Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• How does this special oil differ from the one that is on the market?
  • benzsterbenzster Posts: 152
    It's a "special secret" formula....if I told you I would have to seek you out and kill you. :P Hahahahahhaah
    It is actually a weight that is not on the market. :confuse: Mobil 1 5w50. We had to order it bulk thru MB parts.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    It makes the Modena look like a 924

Whoa! You've gone overboard there. ;)

Modena is truly a timeless lesson in design.

Did you drive the SLR before it was sold? Or did the dealership have understandable restrictions?

TagMan
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    ... It is actually a weight that is not on the market. :confuse: Mobil 1 5w50. ...

I think that is on the market. I believe I have seen that weight on the shelves before. Check a farm/gardening equipment store. If I recall, it was for lawn mower engines or something like that. :confuse:
    How would you feel if I drove your Testarossa before you bought it??? ;)

They roped the vehicle off in the get ready shop. $65K for a hood. We did not want it scratched. There was a strict break in period. The owner did not even rev it. MB flew in a tech to PDI the vehicle. It just about brought the shop to a stand-still. We had to purchase adapters to the lift due to the low clearance. It truly is a piece of work.
    ... It is actually a weight that is not on the market. Mobil 1 5w50. ...

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1.aspx
  • I will arm myself immediately just in case!!!
    I remember the rather lofty service back when I had just a "basic" 328GTS. It was an eye-opener. The SLR is a very "deep pocket" experience, no doubt about it.

I sure hope it went to a nice guy who will not just "afford" it, but "appreciate" it . . . if you know what I mean.
    Great guy. He gave rides to a few people. I don't know what it takes to maintain an exotic but I will say all 100 bolts on the carbon fiber underpinning must be replaced due to stress at regular intervals. The underpinning is an integral part of the structure that mates the monocoque chassis with the suspension sub frame. I had the opportunity to get a good view while it was in the air. I think this is the closest I will ever get to F1 technology.
    Replace front pads and rotors:

Brake Fluid 16.90
    Brake Pads 2035.00
    Brake Disc 26180.00

Plus labor. Oh, if it makes any difference the $26K is for (2)rotors

10k maint. service is $1100.00
    Brake Pads 2035.00
    Brake Disc 26180.00

Oh!

:surprise:

My!!

:surprise:

GOD!!!!!!!!

:surprise: :surprise: :surprise:
    What we have here, gentlemen, is a failure to mass produce. ;)

Ouch!
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Curious if you know what a new set of rotors would cost on a Carrera GT or Enzo?
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    If you have to ask.... ;)
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I believe Car and Driver said 6K back in the June 2003 issue when they tested the Enzo. I believe that was the price and issue.

M
    Ceramic should last a little longer than conventional pads and rotors..... but jeeeeesh.
    We had a SL55 come in with the rear suspension support bent and 2 rims busted. The dad let his son take the car to his ACT tests. When the boy was done he let his girlfriend drive it. The 16 year old lost control doing doughnuts in the parking lot.

So, who is more irresponsible, MB for producing a 500HP vehicle for the street or the Dad who loans it to his son?

I can't tell you how many vehicles have been run through deep water and bent rods. An engine runs on average 20k. Insurance will not cover it.
    OK, let's compare the brake disc rotors on some of the HELMs. What would one (or a pair, if that is how they are sold) cost for a new '07 S550?

BTW, on a separate note . . . my personal experience with the Mercedes cars I have owned was that they wore down the brakes and pads fairly quickly. In fact, it used to irritate me just how much brake dust would collect on the front wheels particularly. If I didn't clean them regularly, they would eventually turn dark with dust. I see a lot of Mercedes driving around with brake dust all over the front wheels.

Anyway, how much for the brake rotors? We can compare them to the BMW, Lexus and others just to see the difference. :)

TagMan
    I didn't have a price guide for that new a vehicle. The S500 06:
    (set)front pads 121.52
    (2) front discs 274.40

*s550 has 13.8 ventilated on front

Yes, they do produce dust. I would like to say that it is due to the airflow being directed outwards to cool the brakes. Soft pads = short stopping distance. I have seen the same issue on a lot of German cars. Harder later is my motto!
    Just be glad you don't have my wheels! (300TD)
  • I have also noticed the brake dust issue with MB and BMW. I have owned both these brands in the past and dealing with the brake dust is not fun. Seems as if they could fix this annoying characteristic.
    I have also noticed the brake dust issue with MB and BMW. I have owned both these brands in the past and dealing with the brake dust is not fun. Seems as if they could fix this annoying characteristic.

There are a number of new generation brake pads that incorporate ceramics to address this problem. The upside is that these pads not only eliminate dust, but they do not compromise on the performance of the pads. Here is an interesting read, and I can direct you to others if you want. Start with this one:

link title

Let me know what you think.

TagMan
    I didn't have a price guide for that new a vehicle. The S500 06:
    (set)front pads 121.52
    (2) front discs 274.40

Not that bad, IMO. We should compare those prices to the BMW, Lexus and others just to see if anything jumps out. Good work.
    TagMan
    MB gets a bad rap on service costs. I feel we are VERY reasonable.

There are those dealerships that charge to much. I priced a 60K service for a customer a while back. He asked how much the oil change was. I said "what?". He said that he paid the same price but the oil change was $45.00 (or so) and how much would a transmission service be. I told him a 60K service included an oil change and transmission service on his model. He then explained that he paid for a 60K, oil change, and transmission service at another dealership.
    I read the MB labor operation to him from the MB "book". Needless to say he was PO'd. Who the heck pays for a service and does not get an oil change? What is a 60K then?
    Who the heck pays for a service and does not get an oil change? What is a 60K then?

Even if there are dealerships that charge too much . . . if the oil and filter change is supposed to be included in the 60K service, then it's included . . . period. If the customer did not get what was paid for, regardless of the price paid, then the customer has a legitimate complaint. That service charge activity you describe sounds like it is in violation of the dealer's franchise agreement, anyway. At the very least it is ridiculous, pathetic, and GREEDY.

TagMan
    ... At the very least it is ridiculous, pathetic, and GREEDY.

You want to hear greedy? I went to my dealer a couple of years ago to inquire about having a factory nav system put in my car. The nav unit is literally plug-n-play and interfaces directly with the car's electronics. It cost $1500 for the unit. The ditz at the service counter tells me it'll be about $3K - $3.5K just to install it! :surprise: She gives me a line about them having to take the dash apart, blah, blah. I bought the unit at another dealer and installed it MYSELF. It took all of 20 minutes to install and I only had to remove just 3 pieces of dash trim to mount the GPS antenna! I wanted to go back to the dealer and slap her for trying to rip me off.

Up to $3.5K for 20 minutes work?? "Ladies of the evening" don't make that kind of coin! :mad:
    Up to $3.5K for 20 minutes work??

I think there must be regional or national customer service representatives that should get feedback on this stuff . . . or perhaps they, too, have their hands reaching into our pockets as well. I just don't know, and I think it is an outrage.

"Ladies of the evening" don't make that kind of coin!

Well . . . "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!" ;)

TagMan
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    You want to hear greedy? I went to my dealer a couple of years ago to inquire about having a factory nav system put in my car. The nav unit is literally plug-n-play and interfaces directly with the car's electronics. It cost $1500 for the unit. The ditz at the service counter tells me it'll be about $3K - $3.5K just to install it! She gives me a line about them having to take the dash apart, blah, blah. I bought the unit at another dealer and installed it MYSELF. It took all of 20 minutes to install and I only had to remove just 3 pieces of dash trim to mount the GPS antenna! I wanted to go back to the dealer and slap her for trying to rip me off.

What kind of car?
    The dealer tried to justify (hide) the ticket posting by saying the service is at a different labor rate than an oil change. He said he was saving the customer money by charging the oil change at a reduced labor rate.
    I told him ALL service should be done at the reduced labor rate.
  • There are a lot of ways to measure how much a specific brand is worth. One way is how much does a dealership sell for, exclusive of any real estate, inventory or other hard assets. In other words, just the "blue sky" or "good will".

The current issue of Automotive News, the trade weekly which should be a must read for all car nuts, says that a Lexus dealership trades hands for between 6 to 10X of net, before tax earnings. A Saturn dealership by contrast goes for between 1 and 3X earnings. The same issue has a front page article on how automotive dealer profits are at a five year low. Apparently when you have to sell the car for invoice and new laws prohibit the old time shenanigans in the F & I room, there isn't much left in profit. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    "The current issue of Automotive News, the trade weekly which should be a must read for all car nuts, says that a Lexus dealership trades hands for between 6 to 10X of net"

The normal things that drive multiples are at work here:

A. Strong parent company manufacturer that is an industry leader.
    B. Healthy industry leading profit margins combined with lots of flexibility allowed by Lexus in pricing.
    C. Strong car sales growth of the brand and industry sales leadership
    D. Secure investment with solid growth potential
    E. Scarcity - there are only 200 or so dealerships in the US
    F. First refusal rights on future dealerships that Lexus wants opened within X miles of an existing dealership.

I tried to make this additional point awhile back and it's a big item for Lexus. The fact that their dealerships are the most profitable and hence valuable around is a big advantage for Lexus. Often times lux dealerships in high population areas are owned by the same person or company. It stands to reason that you'll always lean to investments in your most valuable and prize worthy assets and right now in multi lux dealerships those are the Lexus dealerships. Would you rather invest in something that gets you a multiple of 2-5 when you sell it or something that gets you a multiple of 6-10??