Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• pablo_lpablo_l Posts: 491
    Well I saw my third Mayback today (this is Silicon Valley, after all), and seing it live has done nothing to improve my opinion. It does look entirely Lincolnish, offensively so from any rear angle, in fact. But I am sure it's very nice to sit in one. :-)
  • ejerodejerod Posts: 86
    With both my 2002S-500 and 2003 SL500. My car payments could finance the national debt but it's fun. Since having my car serviced I've found that the roof would not lock in place on the SL500 because of a loose nut, the key fob wouldn't work because of a dead battery, but I replaced the batteries with what I thought were new ones from Walmart and it still didn't work. The dealer put new batteries in and walla, everything was fine. No other problems to report and I must say that my dealer, Phillips Automotive of Virginia Beach is great. THe service department is always responsive and I do get superstar treatment. If I call a day in advance they will put me in a C-class benz or better. I often don't need a loaner because I have several vehicles but it's nice to know it's there is I ever do need it. Overall the experience this time around has been a lot better and that's because of the dealer and the product. The only nitpick I have now is that I wish they would go ahead and put in the dvd based nav system so I'd have no need to switch out cd's. The SL 500 now has the capability of playing cd's in the nav system cd slot so I have a 7 disc player which is nice when I'm tooling around town and have no need for the nav system, or just want to pop something in without getting out of my seat and loading it in the cd player behind the seat. Oh yeah.. that's the other thing.. place the cd player in dash for convenience.... again.. nit picky stuff.. MB is listening to the consumer and going back to quality as opposed to just a lot of bells and whistles that break down a lot... happy motoring...
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,902
    Glad to hear of a positive experience out there.

LOL what do you do for a living?
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,569
    For driving well over $200k's worth of Mercedes they should surely treat you well. In fact they should kiss your butt at high noon if you were to ask them(LOL).
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    There is a review of 3 Infiniti cars in British CAR. CAR practically begs Infiniti to come to Europe in 2004, declares Infiniti, not Lexus, is the Japanese luxury brand the European marques should most fear. And declares the G35C has done the impossible by besting 330Ci.
  • fsvfsv Posts: 196
    I read somewhere, that Nissan was entertaining idea of building ultra-lux toy called Isotta-Fraschini. Did anybody hear anything about that? (And, per the same article Packard name belongs to Russian ZIL? Where the world is going to? BTW, did anybody see these ZIL cars?)
  • That article was a parody on today's "practice" of manufacturers resurrecting old luxury brands.
  • fsvfsv Posts: 196
    Joke or not, they ARE resurrecting the old names - see nothing wrong with it. If not for that, RR, Bentley, Lambo, Jag, Aston-Martin, etc, would have died off long time ago, and Bugatti, Maybach and others would have never existed today. ZIL, as the matter of fact looks very reserved and classy, in my opinion, and you can have it and it's 8 liter V8 for cool undisclosed pile of cash (numbers differ - from $380,000 all the way down to 80,000) - and it is bullet/mine/gas/etc proof, as per what they say - and it will be only you and President Putin of Russia, who could be seen in it...
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    What do you think of the Crossfire? I love the front but dislike the rear.

My 22 year old nephew just took a Z. It's nice - real nice. Took me back in time to the last car I bought as a single person - the 1983 280ZX. Great car back then but horrendous electrical system.

Also did you see the Toyota Camry Solara? It looks so much like an SC430 from the rear. Whether you like it or not you have to wonder what Toyota was thinking.
  • jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    A friend of mine said that next fall (2004) a completely new S class model will be introduced. Is that true?? I did a search on the web and found virtually no info. Usually things start coming out by now if this is the case.
  • boo20boo20 Posts: 85
    The 2004 S will have a new 7 speed transmission. The new model is not expected until 2005.
  • i_drivei_drive Posts: 35
    hello.
    i am new to the board.

i have a 2003 SL55AMG, Lexus GX470, and a 2002 S430. all of them are fantastic cars, except for my S-Class. It's been literally a pain in the a_s.

i finally decided to replace it with either of the following:

1) 2004 BMW 745LI (refreshed model)
    2) 2004/2005 MB S-Class
    3) 2003 S500
    4) 2004 Audi A8L
    5) 2004 LS430 Ultra luxury

i have owned many BMW, MB, and Lexus products. i had a particuliarily great time with lexus, having owned 9 LS400's. i recently traded in my wife's '99 ML320 for the GX470. i loved my old 3-series from the 80's, and my MB 300E coupe.

unfortunately, i had a terrifying experience with my '02 S430. i don't know which of the five to get. should i wait until the new models come out in a year or two, or just get a current model now and wait until the "bugs" are out of the new models?

and also, i caught my first in-person glimpse of the new Maybach at LA. It was at the dealership where i bought the SL.

although I really love lexus for its reliability, and performance (my LS400 was faster than my S430), i must say that lexus lost a loyal customer for the LS430. for the past few years, I always purchased an LS without a doubt, but last year, with the introduction of the new BMW 7-series, Mercedes S-Class (you really can't go wrong in terms of style with a big benz), and the upcomming Audi A8L, i suddenly realized that Lexus was lagging in avant-garde styling, interior design, and real, sporty performance. my son used to complain that he would get nausea by sitting in the rear seat of the LS400; the suspension was so mushy.

i got the GX because that was ideal for my family, but i'll stick with the german companies until lexus redoes their styling and sportiness. and its also because of that that i got the SL55 than the SC430.
  • mb1raymb1ray Posts: 3
    The problem with - Lexus, Infinity & Acura is that the Japanese cars don't have any character. All that they try to do is copy Mercedes-Benz & BMW.
    Also, remember the Lexus slogan, "Almost as good as a Mercedes-Benz"!
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,569
    You own awesome cars but out of curiousity, with the way you feel, why is the 2004 LS430 Ultra on your shopping list?
    Passionate pursuit of perfection has always been the slogan. I love the lack of character and passion tags people come up with. When all else fails that is the place to go.

Let's get real. Lexus makes great cars - every bit as good and probably better in build quality than the Germans. Reliability is far superior. Whether or not the cars appeal to an individual is up that individual. There is no such thing as a universal opinion.
    Lexus makes great cars. Yes from a mechanical standpoint. That is if you don't mind riding in a vehicle that looks more suited to store cold meat products. They should just refrigerate them and sell them to morgues and meat packing houses.
  • You should try to understand that some of us do not want to stand out and shout "HAY...LOOK AT ME"

To me a Mercedes has too much of a "I'm a Big shot look here". A Lexus LS 430 is every bit as good a car (actually in many ways better) and it doesn't project the need to lord it over the rest, That suits me just fine, Ultra quality, dependability and luxury in a plain wrapper.

I do understand others feel differently.
    Believe me I understand that car buyers have different criteria when purchacing a vehicle. That's why I have to laugh when the car magazines pit them against each other, total up some points and declare a 'winner.' Who's to say that I would put the same weight upon the various criteria? Maybe style and safety are more important to me. Maybe value and understatement is more important to you. That's fine. Lexus is a more reliable car. Even Toyota makes amazingly refined engines (I used to own one). But that's not enough to overcome the aesthetics of the car (for me). Maybe that's a shallow and stupid way to spend my money but (as Nietzsche said): "Here I stand. I cannot do otherwise. At least I have the courage of my bad taste."
    Good points. But your refrigerator comments are your opinion for yourself. If I felt that way I wouldn't buy an LS430. Since I did I hardly share your opinion.

Now Merc1 thinks the LS430 copied the old S-class. So if you agree you must also think the old S-class is a refrigerator. Yet many hard core MB buyers (not fans) think the old S-class was the end of the great MB's. I don't agree - by the way - but those I know think MB veered too far from their normal path with the S re-design.

I think the Lexus slogan was/is actually "the relentless pursuit of perfection" (said passionately in the ads).
    I don't see any inconsistency in claiming that Lexus tries to copy MB and yet produces less appealing designs. It's surely not an exact copy. Nobody is claiming that. They surely want to differentiate themselves in some way and yet still evoke hints at classic MB lines. But the result, although appealing to some, is not attractive to my eye.

Anyway the whole business about Lexus copying MB syling cues does not bother me. What's more significant to me are MB innovations that don't make it into Lexus for several years (until Lexus has 'perfected' them so to speak). Yes, I've raised the dreaded and despised 'innovation' argument.

Like I've said before: I'm grateful to Lexus for keeping MBs feet to the fire. They are less likly to take their customers for granted when facing stiff competition.