Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    I was wondering what the Escalade had to do with the cars in this topic. I'm glad I wasn't the only one disturbed by Merc1's comments.

The interior of the A6 looks horrible, the interior of the 5 series is better, but still stark and business like. As far as I'm concerned Lexus has been doing the best interiors for years and cadillac seems to be headed more int he lexus direction, while the Germans are doing God knows what. The STS interior is a definite improvement over the CTS and we all know the interior was the biggest source of criticism for the CTS. Assuming the CTS' interior upgrade in '05 makes it looks like the STS the CTS could definitely become one of the class leaders.
  • stevesteinstevestein Posts: 261
    If you don't mind posting it, what kind of deal did you get?
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    Car stickers at a tad over $65k. It has smart access - which is really nice. I get it for $62k. I didn't haggle the price to the bone so its possible you can do better. But every LS due in through the third week of April at Ray Catena is already sold and there are only 5 or 6 on the lot - which they tell me are sold also. Chase is $941 per month and Lexus Finance is $988. Leases are $0 down (I never put money down), $0 security and residuals are 60-61% for Chase and 58% for LFS. Chase gets a $300 turn-in fee but also gives you a $1500 damage waiver. I'm doing 15k miles. Take about $25-30 off if you do 12k miles. My last lease was 12k miles. Per edmunds most LS cars in our area are discounted about $2k so I'm satisfied. I'm funny - in business I fight much harder on price issues than I do in my personal life but I learned a long time ago that any business deal that's not a win-win - or doesn't connote a win-win feeling - is a failure.

By the way a neighbor who took a euro-sport LS in October paid full sticker as did two other town friends I know who bought in December. Lastly if you go to Ray's motor car web-site (not his Lexus site but his overall site) don't pay attention to the new car availability list. It's way out of date - at least for Lexus and probably every other brand he sells.
  • hage57hage57 Posts: 24
    I am buying or leasing an 04 ls430 ultra,flint mica, with ecru. I was able to negotiate a purchase price of $4,900 off of the list. I am checking on a lease(having not leased before)and the money cost is all right, at 2.28%, but the residual on this car is quoted at 50%, by the way, this a 36 month, 15,000 miles per year, from Lexus Financial. Based on your last post, this residual seems very low. I would guess that residuals from base car to a ultra car will vary, but do they then vary from dealer to dealer, or does Lexus Financial set the rate to all the Lexus dealers. Your comments/advice would be appreciated.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hope you folks are aware of our dedicated Lexus LS discussion - there's a lot of information there that some of you would find very interesting, and it's a more appropriate place for some of this recent conversation.
  • hage57hage57 Posts: 24
    Sorry Pat, you are absolutely right, I didn't notice which board I was on!
  • stevesteinstevestein Posts: 261
    I wasn't paying attention either.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    Congrats on the new LS! I'll post my comments on the LS board.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    The concept Lexus coupe that will be at the NY Auto Show that I thought might be the next IS and you thought might be the next SC...we may both be wrong.

Business Week Online has an article all about Lexus. In it they mention "Project Mount Everest," a supercoupe that Lexus claims will hold its own against the $141,800 Aston Martin DB7 Vantage and $113,250 Mercedes SL55 AMG. The car is said to have a V10 engine and Lexus says it may be introduced as soon as the Tokyo Motor Show this fall. If that's true then it would make sense to have a concept version out at this time. Oh, by the way, the expected price is $150,000.
    That car was posted in a sketch a while back - maybe 6 months ago. I think it was coded as the v10 back then and a $150k price was noted. This is probably the updated news and it must be the car syswei posted a few weeks ago. Lexus is definitely heating things up in the next few years.
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    If any of you are interested in learning more of how Toyota came to be, how they approach problems and opportunities and the real story behind the company and development of the Lexus brand, see if you can find this book at your local library like I did:

Against All Odds - The Story of the Toyota Motor Corporation and the Family that Created It. by Togo and Wartman (1993)

The trials and tribulations section of how the company started and barely survived WWII that makes up most of the book is bracketed by an introduction to the terror they went through deciding to risk doing Lexus and the final chapter where they reaped their rewards.

The last chapter talks about their market research that helped them define the Lexus cars. It also energized their committment to create an incredible customer service organization that they also made very low-key.

It might help clear away alot of the cobwebs and speculation that develops here about Toyota's intentions and Lexus' genesis.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    You asked about the next S-Class a few months back. There is some information leaking out. If you didn't know Mercedes will be discontinuing all of their SOHC, 3 valve-per-cylinder engines over the next 2 years. The new engines (V6s and V8s) will all be 24-32 valves and DOHC in design, with direct injection among other tricks.

This fall the new SLK 350 will be the first model to debut with the next generation engine, a 268hp V6. This engine of course will make its way over to the E320 giving us the E350, next C-Class, ML and it will be present in the SL350 (Europe only) and the CLS350 (next Feb). It will also power the upcoming GST (rumored R-Class).

CAR and Autoweek are both reporting that as per usual practice there will be two new V8s. One is a 4.6L with 355hp and the other is a 5.5L with 405hp. These will no doubt power the next generation S-Class (S450 I'm guessing because S460 doesn't sound quite right) and S550. Of course the SL500 will become the SL550 and the next base CL will be the CL550. You can knock off about 4 hp on each for U.S. figures. With the right pricing there could be 6-cylinder S-Class in the U.S. again.

The next generation AMG V8 cars will get a high-revving 6.3L V8 with over 500hp. Autoweek is reporting that Mercedes has already registered the name CLS63 among others. The two V12s stay the same for now.

The bad news is that it is also being reported that Mercedes is going forward with an idrive like system for the next S and CL, only. The British press says that they don't intend to implement this system on the lower level cars.

Also, the new CLS that just debuted at Geneva in production form that would normally come here this fall won't be released here until Feb 2005, to ensure launch quality is right for the U.S. market. The new SLK's interior looks to be of much higher quality than the previous car, even Edmunds said so, a big deal as they're one of the biggest complainers about some Mercedes' recent model's decline in interior quality. Hopefully this new emphasis on interior quality and reliability will be carried over to the next S-Class because the engine lineup looks like it will be class leading. It seems that someone in Germany is finally seeing that there is a problem and actually doing something about it.

M
    I'm curious as to whether people find scratches on their lux cars in places that make it obvious the scratches were not accidental and had to be done intentionally. Several of us were out to dinner the other night and its seems we all have found these things. One guy with an S-classs had a scratch that zig-aagged on his roof for its entire length. I don't need to say what he would do if he found the culprit particularly because he bought the car rather than leased it. I've found a few on my trunk but they were not all that bad and could be buffed out. But on my 1998 LS I had a few on my roof also.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,286
    I had a nice ding on the right front door ($100 to fix by paintless repair) and two scratches, one on the roof and one on the trunk ($80 to buff out) that were all not accidental apparently. The car is a black 2003 LS430UL. Honestly, some people.....

This is my only gift to myself in 40 years, and I bought the car, so it pains me to see things like this. I think that is the intention by people who do things like this.
  • edspider1edspider1 Posts: 195
    I once took my new LS to a high school kid car wash. The kids put a nice deep scratch on the trunk. I don't know what motivates kids to deface our cars. I guess jealous.

Sometimes I'm afraid to park too far away from other cars as it invites attention. And then there are those buffoons who double park. That's asking for a scratch.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    Soon after I purchased my accord I found a small dent at the edge of the hood above the grille and some paint was scrapped off the bumper at work. I believe someone threw a rock and it caused the dent and then it scraped up the bumper on the way down.

Recently, someone dented my father-in laws 2000 LS400, probably with the use of a elbow bashed in the driver side rear quarter panel. The dent ran almost the full height of the rear fender from top to bottom. Good thing paintless dent removal got most of it out.

You know that's what sucks about owning a luxury car. People get jealous of what you have and go around vandalizing it.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    buying a brand new '03 Lincoln Navigator I come out to find a scratch covering 70% of the drivers side of the SUV.. around $600 to fix it! In my area they call it "tagging" and seems to be quite the past-time for local bored ingrates. I guess it is just the price of admission when you get a new car.
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    A while ago I stated on these boards my gut feeling was Toyota was coming out with new Supra. Many people, including Toyota/Lexus fans, disagreed with me. But looks like I might be right after all:

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=07456387

But I disagree with the article. Toyota will want Supra to compete with 350Z, so 100K+ is out of the question. Now there might be a very pricey Lexus variant off the platform to compete with Infiniti GTR, but that's a different story.
  • pen101pen101 Posts: 238
    Since the new STS is not for sale yet, why not expand the comparison to the new Lexus GS, the upcoming new Infiniti M45 and the upcoming Acura RL?

We are living in the best of times (car wise), more cars than ever to choose from in this category and they all just keep getting better!