Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• Merc:

I don't think I mentioned style...However I would NOTE: that back in Mercedes hayday they weren't exactly noted for style. Now it seems that Style has over taken quality at Mercedes...FORM OVER FUNCTION.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    Since I love giving examples, here is a couple of examples of resale value.

I found 1 2001 BMW 740il for sale at my local BMW dealer(certified) with 31K miles @ $40K.

I found 2 2001 LS430s for sale at my local Lexus dealer(both certified). One has 36K miles and is selling for $45K and one has 24K miles and is selling for $47K.

Now, if you take a MSRP of $65K for the 2001 740i(which I think is accurate) since it doesn't seem to have every option, you get a resale value of approx. 61%

Meanwhile if you take the MSRP of the LS430 with higher miles(36K miles) and use a sticker price when new of $62K(which I think is accurate) you a resale value percentage of 72%.

Seems like a rather wide disparity on planet reality.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Cayenne brought the Porsche rating down singlehandedly. But Porsche has a reputation for getting on top of problems. They have to... their new models are known for FMY issues. All Porsches rule... Cayenne included... drawing-board sedan included.

Livinbmw... hang in there... they'll keep going as long as you can. The question is how long you can last, especially with Lexusguy comin' out of his mouth sideways. One more day of this and you're hired for the 8 to 4 shift. Merc has the 12-8 graveyard covered.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    MERCENARY TO FIGHT LEXUS CROWD
    4PM-12midnight shift
    Must have BS in JDP and CR Statistics
    Salary commensurate with experience
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,662
    You're becoming the Al Michaels of the board. I love it. Thanks for the levity.

The allstar game was awful.
  • sv7887sv7887 Posts: 351
    Livinbmw,
     Again you state baseless opinions..Where are the facts to back this up? I think the RX has been widely praised across the board in the auto mags. It's not like the typical SUV owner is looking for a high performance truck! The RX is giving the public what it wants, as evidenced by the sales. Even if they were, get a Porsche for pete's sake. I'm sure a Cayenne will outperform anything else.
      As for the residuals argument. The depreciation stats are determined by what the market is willing to pay, not what the Lease contract states. Have a look at the used car listings for a true representative sample. I had this argument with a Jaguar dealer last week, and in the end they had to concede I was right.

As far as NADA, the Lexus dealer seems to use something new everytime I go there. The Herb Chambers dealer nearby actually uses Kelley Blue Book. Oddly enough they actually invite you to look up the car's value on their terminal. Maybe it varies by dealer. Go figure.

I'm sure the host is going to intervene at this point and tell us all to cool it. So on anoter note...Is it me, or am I seeing a higher percentage of female drivers in the high end cars? I've seen scores of women driving XJ8's, LS430's and even S class cars. What do you all think?

SV
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,662
    In and around rural areas I do find more female drivers in the cars. Going too fast on the highway in my "boring" LS430 to see if that consistency is maintained though. I'm not bored at all and love the car in everyway but the mags and some of these posters insist that is the case. They must know better than me.
  • livinbmwlivinbmw Posts: 120
    Here again, I'm referring to the product line as a whole and the fact that the BMW is the performance leader in luxury sports sedans.

Maybe, consider that luxury is the easier part of the equation. Jaguar has a high luxury feel and so does Saab to a certain extent. But, how tought is it to slap a bunch of shiny wood on a car with some chrome and a bundle of techno gadget features compared to coming up with the "ultimate" in driving machines?

Look, you guys are driving good cars in those toyotas, no doubt. But, why get bothered about the fact that BMW's are by far and away the true driver's choice (does lexus offer a stick in anything?).

questions.........
    "Jaguar has a high luxury feel and so does Saab to a certain extent."

Saab has a high luxury feel? You're joking right?

"But, why get bothered about the fact that BMW's are by far and away the true driver's choice (does lexus offer a stick in anything?)."

It seems like you're the one that is bothered by Lexus.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Where did I get $45K? Edmunds own road test, thats where. "MSRP of Test Vehicle: $43,445 " look it up if you like. They didnt have every single option, so therefor a maxed out X3 should cost at least $45K. I've got bad news, $45K is the domain of another SUV, the FX45. Ever driven one of those? Its got a 315hp V8, and will CRUSH an X3 when it comes to performance stats. The FX can run with the NA Cayenne. Neither the X3 or X5 can play in that league. But the marketing says they are the "ultimate?" what happned? Infiniti and Porsche out ultimated them, it looks like.

"But, how tought is it to slap a bunch of shiny wood on a car with some chrome and a bundle of techno gadget features compared to coming up with the "ultimate" in driving machines?"

Very "tought", apparently, as nobody else seems to be able to match Audi and Lexus in that department. Nobody else, including BMW, has mastered the perfect balance of rich woods, razer thin panel gaps, and spotless build quality. Just because the commercial says BMW's are the best, doesnt necessarily make it true. Believe it or not, those BMW commercials tend to be rather BMW biased.
    I'm trying to reply to everyone here but it's taking a little time with me becoming the favorite whipping boy on the thread while trying to make a living.......

I'm all for getting a Cayenne over an RX. The RX is giving the public what it wants as you say, but then again the Big Mac is probably the best selling burger, too. Why a jaguar dealer would want to get in a resale debate with a savvy shopper is beyond me.

As for the Kelly Blue Book thing, I think that KBB is very dealer friendly. In fact, it seems that what they list trade-in value for is often a favorable # for the dealer and may even equal what a wholesale appraisal would be. Black Book is the bible for cash values based on auction transactions.
    Infiniti......well, infiniti sold about 11,000 units total last month. So, they are not a huge factor in the market and I don't think BMW is particularly concerned about them. However, I have driven them and I think they are cool. It is quite the performer definitely. Personally, I much rather prefer sedans and the FX is a bit ugly as is the Cayenne in my opinion. That is a good point though about spending upper 40's on a lux SUV if you wanted an absolutely loaded to the gills X3 you certainly could consider some other makes. But, I think that BMW will sell more of the lower priced 2.5's that can be bought for mid 30's. I'd be for sure though in selecting a 4.4 liter X5 over the FX. I just got to drive the new 4.8is X5 and it's a bad SOB. It's sweet that the new X-drive will allow it to be 100% rear wheel drive.

I didn't catch the commercial where BMW said they were the best. I do recall the tag line "Ultimate Driving Machine", and my 100% agreement will be reinforced on the drive home in about 4 hours.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    We can debate opinions, thoughts, ideas, facts, etc. without attacking someone with whom we disagree.

IOW, as predicted, the host is stepping in now to say cool it.

:)
  • sv7887sv7887 Posts: 351
    Livinbmw,
      We're all making a living and considering that many of us own these cars, we sure make a good one. I am close to early retirement hence my ample time to engage in these pointless discussions. Like many here, my Lexi are something I take pride in.
      I have to agree with you on the Jaguar point. The XJ8 has a wonderful cabin, but has pretty good performance specs too (Especially the XJR) I don't think Jaguar caters to the Buick crowd. Their styling is alot better than what Bangle has come up with. I think they are somewhere between BMW and MB in terms of performance and luxury.

I think the board is taking issue with your relentless bashing of Lexus..You've ignored critical points such as dependability and high end electronics and safety systems. Mercedes is probably the most innovative of the bunch, but Lexus makes cars that feature superior ergonomics, electronics, and a good combination of performance and Luxury..

In your quest to characterize the "Ultimate" driver's car..Remember, Lexus isn't a niche market player. Hence they design functional cars that appeal to the general public's needs. If you want custom, get a M5, XJR or AMG MB.

I think Toyota is probably the healthiest automaker out there, so they must be doing something right. I sincerely doubt anyone will question their business model. We've seen the sales numbers and seen that the LS outsells the 7 by 2 to 1. Obviously the majority doesn't agree with you. Also if BMW offers the Ultimate experience, please explain the success of Infinit as of late.

SV
    "well, infiniti sold about 11,000 units total last month. So, they are not a huge factor in the market and I don't think BMW is particularly concerned about them."

BMW sold about 18K units last month. but the difference is Infiniti is growing at a double digit(%) rate the last 2 years and with new and exciting products like the upcoming M45 they will be selling alot more cars in the near future.

I like the part about BMW not being particularly concerned about them. That is a foolish statement. It's kind of like when Mercedes fans weren't concerned about Lexus in the late 80s, again thinking, they wouldn't compete with Benz.

"Ultimate Driving Machine"? I would be more apt to put that with a Porsche 911.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    BMW might want to start thinking about maybe possibly becoming concerned. How much does an X5 4.8 actually cost? Somehow I doubt its in FX's price range. The 277hp G35 sedan and 295hp G35 coupe are very interested in making some deep gashes in BMWs 3 series market share, and they've got the product to do it. The Gs are repeated 10 best winners, and if Nissan can repeat that magic with the M (which I'm quite sure they can, since its based on an even stronger and more advanced version of the FM platform), they can do some serious damage to the 5, which has thusfar been getting mediocre reviews, and was beaten in comparos by a Cadillac of all things. So the 7 hasnt been received well, the 5 hasnt been received well, the X3 hasnt been received well, BMW sure is on a roll. Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura are going to pose MUCH stronger threats in 05\06, and BMW has already laid its cards down on the table and only managed a pair of 2s.
    Toyota is incredible, I agree. In fact, as I mentioned I worked for toyota for many years and have a deep appreciation for the product and the company.

This whole conversation built steam from the point where I stated that BMW's are more sturdy and better drivers. I'll modestly stand by that.
    a 4.8 is low 70's. BMW sold 24,432 vehicles in May. Infiniti 11,143. 3 series has been top 10 for 12 years.

I'm sorry and don't want to offend anyone but the cadillac is no comparison to a 5. NO COMPARISON. The day that GM produces anything that is truly comparable to a BMW is the day that I buy one. Cadillac, geez, why even bring them up? The 7 has sold more than any previous 7. So, that sounds like pretty good reception. The 5 is the best car in the segment, still, but by a larger margin (remember Consumer Reports Magazine, BIG pro-toyota people, said the best car that they've ever tested was the 530i).

Go drive a new 545i (if you can find one)to experience the premier sedan in the industry. You'll find that a lot of owners of such a vehicle will select the 6-speed manual because above all they value driveability and performance. You just won't get that in a Japanese model or, shockingly enough, from a Cadillac.

Good points, though.
  • warthogwarthog Posts: 216
    BTW, livin, the 530 that CR raved about was the late E39 model. They apparently don't think as highly of the E60. Neither do I.
    welcome to the gangpiling......

The new 530i is superior in every way to the previous version. It's quicker, it changes directions with jaw-dropping efficiency, it's roomier, it's safer, it's quieter, it's even got better cupholders, just what americans needed.

Don't doubt BMW. When they bring out a new model they improve the entire package. And, they've done it with the 5, the 7, the Z.