Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    . . . there are so many ways to advertise Mercedes, we'd have to do some mining . . .

Man, you are right on the money on that one!!!

Mercedes is freakin' LEGENDARY!!! They have a WEALTH of history and a TREMENODUS image!! OH YES! . . . a LOT can be done!

TagMan
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    No, how about I didn't think enough of any of that to even get into it. Lexus December to remember is to me the winner of the most tacky award by far

I can't stand those "December To Remember" commercials, and it has nothing to do with the actual Lexus cars. You could make it Ford, Acura, Chevy, or Ferrari for all I care... I just can't stand that annoying voice with a semi-British accent. It comes across as a "snooty" voice or something. Is it just me?
    I just can't stand that annoying voice with a semi-British accent. It comes across as a "snooty" voice or something. Is it just me?

It's not just you.

It is deliberately "snooty" to suggest "successful and upscale superiority", which is in concert with the desired image for the brand.

To me, I have a different description for it and I truly have no intention of offending anyone on this, but I call it "smart-[non-permissible content removed]"! ;)

TagMan
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    It's not just you.

Okay, good.... I just want to shoot that guy every time I hear him in a Lexus commercial ("Mayk eet a Decembaa too remembaa"... Aaah!)

Remember the Inifinti commercials from probably 10 years or so ago? The ones with Jonathan Pryce talking about the "Infiniti Jeay Thiir-tee"? Yeah, it kinda hits a nerve in me the same way.... grrr... :P
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    guy does all the Lexus commercials-not only the LS, but the GS, IS and RX too.

Reminds me of a maitre d' at one of those restaurants that makes you feel really uncomfortable.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    The Lexus floating head voice doesnt bother me that much. One thing I've noticed is that I pay attention to every word that he says, even if I've seen the commercial a few times before. With all of the other HELM brands, its in one ear and out the other.
  • I would like to thank....all the little people.....

I guess you've been contemplating homicide for the past 17 years then, eh, bdr?

As Lexusguy hit on, the announcer for Lexus has also been ANOTHER marketing success, and has therefore stayed gainfully employed, and very well compensated for his services.

If Lexus didn't take care of him, he'd probably be working Benz ads as we speak!

Or maybe not! His voice is synonymous with Lexus.

I believe the company gave him a LS430 recently, I read in a article. He's like 60.

And if selling over 30k true luxury cars in December is because of a "tacky" marketing campaign, then Lincoln just isn't "tacky" enough! :surprise:

DrFill
    YES, DOC . . . his smart-[non-permissible content removed] voice IS very EFFECTIVE, there is no doubt about it.

YES, DOC . . . his smart-[non-permissible content removed] voice IS well compensated and well-deserving.

And your point IS well-taken. Presenting DrFill for the defense!!

:D

TagMan
  • Although I may make a more handsome Johnny Cochran, it's a lot easier when O.J. doesn't sit next to you!

I just passed a fairly new ES330 on the road, and noticed the design changed hardly at all in it's new redesign! Just the styling, front and rear.

The IS is more my cup of java.

DrFill
    hey, doc - glad to see your sense of humor hasn't been lost on that road you just traveled.

Y'know, I've gotta say I kinda like the IS a bit myself . . . just so long as it doesn't have to be compared to the BMW 3-series. Gosh, I'm already tired of that.

The IS350 is SERIUOSLY LACKING a 6-speed, though, IMO.

TagMan
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,683
    A Blurb on future cars says the LS460 has a 7 speed transmission and 350HP. Can't these bozos even read a press release?
    looks like they're missing a gear up in the old noggin :)
    TagMan
  • Are you serious? at 100mph, 50 yards pass by every second . . . how far ahead do your headlights go? human reaction time is 0.6 seconds, and it certainly takes more than 0.4 seconds to turn a car in a deliberate manurever fashion in order to avoid flipping a car at 100mph. At 100mph, clipping a deer's foot may well flip a car. Something is missing.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    No it isn't just you. You're right is about the cars as DrFill seems to think. Its just plain tacky advertising IMO, but everything has to do with sales as doc points out. Its a one-track issue.

M
    I'd call it just annoying, especially his voice. To wannabe sounding for me. Everyone has a blowout sale in Dec, but they clearly aren't all done in the same manner. Thankfully.

M
  • Lexus having engineers from countries in which they don't even sell/compete in, looking over their cars says wannabe to me.

Are MB and BMW sold in the US engineered by their European engineers or by American design studios alone? US is by far the most competitive market for MB and BMW; if they don't dissect the market leader in the US for analysis, what do they dissect?
  • Goes to show how hopeless it is trying to gather information by reading rags.
    MT - 7 speed and 350HP; Lexus press release 8 speed and 380HP. Are they that bad, did they intentionally try to downplay the car or do they not know what the number 8 looks like?? As well they made no mention of gas mileage or 0-60 times and played the design as more aggressive but included a line that said "while some will still find its styling a bit sterile". Don't expect Lexus to win any comparos in this auto rag. They've already shown their bias.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    The interior changed pretty dramatically though. The most interesting thing I think, is that there is A LOT less wood for '07 than there was for '02. The center stack is a 1000% improvement though. The way Lexus integrated the NAV system in the '02 car was terrible, very un-Lexuslike. It was almost as if they decided to offer NAV at the 11th hour, and shoe horned an Alpine flip-out system in the dash, and scribbled Lexus on it.
  • benzsterbenzster Posts: 152
    Long version:
    I was trapped behind 2 cars traveling side by side at 70 mph. Cars were backing up behind them. I ran up behind the driver in the RH lane to try and "persuade" him to slow down in retaliation. When he did it created a gap between the 2 cars as the LH lane driver pulled ahead. I pulled into the LH lane and passed the RH driver, then pulled into the RH lane to pass.

My wife yelled DOG! Then changed to DEER! She jumped into the RH lane and stopped facing me. I squared off for a full frontal impact. Then she turned her head to the LH lane and made one step which made her now sideways in the lane. I figured she was committed, so I swerved right just catching her rear lower leg.

Luckily there was a strong cross wind that night and I had the "sport" setting on to reduce steering correction efforts. I ended up crossing hands with most of the vehicle on the emergency lane.

Remember, I was passing in the right lane so there was a vehicle beside me on the left and behind me. Hard panic braking was out of the question.

The impact spun the deer between the car to my left and myself. I could see headlights under her in my drivers side mirror as she tried to raise up. She was now in the LH lane in front of a semi. It's lights started bouncing up and down violently as is swerved to the left.

and that........

is the rest of the story.

Good day.

She cracked the lower cowling and a bumper grill came up missing. Lucky me with 350 miles on the vehicle.
    You'll get even . . . At least in your neck of the woods you get a deer hunting season . . . usually around Thanksgiving, isn't it?

Out here in California, if we shoot Bambie, we're criminals.

:)

TagMan
  • It really makes you wonder exactly what the hell they were looking at when writing that article. Seriously, who was the proof reader, and who was the editorialist? Shouldn't they know about cars and....

Sorry, just boggles the mind a tad hey?

:confuse:

Crack babies.

One of the biggest releases of the year and they can't even get their facts straight. Why haven't they changed it yet too?

Totally unqualified to do what they are doing.
    They spent a few pages on a Maybach right before it - a car that about 200 people have bought so far - and acted like everyone had to know every fact about it. Then they closed it out by saying it was an 11/10ths S65AMG. God only knows what they are thinking - but my read of the LS460 blurb was the mis-representatin of the LS460 highlights was not an accident.
    my read of the LS460 blurb was the mis-representatin of the LS460 highlights was not an accident.

ljflx - - "your read" that Motor Trend Magazine DELIBERATELY mis-represented the LS460 highlights! . . .

is based on what evidence?

TagMan
  • Where do you confuse an 8 speed transmission for a 7 speed transmission, and then, 380 hp for 350 hp. They down sized both specs, and on top of it I cannot find any information that may have mislead the MT dudes/dudettes. No matter which way you look at it, it was extremely unprofessional. How do you circumcise the unveiling of one of the biggest stars at the auto show that much?

If Autospies got it right, don't you think MT should at least? I mean, this is laughable!

To me, one-upping the S-class transmission to 8 speeds strikes as a big deal. We aren't talking about an entry-level Kia here...

I really don't know what else to say.
    I'm a numbers guy - when I see one mistake it's an accident. When I see two in the same paragraph I throw out what I see as bogus. I wonder if they have it right on their website. If it is still uncorrected there then they are as unprofessional as it gets. However you look at it - a double mistake or deliberate - they look awful. The whole downplaying of the car leads me to believe it was deliberate. You don't miss a story on an 8 speed tranny.
    ljflx -- As I said earlier, I think the gear that was missing was the one in their noggin.

I just don't think they are very smart.

DELIBERATE? --- nah.

PATHETIC? --- Oh yeah.

STUPID? --- Oh yeah.

Do I care too much what they say? --- no way!

The main use I have for the rags is that they get to put the cars through the serious paces that we generally can't do on our test drives. It's entertainment. Other than that . . . I have little use for them.

TagMan
    Dare I say you and other Lexus fans are making way too much out of absolutely nothing. Motor Trend gains what again by trying to intentionally misrepresent the facts on the LS460? Does that make any sense?

If you look at page 107 in the March issue of Motor Trend it clearly shows a picture of the LF-SH Concept, not the production LS460. This likely means that as the March issue went to press (likely early Jan/late Dec), they for one didn't have the offical specs and they certainly didn't have the pics of the production car. The writeup clearly states "with an expected 350hp and seven speed automatic", meaning they were speculating. You'll notice none of the monthly automags have any Detroit pictures from the actual show, just writeups based on info given right before the show. In the April issue of MT you'll see pics and info right from the show floor in Detroit.

Are they still biased at the end of article when they state: "Is it possible to get even more perfect"?

The Maybach 57S has been out in Europe since late last year and all the mags have driven it already at its press introduction, unlike the LS460. The Maybach 57S isn't a new car like the LS460, it really is just and engine/interior update of an existing car, meaning there really isn't much to "know".

I can't believe you actually think MT would try to deliberately downplay any particular car when the truth of the matter is their information was speculation as the March issue likely went to press before the official info came out.

All this about they've shown their "bias" is really ridiculous IMO. Magazines speculate all the time until they get the offical info to press. You know full well they will have the correct specs next month after having been given/seen the correct info at Detroit.

I can see it now, you'll use this printing/timing issue (which is really a non-issues) as the basis of a "they're biased" excuse if the LS460 doesn't ace the inevitable comparo MT will have once they can get the LS460/750/S550/A8 together.

Just for the record their website (you know the media that can be updated with no delay) has the correct information. Their website has had this information posted since the car was introduced at the show, clearly before the magazine went to press.

M
    merc1 - dude, when you get it right . . . you get it RIGHT!

Excellent analysis of the situation.

Just when I thought you might be laying low . . . WHAM!

Thanks.

TagMan
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    Thanks for the reality check, Merc. Definitely too much hyperventilating and conspiracy theorizing was going on here.