Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• ljflxljflx Posts: 4,677
    Seems Pat doesn't want the thread to continue and the cars talked about in these 100 posts hardly fit the theme nor my interests so I'll see you guys on the LS and LX/GX boards.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    "As is the coupe, the 645Ci convertible is a brilliant machine muffled under a blanket of who-asked-for-it technology. Putting down the top lets the driver strip off some of that insulation and discover a few hints of what lurks beneath: the best damn Camaro $78,295 can buy."

Those of us that know the '89 Camaro they are refering to well will know that statement is a cleverly written slam. On BMW. From C&D. The mag's dont point the same "whats the point of this crap" finger at Lexus and Acura do they? Germany needs to do it right, or just stop.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    The Toyota Crown is a different car from the LS, always has been. The LS400/430 has always been called the Toyota Celsior in Japan. The original LS400 was designed/tailored around the North American market back in 1990, it was no rebadge job.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "The mag's dont point the same "whats the point of this crap" finger at Lexus and Acura do they?"

That's because they make nice appliances. Hard to "slam" a middle of the road appliance.

I'd be more than happy to plunk down $78K for "the best damn Camaro". That car is a stunner as I've been in one and I'm sure drives every bit as good as it looks.
  • Merc.

This talk about not being competitive without 500 HP cars is just plain silly...How many 4 or 500 HP cars are purchased?...FEW.

The car that will knock the industry dead in the Luxury Market is the new LS (Hopefully 06 release)from Lexus a Hybrid with big horse power getting 35 MPG....In a dependable Luxury car like only Lexus can build.
    How do you know the '06 LS430 will knock everything dead in the class? So far, I don't see any specs for it. What's the point of hyping it up? Better yet, how can you hype something up without any advance news, specs, features about the '06/'07 LS?
  • Maxhonda:

It was easy...I clicked on Reply and typed in what I know to be true.

Do you deny there will be a LS hybrid in 06?
  • warthogwarthog Posts: 216
    but I wouldn't expect anyone to accept what "I know to be true" without some reference to an authoritative source.
    Huh...it's true? Do you have any concrete information from Lexus(not autospies or something) about a hybrid LS? Not just that but is it "true" the hybrid LS will be as great as you hype it up to be? How can you hype it up soo much without engine configuration, hp numbers, torque numbers, feature specs or anything of the sort?
    I've been behind the wheel of one as well, a 645 coupe. I'm meh about the looks, its not attractive, but its not an eye sore like the rest of the BMW stable. It doesnt drive nicely though. C&D has slammed the 6 on several occasions because its bland. BMWs arent supposed to be bland. A G35 coupe has WAY more road feel than the Intel Pentium 4 powered "simu-steering" "simu-brakes" and "simu-throttle" BMW.
  • Yes.

You did not answer my question...Do you Deny that LS will build a Hybrid or are you stating you just don't know?
  • I read the 645 article, and I totally disagree with what they are saying. The product may not be BMW's best selling, but it was a success in my mind for this reason: Infiniti decided to try to build an m45 coupe AFTER seeing the 645, they didn't even consider it before. All this complaining about the German cars, and Infiniti, emerging from the shadows, decides to copy bmw.

Also, I don't want to criticize C + D, but i read the full-size pickup comparision, and I wonder how the Nissan Titan, which had been out for barely 2 months at most, which is a magnificent truck, could beat out the legendary F150. Nissan didn't have one bit of experience with a full-sizer before the titan. also, in the luxury sedan, someone want to explain how the vw beat out the MB S500?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I haven't driven the 645, but every review I've read save for C&D raves about the car. While you and I always will have our own opinions, the mags/reviews generally seem to favor the beast.

I believe the reviewers on Edmunds, for example, really liked it. I happen to really think it's a sleek looking vehicle as I like the Bangle designs, the old designs were stellar, but IMO this takes BMW forward one notch. I know not everybody agrees, but that's why they make vanilla and chocolate.
    Well, my own impressions of Active steering have been less than favorable. I've tried it in two instances so far, a sport package 545, and the 6. In both cases, I much prefer the "crude" 540i's old fashioned mechanical setup.
  • Was very close to buying a new 2003 745Li but after hearing so many horror stories and reading Consumer Reports' less than enthusiastic writeup, I've deferred th purchase. My smarts are telling me to just buy the Lexus LS 430, but I guess everyone in this Board knows it's just not the same. Has anyone here heard similar things about the 2004/5 maybe? Should I even bother waiting for the 2005? im more concerned with the car 'breaking down' then i am about resale value and the iDrive (call me nuts). but if i wanted simple controls and a great bargain, i would ve bot a Honda a long time ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • aggie76aggie76 Posts: 265
    You should really take a close look at the LS430 with the Sport Suspension given that you are concerned with the "breakdown" potential. While the LS is certainly not a 7-series it is very close but better yet, it has the quality, reliability & price point that makes it a very compelling choice for many shoppers. I just bought an LS without the Sport but did drive one with it and was very impressed with the ride quality, just wasn't what I was wanting this time. Sort of been there in my youth, wanted more of a luxury ride this time to match up to my age. Have other toys in the garage for that sensation.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they will build a hybrid LS, based on the success of RX400h sales.

Has Lexus said they will build a hybrid LS? I haven't seen any specific information on a LS hybrid. So what's the point of hyping something you know basically nothing about?
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    "Sort of been there in my youth, wanted more of a luxury ride this time to match up to my age."

Curious. What's the cut off point with age? Seems there are a lot of old goats around these threads in their twenties. I'm no spring chicken, but will never outgrow the sport ride and sports cars. The way that I see it there's only one vehicle that's custom-made for old age—the subterranean bobsled.

"I was older then, I'm much younger now."

- Bob Dylan
    Glad you caught that. Did the various Datsun Z, RX7, motorcycles & other hot vehicles in my 20's and 30's, moved into the 40's and settled down with more grand sport cars and now that I'm into the 50's have moved in luxury as my primary ride but have toys in the garage to enjoy the need for speed and excitement aspects.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    I hear you. I like the idea of those "toys". They are not to be outgrown!
    Bigger toys for older boys is what I continue to believe in. Whether it is somewhat functional like a John Deere tractor to just revert to childhood by mowing things down on a warm summer afternoon with a cold drink or something for the curves like an S2000 in the fall, they have a place.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    Here's a press release outlining Lexus' plans for the Japan launch in August 2005. Note they mention everything from development to sales will be totally independent from Toyota.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/04/0526.html
  • hard to argue with all that the LS has to offer. like i daid, my smarts are telling me the same as well. thanks!
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    This is from the press so not 100% reliable: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=45233

I believe Lexus has said publicly that hybrid will spread beyond the RX. You can also check http://www.lexus.com/models/hybrid/ to see how serious they are about it.
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    Wondered where the topic went ? I had Cadillac for at least ten to twelve years. Man I was treated poorly..If they were to offer a great product, and I read a number of posts for a few years I could be tempted to try one again, but I seriously doubt they will accomplish that...It takes a long time to overcome a past abuse Tony
    As an LS owner myself, I HIGHLY recommend the car. Take a drive in an '04 with the sport package and 18" wheels, its a very different animal than the rather soft '01-03 model. Considering the car was just refreshed for this year, I doubt there will be any major changes for the '05 model. Maybe a few new colors and thats it. Lexus has other introductions to worry about. In a recent C&D comparo, the LS beat out every German lux-o-barge on sale here, Audi, VW, M-B, and BMW, as well as the newly redesigned XJ8. Car and Driver is not a magazine that cares about reliability. If the LS is good enough to impress THOSE folks, its worth a look :)
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Hey Lexusguy-which issue of C&D was that? I would like to read that comparo.
    Thanks.
    Howard
    December 2003. I agree fully with Lexusguy, I also have an '04 LS430 and it is a truly fine car.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Thanks a lot. I will try to get a copy of that issue.
    Howard