Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• enigmaoneenigmaone Posts: 128
    the Navigation system is still optional, I believe. But the optional mark levinson stereo system is compatible with the GPS nav. system. And so is the stock stereo, which I'm assuming remains a Pioneer system.

The GPS nav. system remains mostly touch screen but I believe the stereo controls are not as much a part of the touch screen display as they are in the current LS400.

The stereo does have some controls on the steering wheel.
  • I am surprised that I did not find any discussions
    regarding Audi A8. I currently drive MB C280 and Lexus LX450. Love my Lexus and hate my MB especially during the winter. I'll be looking for a new car in couple of month and my main candidates are BMW 740il and Audi A8. Many of my friends use to drive BMW but resently switched to Audi and very happy with this car.
    Any comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • I am surprised that I did not find any discussions
    regarding Audi A8. I currently drive MB C280 and Lexus LX450. Love my Lexus and hate my MB especially during the winter. I'll be looking for a new car in couple of month and my main candidates are BMW 740il and Audi A8. Many of my friends use to drive BMW but resently switched to Audi and very happy with this car.
    Any comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    The A8 is a good car but it is overlooked because first, it's a $70K Audi! Second, because Audi doesn't really market the car! Third, Alot of people shy away from buying it because of it's all-aluminum construction which only maybe a dozen body shops around the country can fix. Forth, Audis aren't exactly known for high resale value. And when you buy a $70K car, below average resale value really hurts!

But otherwise it's a excellent car. Breakthrough technology, AWD(good if you need it), gorgeous interior, understated but elegant and tasteful exterior design, and has all the features one would expect for it's price tag!
  • rollierollie Posts: 337
    Regarding post #66:

I agree with all your points on the A8 except the price. If anybody pays $70k for an A8 they should have a hole installed in their head where a brain can be inserted. The A8s have been moving at huge discounts for most of their time on the market. I read of several people buying them for the low to mid 50s. This makes it more compelling buy but for me doesn't overcome the major issues you mentioned (particularly the aluminum construction).

-rdo
    russell.ollie@usa.net
    rollie,

I was using MSRP as a reference. Discounts vary greatly based on time of year and region of the country. So it's kind of hard to put a general and accurate number on what people actually pay for one. $70K is a approximate MSRP.
  • rollierollie Posts: 337
    Regarding post #69:

I certainly agree that it's hard to quantify discount prices due to timing but believe me, there is no point in time from here forward (at least not until a new model A8 comes out) that the A8 isn't selling at a discount from MSRP. It's a great car notwithstanding the issues you pointed out already but it simply isn't moving.

By the way, unless things have changed drastically, Edmunds lists the 2000 A8 MSRP as $62,525 with destination charge.

Thanks.

-rdo
    russell.ollie@usa.net
    rollie,

Did you forget about all the options that are available on the car?

Do you really think you are going to find even one Audi A8 4.2 Quattro on dealer lots with a sticker price of $62000 on the window?
  • Thanks a lot guys for your input.
    I am more puzzled now than I was before, but I
    have a feeling that at the end I will probably go
    with BMW 740IL. My only concern is that as soon as I get it BMW will introduce new body style, and I'll be driving an obsolete car. I hate when it happens.

Thanks again.
    It will hardly be a obsolete car. As long as you can drive it, get it fixed, get parts, etc. for it, it is not obsolete.

Besides the current 7-series is a excellent car to begin with in most respects. So why not buy one?
  • Will pick up my 2000 A8 Saturday...it is equipped with what I call the 3 basic options (alloy wheels, xenon lamps, premium comfort package--ie., heated seats)...I say basic because looking at 5 dealers' inventory I didn't find any with fewer than these 3 options. Mine also has navigation package. All told, $66805 and sold for $61347 or $2550 over invoice. This however, from the "new kid on the block" dealer in the area most anxious to build his sales volume. Everyone else wanted at least $1000 more.
    Thanks, MJC
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    This detours away from the last few post, but I it was very interesting to me. Coming home from work this morning I saw S-Type 4.0 trailing behind a 1999 or better Vanden Plas. The woman in the Vanden Plas was looking at the S-Type and she seemed to give it her approval, but then she turned around and smiled at me. You had to be there, both of these women were really "feeling" their Jaguars. The old XJ body does look a little
    dated running along the S-Type, but it's still the epitome of class. All Jaguars are.

M
  • jodys2jodys2 Posts: 9
    Thanks Merc1 for mentioning the 'J' word. I monitor this post, just hoping for such a thing.

My '2 cents', the S body style is a sad statement. The only 2 things I can give it credit for are: the moon roof/sun roof and cool TV advertisements. I couldn't get past the outside appearance to even test drive one.

Of course, I am a bit prejudiced. I have a 2000, XJ8 L, and think the body style can not be beat. Oh, concerning the Vanden Plas. That is a regal car. My Dad has a 2000 model...

Just for the record, I ordered mine first ;)
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I just noticed that you can get the 370-hp supercharged V8 in a new 2000 model called the Vanden Plas SC, anyone here have any experience with this model?

M
  • Jodys2

Please take a look at sedans conference #2946 (MB S430 Alternatives) posts #58,59,60. The conference needs some reports of jag. ownership exprience. I posted mine; however the more the better.

Merc1

I test drove the VDP S/C before purchasing a standard 2000 VDP. The power was unbelieveable, but costly and in my case not needed. My new jag is flawless so far, very happy with it. I like the S type also, they are different but compliment each other and the jag. legacy.
  • Instead of buying Jaguar XJ8 one should buy S-Type 4.0. The XJ8 is very small car for its size outside. I looked at S-Type and XJ8 and ended up buying S-Type V8 because XJ8 was too small on the inside. IT had very little headroom plus trunk was very small.

I am glad I bought S-Type V8. So far I have 10500 miles on it, and I love it. Fabulous car. So far no problems too. It handles great, drives smoothly, is almost Lexus quiet, and has tons of features. And it looks very good too.
  • Out of this list, the BMW 740i or 740il is the best car. The S430 is probably a better car but when considering how much it costs, its not that much of a better car than the BMW 740-line. None of the above cars handles as well as a 740, looks as good as a 740, or has as much character as a 740. Although the Jaguar comes close in the character department.

But all of the above cars are still excellent cars in their own ways.
  • jk40jk40 Posts: 1
    You asked about an Audi A8. I have owned 6 Jags and a 740 and read about the technology of the A8 so decided to try one. It is as fine a car as I have ever owned. The quattro is amazing in the ice and snow. I even try to see where its limit is on snow and haven't found it yet. Even on wet roads in the summer it doesn't slide in high speed turns. This is probably the feature that puts the A8 above the Jag & BMW. It has every feature that my 740 had and has a little softer ride. Features for the money - Jags fall very short of the competition for the same price. The Jag S-Type is a Ford Taurus with a nicer interior but if you ever owned a real Jag the S isn't one. Resale on the A8 is falling a little behind a 740 but I paid less for one also because the dealer was willing to discount the car off of the $70,000 msrp.
  • First of all, going back to something a few responses back, some were saying that Lexus copied MB's "430" badging. Does anyone remember the '93 MB "190 E". In 1994 MB revamped their entire badging system, using the number to represent displacement, while Lexus used this system from the start. I'm sure MB didn't do this because they were bored.(a side note-Acura also did this, but they need a V8 to really compete)

Second, I know that the '00 LS 400 has a higher bhp than BMW & MB (282-BMW 740i/740il, 275-MB S430, 290- LS 400). The '01 LS 430 will probably have a horsepower boost to lift it over the S500(302bhp). Mix that with the stetched wheelbase of 3"-4"(best guess when I compared the '00 & '01), the additional options coming next year, and the fact that Lexus probably will not raise the price more than $5000, I think that Lexus will probably win the V8 segment of this market, with MB winning the V12 for '01, as I heard they are coming out with a new V12 engine. Don't get me wrong, BMW will still have their following, catering to the people who like the "thrill of driving"
  • Mercedes has always, sorta, named their cars based on engine displacement. The 190E was the sole Mercedes model whose model name did not follow engine displacement. Otherwise, the 300E, 420SEL, 300SEL, followed, strictly, engine displacement size. Of course then Mercedes had cars like the 560SEL and 560SEC which did not have 5.6L V8s but had 5.5L V8s.

And looking back to when the last generation S-class came out in 1991, you can see that Mercedes renamed the SEL with a 4.2L V8 from 420SEL in 1990 to 400SEL in 1991, even though the 1991 retained a 4.2L V8. Not to mention when the E-class finally got a V8 motor, it was named 400E instead of 420E. Maybe Mercedes renamed their 4.2L powered cars too 400E because Lexus had the "400"! And later, of course, Mercedes dropped the SEL, E, SEC, SL, from the end of the model names and changed the designations from 400E, 420SEL, to E400, S420. Again, maybe because of Lexus they did it!

See how lame that argument is that Lexus renamed their 2001 LS400 to LS430 because Mercedes has S430 and E430?