Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• MB and BMW started it overall....PERIOD Not Lexus, Infiniti, or Acura
  • scongroscongro Posts: 80
    Not being picky. Just the facts, man.
  • hello26hello26 Posts: 62
    Whoever used it first it is a mistake. It's too bright.

Who imitates a Jaguar except Jaguar?
    There are no Camry parts in an LS400. Have you driven one? There are 24% Camry parts in an ES300.

Regarding the only reason people drive Lexus is because it is cheap and imitation:

1. People who care about being cheap don't buy 55k cars.

2. Lexus build quality has been industry standard for 10 years. All the complaining about
    Lexus copying is great but Mercedes should copy
    Lexus build quality (not going to happen).
  • but not build quality. No magazines say, WOW that car was as solid as a Lexus or the interior reminded me of a Lexus.
    2.5TL
    3.2TL

Sorry!
    QX4

Very Sorry!
  • ferarri11ferarri11 Posts: 91
    look closely at some secondary controls like the sider mirror adjusters, they are the same in the camry , it is a small item. there are other minor pieces too, just look at the items not used but a few times.
    i think vacuum luminscent gauges appeared on the first LS 400 in 1990. the continental copied it after. the GS uses a different style, lit in greenish blue (too bad the color doesnt match the lighting of the radio and AC controls). i think these gauges are lexus's first original idea (not knocking, it appeared on the first car). they look great but can burn out, leaving you guessing your speed. but old mercedes oftentimes didnt have lights in the gauge cluster anyways.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    You guys are at it again I see. Lexus didn't start a thing when it comes to badging. Mercedes was always used that system on their cars. The 420SEL, 560SEL all has engines of that displacement before a marketing person ever came up with the name "Lexus", which they had to enter a court room to keep. Mercedes was first, period. Before the Japanese even got the idea to use "numbers" for anything. Nobody would argue against Lexus being a good car, but to try and say they innovated anything is just plain incorrect.

M
  • 2jags22jags2 Posts: 4
    cannot agree more. i drove 2 lexuses, and they are good cars(see my last posting), but there is nothing original about them.another true statement, is that nobody can imitate a jag, execpt a jag.
    btw, the one thing that pi#$$$ me off was the toyota logo on the lexis'windshield ......for that kind of money, cann't they at least stamp a "lexus"logo?????????????????
    Buick has disgraced themselves with downright horrible Jaguar imitations. To me Jaguar is a original as original gets.

M
    M,

Jaguar introduced a retro Jaguar sedan, therfore a copy. And the mechanicals are made by Ford?
    This is original to you?

In terms of not introducing anything, you and I spend, perhaps, too much time on design. Toyota is one of the premier engineering companies in the world.

In terms of build quality, from a German car perspective (and that's my state of mind this summer), an LS400 doesn't have vault like solidity. On the road, it is competent, but it's no Audi. Build quality, however, refers to the
    build quality of the entire car, the assembly, the parts from suppliers, the electrical system, everything. LS400 is smooth enough for you, old man, as Edmunds would say :)
    What Buick are you talking about?
    Stylewise, heritage and lineage. Now a new chapter is being written. The S-Type is still very much original, if not pure Jaguar.
    Toyota is a good engineering company, but styling wise they can't produce a good looking car, much less a lust object. Buicks: LeSabre, awful, Park Avenue, not as awful, Rivera undecided, all Jaguar wannabe look-o-likes.

M
    the S type only shares the platform and some control bits with the Lincoln LS. both are excellent designs and i challenge you to really be able to tell a jag platform from a merc or lexus. as long as they are rigid an constructed well it really doesnt matter. the s type is well constructed ( Lincoln LS was crashed in the IIHS test and got a good rating). platform sharing is quite commone, check the TT and Golf and Bug. the platform isnt really the issue, it is the tuning of the suspension and the style that matters most, and the S type is excellent.
  • say that the S80, LS, and Stype didn't feel as stiff as the Audi, BMW, or Lexus in their last compare of 40k cars? Same for the R&T compare of V8's. www.caranddriver.com
    www.roadandtrack.com
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    Please remember, the only reason Lexus had to go to court to keep the name was because of the sheer stupidity of Lexis (legal research) suing them. Apparently Lexis thought that people would confuse Lexus with Lexis (are you following this? I am re-reading it again to keep my company spellings straight) as though a car will be confused with a legal research company. The suit was asinine, which is why Lexus won and Lexis lost. Yes, spellings are correct. Whew!
    quattro pearl,
    Aren't there meaurements for that type of rigidity?

ferrari11,
    I think platform sharing is great. I've been through these issues with SAAB.

M,
    ? I've driven a Riviera believe it or not but
    I can't remember it looking like a Jaguar or not.
    The other cars you mention look like Buicks to me.
    And again I disagree. The current Lexus SC is a beautiful design.