Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• esfesf Posts: 1,020
    You took the words out of my mouth.

Four Audis. No reliability issues. Unless you count what I mentioned above (headlight washer cap flying off) as a reliability issue. Granted, these are 1998 models and newer- so it's possible that they were less reliable before that.

Two Lexi ('98 RX300 and '04 RX330). None either, unless you count the speedometer freezing in the RX300 in 2002 as a reliability issue. It could be called that. Our Lexus dealer apologized profusely for the car's behavior.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    When I was in New York last August, I somehow managed to get an LS430 to pick us up from the hotel and drive us to the airport. Although it had some wear-'n-tear, I wasn't impressed with the car's quality. It didn't scream "luxury" like the S-Class or A8.

TagMan got an A8L? In addition to his Carrera S?

I'm jealous...

• tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    TagMan got an A8L? In addition to his Carrera S?

No esf... sorry. No such luck. Hpowders was talking about waiting for my impression of the A8L test drive.

Slight chance Thursday, depending upon schedule. Since the BMW and the Audi dealerships are next door to each other, I'd like to have enough time, if possible, to test drive both the Bimmer and the Audi.

TagMan
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    As Tagman says, he wants to test drive the A8L and the BMW 7 also.

I have given up on the BMW 7. BMW does not provide enough luxury to compete in the HELC price range. Its interior is not too dissimilar to that found in the 545.

My HELC interest is in the A8. I sat in one and I liked the seats and felt that I was engulfed by a luxurious interior. But, I haven't driven one yet.
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    European High Court Attorney has just proposed the Court to suspend the German Law that forbids Porsche to take executive control of VW, being Porsche as it is the major VW shareholder with 27% of the stock. The Attorney has proposed also to allow Porsche, confronting the German Law, to make a hostile offer in order to buy more VW shares.

It is thought that European High Court will very probably follow the advice of the Attorney for the shake of free concurrence within Europe. German Law actually protects the right of the German Federal Government and the State of Low Saxon, which are VW shareholders as well, to have executive control of VW.

May be VW will afterwards change for better its strange car model catergories!

Jose
  • reality2reality2 Posts: 303
    Well, here is part two of the story from the Financial Times of London:

"Porsche gains de facto control of VW"

------------------------------------------------------------

The State of Lower Saxony under the stewardship of Christian Wulff has given up the battle to prevent Porsche acquiring a 29.9% stake in VW, chairmanship and a number of seats on the Board. This now leaves Porsche free to increase its shareholding in VW from 27.4%. Reported in today's Financial Times, Wendelin Wiedeking will assume executive control of the entire group with Ferdinand Piech as a kind of honorary chairman above him. Given this situation, Porsche does not need to acquire any more shares in VW, although it could if necessary.

-----------------------------------------------------------

It was obvious this was the goal of Porsche and to a certain degree Audi management.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Reported in today's Financial Times, Wendelin Wiedeking will assume executive control of the entire group with Ferdinand Piech as a kind of honorary chairman above him.

There's nothing "kind of" about it. If anyone is the Godfather of the German auto industry, it's Piech.
    I drove the A8 SWB myself, when my wife was going to get one. As it turns out, we're buying a new house instead- new car is delayed until next year. Because of the hike in my house payments, she probably won't end up with a $75-80K HELC like the A8, unless she gets an S 4Matic or A8L that's one or two years old.

To get to the point... the A8 is fabulous. Nimble for its size, and yet it belies all the criticisms with its super-smooth ride. The interior, obviously, is beautiful, and the exterior is timeless. I highly recommend it. The BMW... well, I like it (I like every HELC), but there's no reason to buy it over an A8L. You have to want the badge. The ergonomics are terrible (not just the iDrive- check the seat controls!), and the interior execution, while clearly a step above its lower-priced cousins, is certainly not best-in-class. The driving dynamics are good, of course, but then again, so are the A8's.

• reality2reality2 Posts: 303
    You are right, there is no "kind of" about it. Piech is in control of the VW-Audi-Porsche empire. Let's call it what it is now - an empire.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Let's call it what it is now - an empire.

Which would be fine if Piech wasn't a megalomaniac who believes that the entire VWAG is under his personal control and only he knows how to run the show. His ego is bigger than "Dr.Z" and Mr. Ghosn's combined.
    esf - I look forward to driving more of these HELCs in the near future as my schedule will permit, but I am only doing so for the enjoyment and experience... no additional ownership is planned at this time.

TagMan
    Will be interesting to watch. I'm wondering how the Piech/Wiedeking relationship will play out because with Porsche the family members have a hands-off management agreement, I think. However, Wiedeking is thought of highly.

Just as an FYI, there are some 50 members of the Porsche/Piech family and the average net worth of each member is somewhere around $150 mil.

VW and Porsche. This was in the stars.
  • I agree Tag, For many reasons.

I hope it doesn't jack Audi.

BTW, loved your LS review, very fair, and balanced like Fox news [maybe that's a bad example]

Can't wait to see what you think of the A8. I don't think there is a better looking HELC sedan. Do you?
    VW and Porsche. This was in the stars.

I, for one, like the potential I see here.

TagMan
    Another blurb on the Chrysler and Mercedes marriage... after a decade, will it lead to an inevitable divorce?

link title

TagMan
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,769
    I think I hear Tami Wynette warming up in the background.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    And I, for two, too.

Jose
    I'm not sure what to think. I'm thinking it will be fairly uneventful at least for a while in terms of the products but VW stands to benefit by being associated with the Porsche brand. Ditto for Audi. For one thing it's all German unlike the Daimler venture, and there is a familiarity and relationship that goes back a long time. I would think this counts for something.

Another thing is that this protects Porsche Holding which has been the distributor for Porsches, VWs and Audis. This would have been totally threatened if another suitor entered the game. It could be that this was everything behind it to begin with. I believe it was a major part of it. What grows from here is anyone's guess, I guess.

;-)