Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• enigmaoneenigmaone Posts: 128
    http://www.detnow.com/naias2000/11-lexus.html

The pictures are in of the 2001 LS430 at the above site.

It looks good!!!!!!!
    Video is also available at carpoint.com website.
  • vbnmvbnm Posts: 21
    indeed, it is only my opinion, but BLECH!!! it appears lexus employed liberal use of MB S-class styling but then threw in the most lamentable dimensional disproportionalities of the toyota echo. two questions: 1) what type of ganja were the designers smoking 2) (the obious follow up) where can i get some?!
  • The video (and pictures) in carpoint.com are of the 2000 model, not the 2001.

The new one looks sorta like an E-class with some subtle bulges on the fenders.
    The video on carpoint.com under the 2000 NAIAS auto show is of the 2001 LS430.
  • rmkrmkrmkrmk Posts: 1
    I am in the process of buying an MB S500. Please share your buying experiences regarding any discounts from MSRP and which dealers you think I should shop.What color looks the best on this car? I have not seen all the colors in person. How about the interior color? Thanks!!
  • ldrldr Posts: 9
    Been looking at this vehicle also "very impressive" to say the least.Have seen in silver, absolutely beautiful! But being a black car freek, the black on black was obscene! Has to be the finest body style MB has to date. Reading the brochure (novel) is so feature rich, it has to be the most advanced vehicle available today.
  • Went to the Detroit Auto Show yesterday and no real and confirmed date yet on when the next BMW 7 series is going to show up.

BMW rep. at the BMW stand said don't expect it for the 2001 model year. He said it would most probably show up in the summer of 2001 as a 2002 model. And he would not say why the launch of the next generation 7 series has been delayed by over a year.
  • That Lexus LS430 is a blatant copy of the Mercedes Benz S-class, if ever I saw a blatant copy! Wow! Body shape, rear lights, model number ... even the wheels! I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

As to buying an M-B S500 at a discount, forget it! These cars are on 6 month back order; and M-B dictates sticker pricing a la Saturn.

The good colors on the S-class are all of them. I have brilliant silver with charcoal interior. The only one that leaves me a bit lukewarm is the black, although it does look very formal.
  • That Lexus LS430 is a blatant copy of the Mercedes Benz S-class, if ever I saw a blatant copy! Wow! Body shape, rear lights, model number ... even the wheels! I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

As to buying an M-B S500 at a discount, forget it! These cars are on 6 month back order; and M-B dictates sticker pricing a la Saturn.

The good colors on the S-class are all of them. I have brilliant silver with charcoal interior. The only one that leaves me a bit lukewarm is the black, although it does look very formal.
  • ... sorry about hitting the button twice ...
  • hello25hello25 Posts: 30
    And whose flagship just copied whose with electroilluminesent lighting? Who had a navigation system first? Whose executive said their drivers would not need it? Who most recently introduced wood steering wheels?
    The recent S class both downsized and upgraded itself to meet market standards. The new LS
    does take Mercedes styling into account, yes.
    But you are mistaken if you think Mercedes Benz is the be all and end all of the automotive world that it was in 1896, and during a period of time
    in the 1970's and 80's.
  • flint350flint350 Posts: 250
    As a point of interest, I have noted many talk of the MB active cruise control and that the Lexus also will have it. I am currently researching the purchase of either an S430 or Lexus LS430 for the fall. My local MB dealer says none of the MB cars have (or will have) the active cruise due to last minute fears of law suits (a sad, but separate commentary on our litigious society). The Lexus is still planned to have it. What with the elimination of the Euro delivery discount (or any reasonable negotiation below the inflated MSRP) and the quality and other issues reported, MB seems to be helping me make a seemingly difficult decision. If the Lexus comes out anything like it is announced/anticipated, MB may certainly lose market share. At least my share, but I await the new 2001 models with open mind and room for change.
  • Although Lexus invented lights, Benz was the first car with 4 wheels! And an internal combustion engine! Lexus has now shamelessly copied these important design features!

Not only that. They also made the body style a blatant imitation of the M-B S-class.
  • rollierollie Posts: 337
    Regarding post #55:

I believe mike2567 was referring to the fact that Daimler-Benz invented the automobile.

-rdo
    russell.ollie@usa.net
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I'll be surprised if Lexus does offer the active cruise control feature. Some idiot will expect the car to drive itself....like lane correction, stopping, and swerving. Mercedes wouldn't take that chance and unless the Lexus system has some type of idiot-proof feature, I'd expect them to delay their also.

M
    The laser guided cruise control on the LS430 is going to be optional. So I'm sure it's going to have it, as a option. They may have a big warning sticker on the window, with the owners manual, etc. stating what and what it does not do!
  • hello25hello25 Posts: 30
    Now if we can just figure out whose ancestors invented the wheel we can make Daimler Chrysler pay them royalties.
  • flint350flint350 Posts: 250
    FYI, the MB dealer told me almost exactly that - they were sued by some woman who "misunderstood" her briefing on the regular cruise control - set it on the hwy then turned around to get something from the back seat. Obvious result. Don't know if this is true or anecdotal, but that is how he explained Benz's decision to drop active cruise despite heavily advertising it.

For enigma: the prior LS400 nav system was not compatible with the Nakimichi, but the new one is standard, right? So the Mark Lev. must be compatible with the Nav sys. and the Nak. no longer an option, I assume? And that means touch screen control for the Mark Lev. and some steering wheel control?