Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    If Jag can combine the pricing of the LS460, the dynamics of the 750i, and the elegance and ultra-tech of the S550, I think they've got a shot.

And if the Queen had... nevermind. ;-)
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    The A5 Cabriolet will be introduced to replace the A4 Cabriolet ( :cry: ) sometime next year, or even later this year.

For everyone who'd like to know, it is Audi's first product on the MLP. This means that the engine is pushed back, ridding Audi of their usual nose-heaviness. It also gives the cars better handling, and more easily configurable engines and transmissions.

I love the exterior of the new A5. I'd have to see the interior in person first- but I can imagine that it would look fabulous in beige with wood trim, or even all-black. It's quite an improvement over my car. And check out the MMI controller- it's like out of the Audi concept cars!

I'm nervous about the engines, however. I hope Audi was smart enough to figure out that they need at least 300hp in the V6 model and 220hp in the 2.0T, if not more.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=14&article_id=4810

Chrysler is currently valued around $5 billion, compared to the $35 billion that MB paid for the company back in 1998. $30 billion difference! How many Mercedes cars hitting the wall, or handed out for free, is that equivalent to? It's really hard to measure trade deficit when we have foreign companies giving us products for free like that ;-)
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    I would expect that an S5 variant should be in the works... you're not thinking of trading in that nice S4 are you? ;)

TagMan
    That's a nice review of the S8, a car I'd like to test out some day. So much complimentary information with almost zero downside...

Thanks for the link.

TagMan
  • ctsangctsang Posts: 237
    Total
    Total

December
    January

Lexus

BMW

Mercedes-Benz

Audi

Jaguar

Aston Martin

Rolls-Royce
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Posts: 2,257
    Here is a link to a brand new AutoWeek article/review about the LS460L. Warning! LS460 bashers will be especially upset about its stopping distance. This has already been posted on the LS460 forum. However, it is also appropriate to post here as well since the article talks about comparisons with other high end cars.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070223/FREE/70216008/1004/T- - - - HISWEEKSISSUE
    We could do without the "basher" comment.

My perspective on the brakes is this... (I also posted a similar post on the LS forum.)

The negative information on the brakes started with the earliest of reviews. After additional reviews, there appears to be a majority of reviewers that have mentioned two issues with the brakes. The first involves stopping distances that are too long and are sub-par for this class of car. The second is what was often referred to as "grabbiness".

I tested the car myself recently and wrote a fair and somewhat extensive review that I posted in the HELC forum. With regards to the brakes, I was not able to perform a measured stopping distance test, of course, but they performed very well, IMO, but I did notice that there was a touchy and sensitive nature to them that did indeed lend the brakes to being a bit grabby. I did mention, however, that I was able to get used to it for the most part, and that it was mostly noticeable at slow speeds and city driving versus braking from higher speeds.

While there is a sensitive nature to the brakes, I would not call it a deal-killer for someone that otherwise wants the car.

As far as stopping distance goes, the majority of test results should speak for themselves... and there does seem to be enough overall indication that the brakes' stopping distance might need to be addressed in the future.

TagMan
    The increased December sales numbers show us "'tis the season to be jolly..."

TagMan
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Posts: 2,257
    Sorry for the use of the word "basher" but that's what it seems like from some folks here. Here is my reply to you that I also posted on the other forum.

Tag, what are you trying to say here? The review states that the stopping distance is superb on the LS460L. Are you sure that the majority of reviewers are finding an issue with the stopping distance? Am I missing something here? As far as I know, there was only the C & D review that said the breaking distance was horrible. All the LS460 bashers took this as the Bible and refuse to acknowledge that there was something rotten with that original C & D review. How can two reviews be so totally contradictory? I believe the answer is simple. The C & D review, at least on this issue was full of you know what.
    OK, to be fair, one review says the brakes are good and another says they suck. The only thing to do is some homework and pull up all the tests thus far and see for yourself.

As far as the "grabby" (I'm starting to hate that word) brakes, I personally experienced them to the level I explained in my review. There is some truth to that.

To say the C&D test is BS and the AutoWeek test is correct would be a case of picking and choosing the results that best suits us... and that would be biased of course. So do some homework and see what the others have said. Two opposite tests do not give a clear picture... in either direction.

TagMan
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    C&D does get bad review samples on occasion. You may recall that their 3 series basically fell apart, and its braking test was well beyond horrible. On the other hand, both their LS460 and their LS460L posted braking distances akin to vehicles wearing a Mack or Peterbilt badge. I'm not sure if this was some kind of issue with all early LSes, but its definitely not normal, as the car can stop in the 130 foot range, as more recent tests have shown. I do find it a bit odd that C&D was perfectly willing to ignore all of their 3er's problems and use earlier test results to hand it the win anyway, but didn't even bother to ask Lexus WHY their testers posted such horrible distances, they just printed them and moved on.
    It would seem that more evidence is required in the form of more test results to know with certainty the status of the LS460's brakes with regards to the vehicle's stopping distance.

Personally, I find it outrageous that there should be such conflicting information about something as important as this. There is no excuse, IMO.

TagMan
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,770
    The information is really not conflicting at all. C&D simply screwed up...big time. Eventually they will fess up.

As far as the word "grabbiness" is concerned, maybe drivers that are more experienced with the LS would just call the brakes very responsive.

Calling these brakes "grabby" is akin to saying a Porsche "lurches" forward when accelerating. This "lurchiness" is a trait that I have personally noticed in Porsches. Spin City.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

I wish I could agree with your spin. While it makes sense it really isn't the honest situation, IMO. Having driven the car, I know first-hand that those brakes are indeed a bit "grabby". As I've said numerous times, it isn't a deal-killer for someone who otherwise likes the car, but nonetheless it is the truth. I also have mentioned that I believe that with regular use, a driver could get used to it for the most part.

As far as the stopping distance goes, I'm not convinced. I'd like to see more test results. I still think it is outrageous for there to be such a large difference in those two tests. There seems to be a lack of responsibility and accountability, IMO.

TagMan
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Just wondering, have you driven one? If you reported on that, I apologize, but I don't remember it so I thought I'd ask.
    I would not call it a full fledged test drive but a friend of mine bought a more or less standard issue swb model about a month ago and I took it for a short spin. What a great car!

I seldom if ever drive cars really hard and this was no exception, (especially since the owner was with me) but to me it had a moderately firm ride, nicely weighted steering and very good brakes. It was extremely quiet and had that bank vault feel. I found it had a very similar feel to the LS 430. Maybe a tad bit firmer but overall feel, seating position, etc. were very similar.

Truth is, if I ever buy one I will wait a couple of years and buy a certified used one 2 or 3 years old. This has worked really well for me in the past and we have a great local dealer.

I realize this is not much info but it is the best I can do for now. I will keep everyone posted on any future drives or info from the owner. This is his 3rd LS in about 10 years.

How about you. Have you driven one or do you own one? It would be great to get your impressions.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

I just noticed my last post was # 23,999 and just could not resist posting #24,000!!

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• with the LS is the same as Tag's, it has grabby brakes.

Per Car&Driver, it's up to Lexus to provide a car for review. You can't blame Car&Driver for Lexus giving them lemon.