Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Once again, BMW buyers put up with a lot. A guy in one of the 7-series threads admits that he hates the look, but he can't buy anything else because of the ride. RIDE, think RIDE.

I really like what they did with the derriere—added a lot of horizontal detail to camouflage the trunk lid, kind of like Frank Lloyd Wright architecture. And your wife is right about it looking solid—like a metamorphic mountain of stainless steel—impervious to nuclear blasts.
  • The info from GermanCarFans is straight from BMW NA, so it's no surprise that they are hyping all this stuff that really isn't that big of a deal...
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Yeah you have to read press releases with a big (*) in mind. I think BMW might be referring to the knob/controller in the new RL and I think they probably know the next S-Class' interior layout, considering they are both German companies. GM and Ford have moles in each others companies as do Toyota and Nissan, hell any company worth their salt spies on whoever they think is competition.

M
    I read somewhere that many of the staff designers know each other having gone to the same schools. They allegedly share ideas when they hobnob. Not sure I believe this but it could happen as there are so many curious similarities among brands. In my business it doesn't happen—we'd be shot if we did that sort of thing. Everyone is protective of their work. Then again, the MO in auto manufacturing is probably quite different. Industry cultures vary considerably.
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    Per Autoweek, Mercedes low sales in the U.S. allowed Cadillac to push them into 4th place in the Luxury market in the U.S. Lexus and BMW were 1st and 2nd.

Mercedes also announced continuation of the employee discount plan for Chrysler workers. Now those workers and up to six family members (hope remains supreme) can get a discount of 12.5% off sticker. I can just imagine that all of those UAW folks are gonna step right up and save the company by taking home a new S600 for $109K and change.
  • paldipaldi Posts: 210
    I am considering offering myself up for adoption to any Mercedez Benz employee.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    like a metamorphic mountain of stainless steel—impervious to nuclear blasts

That, imo, is an excellent marketing caption for the 7-series. BMW execs, hello ?? Are you reading this ???

And designman, Lexus owners put up with a lot as well. Like exterior design that is conservative (some call it bland and vanilla), electronics that work as intended, and the RIDE that is, well, CUSHY and PLUSH ! See, we do suffer the same indignities of our chosen brand as well.

:)
    Well, I'm starting to see that you are not the typical LS buyer. You've got a bit of the BMW disease. I remember how enthused you were about your friend's 330.
    I LOVE the 330. I've driven it quite a few times (have 2 friends with identical 2001 330ci). I've always said that the only alternative for me not buying a 330ci would be an IS350 coupe/vert, assuming the latter is comparable in ride, handling, and performance, and with higher reliability and better pricing. Who wouldn't take the Lex under such conditions ?
    Well, my opinion of the 7-Series doesn't change with this facelift. More power wasn't needed. A totaly redesign of the rear end was, imo. Idrive is still present in modified form. Can't wait until 2009.

M
  • vwguild2vwguild2 Posts: 113
    Good thing you are not waiting for o2...:)
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    Have you found any photos of the next S-class that you think are accurate?
    Yes, but I can't post them here, or the link because they're on another chat board. The latest round of pictures look better, think sleeker, mini-Maybach and you'd be close.

M
    Try Photobucket? It's free...

He ain't that heavy, just needs bigger shoes...
    Love that car! Maybe one day I'll be able to pick up a slightly used 2004-5 Phaeton V8 for an unbelievable price????

M
    Is a real beautiful car. I finally saw one at the SD auto show this past month. Loved it. Like I wrote in my auto show report, all it needs is a new badge and it should be a winner. Slap on a Bentley or an Audi or something other than VW, and that car should do real well. As a VW, forgetaboutit...
    It looks even better with a slight 1/2 to 1 inch lowering via VAG-Com software. This one is lowered.

• That car looks like a LEXUS...Is it?..oh it is the VW...it is beautiful.
    Looks better than a Lexus. :-)

• I think it is just about the same?...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,094
    In person.. a definite difference.. the dark colors in the pictures sort of disguises the shape... Much closer in looks to the A8.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Which is why it was never needed and why no one is buying it.
    Do you like it better than current model - at least based on pictures?
    OK, a silver car, with the lowers painted to match the body color. (P-shop)

With these A8L 18 inch wheels, this Phaeton W12 it kinda looks like... an Audi!

"Do you like it better than current model - at least based on pictures?"

Kinda hard to say based on spy pictures. What I'm sure I don't like is that character line down the side. It is the same line on the new SLK which is such a widely used technique today, something a Mercedes isn't supposed to use, imo. The new S is much larger though, about the size of the 1992-1999 W140 model. There is also a new interior shot floating around that looks nothing like the one first seen last year, you know the one that made it look like a 7-Series clone. In recent years I haven't responded well to MB bodystyle changes at first, like the 1996 E-Class or the 2001 C-Class or the new CLS, but after I seem them in person and on the road I ended up liking them quite a bit. So I'll just wait until Sept 11-13 (Media days for the Frankfurt Auto Show) to see the real thing, that is if MB doesn't release an official picture before then.

M
    The Phaeton and A8 have the segment on looks if nothing else, nothing besides the S-Class is even close.

M
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    .. **Maybe one day I'll be able to pick up a slightly used 2004-5 Phaeton V8 for an unbelievable price????** ...

They're going for cheap monies right now .. 04 Phaeton V8's with only 5/7k are only doing the $43/$44 range at the auctions, I would think a dealer would probably cut one from the herd for the $46/$47 range, thats quite a whoopin' for a vehicle that had a $70,000+ sticker - Ouch.! ... that said, they did have a killer lease going on for awhile - $699 X 36, with $999 out of pocket ...

Terry.
  • sv7887sv7887 Posts: 351
    Hi All,

Styling is pretty bland across the whole segment..I nearly bought an S430, but it wasn't for looks either..I don't find the Phaeton or A8 anything special lookswise..The only car I that I thought was a head turner was the previous generation XJ8..The new one lacks the flair of the previous car..That said, the new XJ is alot more practical in regard to headroom. I'll be the first to admit my new LS430 is bland, but then again there really isn't anything out there that's especially good..

I think the best looking cars where the mid 80's MB S Class and SL..The Early Lexus LS,SC, and ES are a close second. There is a dealer in MA (Hatch & Sons) that sells very low mileage late model Mercedes cars..Next time, instead of buying new, I might picked up a late 80's SL..It still looks good today.What a classy design!

SV
  • vwguild2vwguild2 Posts: 113
    Can only speak for the West Coast, but there are no 2004s left...I have one, but it is my Service Loaner...