Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• ejerodejerod Posts: 86
    If trying to decide to lease or buy there are many things to consider. I for example considered that the cost of ownership is less when leasing initially, but you usually lose with a lease on the back end unless you keep the car in immaculate condition ( which I do) and/or sell it yourself and keep the difference. keep in mind that when you lease there is usually a one year prepayment penalty if you pay it off the first year. I leased the car initially to be sure I wanted to keep it. I do so I'll pay it off after the prepayment clause is terminated. Some think leasing is the least expensive way to own a car. Well let's look at this example. Say you owna 95 MB S500. If it were paid for you could get nearly 30 in trade value, and if you were buying a new MB S500 at 90 K you drive off for 60, in an equity position, and with the advent of the new free maintenance agreement the cost of ownership as opposed to leasing is now negligible. So weigh your options and see what's best for you...
  • scongroscongro Posts: 80
    What does the LS 430 not have that the S 500 does have (besides 13 more horses)?
  • I am considering a '95 740IL, and after reading your comments...I may not! Are there any satisfied '95 740IL owners out there? What percent of that vehicles ends up with engine problems?
  • bwhbwh Posts: 76
    They will ALL fail. The problem is a chemical reaction between the sulfer in gasoline and the nickel used to harden the cylinder walls. Gas in some places has less sulpher, hence slower deterioration. It WILL happen eventually. Of course the up side is to find a car with say 100k miles that has the new block installed around 80k. Now you have a bargain!
  • Be careful with this car. This car is weak in several maintenance areas. Starting at around 55k miles and up to 95,000 miles, here are the things that went wrong with mine:

- dashboard illumination for the outside temperature gauge went out at 60k. $1200 to repair
    - both right and left front bushings needed replacing at 55k
    - head gasket leaked, entered cooling system at 70k. This meant the radiator and hoses ($2,200) had to be repaced. Plus the gasket.
    - some joint under the car had to be replaced ($345)
    - transmission went out at 88k. $4300 to replace

This car was maintained accorded to the service booklet since its purchase. Was very glad to get rid of it. Now very happy with an E320.
  • Interesting discussion string. I'm very sorry for those of you who spent $30,000+ extra to buy a MB S500 AMG instead of the loaded LS430.

The exterior of the MB is bland. I agree that the LS430 has similar exterior styling. The interior of the S class MB, though, is simply ugly. Why do you need to reach to your feet to use the window switches? What's with the impossible to see and use navigation system? What's with the thin cheap rear seats in the MB, -- without standard rear seat heaters! What are those funny buttons in a circle at the top of the dash? And, I simply love the speedo, which reminds me of my parents' buick station wagon when I was growing up.

My last car was the previous version S Class Benz, a loaded S500. When I saw the new model, I could not bear to buy it. Instead, I waited for the Lexus and am quite pleased at the comfort, power(not any slower than the S500) and ease to drive. And, this time, I pocketed the extra bucks, went to Maui, then Cabo San Lucas, and then got another plasma tv, with change. Sorry, guys, the new S Class is a loser.
    I'm glad you travelled with the money you saved and bought yourself a plasma tv. ( Although I know you're more than exaggerating a bit about all you did with your savings because I do own a plasma tv and a plasma tv is every bit of 20k alone, so if you went all those other places on 10k you're either a financial genius or you need to at least practice lying so your stories would be more credible..:) I'm always amused by people who post messages that are obviously lying about what they own or what they bought. It's like this. Buy what pleases you and to heck with what other people think. And leave the boards to the real owners or those who are investigating various products to make an informed decision. And by the way it was only paper money not gold bullion and I didn't care!!! Again, whatever you drive be happy as I am with my decision.. Happy motoring..:)
  • 20k for a Plasma TV?? Try less than 10k, 42" with built-in line doubler. www.plasma-usa.com. And, you can look my villa up at the KeaLani on Maui and my villa up at the Westin Cabo San Lucas. Quite fun, actually. No lies here, -- including the vehicles.

I appreciate your inaccurate rhetoric, ejerod. Fact is, ... your smokescreen won't change the fact that my LS430 is more car than the S500 at 30k less. More room, bigger trunk, ...

And, yes, I enjoy driving my vehicle, -- very much. Smooth ride, very comfortable seats. Rock solid reliability.

The only other car that came close is the Audi A8L. Very nice too. Similar price, but just a tad too big. The 740iL is also a winner, but, with a new model coming out next year

See ya. ha ha ha.
  • I am in the market for a used luxury car. I only want to spend about 25K. I found a BMW740IL with 39K for around that price but after visiting this site I dot know if it is a good car. I also like the BB E320. Any advice would be welcome
  • mcargomcargo Posts: 1
    Thank you for your comments on the 95 740i! Does anyone know if BMW will honor the need for engine replacement given this problem? I have a 740i with 55,000 miles, and no problems yet, but has BMW agreed to fix this systematic problem free of charge--with loaner? Any other problems with 1995 740i's that I can expect? All is well except for my glove box falling open and some alarm system issues.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    The S-Class is bland, what a joke. The LS430 is the absolute most boring looking car on the road it looks like a 65K Avalon. I can't believe someone said the S-Class is bland. The LS430's design is a poor, very poor imitation of the previous generation S-Class. Pitiful design, great car.

M
  • is4b2rdis4b2rd Posts: 66
    Well, I've been a Mercedes officianado since learning to drive in a 66 230SL. Up until the 2000 SC-lass, I think the cars have been the best engineered production vehicles in the world, and the increasing price reflected that. The previous SC-lass (W140) was unduly criticized for its size and bulk, but what an impressive vehicle. I did notice a decontening in that car from 1993 until 1999 model year, but still the car was awesome and impressive. The new SC-lass (W220) is a joke. I REALLY wanted to love the car. Yes, I think the styling is very sleek, but the interior is so cheap that it barely qualifies as a Korean car. The S600 does provide a bit more "elegance" but at a huge price. Mercedes built this car to a price point, whereas before the cars were built to the dream of the engineers. I realize that BB needs to make money and needs to sell more cars, but I would have hoped there would have been more of a compromise between price point and engineering. someone BB, hard plastic should NOT be a part of an SC-lass interior. Cover it up with soft materials for goodness sake. I am afraid that Lexus with their LS430 has increased their luxury quotient and the SC-lass has DEFINITELY lowered theirs. Very sad to see that happen, very sad indeed. If I were in the market for a sedan, the choices are the S-Class, LS430 and the NEW Jaguar XJ sedan that will be coming in a couple years. Friends, I am here to tell you, that car is going to outdo the S-Class, and priced closer to the LS430, I am afraid it will steal customers away from Lexus as well. The car is said to be a technological marvel and the body will be all aluminum and of course a more comfortable interior with those luscious Jaguar curves on the exterior. So, I would probably wait for the Jag. Barring the jag, if I could pull my head out and get over the "prestige" factor, I would choose the LS430, albeit with the full lux package.

MB can do it, they did a fine enough job on my CL500, which I do love and though the interior isn't up to the level of the previous generation coupe, it is yards ahead of the S-Class, possibly because of its full leather interior and my color choice of black, which can hide a multitude of sins in an auto interior.

Whichever car anyone chooses, it should suit their needs and desires, that's all that matters really. For me, I am just saddened to see Mercedes become just another car manufacturer. Guess that leaves Rolls-Royce, Bentley as cars to stive for as snob appeal. :-)
    That should have been SC-lass, not SC-lass. Sorry.
    Sure Mr Needham , next serious post by an adult ( not some teenage kid ) that has something relevant to say please ?
  • ravramravram Posts: 7
    Hello!

I am in the shopping phase for a "new" car. I'm 22, and have had 9 different used cars in the past 6 years. Right now, I have a 1999 Kia Sportage EX, and like it well enough, although the payments are too high for the car. It's a good enough car, but not something I think I can keep for 10 years, and love. My parents have always had Mercedes Benz's, and have advised me to invest in something German. I used to have an old, beat up WV, which ran GREAT, but was a little too rusty to suit a 17 year old! :-)

My question is this: I have found a 1988 BMW 750iL for sale for$10,9, with only 76,000 miles on it. Is this a deal worth looking into? (Mercedes seems more expensive for me right now. I'll hold out for a nice, used ML320 in a couple of years.)

Does anyone out there have this car, or anything to say (good or bad) regarding this car? Is maintenance super high on them? We have an old family friend who repairs MBZ's and BMW's, so I think I'll be okay there..... I hope.

Any help or information would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much!

Mona
  • I have been fortunate to own several new Mercedes over the years. The last 5 have all been new I class sedans. With each car I have witnessed a slight decline in quality. My current I class is further evidence of declining quality. Whatever the reasons, Mercedes has decided to shelve quality, expecting their reputation to keep them afloat. What BB does not realize is that BB may be gaining first time buyers but they are losing existing owners. I will not purchases another B.
    I've never heard of an I Class before. And, what is BB?
  • tomsky3tomsky3 Posts: 48
    The spell checker thinks that MB is a BB and the S class is really the I class.

Jack
  • reguyreguy Posts: 1
    Hi Folks,
    This is my first time on. I just purchased a 1998 740i w/ 56K miles for 30K. No warranty, but appears to be in excellent cond. Unbelieveable car so far as I can tell. The ride is so much better than I even expected, however, I have never owned a "luxury" car before. A couple of questions. 1) Does anyone know of a good warranty for a reasonable price or if they are even worth purchasing? 2) A little late, but does the price I've paid seem reasonable? There is a lot of conflicting info out there. 3) Are there any common problems I should be looking for and are there ways to avoid them if they exist? Thanks.
  • bwhbwh Posts: 76
    Well if you could do it all over again the best way to pick up a used 7 series is under 50k miles at the dealer. This way you are eligible for BMWs extended warranty out to 100k miles. Too late for that in your case, but I would seek out a warranty for this car. They are wonderful machines but they are very expensive to repair. The car doesn't really have any real glaring faults other than its complexity. I would bet if you paid $2000 or so for a warranty out to 100k that it would easily pay for itself. I would check with the dealer to see which aftermarket warranty companies they deal with.