Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    steve - a little heavy on the Starbucks today? ;)

Remember your doctor's orders . . . "if it hurts when you do that . . . well, don't do that!"

The S-Class trunk is too thick on top. It actually looks like it has an extra trunk lid on top of a real one hidden underneath.

One more thing, steve . . . the BOSE is all hype, with a few product exceptions. Really. If you tell me you like Porsches, I know you appreciate good performance cars, but if you tell me that Bose is the best, then you are tone deaf. :D

TagMan
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    inferior to so many other brands in producing accurate sound, they make you pay dearly for such mediocrity.
    it's great marketing: charge double what everyone else charges and people with money burning a hole in their pockets figure they are buying the best because their products are so costly.
    I auditioned their wave radio which they advertised as getting "concert hall sound from a radio." Nothing can be further from the truth. It's a mediocre product, at best.
    Like I said, if an automobile manufacturer advertises their audio is a Bose, I will just keep on walking.
    For home audio, Denon runs rings around Bose. Wish they would turn their creative genius to car audio.
  • grandaddygrandaddy Posts: 66
    The honda has 197 hp and weighs about 2600 lbs. About the same hp to weight ratio as the mercedes. Kind of embarassing to have this front driver come in ahead of all these high dollar rear drivers.
    All true, but I challenge you on one statement:

Like I said, if an automobile manufacturer advertises their audio is a Bose, I will just keep on walking.

Yes, you might do that, but previous posts of yours have suggested that you do not even care about good audio, or even good climate control . . . all you care about is the thrill of DRIVING. ;)

Anyway, you are right about BOSE . . . most of it is cleverly marketed junk.

TagMan
    hey gramps - good to hear from you. It's interesting which cars would display terrific handling capabilities on a track, but at the same token, cars that we would probably NOT want as a daily driver. Lotus also comes to mind . . . a little pocket rocket that would be a blast for a little while, but beat you up on your way to work so badly that you'd have to have a chiropractic adjustment immediately before your first business meeting of the day.

Regarding the Honda . . . just wait until the serious "tuners" and "tweakers" get a hold of the new '06 Civic Si Coupe, and turn it into one of those tricked-out rice rockets.

TagMan
  • I have a certain fondness for Bose and I admire it a lot, even though many of you consider it inferior. I cannot explain it, its just something about this american brand.

Deaf am I? May be!

But even walls have ears, so there.
  • I would not call it junk. In fact, harleys fit that description of yours "cleverly marketed ...." and sell like hot cakes.

But I would not cross swords on this one. There may be sound systems better than Bose.

And the more I explore european brands, especially luxury, the more I am convinced there is a lot of hype, but little substance.

Some like mercedes used to be the real thing, and precious few like porsche are still at the top of their game, but strictly speaking 90% of european luxury is

"cleverly marketed ....".

And again, am I high on starbucks, may be, but I wouldn't cross swords on this one too. ;)
    I won't cross swords, but I really have a strong opinion on this one. I do know a lot about music reproduction, but that certainly doesn't give me a more valid opinion then you.

Good sound is a preference, to a point . . . meaning that there are widely accepted standards as to what is considered accurate reproduction.

From the subjective side of the equation, some might like Klipsch speakers, for example, and others might still like JBL's. There is no right or wrong.

Well, except for one other thing . . . Starbucks IS the best coffee (on a large-scale basis), no matter what ANYBODY says. :P

Take care,

TagMan
    I know it sounds illogical because I don't listen to the audio much when driving, but when an auto manufacturer includes Bose as their premium audio and brags about it ( good lord!), it tells me they really didn't do their homework.
    Just creates a negative feeling.
  • Guys there is too much diversion to sound systems and we need to go back to serious car discussion.

I am itching for a Benz versus Lexus again. ;)

lets steer the discussion back to the topic.

Thanks!
    I know it sounds illogical, but when an auto manufacturer includes Bose as their premium audio, it tells me they didn't do their homework.
    And I start wondering, where else have they cut corners?

Not at all. They haven't cut other corners.

It just means that they expect the majority of consumers to react positively enough to the brand name when they see it in the dash.

Overall, BOSE has good brand recognition even if it does not truly sound as good as other choices. Also, the price that BOSE negotiates with the manufacturers is likely to be aggressive, because it perpetuates their exposure.

If audio is ultra-critical to a buyer, which often it is not, then the buyer either gets a different vehicle (doubtful, because the car is almost always more important than the audio), or the ultra critical audio buyer goes to a high-end audio shop and changes the darned thing out anyway.

Most of the time . . . it's left alone as the stock unit.

TagMan
    As long as they don't burn the beans!
    Just got back from Wailea and the Starbucks Kona that I had every morning was the best coffee I ever tasted.

Hve you ever auditioned B & W speakers? Wish they weren't so darn expensive!
    Guys there is too much diversion to sound systems and we need to go back to serious car discussion

OK, well I had introduced the "performance vs. luxury" theme recently. Some more on that or something new would be fine with me.

I am itching for a Benz versus Lexus again

But, NO THANKS on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TagMan
    When I sold my 325i to my stepson, the first thing he did was gut the HK audio system and replaced it with what sounded to me like one gigantic subwoofer.
    The ground literally shook when he played it for me.
    Noise for noise's sake ain't audio!
    I hate those rolling boom boxes
    Just got back from Wailea

Close to one of my favorite places in the world . . . Keawakapu beach. Just north towards Kihei at the border of Wailea and Kihei is a gorgeous stretch of beach that has about two dozen private homes on it.

I spent three years there . . . and I drank plenty of Kona, my all-time favorite, amongst other island beverages. ;)

TagMan
    OK, steve, here's a tiny bit of gasoline for your fire.

Notice that of ALL the suggestions that were made regarding a vehicle that best combined luxury and performance, there was not ONE Lexus mentioned!!!!!

TagMan
    This is just a temporary lull.
    it's inevitable that the opposing forces will be locking horns again soon.

Saw a new Camry the other day. That butt makes the 5 series' look like a Michelangelo.
    Man was that ugly!
    Really hope the new LS looks a lot better than that!
    I know the area. Spent a lot of time at the Safeway in Kihei.
    Attempted to take the road to Hana with a Subaru Impreza. Talk about twisties!
    But the wife couldn't take the driving with all the curves and elevation changes so we only went half-way.
    Next time, I'll do it myself.
    But the wife couldn't take the driving with all the curves and elevation changes so we only went half-way.

Somehow, I'll bet that your driving style had a little something to do with it ;)

One of the very best places on the planet to learn to surf, other than "Cowells" in Santa Cruz, California, is at "The Cove" in Maui. I also know some of the best places to eat there. I'll be there next spring for a couple of weeks.

TagMan
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    the B&O system in the new A8/S8. For 7 grand it outta be bangin my osticles
  • Just too much gasoline!

I am not surprised, Lexus needs to put performance in LS or they are doomed.

They need to stop undercutting prices and get those increasing recalls of Toyota/lexus under control. It is really starting to worry me, seriously.

GM has now a good chance to keep that title of No.1 for many more years. Well done GM!
  • Yeah I was taking my in-laws to white mountains the other day all the way from Jersey and they complained how it almost bought their food up on those twists and elevations.

I seriously recommend you not to do that again. ;)
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Did my eyes deceive me or was the top time turned in by a Honda Civic Type R? Is this a front wheel drive car?

Not sure I'll have to look at it again. Yes, all Civics are FWD cars but that is one (hot) version we don't get here.

M
    Aren't many new cars already designed in accordance with the regs?

Not yet, only those that went on sale in 2005 onwards that are totally new vehicles like the S-Class, LS460, S80 etc. etc. It was said that Mercedes rushed the CLS to production in 2004 so it wouldn't have to comply with the new regs. Just watch, from now on every new car that will be sold in Europe will have some type of thick hood or a pop-up system for the hood like the new Jaguar XK.

I personally think that they're addressing the problem in a bass-ackwards manner. They can make a car even softer but if you get hit at the right speed you'll fly up and over it or you'll get trapped under it. I just don't see why they don't address the places where people and cars meet and make those places safer instead of making car companies design cars out of putty.

Yeah the slab sides like on the new Lexus IS, VW Jetta are also the result of side impact regs too both here and Europe. It really takes a good stylist to pull it off and so far very few have been able to do it without the resulting slab-o-side look.

M
    The Sport GT Quattroporte would be a much fairer fight vs the CLS.

True, I've seen the Quattroporte Sport GT called the best handling sedan in the world by a few of the British magazines.

M
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    Does any know what happened to the Bose auto suspension system that was being touted as "the next big thing" a while back? They demonstrated it installed in an LS, which led to speculation that Lexus was going to introduce it.

Also, some time ago we had a Bose car audio engineer posting here, and he made it very clear that the home stereo division was totally separate from the car division (he clearly wanted to separate himself from the admittedly inferior home stereo products). He also confirmed that the car company set the price parameters and then Bose did the best that could be done within that budget.
    BTW, what's the word on the next CLK (yes, K, no typo) AMG that will be released?

The CLK63 is supposed to be here in July/August. What a convertible it will be with 475hp!

Do you post on that site?

No, not on that one just MBWorld.org and Germancarzone.

I like Jaguars also to a degree and it almost seem blasphemous to throw an XJ of any kind around like that.

M
    The CLK63 is supposed to be here in July/August. What a convertible it will be with 475hp!

Any news/rumors of a retractable hardtop on the CLK? I, personally think it would be a terrific feature for the line.

TagMan