Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I know, I just love to pick on them for that boneheaded comment.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Oac, I see your point but disagree with it. You are trying to pigeonhole value into one low financial level. My point is that there is value at infinite levels and it makes no difference what someone earns. Lexus is about value ESPECIALLY since you indulge above and beyond your Matrix etc. LS owners have admitted on many occasions that they would have bought the S had it been more reliable especially if it had been priced similarly to the LS. There’s the convenience aspect but that’s about value too. To the working wealthy, time is money. And to those of us who aren’t wealthy, which is most of us, every dime spent is usually accompanied by a value consideration.
    The 530 has out of grace with a lot of people. The 7 was never really in grace and yet they continue to sell well. It often confounds me but when everything is said and done the answer for me is that I would still choose a BMW as would many enthusiasts. Tolerating annoying bs is nothing new to the German car fan. It comes with the territory, always did.

As long as Merc is being feted, this thought comes to me. He is often criticized for not owning the cars he comments on. Merc is living proof that you don’t have to own a car to know about them. Think about it, none of us own most of the cars we yenta about. Also, take a look at what the professional writers drive. These guys are on working-man budgets, not “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous” budgets. I would bet Merc drives and reads about more of these cars than most of us.

But what I really appreciate is that he writes and writes, and not only in this thread. To tell you the truth, that’s why I’m here. The pen is mightier than the sword and I’m here to sharpen my pen by using a topic that I enjoy. The net has restored the previously-lost art of letterwriting, and the immediacy it affords cannot be found in any literary medium.

Now please pour me another cup of coffee.

;-)
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    I can't. I'm still trying to get the chef of the future machine that I bought from EBay to core a apple.
    Geesh!
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Good post....I'm pouring Caribou's Reindeer blend this morning. (Their premiere aged Sumatra blend...in short supply this year due in part to the Sunami) Cream, sugar, or black?

Here is a clear pic of the testing prototype 2007 LS.. http://info.detnews.com/autosinsider/sneakpeek/index.cfm?id=20928
  • "He is often criticized for not owning the cars he comments on. Merc is living proof that you don’t have to own a car to know about them."

Heck, I'd wager that most/many of the people who build MB's, BMW's and Porsche's don't own them, yet they "know" more about them than most enthusiasts. Most art critics don't own the Monet's, Picasso's, etc they write about, but that does not mean they lack knowledge about the painter and his/her style!

Most here are considerate of other's choices and even represent their points of view with grace and humor. Flamers and trolls really stand out, don't they? My guess is that many of us would like a nice large garage with several makes occupying the bays...
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    We are NOT here to talk about others whether we are admiring or criticizing. This line of conversation needs to be dropped and I'm just going to have to remove any other posts that seem to have to talk about others, positively OR negatively.

We MUST get back to the marques and the cars if we want this discussion to remain viable.

I'm sorry to be so harsh, but I don't seem to be getting through here. I've got to get your attention, so please, I would appreciate everyone's cooperation going forward.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    I assume you're kiiding with that link but just in case.

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshow/articles/107458/page009.html
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    There have been some interesting posts regarding the significance of ownership, so, I'd like to get feedback on this:

How would you describe the difference between knowing a great deal of data about one or more of the marques, and additionally having an ownership experience which gives daily exposure and interaction with the marque? Is it logical that daily interaction offers ANY advantage to understanding a vehicle, beyond all the data?
    Why don't you start off by answering that question yourself. And by the way, what do you drive?
    Is it logical that daily interaction offers ANY advantage to understanding a vehicle, beyond all the data?

Of course it does. However, you can get plenty of knowledge about these cars by analyzing the specifications, observing them and test driving them without owning them. You know, you don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. I think ownership trumps if you own all of them. Owning one car and comparing it to many really doesn't offer much of an advantage when comparing, in my opinion. How many people have become scientists without owning the lab? Probably all of them.
    Well - if you lived in a luxury home with top quality furniture, a grand back yard etc - don't you think you'd know more about that experience than someone who reads Architectual Digest. Why on earth would a car be any different.
    who knows what dangers lurk beneath ...

:surprise:
    Poltergeist?? Good thing they had a reliable car at the end. Wonder how that'd play in this day of Plasma and LCD TV's.
    YOUR POST #12078 regarding the 2007 LS on the edmunds website is great... (I asked a couple of times if anyone had good photos of the new LS.) The link from the Detroit news made it look like a different car...go figure.
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Autos, what autos?

With all the interesting autobiographies and biographies on this site I thought this was the "Owners of High End Luxury Marques Forum".

Personally I find discussing in-animate objects with wheels much more interesting!
    Woah...I like this version better Dewey ;)
    So how do you like it, JJ? You have the new RL so I trust your taste. Elaborate. Write!
    I like it a lot. I actually see some BMW in the profile and some RL in the front...and it really seems to flow. A very nice design overall that will age well. The wheels....WOW! :D

(That's as elaborate as I get :D ...you would never guess this guy was in print media advertising for 30+ years. :shades:)
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Some true "high-end" entries...

Amazing what a different rim and the right background does for a car like the Phantom.

As all the regular posters know I'm not crazy about the Maybach, but the new 57S model is what the car should have been at first, IMO.

New grille looks much better to me.

The booty that provided the inspiration for the new S-Class.

Is that a hint of the W140 S-Class I see here? Yes in the long, flat, blunt hood surface.

Try to keep it on the road!

Now, a car that I have tried to like in both Coupe and now Sedan form, but couldn't. I present to you the Bentley Continental Flying Spur, which I call the "flying brick".

Way too much [non-permissible content removed] here.

Has all the elegance of a speeding locomotive in this shot, IMO.

Ditto.

Does it look any better here? You be the judge.

M
    DUMBED DOWN VERSION OF NICHE MARKETING

A special King Kong version of a VW Tourareg?

Why was there not a Gigli version of a VW Phaeton?

King Kong Promo
    What is all the hullaballoo about quality and reliability in this forum? It appears such matters are not a top priority for most auto buyers.

The study found new and dynamic body styling can serve as a positive
    substitute for quality deficiencies in the short-term. In recent years,
    consumers have come to expect a satisfactory level of quality in most new
    vehicles. Accordingly, as quality has become less of a factor in purchase
    decisions, vehicle styling has grown in importance as a key differentiator.

According to Carrannanto, over the past five years, brands with high
    styling scores tended to be sales growth leaders. These included BMW, Lexus,
    Acura, Nissan, Volvo, Cadillac and Chrysler.

Personally my priority is neither design/styling(no offense Designman) or quality/reliability. My priority for any car is its drivetrain/chassis.

The Insignificance of Reliability
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Those wheels dont flatter the RR. It should have big chunky alloys, not thin spoke chrome. That looks like it belongs to a rapper.
    Honda Will Sell
    Acura Brand in Japan

Ninety percent of the Japanese luxury market is dominated by the Big 3 luxury marques of Germany. I do admire the Japanese for their good taste in luxury cars.

Who knows maybe North Americans will learn one day not to rely solely on Consumers Report for their car choices.

So, while Japan's car makers are feared by competitors abroad for their high-quality, fuel-efficient and comfortable cars, in their home market, they have ceded the premium segment to foreign imports -- notably German rivals BMW AG, Audi from Volkswagen AG and Mercedes-Benz from DaimlerChrysler AG. (See related article.)

Last year, industry officials say, imports accounted for 90% of Japan's market for cars that retail at $50,000 and up. Honda officials say a big reason for their move is an effort to expand Honda's presence in Japan's big urban centers like Tokyo and Osaka, where the dominance of the German car makers is most striking.

German Luxury is Number One
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    Regarding the article you linked to, we all agree that styling helps sell cars, especially when the new stlye is in its first year or two. But the article tries to make the broad claim that "over the past five years, brands with high styling scores tended to be sales growth leaders. These included BMW, Lexus,
    Acura, Nissan, Volvo, Cadillac and Chrysler."

Lexus a sales growth leader because of styling? HA HA HA HA HA! Possibly in the future, but definitely not in the past, imho.
    I dont know anybody who bought a Volvo because of its styling?
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    Actually I find the XC90 to be attractive, for an SUV.
    Relative to the other ugly SUVs, the Volvo XC90 does not look too bad.