Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• tiny1tiny1 Posts: 26
    Thanks Designman. I'm hoping that it is just as easy on the 7. I like the size of this car, and with the extended version, folks in the back can stand to lose a little more room.
    Thank-you for the point of view oac...I would rather have a BMW warranty too, but this car happens to be sitting on a Nissan lot. Read-on for a weird story. Actually, I stalled too long when this very car was on the BMW lot in January and someone else bought it. I really felt sick because I wanted the car, but just couldn't pull the trigger fast enough. Three months later, I happened to be driving and saw it on the Nissan front row (sticks out due to special "highline" color). The buyer apparently drove it for 3 months and traded for a preowned Nissan pickup and a handful of money (citing financial hardship). Still interested, I went back to the BMW lot to pull maintenance records and happened to mentioned it to my old salesman. He remembered that the guy that bought it traded in a benz with temporary tags!! (3 + cars in 3 months). WOW! I researched it fully 3 months ago. It passed used car checks at the BMW and skeptical Nissan dealer and I have all maint records from birth with no glaring issues. The buyer did not take it in for anything after the sale (e.g. no bad service news post sale). And, it is still covered until 9/05 with BMW factory warranty (it was prior certified). I still like this car, but I don't know whether to think this is my destiny or a trap. This is one reason I really want a good bumper to bumper warranty. The deal as it stands now is 2000 740 iL, 55,500 miles, great condition, $23,800. Thanks for listening....I had to tell this to someone....
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Tiny... try this forum..."BMW 7-Series Owners: Problems & Solutions". I think Mr Shiftright used to be the forum host there but he still hangs out answering questions. Chances are he'll give you a good answer. He's an industry pro and seems to have a handle on the 7s. Used BMW 7s can be tricky deals. They can be very costly to maintain and I'd go over the warranty with a fine-tooth comb. Also check the "Extended Warranty" forum.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    (BTW, I thought Vonzell would win. She had the purest voice. I liked Carrie but she needs to loosen up.)

IMO, they really cut down the real talent weeks ago when the elimated whole rooms of contestants. They really didn't have anyone but Vonzell, Anwar and Constantine in the final 12 that really had any talent. The rest didn't even deserve to make it as far as they did, imo. I never liked Bo Bice anyway.

I stopped watching after my votes failed to keep Vonzell on the show. I only tuned in to the finale during the last 10 mins just to see who won.

M
  • bennychbennych Posts: 8
    I really like the new 750 Li after test driving it and I am getting ready to make the purchase decsion. The only problem is my concern about reliability. Can anyone help with input particularly with regard to late model (2005) experience? Have things turned around or am I looking at just becoming a great pal of the BMW service manager? I appreciate your help.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Hi Tiny1: Designman's response is a good one. Also do check out Mr_Shiftright on Edmund's, he is a wealth of knowledge on cars in general.

A 5+ yr-old car with 55K miles and looking for a 3rd owner is worrisome enough. Do you know if the car was off lease when the second owner acquired it ? or did it come via the auction route ? May not be anything to worry about, but then it may be... It may just be a lucky draw on this one. Personally, I will pass on such a vehicle, but it may be destiny for you. Just continue your DD and cross your fingers...
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,678
    I actually though the best singer won but that Vonzell and Bo were better entertainers. Vonzell is immensely talented and is genuinely nice. She will definitely land a record contract. She should do very well as should Bo and Carrie.
    Thanks for your help oac. The car was off a lease...and all maint was done at the local BMW dealership. I have all records, including items done when it was returned from the lease before it was offered for sale. I'm still considering, but proceeding cautiously. Just like last time when someone else bought it! I have a couple of notes on other forums looking for Mr_Shiftright. Thanks again....

Tiny1
    Thanks designman....I took your advice and posted to the "extended warranty" forum. I have a couple feelers out for Mr_shiftright also....Thanks again for the tips.

Tiny1
  • flyfisher1flyfisher1 Posts: 37
    My goodness, the hybrid is not an easier transition. Especially if one considers all of the extra parts involved (not including a price premium that is now more than the price of fuel). Add to that the mother of all batteries and you've got a cloudy future vs a diesel that only requires pulling up to a different pump at the gas station.
  • I have a hybrid...it is easy for the customer to transition to...You use the same gas pump that you have always used...

You never see the battery, the price premium is about $3000 I paid $27,000 for a fully loaded one...every option, GPS, Pass key, VSC, Premium sound, Through the dash 6CD changer, I was very aggressive in going after one and had it fresh off the boat in less then 30 days. The GPS is better then the one in my 01 lexus...

It starts with the electric motor...totally automatically shuts off the engine at stop lights and instantly goes when you push the accelator...JUST LIKE A GOLF CART....plenty of power to cruse at 70-80...ours has less then 5000 miles and is avg. right at 50mpg in mixed driving...am told it will get even better as the car breaks in. ...I do like my LS much better but my wife loves the Preis ....
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I agree with you. I can't wait for the diesels. It's going to be an interesting few years.
    I actually though the best singer won but that Vonzell and Bo were better entertainers. Vonzell is immensely talented and is genuinely nice. She will definitely land a record contract.

I hope she does because if there is anyone that deserves to make it in spite of not winning it is her. I think Bo will likely get some type of deal for him and his band. I don't see him making it alone. In 2003 you didn't know whether or not Ruben or Clay won the way the trumped Clay up at every moment, even calling him the American Idol when he appeared in places. It was really disgusting to me. He didn't win.

M
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Too much is made of the winner. Probably many of those contestants will get their feet in doors due to the exposure. What they make of it after that is up to them and circumstance. I liked Nadia and thought she was very professional and endearing. I don't think Carrie will make it because she doesn't seem to really want it. She sort of won in the role of the ingenue, you know, Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. Gotta wonder if Paula Abdul will wind up stalking Bo.

;-)
    Gotta wonder if Paula Abdul will wind up stalking Bo.

I think that already happened. My wife's view was that putting the hat on her in one of his performances was a thank-you.
    Was in Burbank, CA this past Memorial Weekend, and while parked on a street off the road, someone neatly pried off my front passenger side turn signal, housing and all....on my LS. I didn't even notice until I got home last night. I never had a car burglarised ever until this one. Thankfully, the car itself wasn't stolen or worse, more damaged than a ripped-off light.

The replacement cost from Lexus is $126 + 45 minutes of labor (@ $90/hr). I think I'll probably put it back in myself and save myself the labor cost.

I was thinking how easy is it for the parts on these high-end cars to be pilfered ? Are they that easy to pry off ? I looked at the hole and the connector left behind, and there was not even a scratch showing an attempt to steal it. It must have just come off real easy. Bummer !
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    It probably goes on easy too and would take your dealer all of 5 minutes, but you would pay for 45...

I heard a Denny Clements speech once where he boasted that Lexus dealers are the most profitable in the US. Good for them, bad for us.
    While Paula is no saint being an ex-Lakers cheerleader, I don't believe Corey at all. He's trying to get his 15 mins to promote a lame CD at her expense.

M
    Don't get me wrong, I like Paula. The show needs her great personality. The guy I love on that show though is Randy Jackson. He is really classy. I didn't realize he played with Journey on tour at one time either. Did you know that Simon, who is just too full of himself, sold his business which I assume includes Idol rights, for $170mln recently.

I have contacts in the music industry. I'll try to find out if Vonzell lands (or already landed) a record contract.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    for me to say let's get back on topic ...

So...

Let's get back to the cars now folks! :)
    That the 7-series has a 10.0 Consumer Rating according to the header on this forum. How so ? Are these consumers blinded to the styling on these new 7-series ? The new 645ci's rear design and trunk is really terrible, ditto on the new 7-series. IMO, many of the mainstream car stylists have really lost their touch with the kinds of designs being churned out these days. Even the recently released e90, while not quite Bangled, has so many strange lines. I don't understand the need for the exagerated crease running along the entire side panel.... The rear is kind of ho-hum.... Interior is quite spartan, even for a German car, the saving grace being the excellent ride and handling, as always. Methinks Lexus can truly mount a formidable challenge to the 330i with the IS350 if priced right. Handling should not be the problem as the current IS300 handles quite well already...
    OAC - based on 1 review. Sample size is everything.

Did you fix your turn signal? This incident made me think back to the old hand signal days. I actually had somebody signal me that way this weekend. But you're over 3,000 miles away and the car was no LS.
    Did you fix your turn signal?

Not yet. Just too busy to get to the dealership this week, and I am off to Japan and Korea this weekend. It will have to wait till after my Asia trip. Recall I mentioned a trip to Japan this June, where I plan to snoop around for as much info on the 2007 LS as much as possible. If I hear anything newer than what we already know, you betcha I'll be passing them along.

BTW, what is *the old hand signal* ? Maybe I am too young to recall this ???
    Both cars are in some sales decline, based on the YTD numbers. Their redesigns cannot arrive here any too soon.
    Actually the 7 is also . All three are 12-15% below last year. The A8 is +7% but we are only talking about 2400 cars sold in total there thru 5 months. The LS is on sched to sell about 30K cars and that is a good year. 2004 was an excellent sales year.

Drivers left hand/arm straight out meant left turn. If it was flexed upward instead it meant right turn. It was before my time - predominantly a 50's and 60's thing. Some motorcycists still use the hand signals and giuys in old cars that you sometimes see on a saturday also do.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,580
    "....had someone signal me that way...."

Oh, I get the (one finger) signal a few times a week.
    That the 7-series has a 10.0 Consumer Rating according to the header on this forum. How so ? Are these consumers blinded to the styling on these new 7-series ? The new 645ci's rear design and trunk is really terrible, ditto on the new 7-series. IMO, many of the mainstream car stylists have really lost their touch with the kinds of designs being churned out these days.

That simply means that the 7-Series buyer has either ignored and/or grown to like what you think is terrible styling. Kinda the same thing I think Lexus buyers have been doing for years and years. Accepting awful styling because of the cars many other positive attributes.

M
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    "That simply means that the 7-Series buyer has either ignored and/or grown to like what you think is terrible styling."

Did you fail to notice that next to the 10.0 rating it says it is based on only ONE rating??
    Actually, I thought the 3rd gen Lexus style was often described as *vanilla* or *boring*, never awful.... But the Bimmer style is just plain ugly, especially the bulbous trunk. That is different to being boring.... BTW, I don't agree that the LS style is boring at all. My 2nd gen style is very graceful and ages quite well. It remains a head turner despite its age. MBs are of course, much more elegant, no doubt, especially the current E- and S-class. I won't argue that MBs are better styled than Lexuses, but maybe the styling will improve for the LS with the L-Finesse direction. I guess we'll see when the 2007 LS is revealed...We already know what the 2007 S looks like; certainly a regression from current style, imo.