Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• quemfalaquemfala Posts: 107
    Max

"That statment is a bit silly considering I see soo many old ladies driving around in BMW & benz's who can't even merge properly onto highways"

You need to come-on-down to "old fogey-ville" here in South Florida. It's enough to make one weep! All the too-old guys in a lot of all too cool cars. The XJR's, SC430's (in wild colors), Vipers (mostly yellow), S type R's,; and of course the Bentley's, (and dare I say it) more Town Cars than exist anywhere else. AND -- not a one of them know how to drive! Pick one -- I don't care if you're a Lexus guy, BMW guy, and MB guy or whatever. It's all here and mostly all abused! Too bad, I'm still waiting to pull in behind one of these relics (the drivers not the cars) and accept an offer to take it off their hands because they think that it goes too fast (25 in the 35 zone!) LOL, LOL!
    Well any way, time to stop by and see my favorite jeweler on Worth Avenue, to have him wind my self-winding Rolex. I think that there's something wrong with it because it keeps stopping, and he keeps telling me that it's "lack of wrist movement" that makes it stop. Maybe I should drive faster!
    Life is Better at the Beach
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    I must be extra dumb today.

I couldn't figure out the post that said

Demographics Psychographics
    Gender Athletic

What was concluded there? Were 51% of the 'in the know' men athletic?

While the women love to drive and are interested in getting married to get ahead.

Was there any source for this other than a BMW sales and marketing blurb somewhere.

I'd love to look at the original report unfetterd by strange alignments.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    Being an information industry expert I can tell you there is no such demo as "athletic". There are some nice names given out by Claritas - the premier US demographer - as "fun" names describing certain zips like "shotguns and pickups" and "palm beach goldcoast" as just two of many. Check the Claritas website when you have a chance.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Please cite your source.
  • livinbmwlivinbmw Posts: 120
    I don't know if the source would appreciate me giving out that info at all much less sticking their name on it ........ This is just friendly chat, right?
    MUNICH (Reuters) -- BMW expects record revenue and earnings this year as the German luxury carmaker's sales grow by a high single-digit percentage, Chief Executive Helmut Panke told journalists in comments embargoed for Friday.

Remarkable to some for a company that builds such unreliable, ugly cars.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    Is it a friend of yours that came up with those demographic studies?

I can't see why your "source" would mind you giving out that information. Unless car demographics are controlled by some top secret agency.

I truly remember reading maybe a year or 2 ago that 3-series buyers were more heavily skewed towards women. could be wrong though.

Now how about those RX330 demographics since you claim it's a "chick car" and you obviously know it all.

No lame insults today, BTW?
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I've driven our RX plenty of times, so that means at least 1 man drives one
  • warthogwarthog Posts: 216
    Do you guys have no sense of humor? A wisecrack intended as a friendly rib sets off a firestorm.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Well said. Livinbmw, sales and profits isnt an area you want to tout BMW's "superiority" against Lexus. Toyota makes more money than Nissan and Honda combined, more money than the big American 3 combined, and more money than BMW, Daimler, and VWAG.
  • topspin628topspin628 Posts: 373
    Wow! Is it just me or are there some Lexus employees on this board? Sure seems personal.

Anyway as a point of interest, a limo service picked me up today in an 01 S500. It's a small company and the owner uses this car all the time for limo duty. He has over 160K on it and told me that he never had a problem, electrical or otherwise. Only basic maintanince and at a bit over 100K had to have the front end done- is that normal at that mileage for most cars?

He bought an extended warranty for 150,000 miles so it was at no cost to him. Car felt tight and quiet from the back seat and I never would have guessed the miles. I guess "some" benzes are still "good as old".

Another interesting question/point: With car performance,features and reliability improving for all brands, it would be interesting to see a review of a 5-7 year car done now as if it were new and to see how it would rate right now against today's standards.
    A RWD Car is generally more reliable that a FWD car in the chassis dept. So I wouldn't doubt a S500 only having a front end job at over 150K miles.

"Wow! Is it just me or are there some Lexus employees on this board?"

It doesn't seem to you like there are some(well actually one at this moment) BMW employees on this board?
    Stay away from profits - for your own good. It'll take BMW 20 years to make what Toyota made last year. You need GE or Microsoft to top Toyota and that's just barely. BMW doesn't play in that league.
    "Lexus is outselling BMW again this year by a rather large margin"

As of June it Lexus 115,102 to BMW's 115,737

WRONG, again, MAX.
    Don't know about that because you don't put any sources with your posts. But the last official scorecard I saw had Lexus well ahead of BMW with record sales and they just had a great June. Actually - 18 consecutive months of record sales is what I read.

I'd love to know where you got your demos from on the 3-series. I know the demographic codes backwards and forwards and every company that puts them out and never saw many of the demo profiles you posted.
    Couple of things here --

First, some of you need to calm down. I've removed some posts and will continue to do so if the messages continue to be uncivil.

Second, if one cannot or will not post a link to a message that appears to have been copied and pasted from another website, the message will have to be removed. The link must be publicly accessible - meaning not to a site that requires a paid membership, for example.

There are several reasons for this - ensuring we are not violating copyright laws is one of them. Showing the readers that the pasted material wasn't completely made up is another. Letting the readers here evaluate the source for themselves is one more.

Email me with any questions or comments, thanks.

And please keep this conversation civil. There is a very interesting debate going on here, but the one or two of you who can't keep the flames out of your posts are out of line.

Thanks.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Yeah. Plus this is the geriatric ward of Edmunds and the cardiac monitors are smoking at the nurses station... I'm all shook up! Think I'll sneak a shot of VO in my Ensure... oh Jeez, gotta go... here comes the nurse...
    Think again livinbmw,

Thru 1st half of 2004:
    Lexus: 138,139
    BMW: 125,824

Both of these numbers are from their respective press releases on 7/1/04.

Better yet, BMW had 3 new or redesigned products for 2004, the 5-series, 6-series, and X3 and sales have only increased 5% over the same time in 2003. Meanwhile with the supposedly cushy cars that nobody wants(and that are unsturdy, bland, chick cars) Lexus increased sales 17% over the same time and with the only new product being the RX330.
    Hmmm ... all of you who keep quoting sales figures would be far more credible if you'd just link to your source. Dunno why that's so hard. :)