Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    merc1,

Actually you must be corrected. The S-class sport models are just wheels/tires and bodywork upgrades.

The LS430 includes wheel/tire upgrade and a slight suspension upgrade.
    merc1,

"Well its pretty much like I stated before, you've only rode and driven the S, but haven't owned one, but you are much more of an expert than me, though I've done the same things. Makes sense."

Well, ljflx, owns a LS430 and has driven S-class. Meanwhile you have driven one and not the other and you write like you have driven both, which you obviously haven't.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Actually you must be corrected. The Sport models have firmer Airmatic shock settings than the regular S-Class cars. Not to mention the S has an adjustable air suspension to start with. Plus there is the ABC option. A sportier S-Class can be had, one that is sportier than any version of the LS430 at least up until now.

"Meanwhile you have driven one and not the other and you write like you have driven both, which you obviously haven't."

Wrong again, obviously you haven't been paying attention. Lets stay current here. I've driven the LS430. Granted things may have changed for 2004 in the LS' favor, as I haven't driven an 04' LS. So I'll take his word for the 2004 model.

M
    merc1,

I apologize for the slight error on the part of the airmatic suspension. But you were still mistaken by saying the LS430 is merely a tire upgrade.

And as you say "ABC is a option". That is another option on top of the already steep $5K+ premium for a sport package that returns only minor improvements in handling.
    merc1,

"Wrong again, obviously you haven't been paying attention. Lets stay current here. I've driven the LS430."

Right again, I haven't been paying attention. I actually do some work during the 8am to 5pm work hours.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I hate to keep saying this, but go back over the posts here. I only said the LS' sport option was a tire upgrade because ljfx said it was, I clearly stated that I hadn't checked the Lexus site to confirm any of what he said, it really wasn't that big of a deal. I'm not the one you need to mention this to.

Secondly, the ABC provides more than minor handling improvements. Look at the handling numbers for the S-Class in the last Car and Driver comparo with ABC+Sport pk compared to the previous S-Classes they tested without either, hardly minor differences I agree it is an expensive option but it is there.

"I actually do some work during the 8am to 5pm work hours."

Must we go here? I'm glad you do some work during those hours. If you'll notice most of the time I post late night, hint: I work a different shift from you.

M
    merc1,

You mention ABC+sport package. the standard sport package does not include ABC. Is ABC not another couple of thousand $$$ option on top of the regular sport package? And as I remember the regular sport package for $5K+ offers slight improvements in handling, basically due to the tire size and compound difference.

In my last post I was referring to the slight improvements in handling with just the sport package, not including ABC. I get C&D and read the review. The S500 is a great car with or without sport and ABC.
  • Here is your paragraph about the sport option, I see no reference to Ifjx comments about a tire change only. I own an LS430 ultra (01) and there is a noticable difference when I set the car in Sport mode (without changing the tires)

I have not driven the 04 Sport but would assume it has been upgrade substantually.

Here is what is available with my Sport Suspension..Stiffer springs, more aggressive shock absorber damping rates, a thicker rear stablizer bar for reduced understeer and special suspension bushings for a more immediate feel of the road, 17 in. tires.
  • I never said anyone buying an S-Class was buying it for sport, my point is that the option is there and it's a real sport option, unlike the LS, which is merely a tire upgrade. The S Sport package transforms the car in looks and capability. Guess what the S-Class now offers just the option of upgraded wheels and tires too (without the body work). My point is that with an S-Class Sport you'll pay more and you'll get more than the LS' so-called "sport" option.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    (sorry, that's a worn out phrase, isn't it)

Back to your separate corners folks. No one is going to win this and the rest of us don't want to wade through it.

Thanks.
  • warthogwarthog Posts: 216
    Thank you, Host.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    A reporter is hoping to interview a recent car-buyer who participated in an overnight or 24-hour test drive and then purchased the vehicle. Please respond to 248-890-8582, farataye@yahoo.com or jfallon@edmunds.com by 5pm Eastern Wednesday, March 24, 2004. Thanks, Jeannine Fallon PR Director Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• chavis10chavis10 Posts: 166
    What do you folks think about the next STS? It seems like Cadillac got it right better than ever (on paper at least). With MBs quality issues and the BMW Bangle Butt era, now seems as good of time as any for Cadillac to sneak back in with a good flagship luxury sedan. Look for it at the New York Auto Show.
    Here are the photos:

http://www.bomengen.com/gm/sts/STS_1_web.jpg

http://www.bomengen.com/gm/sts/STS_2_web.jpg

http://www.bomengen.com/gm/sts/STS_4_web.jpg

http://www.bomengen.com/gm/sts/STS_3_web.jpg

http://www.bomengen.com/gm/sts/STS_6_web.jpg
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    I wonder if that is the same car syswei posted a few weeks ago? But I don't think so. It looks more like the next gen SC and it looks real sharp as well.

By the way I am hearing that the next LS will be more close in design to the LFS concept than the new GS is. I've also been told that they will have it in an AWD option and that a hybrid version will have over 400HP. Definitely a 2007 car but with a likely spring 2006 debut.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    I think the STS is one fine looking saloon. It is better inside and out than the new 5 and we know it will be much cheaper. This car could help put Caddy past MB in the sales race in 2004. I think this car will be a hit just like the CTS.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Once again, turning things into a personal argument is inappropriate. This is the last "unofficial" warning, folks. (I'm speaking to those whose messages were removed.)
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    the new Maserati Quattroporte? Beautiful car, and if I had a dealer remotely close and was in the market for an S-class type of car, I'd definetly give it a shot. Nice looking car that brings a little bit of pizzazz to a somewhat staid segment.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    The only coupe Lexus is working on for a near-term launch is the next-generation IS. Right at introduction there will be a coupe, sedan and convertible, all with more than one engine choice.

Since the new IS is scheduled to come to market sometime in the next 12-18 months, my bet is the car at NY is either a concept version or production version (labeled as a concept) of the next IS coupe.

The car shown in NY will be unveiled April 8 at a press conference and have a V8 engine.

Are you planning on attending the NY show?
    I don't think that is the next IS. I think it's the nect SC. Remember Clemens said every car will be redone by 2007. The SC came out a few months after the LS in 2001. The timing fits for a concept right about now. I also think that the LFS style will really be reflected deeply in the 2007 LS. Lexus knows that the LS400 is the car that made its name in 1990 and the new brand image and styling will be led by the LS again. I also think the HPX will debut at the same time as the next gen LS. In fact maybe they will blitz the market with a new LS, SC and HPX at the same time. Makes sense if they are going to a more consolidated styling theme. I know this - I'm looking foward to the 2004 LS - which I will take in a few weeks - and am real anxious to see that 2007 LS. I think its going to be a knockout with plenty of variety and a hybrid engine as options as well. Toyota got a huge vault of cash - they can do just about whatever they want right now. Plus they will be due a lot of royalties on their hybrid technology.

I wonder when and how they will re-design the big suv's.

Yes - I will go to the show.
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Posts: 200
    'much cheaper. '

I do not know about that. If SRX XLR is any indication Cadillac is going to price its cars as high as imports. Remember they are not seeking to be value leaders but the standard of the world
  • warthogwarthog Posts: 216
    the STS exterior looks no worse than the new 5, but that's no accomplishment. Agreed, the interior is much better than the new 5. But that's not what BMW is fundamentally about. We'll have to wait to see how the STS performs, won't we?
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,101
    Just remember that this is no 5 series sized car -- that job is more or less the CTS's -- this puppy has a 116" wheelbase if my memory serves.

This is an updated sedan de ville -- or at least an updated STS -- the last time I drove an STS it was a very very very nice land barge...sorta like driving my sofa in all the good ways.

Now the Magna Ride and AWD and other stuff may make it an alternative to a Phaeton or an A8L or a 7 serires -- and, hopefully it will be priced like a 5 series BMW or A6 Audi.

Don't hold your breath, you might turn blue.
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Posts: 200
    Obviously the Cadillac is much better than the 5. If you were referring to the previous 5
    Series, you might have a case but not with the new. Cadillac has a better stance all round.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,704
    Maybe not regarding MSRP, but with the inevitable factory to dealer and consumer incentives from GM, they will be less expensive to buy. Here in the Boston area, CTS have big discounts as does SRX. Initially I saw ads for the XLR at MSRP, but I think the discounting has already begun...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    Toyota, Honda & Nissan dominate the most reliable list. They also dominate the most satisfying list, accounting for 21 of the 33 models. BMW does fine too, with four.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6960
    Interesting second paragraph. It's what I've been saying all along. I know three people buying new cars right now and they all went out and bought CR's April edition.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    Who knows how accurate it is, but the UK publication Autoexpress is reporting there will be a hybrid GS 350 that goes on sale in August 2005 with a 300hp 3.5 V6 mated to a 170hp electric motor. They claim the car will get 60mpg. And the following year they're saying an LS 500 will appear with a 400hp 5.0 V8 mated with a 200hp electric motor.

I guess only time will tell if this is rumor or fact.
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    When is the new STS supposed to be available at dealers? Has Caddy dropped the Seville name? Is this known only as an STS and I'd assume SLS for the less performance oriented version.

The interior appears to be a bit of a dissapointment, better than the 5 series for sure but not up to an Audi or Mercedes standard.
  • chavis10chavis10 Posts: 166
    Yes, Cadillac will drop the Seville name and there will be no "SLS" trim. The interior not up to the MB/Audi standard? Why is that? I mean obviously we haven't been physically inside the car but in terms of design and appearance, it's certainly no worse that any other car. First off, audi interiors are boring. The A8's is a little better but there are buttons all over the lower console along with MMI which I thought was supposed to eliminate the problem of too many buttons. the current A6 doesn't even have a freakin nav screen in the dash. The new A6 looks all business like, not inviting at all. i won't even touch MB interiors. COMAND is simply nonsense. The look and design are pretty average, nothing to write home about and the quality is not what you'd expect for something costing as much as they do (especially the S class).