don't like the way it looks inside or out!

When I do finally drive it, i'll let you know the result... I'm sure you will be shocked at the answer.

TagMan
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I remember driving in Montana many years ago and I was impressed by the lack of speed limits on their highways(if there were speed limits I was not aware of them) . My enjoyment immediately disappeared as I passed the Canadian border and was on the lookout for patrol cars.

The story of Montana's no speed limits is as follows:

"From December 8, 1995 to May 28, 1999 Montana's daytime automobile speed limits were "reasonable and prudent", according to interpretation by Highway Patrol officers. Fines were increased and motorists were advised to drive carefully according to existing weather and road conditions. American speed enthusiasts were delighted and the state's Interstate highways got a reputation as the Montanabahn. Congress was not amused, and neither were many Montana residents. With a little help in potential Federal funding restrictions, speed limits were restored. Montana's maximum speed limit is now 75 MPH on the Interstates"
  • Just to clarify, at least according to Edmunds, the LS 460 has better acceleration than S550 and BMW 750i.

I don't know which MBZ dealer you went to, but MBZ dealers have the worst reputation for bait and switch. My boss, who does have a S550, was treated the bait and switch. Another co-worker of mine, who has a SL 550, was treated a bait and switch. Myself, I have an E350, was treated bait and switch. When they told me they gave me the rate of a C230, I told them to give my #@(* check back. They of course went back for 5 minutes and honored the first deal....

I do have to say, I never did experience the legendary customer service from Lexus. As a matter of fact, Lexus reps were so arrogant, and told me that I pretty much have to take whatever they have... that's after waiting for about 30 minutes to get anyone to talk to me.

There are some myths about MBZ, and some myths about Lexus, they're not always true.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,769
    Tagman, please don't take me too seriously. I do this mostly for fun. I know. I need to get a life but it is just too cold and snowy here to play golf, so....sometimes I have some fun with you. I have not driven the new S either (but I have looked at a lot of pictures) so I understand your point of view.

I like and respect most of your opinions, and the views and opinions of others here as well, but sometimes I just have to give a little jab here and there. I will try to behave.

What we all have in common is our love of fine automobiles and of driving fine automobiles. Thank goodness we don't all like the same ones because that fact has given me hours and hours of entertainment here.

Now, have a great week-end and go out and drive that LS!

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

Whenever I visit BMW, they toss me the keys of any new BMW that I want to drive. I expect to get first hand knowledge of the new diesels that way. As soon as they come off the boat, I'm there!

I love BMWs but I hate their services with a passion. Most obnoxious sales reps, most obnoxious services and most obnoxious clientele . There is nothing at all that I like about my BMW dealership except the coffee and their variety of morning newspapers. After warranty I look forward to returning to an independent shop that services only BMWs.
    From December 8, 1995 to May 28, 1999 Montana's daytime automobile speed limits were "reasonable and prudent",

That sounds right! I was there during Apri 1999. Good timing on my part.
  • I receive pretty good treatment every where I go.

The worst I've gotten has come from domestic dealers, and cheap Japanese [Subaru]

Bmw has always been very kind, even though we aren't current owners.[X5 will probably be the wife's next ride.]

I've posted before that our Infiniti service has been an 11 out of 10 stars.
    Good post. :)

TagMan