Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Rolls-Royce Phantom:

cont....
    Maserati:

Love this shot!

Such a beautiful car this Quattroporte is. Just gorgeous.

cont...
    The Maybach 57S:

This is what the Maybach should have been from the start, but without the white leather!

cont.....
    Mercedes-Benz

S65 AMG:

SLR:

CLS55 AMG:

S550:

SL55 AMG:

M
    Jaguar:

imageimageimageimage

Aston-Martin:

imageimageimage

Ripade Concept:

imageimageimage

I'm not thrilled about AM having taken an DB9 and splicing in 2 more doors, but it did make for a lot of oohs and ahhs.

Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster:

imageimage

M
    Last but not least, Audi and BMW:

Audi:

Q7:

imageimage

The S8 with the big grille everyone hates and one regular A8:

imageimageimageimage

RS4:

S6:

imageimage

BMW:

imageimageimageimage

A few more from Mercedes-Benz:

imageimageimage

M
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Wow, that looks like a lot of work. Great job and thanks.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,677
    I never had the consumer in mind or what he thinks as he walks into a dealership when I posted that. I was simply mentioning the flexibility Lexus had in pricing because of their lower and more efficient build costs and that they would continue to use it to their advantage in pricing the car. I don't know how you even began to see it in a twisted way. We are trying to guess the unannounced price and when you do that pricing strategies and build costs are way more relevant to many people than you imply. Maybe your not being a buyer here skews your thinking.
    Being a "buyer" doesn't give any extra insight into "guessing" where Lexus will price the LS460. We all know they'll price it right below the S-Class as usual. That is Lexus' "pricing strategy".

M
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Hey Merc1-thanks for the comprehensive photos-a lot of work, for sure!

I definitely will be checking out the Q7 next time around.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    merc1,
    As you know, I don't go near as far back in this forum as some of you other posters, but I've probably posted enough by now for you to get a sense of some of my views and opinions, as I have gotten a sense of yours. Your respect and admiration for the Mercedes line particularly has been interesting to me right out of the gate. Would you mind elaborating a bit for me as to the origins of this? I'd appreciate it.
    TagMan
  • sv7887sv7887 Posts: 351
    Merc,
    First of all, thank you for your excellent write-up on the auto show. The pictures were an unexpected plus! I'm excited to hear Mercedes is offering the S320 CDI. I only hope they can make it clean enough to pass MA emissions standards. It is a crime that these cars are not allowed to be sold when oil is in short supply!

I wonder if the S320 will be decontented to some degree like the E320 CDI. I would prefer a S Class without all these fancy electronics that will likely cause trouble over the long term. I'm almost certain a MB is as mechanically sound as any other car. The complexity of some of the new car's systems is what has me worried. I wouldn't mind an S Class with a standard suspension as opposed to an Airmatic one.

While I don't like the wheel flares, the new S Class has a great presence. It looks substantial and solid. I'm not the greatest fan of the center cluster, but I like the fact all the controls are flush with the surface.

Having seen the S in person, do you think it looks better or worse than in the pictures?

Thanks again for the reviews!
    Sam
  • What you meant is perfectly clear and relevant to everyone except merc1. And you are right on target.
    What you meant is perfectly clear to me.
    The Lexus strategy will be to price the LS 460 below the S-Class.
    Why should they change a formula that admittedly has worked so well?
    You are absolutely correct. One doesn't have to own an LS to figure out what is so logical.
    The LS430 ultra was priced just below an S430 and is a SWB only car. Now we have 3 trims, a hybrid, a host of things that the car never had and 5 more very successful years and growth in status since the 2001 pricing guidelines were set. One needs to be a Lexus buyer to understand this it seems.
  • Merc1, thanks for the great photos.

I wonder though how relevant trade shows like this really are. They are hugely expensive, only a relatively small number of civilains (non-vendors, non industry types) actually attend (and many of them are just lookers), etc. The fact that a D-C exec drove a three wheeled motorcycle up some stairs last year may have caused a stir but I don't think sold a single car. I think that the manufacturers move more iron at the local or regional shows where dealer people are present.
    One needs to be a Lexus buyer to understand this it seems.

All others are ???????? :P . Gimmee a break.

It's Steelers and Seahawks. :D
    Thank you. You clearly don't have to be a buyer to understand the most basic of Lexus practices - undercutting the Germans in price. The SWB LS460 will cost less than the S450 and the LS460 will cost probably the same or a little bit more than the S450 in order to undercut the S550. The LS600h is the only wildcard. It will likely cost the same or more than S550 to undercut the S600. Or the might price the LS600h at the same level as the S550. You have to be a buyer to understand this or make a guess based on past Lexus practices? Yeah sure. The only thing in question is the actual dollar amounts and the "buyers" are just as in the dark about this as anyone else.

M
    Sure. I'm pretty embarrased to admit what my favorite luxury brand was up until Mercedes. For me it was the new for 1986 W124 E-Class. This car's engineering details - the single blade wiper, spring-suspended seats, different size rear-view mirrors etc. are what initially attracted me to the brand. Then I drove one and found out that they didn't drive anything like my favorite luxury brand at that time - the Mercedes drove world's better. That did it for me. The specific models that "did it" were the 1986 300E, 560SEL and 560SEC and then in 1988 the 300CE. Some of the best cars ever built by anyone and easily the best in their repsective segments at the time. I didn't really like the SL until the R129 or 1990. Thats the short of it.

M
    I was replying sracasm to sarcasm. Too much of an over-reaction here.
    I'm glad you all like the pics. Not much work in posting them. The hardest part is taking them with so many people around!

From the the 2007 model year onward all of Mercedes diesel cars will be legal in all states - according to all the recent press. They're just waiting on the mandatory clean diesel to be available nationwide. The S320 I was told will be a 2008 model.

Airmatic is standard on all S-Classes so no choice there, but any problems with Airmatic were solved back in 2002-2003 production. Nothing to worry about there IMO.

The S-Class looks better in person IMO than in some photos, especially in AMG trim. What gets me is that it looks better in real life photos than in the ones Mercedes initially released.

M
    Well I think of it as part treat for car enthusiasts and part exposure for new products. They know that of the 1.2 odd million people that storm the halls at Detroit, Chicago, New York or wherever aren't going to run out and buy a car next week, but it does give people and idea of what to put on their short list I think.

Detroit is the most important for the U.S. auto industry and the domestices have to make sure they dominate it if for no other reason than to save face. If they start getting lax at participating in autoshow the domestics will really, really be in deep trouble in the minds of everyone, not just industry observers.

M
    What do you think of the Aston Ripade Concept? I know you said some unforgiveable things about the Aston DB9 before...lol, but I'm curious to know what you think about them adding two doors to it?

M
    The elitist arrogance of the Lexicans is really being poured on thick.
    A shame they always get so defensive.
    The Steelers will wipe the smiles off of those Sea Hawks although this prediction is not etched in stone.
    You are absolutely correct. The reasons for the LS' enormous success in the HELM world is an extraordinary combination of reliability and extremely savvy pricing-it has been no accident that the LS was designed to look like a MB and be priced lower HELM for HELM.

Neither of these things should change with the introduction of the new LS 460.
    Add a successful re-styling to the mix and you have a real winner here, much as it pains me to say so.
    Before I was even old enough to drive, the Mercedes and Jaguars were the ones that were special to my eyes. (Very young, I had a red Jaguar XKE replica on my shelf that I thought was the world's most beautiful car!) I always thought of Cadillacs as a GM "joke" on folks that needed to "look" rich, and I will admit that back then the Lincoln Continental did catch my young eyes for some reason, but that did not last too long.

After driving age . . . I thought the Austins and the Triumph TR6 were "cool" (don't really know why, and never owned them), but the Porsche was actually the first car to truly excite me as a driver. I still love the Porsches, the Jags, and the MBs most of all. Guess I'm not that complicated.
    TagMan
    should be a GREAT game.

Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price.

Do you hear something over and over again . . . or is it just me?

TagMan
    Tagman - let me enlighten you that Merc1 has a habit of posting sarcastically over the years so I posted sarcastically back. It's too bad you got mixed up in this as I thought we had some clasy posts exchanged until now.

As for sensitivity - note that a Euro board had to be started to escape the Lexus crowd (who respected the exclusivity) but it seems it's a failure with only 30 or 40 posts a month. Take Lexus out of the equation and lux car talk loses all excitement and seems to get rather dull.
    I'm not mixed up in anything. Our posts are fine and will continue to be so, even if we don't agree on everything. I have said again very recently that the Lexus is a viable choice as a HELM and I definately agree that it does make for a better forum when it is included. No doubt about it. You good with that?
    TagMan
    Tagman - let me enlighten you that Merc1 has a habit of posting sarcastically over the years so I posted sarcastically back. It's too bad you got mixed up in this as I thought we had some clasy posts exchanged until now.

What did I say that was sarcastic? You tried to imply that one has to be a buyer to understand Lexus' ability to price or where they will price their cars. I say that isn't true at all. Where is the sarcasm?

I don't think you were being sarcastic in the least, you were serious in stating that one needs to be a Lexus buyer to understand their pricing.

M