Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• ideleidele Posts: 200
    With respect to reason 2) let me point out the following; I have a new RX400h and a colleague has new Audi A8. I took him out for a drive and he marveled at the touch screen in my Lexus. The Audi has something like the I-drive which he has learned to handle but he definitely preferred the touch screen. I assume that Lexus will keep their touch screen.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    "I assume that Lexus will keep their touch screen."

Why would you assume that? Simply because it makes sense? I would tend to agree with you - if they weren't putting in an I-Drive simulant already. Bodes poorly, IMO for the future. Nobody likes it - but they keep using them in Germany. I'm actually disappointed to see Lexus going that way.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    " if they weren't putting in an I-Drive simulant already."

Where did you hear that? I havent heard anything about some sort of joystick control system in the new LS. I was very surprised to see Acura go that route with the RL, but it would be even more of a shock to see on in the LS.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    I figured out that to lease a 550 for 3 years, it would have cost me between $7000-$7500 more than the 545.
    You know with the comfort seats and the upgraded surround-sound audio system, I do believe the 545 can fit into this discussion.
    Yes and also, it really isn't too smart to buy the first year of any new model, even Lexus.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    From everything I know - Lexus is bypassing an i-drive like interface.
    That one I'll disagree with. I had the 95, and the 2001 which were two big model changes. Never had a problem and don't know anyone who did. 2001 probably posed the biggest risk - not because the car was new, but because Lexus had to increase capacity as the demand was about 40% higher than they expected.
    Anyhow, talk of the 2007 LS piqued my curiosity so all weekend long (except for 3 hours of watching the Bucs beat the Falcons in a real thriller), I went through about 700 posts on the 2007 LS and High End threads; the latter, for some reason, I fell way behind in.

I read something maybe 100 posts ago about the 2006 GS vs the 5 series.
    A Lexus big-wig definitely stated that the newly revamped GS was aimed squarely at BMW and that it was intended to be a "5 series killer."
    So the anticipation was great. Big let-down. If this was Lexus' idea of a 5 killer, they have a lot of work to do.
    Even the Lexus apologist CR downgraded the new GS for less than inspiring handling.
  • ideleidele Posts: 200
    I hope that you're right. My colleague, mentioned in the earlier post, is German (born in Germany and still a German citizen although now working in the USA). He bought a new Audi A8 because he wants awd and believes Audi is best in awd. He freely admitted the Lexus touch screen is superior and also loved the rear view camera. the quietness and the flat cornering of the Lexus hybrid because of its low center of gravity.
    I thought you might.
    I guess if anyone would be capable of proving my maxim wrong, it would have to be Lexus.
    We'll see.
  • I believe Popular Mechanics used to have a Torque-to-weight metric for an estimate of real world straight-line performance. Made quite an impression on me.

It will be interesting to see how hybrid systems change the equation.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Posts: 491
    Gearing is a big factor here. It is the converter from engine torque to tongue at the actual contact patch. Of course, luxury sedan drivers don't like to manually change gears as much as sportscar drivers! Hence stuff like 7 ratio autos.
    The only Lexus I know of that had initial year problems is the GX470, and those stemmed from the specific factory in NA where they are built. I've got a '01 LS430, and its been absolutely perfect. I plan to buy the '07 car, and I'm not worried about initial year issues. Leave that to the Germans.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    It will be interesting to see how hybrid systems change the equation.

It changes it bigtime because electric motors provide maximum torque at less than 1 RPM and the torque remains constant at all RPM. Currently with lone gas engines, you can get a real good idea of performance without even driving a car by reading engine and drivetrain specs (gearing), particularly the torque/horsepower curves. It all changes with the hybrid combination. I think to get a good idea of hybrid performance, they will have to reveal wheel torque as alluded to by Pablo. In any event, cars’ acceleration rates are always the bottom-line indicator. But it’s always nice to know how that is coming to fruition—it is not so easy to assimilate with hybrids.
    "Ljflx can afford a Bentley but what does he drive… a cheap Lexus"

Maybe when I sell my business but for now I'd much prefer to spend excess money on product enhancements and new products that are strategic. The car I always lusted after was the SL though - as a toy car. I hope MB gets its act together though because they are making that car impossible to desire with their reliability issues. My cousin got rid of hers because she had constant problems and told me I'd be nuts to want one. True luxury to me is something that delivers what a luxury buyer wants and builds it with high quality and high reliability.

But your point illustrates something I've been saying for a long time. That being that earned money spends that money more prudently than unearned money. A bigger hosue or something that sets someone apart by providing a real convcenience or luxury standard will do the trick. A car - unless you are talking a Ferrari (maybe) doesn't do it. For example - there's not that much of a difference between a Bentley or Rolls and an S-class, 7 or LS430 as far as I'm concerned. They all do the job very well of providing luxury and convenience in the manner that a buyer is seeking. But there is a huge difference between flying privately and flying commercially, including first class. So the earned money will go that route most of the time before it even entertains a Bentley etc. Likewise earned money will buy second and third homes and then things for their children before they entertain thoughts of exotic cars that quickly lose value. I will always maintain that most (not all) exotic car buyers are inheritors of money or CEO's whose board of Directors are looking the other way and not doing their jobs right. It is interesting that real high end sales have ceased growing since Sarbanes-Oxley got passed.
    Are there even specific SAE rules for calculating horsepower and torque ratings for hybrids? It seems that the way Toyota rates HSD cars is different than the way Honda rates IMA cars, etc.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Need to contact you. Can you respond to ? Thx
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    "The only Lexus I know of that had initial year problems is the GX470, and those stemmed from the specific factory in NA where they are built."

The GX 470 is not built in North America, but rather the Tahara plant in Japan. That plant is one of the best in the world in terms of the quality of vehicles produced.

The RX 330 was the first, and is the only, Lexus to be built in North America (Canada).
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    I've got a '01 LS430, and its been absolutely perfect. I plan to buy the '07 car, and I'm not worried about initial year issues. Leave that to the Germans.

LOL!
    I've got a 99 BMW 323, and its been absolutely perfect. I plan to buy either a new BMW 330i or the next generation BMW 5 Series, and I'm not worried about initial year issues. Leave that to Lexus and their GX470 :D

It has been 7 years since I owned my BMW and I still have not developed a 7 year itch in which I look at younger and sexier cars with a roving eye! My car has been just as reliable and faithful to me as my dog named Rasty!
    OAC - can you put up an e-mail address on your profile for me to contact you.
    Silly me.... here is my email address:
    OAC - still missing.
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    There's probably a security measure in place that prevents people from giving out their email address, which would invite spam. Maybe email the moderator and ask him what to do?
    Just edit your profile to include your e-mail address and after he gets it re-edit your profile to eliminate it.
    Funny and weird !!! I did provide it 2X already, and somehow it disappeared each time. Must be a s/w thing... I tried editing my profile to turn my e-mail address to public, yet each time I saved the *new* setting, it remained *private* and hidden... Seems the s/w for editing profiles ain't working for me.

This is in Pat_Host's territory now... So Pat, any help on this ?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You might have to log out and back in - in which case, it may be fixed by the time you see this.

Or you could put it in the bio section. I think that will show up immediately.

If you can't get it to work, you need to go to the Contact Us tab at the Help link on the left side of the page and report it.

No, we don't have anything in place to keep people from posting their email addresses, but no one, not anyone, wants to do that. If you provide it through your profile, the spambots and other address harvesters can't get it. In your profile, only registered, logged-in users can see it.
    Are there even specific SAE rules for calculating horsepower and torque ratings for hybrids?

I don’t know the total answer to this but it seems the individual gas engine and electric motor withtin a hybrid system are SAE rated. This doesn’t tell us much because the net power applied concomitantly is what matters. I would like to know how this is calculated but obviously the transmission and electronic input have a lot to do with it. I suppose you are asking if the entire hybrid systems are SAE rated? Good question.

It seems that the way Toyota rates HSD cars is different than the way Honda rates IMA cars, etc.

Yes, some kind of standardization is needed. It is very difficult to compare hybrid system specs at this point. I think the only thing we have to go by is acceleration rates. You can’t get a feel for torque and horsepower by reading manufacturer specs for hybrids. It is a new and convoluted environment we have here.
    Ljflx, I see your point about earned vs unearned money but when it gets down to personal finances, I believe there are basically three kinds of people:

1 - Those who like to spend (generally risk takers and those who live for today)
    2 - Those who don’t like to spend (the security-conscious and frugal)
    3 - Everyone in between

There are people who are loaded but will never buy an expensive car. Conversely, there are those who are not so financially endowed but will see to it that they get the car of their dreams.

We all know that cars are not an investment, rather an expense. With cars, I think it come down to one’s personal level of enjoyment and lifestyle. Those who truly enjoy them rather than treat them like public utilities will spend, regardless of how they obtained their money.

“It’s in my nature to spend. My only problem is... I never have anything to spend.”

-Ralph
    My new 545, "the car of the future" regrettably cannot:

1. set its clock automatically for DST/ST
    2. core a apple
    My LS has yet to come up with a cure for cancer. I'm very disappointed about that, as its clearly just laziness.