Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,771
    I am seeing several 2006 M35's advertised with low miles in the $27,000 range in the KC area. These are new car dealers and the cars have "lots of warranty left". I may also check these out. The only knock I have heard on these cars is that they get relatively poor mileage.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    The only knock I have heard on these cars is that they get relatively poor mileage.

Yeah, the problem is aggressive gearing combined with only 5 ratios. I don't think its an issue with the engine itself, as Nissan has shown that the VQ35 can actually be reasonably fuel efficient when paired with their CVT, despite being a bit of a gruff 'ole bear compared to the silky Lexus 3.5L. That's another reason why if you're looking at a used M you might as well get the V8. The M35 is now rated at 16/23, vs. 16/21 for the M45.
  • michmportmichmport Posts: 10
    Has it been everyone's experience to always change the rotors whenever changing the pads during the brake maintenance on the A8

Mechanic is suggesting that when the "brake pad" light comes on the rotors are already probably damaged. So, they usually replace them at the same time.

I would think the warning light would warn you well in advance of impending damage. any advice would help with my discussion with the mechanic.
    I had my LX 470 in for an oil change yesterday and noticed that they had a used LX 570 on their lot with about 8,000 miles. Thinking it may be a good buy, I asked the price. Wrong. It sold new for $80,000. and they were now asking $85,000. The salesman said their allocation for new ones was sold out for the next year and a half so they felt justified in asking a premium price. I told him he was nuts.

So much for the high price of gas affecting the sales of this particular SUV. :mad:

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    a used LX 570 on their lot with about 8,000 miles. Thinking it may be a good buy, I asked the price. Wrong. It sold new for $80,000. and they were now asking $85,000. The salesman said their allocation for new ones was sold out for the next year and a half so they felt justified in asking a premium price. I told him he was nuts

Thats so unfair people try to take so much advantage if your looking to get a car.

Asking more price than the new car I hate this kind of people. :mad:
    So much for the high price of gas affecting the sales of this particular SUV.

When you get to the level of LX570, RR Supercharged, Cayenne Turbo, etc. gas prices just don't matter anymore. Ask Ferrari or Aston Martin if gas prices are hurting sales. I don't think so.
    Well, the LX 570 is one SUPER SUV. I don't think anything else even comes close to it. Plus they are apparently in short supply. I might just check out the LC.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

Well, the LX 570 is one SUPER SUV

It certainly is an impressive vehicle. Not my kind of thing, but its a great execution by Lexus.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    Well, the LX 570 is one SUPER SUV. I don't think anything else even comes close to it. Plus they are apparently in short supply. I might just check out the LC

Its very well put together great for family in a long drive cruising.

I would say the LX is a better choice then the LC.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,487
    Ah, capitalism. Supply and demand. It works. Sometimes unfortunately for some folks...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

True. I have no problem with the way the Lexus dealer priced this truck, I was just extremely surprised. A supreme compliment for the LX.

Apparently Lexus only plans to sell around 10,000 of these a year so they are in very short supply and there is no intent to increase production.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    ... Ask Ferrari or Aston Martin if gas prices are hurting sales. I don't think so.

Well, considering that those cars only see about 5 or 10 tanks of gas per owner before being sold (10 being a stretch), why would they? You should see how many M5s are coming back to BMW lots now. Read the forums. The guys/gals love the car, but they are just sick of filling it up all the time. And with gas prices headed the direction they are, it quickly becomes a fiscal nightmare to drive such cars. Rich people didn't get rich by throwing away money just because they can...
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    It certainly is an impressive vehicle. Not my kind of thing, but its a great execution by Lexus.

That was my reaction to it when I saw it at the car show. Most mpressive SUV from Toyota to date... yet a pathetically thirsty gas hog.

Toyota is smart to keep the supply very limited... not too many folks would actually want one. By keeping it in short supply, it doesn't appear to be the sales loser it otherwise would be. And I do say "loser" from a sales perspective, not from a quality perspective, as it is a quality vehicle... just way too thirsty and expensive to sell in ANY large numbers, with SUV sales in the toilet the way they are.

But overall, not my thing either.

TM
    they are just sick of filling it up all the time. And with gas prices headed the direction they are, it quickly becomes a fiscal nightmare to drive such cars. Rich people didn't get rich by throwing away money just because they can...

Bingo!

TM
    just way too thirsty and expensive to sell in ANY large numbers, with SUV sales in the toilet the way they are.

Well, the LX has never been a big seller, and after the GX, you really had to want one to justify the price. Obviously they want to protect dealer margins on these things. They can't have them stacking up on lots like Acura RLs. :)
    Rich people didn't get rich by throwing away money just because they can...

Correct, but many people who are extravagant enough to own "track cars" are so rich that if they want something they buy it. They have so much money that the value is meaningless to them. It is the "ordinary" rich, people who earned what they have, that don't foolishly waste money.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

In chatting with the Lexus salesman I found out that there is a really hot market in exporting slightly used LX 570's. A U.S. Lexus dealer is prohibited from selling new vehicles over seas, mainly because of the difference in currencies, etc. but this does not apply to used vehicles.

With the dollar so low in relation to many other currencies a $90,000. used LX 570 is quite a bargain in many parts of the world.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

I am sure that a "track car" owner has earned his money just as much as a non track car owner has earned his.

And what is considered wasteful spending is quite subjective. Speaking personally, I've worked since I was a small child, mowing lawns and delivering newspapers. As soon as legally old enough I got my first of many legitimate jobs, some of which were back-breaking.

I've worked and earned my way my entire life. I am considered very successful by most measurements, I admit, but I do not like to be too wasteful, yet I generally tend to go through cars like sneakers... It is one of my real weaknesses... I just love cars... But I do not like all of them, of course... As you know and sometimes find objectionable.

TM
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    What we need to do here is stick to the cars and skip the generalized assumptions about those who own them.
    Sorry Tag, I was just speaking in generalities. Certainly no offense intended. People with the kind of wealth I was speaking of would probably not be posting here. :)

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460