Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Please dont invite more of this pointless debate. Mike is obviously going to remain in his camp, and the rest of us will remain in ours. And just a btw, an Integra R with some goodies would make short work of a 7 second 0-60 sprint. I've seen some of the Nopi drag races on Speed, and its amazing how much power they've been able to put through FWD cars. For regular production street cars though, power + FWD is a pointless setup. Just ask the 93 Viggen, S60 T5, TL, Maxima, etc etc etc.

Toyota going after Kia would hardly be the first example of a hypocritical infringement suit.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I agree and that is bascially what I was saying about having that much power in a fwd car. Such a layout can work and does in many cases, but it has limits as those cars you listed proves and in a high-end GT car it is nothing to brag about it is just plain dumb.

M
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    "Toyota is the last company that should even think about taking someone else to court about styling, as they're almost as bad as the Koreans."

Actually, I think they are worse. I see progress with the Koreans. Toyota shoots in the dark.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    Just as I thought another post made by you which you can't back up.

The only even slight knock-off I can think off is the LS430 and even that isn't really, because, personally the only resemblance to any other car I can see is in the C-pillar rearward area.
    Thought? Really? There is nothing to back up. Styling is a personal thing. What, back it up with what a link saying that a car like the MR2 is a fake or wannabe Boxster. The LS430 is as obvious as dirt.

Like I said before if Toyota/Lexus has any such styled cars (2-3 per you not me) you already made my point.

M
    2-3 out of 20+ models says nothing.

Look, your argument has been shot down before. YOu know when you say every Lexus is copied off of Benz, yet you can't come up with anything except for the LS430.

If you count little styling cues as being knock-offs, everything would be a knock-off of everything else. Take a look at the 5-series, the rear end looks like a old Kia Rio, even MT caught that one, the current CLK looks like it has bits of Volvo C70 coupe and Mustang in the rear, the new RL rear looks like a number of cars, Hyundai XG, BMW 7-series, the rear of the BMW 6-series has been compared to the old Chrysler Cirrus. And the rear of the LS430 looks a bit like the S-class. big deal. What else can you come up with besides the LS430 and MR2? Nothing?

What is the ES a knock-off of?(I know you won't have a answer so you'll come up with that lame statement "it's ugly").
    How about a RX330?
    LX470?
    GX470?
    GS300/430?
    SC430?
    IS300?
    Celica?
    Tundra?
    Camry?
    Avalon?
    Corolla?
    Tacoma?
    Solara?
    xA
    xB
    tC????
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,665
    Hey - Chaz lives in my town. Supposedly he's a great guy. I haven't seen analyze that as yet. He was great in "the usual suspects" as well.

Hey what happened to audibob?? "I think someone fell off of the roof".
    First of all I never said that every Lexus was a copy of a Benz. Never said any such thing. I said the LS was.

2-3 out of 20 may be nothing to you (obviously) but it proves my point, which was that Toyota is in no postion to sue anyone over styling issues. Like their styling is unique compared to the Koreans. Nobody said their whole lineup was guilty of anything so your pointless challenges are just that, pointless. You proved my point a few posts ago, there exists some Toyota knock-offs. End of story.

I ascribe your dismissal of a car like the ES330 being ugly because that is what your fav specializes in. Comes with the job.

M
    I didn't prove your point at all.

You said Toyota knocks off cars like the Koreans, which I basically shot down.

If a car has similar styling cues it does not make it a knock-off. Otherwise we could say Benz is a knock-off also, so is BMW, Infiniti, etc.

"I ascribe your dismissal of a car like the ES330 being ugly because that is what your fav specializes in. Comes with the job. "

Typical merc1, trying to spin things around. I didn't say it was ugly, you have said that before when I shot down your statement which went something like "Lexus copies Benz styling" and you basically couldn't back it up so you resort to the ES is ugly.

So far I don't even see 2-3 knockoffs. Do you? In fact I see 0.
    Yeah I think I tend to agree with Max on this one, Toyota is not on the same page as Hynudai\Kia, where pretty much EVERY SINGLE CAR looks a little too close to a European or Japanese car, though Kia is the worst offender.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    "Nobody said their [Toyota] whole lineup was guilty of anything..."

Well allow me to be the first. With the exception of trucks, vans and the MR2. Their whole styling lineup sucks more than anything has sucked before. Of course the exception is the Bangle lineup with which they are probably dead equal.

Ljflx... did you see A Bronx Tale? That's the movie that made Chazz. I think he wrote it. Also it was DeNiro who recognized his talent and was heavily involved in producing/promoting it.
  • livinbmwlivinbmw Posts: 120
    This is a recall that involves 13,000 2004 LS430's that will get new transmissions.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "Of course the exception is the Bangle lineup with which they are probably dead equal."

Not even close. I can't wait to get my 2005 Bangled 3-series with the 333-hp engine.
    What does sucky styling have to do with the term "knock-off"?

And seriously, I don't see where their car line-up is that sucky in terms of styling compared to other mainstream brands at similar price points.

The only Toyota that I find really ugly is the Avalon.

The Camry may be blah but definately not ugly in it's class, especially when you compare it to the Malibu.
  • sv7887sv7887 Posts: 351
    Livinbmw,

That recall includes replacement of the Fuel Pump as well. Apparently to soften the blow they're providing a $200 Gas card..(That's secondhand info from the Lexus owners forum)..This underscores my point about the LS quality slipping on absolute terms. I definitely feel this car is not as good as original LS400's in build quality.I've heard my dealer service consulant lament this many times...I think Lexus along with other manufacturers are too busy cramming pointless electronics into these cars..

I don't have much use for most of these toys as I feel they distract from the driving experience..Also they affect the durability of the car..I sincerely doubt a LS430 can go 12 yrs trouble free with all the electronic gimmicks it's crammed with..

I think have to agree with Merc...The current LS is a shameless copy of the older S Class..The resemblance is clearly there..Their styling has become more unoriginal as time goes on. Maybe 2006 will bring something better.

I find myself more willing to trade some of the Lexus reliability for something that's sleeker and more original in design. Frankly I'm quite disappointed with this LS430..Mine is only two years old and the design hasn't aged well at all..The paint chips way too easily despite being waxed 4 times a year..I've also had to have the rain sensor replaced 3 times and the steering column motor replaced.. I never had any of these problems with my prior LS cars. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but perhaps part of a growing one. I've owned enough LS cars long term to have the experience to comment on this..

SV
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,665
    The LS recalls are for cars made up to January. I escaped this as my car was produced in February.

The site below is a good check for recalls. The LS is the only Lexus under a recall right now. Just about every BMW (somethin livinbmw didn't point out) and every MB model is currently under a recall.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.c- - - fm

designman - saw it. He's an excellent actor. I'm also a big Deniro fan. The guy can be an excellent dramtical actor and at the same time has a great delivery for comedy. Deniro did a lot of charity work post 9/11 and lives in Tribeca.
    "Just about every BMW (somethin livinbmw didn't point out)" Well obviously. This is a guy that loves even the 7, and as bad as the LS is supposedly getting, I guess from #1 in the segment to.. slightly less #1...touting the 7s reliability over LS is laughable. Especially the 740i, what a junker that was.
  • livinbmwlivinbmw Posts: 120
    RAV4
    Previa
    echo
    Paseo

Previa is by far the ugliest.........
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    Just about all the BMWs except the 3 series.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    All of them. No that's not fair. They aren't ugly, they are blah. The new style of BMW may polarize people, but at least they are handsomely athletic.