Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• I'm 28, so take it with a grain of salt, but I haven't played a CD in my car in a real long time. I will not own a car again that does not have at least an auxiliary input for an Ipod or MP3 player. So far superior to CD changers, it's not even funny.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Before I jump on mp3s in the car (preferably flac files, but I suppose at least 256 VBR mp3 would be enough to get by) I want to see storage built into the car's sound system. Even a million dollar car stereo will be killed by the 12 cent DAC thats in pretty much all portable mp3 players. Almost as bad as those cassettes that connect to a portable headphone jack.

Until then, I'll stick with my dino era CDs, and their infinitely superior sound quality.
    I think the new Austin Healey "Mk IV" concept is stunning, but there are just so many things stacked against it. Austin does not have the rights to the Healey name, and without the backing of a major auto company, I dont see any real chance of success in the market place. I'd absolutely love to get behind the wheel of an Austin Healey again though, and this time it would have the benefit of having (supposedly) 300+ hp V8 engine. No longer the "poor man's Jag".

http://common.weblogsinc.com/common/images/3060000000046137.JPG?0.9619618256758341

My Mk II was just like this car, two tone black over white, with the bolt on windows and impossible double-clutch four-speed. At least I never had to worry about my wife driving it :)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Please use the URL button to post links. If you have questions, shoot me an email. Thanks!
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Are you refering to this car ?

Hmmm !!! Merc1 if this car was your wake-up call to the MB stable, I am quite surprised. Compared to today's styling, this MB is kinda stale and bland as vanilla....
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    merc1,

I'm surprised you would view the late 80's 300E as offering better styling than say Audis of that time.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,675
    The 300E was hardly an inspiring car IMO. Now the SL - totally different story - that always was the MB I wanted amd interested me in the brand from day one.
  • Oh come on now, this audiophile stuff about car stereo is funny... The line out of my Ipod sounds plenty good through my Onkyo reciever at home, and through my Sony car stereo. Can't tell the difference from CD for me.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well guys I didn't say that the 300E was "inspiring" or that it was better than Audi's styling at the time. I said that it was the car that got me interested in the Mercedes-Benz brand. Compared to the brand of car I liked most then the 300E was very much different. I had already known about and liked Audi before really having anything to do with a Mercedes.

Secondly, bland, vanilla etc...to each his own I guess. To me the W124 E-Class was a timeless design that still looks good today. Especially the 1994-1995 facelifted models.

You have to remember that the SL that roamed the streets in the 80's was a design that came out in 1971! Now the SL after that, the R129 that ran from 1990-2002 was another favorite.

Yeah the W124 E was hardly of the swoopy design language that Mercedes has today, thing is though they were hardly considered bland and vanilla back in their day. Its really easy to judge an old design by today's standards and call it bland.

M
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    Merc, I understand exactly what you are saying about your "epiphany" with the 300E. It definitely made a statement that was very different from the American cars of the day. It was perhaps staid in its design, but its looks fit with the "solid as a tank" reputation that MB had (and deserved) then. Yet if you read the reviews of this car (such as on mercedesshop.com, the source of the pic which oac posted) you will all see that it was a fun car to drive as well: "These cars possess a handling feel that is almost unrivaled in the Mercedes Benz lineup. The tossable, nimble, almost 4-door go-kart feel is truly a joy. The fact that this is coupled with a wonderfully smooth ride and precise steering make the driving experience that much more enjoyable."

As a young lawyer, I myself went with an Audi 5000S back then (1980?), but if I could have afforded a 300E I would have bought it in a minute. And I would probably still have it now, that's how good a car they were. In contrast, the Audi blew a rod before it was 5 years old.

In those days, with an MB you actually did get what you paid for....
    Merc, I can see what you mean. The SL was the car that did it for me but that classic front end with the grill on every other MB was really the definition of the brand from a style perspective. Looking at 1960-s thru 80's Benz models - even today - is like looking at the movie Casablanca for the 50th time. You know what will happen but the acting is so great you still have to watch.
  • I would have to say the SL did it for me also...I lusted after that car for years (unable to afford it)...When I could afford it I found I didn't fit in it comfortably...and found a new love the Cady Allante and did buy one and had it for 10 years...

I liked that car so much..I remember when I first got it, I would pass a BMW Convertable or an SL and feel sorry for the poor guy driving it...Silly I know. My Allante still looked fresh in 03 when I sold it.
    "I liked that car so much..I remember when I first got it, I would pass a BMW Convertable or an SL and feel sorry for the poor guy driving it..."

Somehow, I bet they felt the exact same way about you. :)
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    I'm wondering if Cadillac might be the marque merc1 lusted after before he latched on to MB. Any comment, merc1?

You guys will laugh when I admit that back in the late 70s I actually liked the exterior styling of the AMC Pacer.
    "Its really easy to judge an old design by today's standards and call it bland."

Well, there's bad old design, and old design that really was so gorgeous that its still amazing today. There's only one American car in the history of US auto that I've ever really thought was goregous, the original 1953 Corvette. A few of the T-birds were pretty good, but they never measured up to that first Vette.

My love of English cars was kindled by stunners like the XK120 and Aston DB4. Those cars look just as good today as they did then. By '71 auto design went seriously down hill, and by '85 it was basically dead and buried.

Somebody at Aston Martin actually thought this...thing looked good:
    Aston Martin Bulldog
    You guys will laugh when I admit that back in the late 70s I actually liked the exterior styling of the AMC Pacer.

To the contrary, syswei, my all-time favorite American car (I am not American, if you haven't already guessed) was the '70s Mercury Monarch. That car was elegant, stately, rich-looking, and had a commanding presence on the road. A car driven by US ambassadors globally, at least in the '70s. I lusted after that car, and promised myself if I ever had any money, that's the car for me. Of course, I was barely 12 yrs old by this time, so much for been a car fan that early.

In the '80s, it was MB bcos every rich person had one. But by the '90s, MB was off the radar for me. Why ? Bcos it represented old money, to me. It represented everything I wanted to forget. Regardless of how beautiful and graceful the cars are, MB as a brand belongs in the past. Nothing against them really... Lexus was the new kid on the block...I was impressed by their reliable and conservative outlook to their cars. And they bucked the old-timers. That was the deal breaker... That a starter could kick the behind of the old guard. I love that about them. And remain loyal to that brand, for now. The brand that intrigues me the most is BMW. Despite their long history, they remain *new* in my eyes. If only I could sub-consciously overcome my fear of their reliablity issues, I'd buy one. And therein lies the dilemna. I do not want the Bangled ones, and scared of buying the older models (whose style I believe are timeless) due to... well... reliability concerns. Who knows...
    BMW actually seems to be the most reliable of the German brands. Compared to some of the worst VWs, even the 7 series could be considered a reliability all-star.
    Nah - I think Buick was his first love.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    "even the 7 series could be considered a reliability all-star."

You got any facts to back up that claim, Cowboy? Cause, my friends who have the 7 series' would tend to disagree with ya.
    Accoring to CR, the '04 BMW 7 scored "poor" (20%+ problem rate) in three areas, and "fair" in two. Everything else was rated at least "good", with four "very good" catergories, and one "excellent".

Compare those scores to the '04 VW Toureg, which earned a "poor" score in an astounding eleven catergories, at least half of which could be considered critical. Only three catergories were rated adove average (less than 10% reported problem rate). Compared to that, the 7 looks pretty good.
    You and syswei are smart guys, but:

Nah - I think Buick was his first love.

Nope! ;)

M
    "Compare those scores to the '04 VW Toureg, which earned a "poor" score in an astounding eleven catergories, at least half of which could be considered critical. Only three catergories were rated adove average (less than 10% reported problem rate). Compared to that, the 7 looks pretty good."

Oh, please! Compared to the Peugeot, the 7 looks pretty good too! Doing better that a Touareg, the worst SUV on the planet, does not make the 7 a reliability champ. Compare the 7 to a Lincoln Town Car, and it looks pretty awful.
  • Bill Gates drove a Lexus LS 400 in early 90's. But outside of U.S., MB and BMW are considered more prestigious than Lexus.
  • mbzlvrmbzlvr Posts: 14
    My 2005 S430 has a 6 disc changer in the trunk and an single slot CD/DVD player in the dash. I think this is a great setup getting the best of both worlds. I don't think I'll be loading and reloading six discs while driving but I can handle one disc at a time. If I were on a long trip, I assume that I'll be able to take a driving break sometime before I play all six CDs in the trunk changer and would be able to exchange disc magazines while taking my driving break.
    What I like are car stereos that have the ability to read mp3 files from CDs. A 6-disc changer would be 4.2GB worth of storage, which is more than plenty for even the longest road trip, and that would negate the need for the lousy sound quality of a portable player. Plus, I'm not big on items that can become projectiles in an accident.
    But outside of U.S., MB and BMW are considered more prestigious than Lexus.

And in the U.S. they are too.

M
    I had a car with the changer in the console, actually, and a slot in the dash. It was superflous to me. A 6 disc changer in the dash is optimum IMO. You can change one anytime, anyone you want, anytime, even while driving, and don't have to mess with a magazine.
  • Says who someone who drives a Mitsubishi?? BMW's claim to fame is the $35K 3 series which is getting pounded by the better built much more reliable Japanese. Lexus built their name on LS which is the best built production luxury car of yesterday and today and will continue to domimate over the 2nd rate quality german candy cars.. Imagine the LS which was a basement bargain $38K in 1989 is now over $75K full loaded and the next ones will be over $100K..
    My 2005 S430 has a 6 disc changer in the trunk and an single slot CD/DVD player in the dash....

Aha.... A 2005 S430 still has a CD changer in the trunk ?? Well it may be a great setup for mbzlvr, but I submit that if a $15K Kia can have an in-dash CD changer, how can an $80K S-class have a single CD in-dash ?? For a luxury cruiser, methinks it is wrong. Period...
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    I currently have an in-dash changer, and I really don't see that much of an advantage over a single disc.... Whenever I want to listen to a particular song or artist, I never remember which disc is in what slot so I don't know which disc to skip to. Or if I need to put a new disc in, I don't know which one I'd want to remove because I can't remember which disc is where.

Overall, I wouldn't ever buy a car with a changer (even an in-dash) if it cost me anything extra.... I certainly do not see an advantage at all.

As a result, I don't know why we are basing our ideas of what "Luxury" cars should include with regards to CD changers.... Seems pretty dumb to me. :confuse: