Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• footiefootie Posts: 636
    The question in #5291 was very simple, (and we don't need a fifty page, wandering, melodramatic, paragraph answer),

The question :

How many LS buyers find the price of the S class 'too high'.

IMHO, one day you will learn to use IMHO in front of your pronouncements.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    See there it goes again another shift. Now we're back on that again. Figures. Now you're no longer saying that I stated the prices were justified, so now we're back to the front.

I Clearly stated that I didn't have the numbers and that since people, you know actual Lexus buyers have come foward to state that price does matter, that should be all the proof you need.

Of course this doesn't help you because you're a CR/JDP graph person and unless information is in that format you can't understand or grasp it. If you need a graph conduct your own survey.

If a actual Lexus owner comes forward and says price matter, that is the biggest proof anyone could ask for. Does their word not count?

Did price not matter when you bought your LS?

For a person that lives for marketing surveys and graphs you sure need a market 101 class.

M
  • Merc:

Price does matter...When...The more expensive item is inferior to the less expensive item.

If you agree, and you seem to indicate you do, What is the agrument?
  • Merc:

Well..You have agreed the 89 Allante was rated superior to the SL of it's time and that the 93 Allante was rated superior to the SL of it's time...I can live with those admissions.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    My '94 XJS-V12 was better than the Allante.. except for all those service trips that is.
  • lEXUSGUY:

Allante could hold it's own in service required...they stopped making it in 93 the year they put the northstar system in it...the 93 was fast.

The Allante always turned heads..it is a beautiful car still. IMHO
    Well that would be your opinion :) I think even the short lived Infiniti M30 convertible was more attractive, but they both could duke it out for "worst '80s dash". Still neither of them compare to this black beauty. She was a real looker. I almost miss her. Sniff.
  • lexusguy:

She is/was a beautiful car.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    You're confused. What post did you read? The 1993 Allante was NOT superior to the 1990-2002 SL. I said the Allante was superior to the 1989 560SL. The Allante beat the 300SL in one test in 1993 and it did so based on hp, not a darn thing else. The 500SL slaughtered the Allante so bad to the point of market retreat, and except for the hp difference the 300SL was superior in every single way possible. You'd have to be either a GM employee or totally clueless about cars to think an Allante was superior to the 1990 SL.

M
  • Merc:

I could be clueless but I believe the Allante in 1993 was far superior to the SL of that time: Faster, more beautiful, very comfortable for the class, Hi-Tech rich, better ride, more room, a very usable trunk that would take a set or two of golf clubs and still have a little room left for luggage.

But believe as you will.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    What? There is no way the Allante was superior in any way to the SL of the early 90s. That's a joke. The 89(maybe 90)-on SL series was unmatched. Personally I still like that boxy body style better than the current SL and that early 90s SL was a technological marvel.
    If the Allante was so great, what happened to it? The automotive press widely describes the Allante as garbage, one of Cadillac's worst moments. I dont remember anyone saying "Mercedes killer" in '93. If a car is beating the competition, you dont kill it off, simple as that. Jaguar and Mercedes went right on making better convertibles.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Posts: 491
    I considered the Allante when I moved to the US and car-shopped in '95. Decided it was too pricey, got a used but fairly new M30 convertible (also mentioned in this thread) for $20k. The reasoning was the last thing I wanted to be bothered with in a new environment was car trouble, has reputed Japanese reliability considerations came in. The M30 did not impress: failing top, electrical glitches that ditched the car a few times, and finally paint that peeled off. Alfa Romeos were put together better in the early 80s. I ditched the M30 for a '96 (last model year) XJS convertible - white. My favorite car ever, and one I bitterly regret having sold. Argh. I could still kick myself. So I understand the ex-XJS owner. Which might serve as a lesson with those claiming a car buying decision is merely a price-benefit calculation: it's not, if that were the case the LS430 couldn't justify its price premium either, because we'd all be driving econo-boxes. The element of emotion, of rewarding ourselves etc etc is instrumental to car purchases. And when you get that right, wow. It's love. And the XJS is indeed the famous tale of the one that got away and will keep my heart halfway broken forever. :-)
  • Lexusguy:

Show me one article where the auto press EVER discribed the Allante as Garbage...It any't so.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    The Allante was never highly praised. Yes it looked nice, but from what I remember reliability problems abounded with it.
    Yep, all kinds of rattling interior parts and things that just fell apart, not even getting into the awful top.
  • scottphillipscottphillip Posts: 249
    I had a used 1998 back in 1990. I enjoyed driving it, but the top didn't work well. I did get lots of compliments on it. It was pearl white with dark red leather and had a custom blue and green pin striping.
  • I owned an Allante for 10 years...It was about as reliable as a Mercedes, I admit.

I would note that the car came with a 7 yr. bumper to bumper warrenty.
  • Lexusguy:

My Allante was as tight as a drum, even after 10 years. Things did not fall off of it. It's mayor problems were the top (you will never see an Allante that hasn't had the orginal top replaced), and electrical problems, especially the computers...BUT..It was a very Hi-Tech car for it's time and it was fully warrentied for the first 7 years.
    My XJ never had top problems, it was mostly electrical demons left over from Jags of yesteryear. Some of those demons are still there.