Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• arcoatesarcoates Posts: 221
    well, I've seen pics of the new 7 at:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/9323/new7.htm

and I think it looks great. As usual, they don't do anything radical, just soften the lines and make some performance upgrades (new lights, better aerodynamics etc...) and then beat the pants off of the competition for a few years until the others can catch up. Can you tell I am biased towards BMW?

As for someone who said that the new I35 is going to be a major contender, I think not. Unless they are switching to RWD and have a new handling package, it won't be much for the 3 series, X-Type, A4 or C-Class. It will compete with the Acura Type-S, and that's all. A FWDer from Japan will never truly compete with the europeans. The IS300 is the only thing close because it has RWD, a I6 and a sport tuned suspension.~ A.R.

• stebustebu Posts: 204
    I think what was mentioned was the newly announced North American Infiniti G35, not I35. The G35 will have RWD and a 3.5L 6-cyl. It's based on the XVL concept. In Japan it will be sold as the next generation Skyline. Unfortunately, it looks like Nissan will still only have it's GT-R overseas. But, now sold as it's own model.

BTW, the base A4 is FWD with a 4-cyl, so I suppose it must not compete anywhere ;)
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Posts: 861
    At least it's got 170 hp, and not an anemic 140. And the G20 doesn't have an AWD option, the A4 does...
    I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about the new I35. As for this G35, forgive me but I have not heard anything about it until now. Is it like the Lexus IS300 for Infiniti?~ A.R.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Oh my gawd here we go again talking about probably the worst car to wear a so-called "Luxury nameplate. The G20 doesn't compete with anything higher than an Accord. The car doesn't belong in here or really anwhere else, hence the giveaway strategy to move them, which still isn't working. Lets get back to the real "Luxury" cars in the title of this thread.

M
  • the pics of the new 7 in the site you listed are quite nice and very conservative. the car is quite beautiful. however, those pics are not the current spy pics, as CandD and a website called www.whatcar.co.uk has brand new pics showing a really ugly 7 series. hopefully these are fakes or very good computer simulated pics. i hope that the site you were looking at really has the correct pics.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I too hope the pics at www.whatcar.co.uk aren't the absolute real thing, if so the new 7 isn't quite what I expected in the looks dept.

M
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Posts: 298
    The G35 is a 260HP rear drive compact sport sedan, that will eventually appear in coupe and convertable form as well. It should be a serious contender in the sport sedan field.

Oh yeah, the clock. That is just an Infiniti thing. The Q has always had it except in 97-98. It just isn't an Infiniti without the clock. That is why they have been adding it to the other models as they go along.

and its 145HP for the current G20, thank you very much.
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Posts: 206
    Those pictures on that Geocities web sites are all guesses, not pictures of an actual car, except the first one on the right side which is very dark and very disguised.

Car & Driver (not online though as far as I can tell) had actual pictures in their most recent issue, and those pictures look NOTHING like the guesses on the web site referenced here.

I actually think it's going to look great when it comes out, but quite a departure from current looks.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Everyone is welcome to share his or her opinions of the VEHICLES. Negative opinions of other Town Hall members are not appropriate here in accordance with the Terms of Use requirement for civility and respect.

Talk about the cars - not each other.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    As I mentioned in another discussion, I need you to email me: pat@edmunds.com. Please do so as soon as possible.

Pat
    Host
    Some posts which were either off-topic or did not meet the TOU requirements for civil and respectful discourse have been removed.

Pat
    Host
  • carphartcarphart Posts: 14
    Censorship is so subjective.

Postings were removed somewhat arbitrarily.
    I posted the reasons that I removed the messages that I did. If anyone has any questions or anything further to say about this, please feel free to email me.

Meanwhile, let's get this discussion back on track.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    What is wrong with those pics at that british site? It resembles the site I gave. I think it looks great from the front and side. Those backlights are a little odd, but otherwise it is a great looking car. But, those pics look airbrushed. Even though it says that those are official pictures, then why does no one else have them? That looks like another computerized version. It doesn't really have the same body proportions as the blacked out spy photos on the other site. So either BMW has scrapped that blacked out design or the pics on the british site are bogus. Even so, I think it looks very good either way~ A.R.
  • i think the front end is the same, which is fine. but the reason why you havent seen the pics on other sites is b/c they just got posted a few days ago. that's why it's a news article!!! :)
    Finally looked at the WhatCar pics - which are consistent with the images in the Road & Track issue, so I guess that's it. (I couldn't get to the pics the first time I visited because my ad filtering software cut out a lot of the site's home page functionality.)

A.R. the reason only WhatCar has 'em is probably because they were only posted yesterday.

As far as those pics not having the same body proportions as the blacked out spy photos - I'd say it's hard to compare - I didn't think the blacked out spy photo revealed too much. The other images on that GeoCities site were just wishful thinking.

No manual tranny planned A.R. - sorry.

Also, if, as it says, it's quite a bit bigger than the current 7 series, then it's definitely aimed as a highly competent luxo express and not a sports sedan. That will be left to the 5 and upcoming 6 series I presume.

Anyway, exciting car I'm sure. Looks terrific, particularly that back view.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Posts: 491
    I just think the Jag XJ8 premise has stood firm in a time when other car vendors have set a standard to allow interior space to balloon up beyond what I think I *really* need in a car. I am 6'1, and have an XJR. Personally, I like the "cozy" cabin feel. It is a great 2+2 concept, but admittedly not a big sedan despite its external dimensions. I do appreciate the other concepts, I think all (Beemer, Lex, Merc etc) have great interiors, but the open space also translates into a feeling of being less connected with the car, and detracts from the sport grand tourer experience. That's all.

Jag is seemingly about to go more mainstream and join the others with their new XJ design, and I feel the current XH (especially in XJR guise) will leave a void behind no one else is taking on. Which is why I got myself an '01 XJR. It is a dated conept, some say. To me, it's a timeless car enthusiast statement for those who make the concesion to life with 4 doors after having only had coupes...

I think all the cars mentioned in this topic are phenomenal. But I could only live with the XJ8 personally. And I am not sure I could live with the car that seems to be desitned to replace it. Probably it'd be back to coupe existence (and ideally a Bentley Continental :-)
  • pluskinpluskin Posts: 79
    What is it about X350 (XJ replacement) that you feel is going to be so much more mainstream? It seems to me that a lot of Jag traditionalists are really down about a car that they have never actually seen, sat in, or heard the actual details of.
    Of course the 7 is not going to be offered with a manual. But neither is the current design and it is still a very involving drivers car. Even with this approach, it is still one of the best. It doesn't have the best interior or the best styling, but it is still one of the best. So you can have a distinct car that is a drivers car and still be popular and sell lots of cars. I don't think that BMW is going to soften their cars for the Lexus crowd, I think they will make it just as sporty, with a better interior and nicer styling. With that, it will truly be the Ultimate Machine, let alone the Ultimate Driving Machine~ A.R.
    Preview shots of the X350 abound and at this stage are very consistent: it looks like a stretched S-Type, with the obligatory bubbly cabin to maximize headroom. Not that it ugly, and probably indeed it will sell better than the current, more individualist XJ8, but nevertheless it will bury the concept of different, somewhat endearing quirky Britishness, if you understand what I mean. Engines and all others specs sound great. But just like I, personally, would not buy an S-Type, when it comes to buying a more rational and functional sedan I'd probably look elsewhere, too. The XJ8 offers a very unique value proposition, and if you buy into it, the market offers no other alternative. It'll be somewhat sad to see the Baby Bentley concept go away.
  • badtoybadtoy Posts: 368
    Luv ya -- you really police the site, and for that I thank you. Nothing more unpleasant than people resorting to prepubescent behavior when they're talking about cars.

As for the Q45 -- everyone here knows I'm a Toyota loyalist, but I try to be honest about things (I love ALL cars anyway, and that helps), and I have to reply to the following: "The Infiniti Q45 is a wannabe something that we don't know what it wants to be. on the one hand it wants to be a BMW 740i, on the other hand it want's to be a LS430, but in the process it turns into neither and turns into cow dung. Let's see it's as ugly as a Maxima, even looks like one from the front, it's interior is downright a disaster, and even with 340bhp it only does 0-60 in 5 1/5 seconds. Nor is it's handling as great as the 740i or S430 sport even with 18" wheels & tires. And it doesn't even handle better than the barge called the LS430. The Infiniti Q45 is basically a wannabe BMW-Lexus-Benz for people who can't afford a 740, LS430, S430."

Whew! Let's review our history a minute. The original Q45 was universally praised in the automotive press for its performance and handling -- especially relative to the LS400. It's only problems were somewhat controversial styling and a dingbat advertising campaign. Bad launch = bad sales. A shame really, but that's the way it is. When the LS and Q were introduced at the Detroit Auto Show, everybody swarmed over the LS but stayed away from the Q like the flu -- this before anybody had a chance to drive it, which tells me it was primarily a styling issue (plue the interior didn't look as luxurious as the LS's).

Now, two generations later, we have thelatest version, and it sure looks like a winner to me in the performance category -- but the front end looks like an anteater (to me), and that may prove problematic once again.

Nissan (and by extension, Infiniti) has had some strange ideas about automotive styling for the last ten years, and it has hurt them more than they're willing to admit.

My prescription? Make the cars beautiful. Stop trying to be edgy or "with it" and just make them sleek and beautiful. And don't copy ANYBODY (the LS430 comes immeditately to mind).

Someone mentioned the interior -- matter of taste, of course, but every time I see their ad in the magazines I just drool. I think it's beautiful (as is the LS430's, which recently won Best Interior by the Automotive Interior Designers association).

I notice that most of the 45 baching comes from BMW and Mercedes apologists, by the way. Surprise, surprise.

Oh yeah -- someone also mentioned 5.5 seconds to 60 as being kinda wimpy. Dunno where you were in the 60s, but that's big block Chevelle territoy, dude. Check it out.
    Here's the thing with preview shots. Its just somebody at a car magazine making guesses, and producing images on their computer. How anyone got the idea that it has a "bubble" roof like the S-type is beyond me. It doesn't. And you won't mistake it for anything but an XJ.
    Jaguar is going to have to go more mainstream, there's no doubt. But I don't think it is to the effect that people are dreading. A Jaguar will always be distinctive, and now that it has money again, it will be able to afford to be distinctive. Sure, it may lose a little of it's panache, but when it flies by, everyone will still know it's a Jaguar and wish to own one~ A.R.
    The movie 'Pay it forward' features a silver S-Type in many scenes after a rich guy GIVES one to a reporter whose classic Mustang is destroyed.

Anyway, makes the S-Type look GREAT.
    "Jaguar Monthly" Magazine is pretty reliable when it comes to Jags. The pics in there do not look like fantasy artwork, but rather like the pictures of a very real car that is very well into development. At this stage before the S-Type's release, we knew how it'd look like pretty accurately, just like thew X-Type was documented well ahead of time. Given the fact the new XJ is going to be out late '02/early '03, the fact there's so little out shows that probably Jag itself dreads the idea of following up their workhorse with something that backfires. When you've had a car auch as the XJ *so* long out there, I guess there's no way you can please everybody. I am sure the new XJ will be a phenomenal car. I am just not sure whether I'll buy a bulky, truly large sedan, ever. I guess we will see.
  • ripinrocketripinrocket Posts: 157
    donfeen,

Obviously you want to hear otherwise you wouldn't be reading and responding.

It's not my fault nobody is buying the Q45, not my fault the Q45 has pathetic resale value.
    Well, let's for example take Jaguar Monthly's preview of the X-type. Basically they stuck the front of the XJ onto a smaller car. Now fundamentally, that's not that far from the truth. But obviously, in reality its not quite that simple. All I am saying is, that its fun to look ahead at what future products may look like, but I would hesitate to pass the judgement that they are going to screw up the next one, based on computer enhancements.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    Relax already.

Truth of the matter is that Q45s have had horiffic resale value. This I know. I am a dealer, I buy them at auctions. I see how cheap they sell for.

I think that things will be different with the new one, but that's only a guess.

Chill out guys..

Bill
  • I just posted very good pictures of the Next 7 Series. It's pretty impressive!

Go to my roommate's site:

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com

The scroll down to the red link to my car page.