Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    What you are going through is what I feared so much in 2001. Having nothing but Lexus cars since 1995 (save a Landcruiserin the late 90's- which really is a Lexus for the most part anyway) can really spoil you. In 2001 I looked long and hard at the S-class but lacked confidence in it. I just knew the LS430 would yield three more years of perfection in a glorious car and I feared that the MB S, while a glorious car also, would have a rash of problems. Plus it just didn't match the LS in ride or cabin quietness. Results have perfectly matched expectations on not one, but two LS cars including my business car which is now at 60k miles. I only need one car this go round and in April it will be another LS which I fully expect will give me another perfect trip for 3 years. My first LS in 95 is still running very well - in the care of a friend - and has over 200k miles on it. My 98 car became a Lexus certified car but I don't know where it ended up. Both of these 2001's will make whoever takes them very happy. Not even a hint of a rattle and as whiser quiet as day one out of the showroom.

A friend of mine just traded his 1998 Landcruiser for a Lincoln Aviator. The TLC had 140k miles on it and never had a problem. The Aviator is giving him a lot of headaches within the first few months. I bumped into my buddy at a school function the other day and he said he didn't know what he was thinking when he switched but he'd trade the Aviator back for his TLC in a heartbeat if he could. It's not easy to move from the near perfect world of Toyota and Lexus. It may never occur for me. You could have had a helluva LS430 instead of that E-class. I hope you leased.
  • tmjddstmjdds Posts: 22
    Finishing up my 3 flawless years with my LS430. Thought about leasing a new one but just had to try something different. I should be getting my 745Li in a couple of weeks. The only things I liked better about the BMW was back seat room and heated steering wheel. Ride, seat comfort, stereo, cell phone integration (Blue Tooth), trunk space, navigation system, quietness were all nicer in the Lexus at 20 thousand less.

This discussion about problems with the BMW and iDrive makes me a little nervous. I would have thought they would have figured out all the problems by now. Does anyone know of someone who had a 2004 7 series buy back? I now the 2002's and some 2003's were bought back.
  • I just got back to Town Hall after traveling again and tmjbbs' question about BMW 7-Series "buy backs" got me thinking. I have certainly heard of BMW, MB, Jaguar and Audi buy backs - although other then with the last couple of years with MB and the BMW 7-Series, not in what I perceive as large numbers.

Has anyone ever heard of a buy back of a new Lexus LS? I have not but wanted to ask you all. I assume there must be some but I have just never heard or read of one for a LS.

Jim
  • sv7887sv7887 Posts: 351
    Hi All,
       We've all heard the stories of MB's so called demise. I'm sure our German friends are going to address this issue. I don't see how they can ignore it, given that the Reliability issue is Lexus' prime marketing tool.

The LS is a good car, but they too are prone to defects. My 2002 LS430 has had the following Issues:

Steering Wheel Groans upon Retraction (Fixed under Warranty)

Wiper Sensor Failure. Replaced under Warranty.

So, that's nothing terrible compared to the MB stories we've heard. The only thing I can say is that my 1992 LS was better. The sole issue was a burnt out tail light at 11 yrs of age. Aside from the fact some idiot hit it two months ago, everything was fine. This brings me to my next question:

With the 92 LS giving me a nightmare post accident (6 trips to the dealer now) I'm thinking of buying a (3-4 yr old)Pre-Owned high end Lux car. What's the best bang for the buck?

Thanks,
    SV
  • wabendswabends Posts: 102
    You should be able to get a good LS 430 between $40K and $46K for MY 2001-02. There are several on the market now coming out of leases. The cost can go up by $2K -$3K depending on the mileage and the installed options. We just got a 2001 with the UL package (all available options)for around 44K from a dealership in MD. Let me know if you need additional info about the dealership.

Best wishes in your hunt!
    When I shopped the 2004 Lexus LS430, the Lexus dealer told me he would give me $38k for my 2001 and if I knew somone that wanted it, he would turn it around for $500. Add $1500 and get the Lexus certification to 100k mi. My car has only 21k miles, black w/ML.

I ended up buying a 2004 745Li. The BMW dealer is also giving me $38k but don't know if he could (or would) turn it and certify it.

The only used sedan I would ever buy is the LS. The others sound like they could be a handful when they are out of warranty.
  • I know of a LS430 buyback, in the past month. About 1,200 miles. Serious engine problems, that they were not adequately fixed.

The dealer actually suggested trading the vehicle for a new car. The owner speculated that there may have been some advantage to this for Lexus, so that it was not reported in Lemon Law statistics. But it could have just been the usual terrific Lexus service.

In any event, it was all surprising.
    From test driving it I can tell you it is smoother and silkier still (if you can believe it) with more road feel, good handling (the sport suspension has fabulous handling) and more power due to the six speed. Very quick in 0-60 and excellent torque. The interior is virtually unchanged, remains very very quiet (a bit quieter than the 2001 model) and the back-up camera is great. I'm a leaser so I will take the 2004 in April. The body style is also a bit more agrressive and the car looks spectacular in black, flint mica and cypress. If you go the sport route the 18" wheels make it look better still. If you take it than you should lease because the big change is coming in 2006 as a 2007 car and you'll be much more desiring to change then.
  • Thanks

Mike M.
  • We've got two 2003 745Li's with every available option (except sport package and adaptive ride package) and have never had a single problem.

iDrive is very easy to use once you understand what it's doing.

I hope you enjoy your 7-series.

We've got nearly a year on one of them already and it has been flawless.

The other we took delivery of in May and have not had any problems either.

What options did you order for the 7?

Both cars are identical in terms of equipment except that one is Toledo Blue and other is Titanium Silver. Both have flannel gray interior leather with dark ash high gloss wood trim.

They are equipped with:

Luxury Seating Package:
    -20-way front active comfort seats w/heated seats and air conditioned seats, massage, and 4 position memory

Premium Sound System:
    -13 speakers with Logic 7 digital decoding technology

Convenience Package:
    -power close doors and trunk

19" radials - a must have (look much better than 18s)

Rear Comfort Seats:
    -14-way power adjustable rear seats with heating and air conditioning, 4 position memory

Tire Pressure Monitor - has already saved us once!

Heated Steering Wheel - nice when it's cold

Active Cruise Control:
    -Awesome system that maintains a specified distance between you and the car in front of you, modulating speed to maintain that distance

Electric Side and Rear Window Sunshades:
    -electric rear window and both side windows on either side-all of them are electric!

Park Distance Control - neat feature, use it all the time.

Both of my grandparent's have these cars and they have absolutely no problems with iDrive and both are computer illiterate. I think you'll enjoy that 7!

Welcome to the club!
    I shouldn't watch football games and post at the same time. I'm trying to figure out how I answered your post on this board. I thought I was on the LS board.

Let me know what you do.
  • Does anyone know whether any test data or actual driving reviews will come out on the Bentley Continental GT before they start arriving in the states?
    Got Jet Black w/Black Leather. 19" rims, luxury seats, conv. pkg and prm sound. Heated steering wheel, PDC and shades.

I asked the salesman what the dealership does with the buybacks...he said they go to auction and are advertised as "Buybacks" so the new buyers know. He said some smaller private dealers will sell them without advising the new owners. He said most of the 2003 745's on the market are probably buybacks.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    I'm sorry if this was already discussed when I was out of town (I don't think it was), but JD Power had an interesting study released in late December. It measured the retention rates of auto brands when customers of a new vehicle replace it with another new vehicle.

Here were the top scores:

1. Chevrolet (60.8%)
    2. Toyota (59.3%)
    3. Mercedes (58.7%)
    4. Ford (58.1%)
    5. Honda (55.5%)
    6. Lexus (54.3%)
    7. Hyundai (52.9%)
    8. Cadillac (50.8%)
    9. Subaru (50.2%)
    10. BMW (50.1%)
    11. Kia (49.9%)
    Industry average 49.3%

Below average luxury brands:

14. Jaguar (45.5%)
    16. Land Rover (44.3%)
    17. Audi (44.2%)
    20. Porsche (40.4%)
    24. Acura (36.6%)
    25. Infiniti (36.5%)
    30. Volvo (31.9%)
  • The Porsche replacement is a no brainer--The guy got married-- Tony
  • Anyone want to guess why three brands with supposedly bad reliability problems (Jag, LR, and Audi) have significantly higher retention than Volvo?? Caddy even has retention? ( I thought that when you bought a Caddy it was your last new car?) Chevy out ranks Toyota?? Kia is 10 points above Accura?? I think JD Power got himself into some Christmas eggnog when he wrote this December report.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    No doubt Chevy and Ford's numbers are heavily influenced by their trucks, where buyers tend to be very loyal. I know a number of people who would own nothing but a Suburban; others have owned a long series of F150's.

To the extent brand loyalty is influenced by reliability, I'm surprised by the low numbers for Acura and Infiniti, which are always rated towards the top by J.D. Power. Probably more a reflection of "near luxury" buyers wanting to move up to "true luxury" models as they can afford it - each brand has had relatively unattractive top end models to keep buyers in the fold. That and the fact that the near-luxury segment has become very competitive as of late, with buyers having many attractive alternatives from which to choose.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    I just read an article in Automotive News stating that VW dealers were upset only 330 Phaeton W-12s were offered for sale in the U.S. (all black with ivory interiors). So it seems VW will make more of these cars for the U.S., but with a steep price increase. The car is going up from $83,515 to a whopping $95,215. This is puzzling considering the car is not selling well in the U.S. (or Europe either). VW sold 343 Phaetons in November and December (only 225 of 607 dealers sell the Phaeton). The article gives no explanation for the huge price increase.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Or better yet, using the exchange rate as an excuse to pad the bottom line/gouge the buying public?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Among other things, vwguild (VW salesguy) and some others have talked about the price increase over in Volkswagen Phaeton, in case anyone here is interested in that discussion.