Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Okay. Everybody.

On the count of 3:

Steve. What are you talking about?????
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441

All the reviews of the new Camry I have seen are positive about the car's improved handling.
    Therefore, I don't believe it a stretch to predict the new LS will see improvement there too. Not a major deal but a significant step in the right direction.
    I will find out for myself this Fall.
    My 545 should get me through the door.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Designman and especially Tagman, thanks for the compliments! :blush:

hpowders - I'm literally in shock everytime I see this new Camry in SE trim, it really has a some swank to it. Dare I say that if I had a few HELM cars and wanted a relatively inexpensive and non-standout type of daily driver the Camry would make the short list with the new Passat. That is a very, very high compliment from me.

Steve - Have you ever written Lexus about your ideas? Seriously they will listen. I've written Mercedes many times over the last 15 years or so and I've almost always gotten a personal response, not just a form letter. Also, there is a S600 CDI (diesel) in the works for 2008 according to the initial buzz surrounding the new S-Class.

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    All the reviews of the new Camry I have seen are positive about the car's improved handling.
    Therefore, I don't believe it a stretch to predict the new LS will see improvement there too. Not a major deal but a significant step in the right direction.

Agree. Some reviewers have even called new Toyotas such as the V6 Rav4 "fun".
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    1. Funny how everyone who believes Lexus should jump up the price of the '07 LS never bought one before, and the people who actually have bought one (or more) believe slow and steady increases are the way to go. As someone who bought a nicely equipped '05 LS (list $62,730) for about $57,000 cash, I am not interested in seeing a big jump, but would potentially tolerate a moderate increase. I imagine that Lexus would be more interested in the real world reaction of actual potential repeat-buyers whose business they don't want to lose, than in the musings of armchair theorists who want to talk about higher price=higher prestige, etc.

2. What is the price of a reasonably well-equipped 750iL or A8L versus the prices Len is predicting for a similarly equipped 460L? Is it really that much different? Or is this debate much ado about nothing?
    Likely much ado about nothing if the prices LJ gave hold up. There is no reason to think they won't as they seem logical to me for a car as upgraded as the LS460 is compared to the LS430.

I think LS460L prices will likely match the A8L and come very close to the 750Li.

M
    I realize this is heresy around here, but the reviews of the 2007 Camry SE 6 have been so positive, I plan on driving one also.

C&D, in a review of the SE 6, voiced the usual complaint it has with T/L, that the electronic nannies can't be turned off, but admitted that most folks wouldn't be tossing the car around like they do anyway.

If only the new LS was offered in a SERIOUS SE package!
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    "Likely much ado about nothing if the prices LJ gave hold up. There is no reason to think they won't as they seem logical to me for a car as upgraded as the LS460 is compared to the LS430.

I think LS460L prices will likely match the A8L and come very close to the 750Li"

Well that's the joke here Merc. Steve modified his argument at some point from the LS being priced at S levels to now being priced at A8 and 750LI levels. The initial and only real argument here was about the former and never the latter. The prices I was quoted have shown that the latter is where the car will be pegged. So Steve's rants are there simply for the point of ranting. We've shown agreement on price here - for a long time now - and he doesn't even seem to realize it. One can never go purely by MSRP anyway as one mfr. may have items standard that others have as options. But Steve doesn't ever take this into consideration.

IDOL - what's your take? Who really becomes the biggest star? All 5 finalists can be stars and I personally thought Taylor was the weakest of the 5. He won on his (Seinfeld's) Elaine-like dancing and personality. My bet is Chris gets into a band and that Paris, Katherine and Elliot outshine Taylor long-term.
    Lisa Tucker had more charisma and personality than any of them, IMO.
    lj - meeting over . . . made some significant changes for now . . . here's the skinny . . . 40% US equities, 15% International equities, 25% fixed instruments, 20% pure sideline-ready cash.

If market drops significantly, I'll be BUYING equities, not selling.

Keeping both eyes on the Fed, and interestingly, one eye on the bird flu situation.

Looking at Wal-Mart again. Microsoft remains a long-term hold.

How 'bout you?

TagMan
    Lay and Skilling guilty on combined 24 counts.
    Hope they get the max. for each count.
    My only regret is that these guys aren't 25 years younger.
    Send 'em to Colorado with Moussari.
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Posts: 2,285
    Hi guys! I have not been visiting this forum very much at all until the past several days. I see now that this is where the action is (Wow!).

Steve, you state on your post from yesterday that "Brazil has has destroyed its ecological balance by switching to ethanol and large scale sugar cane farming. I just saw a documentary on PBS on how Brazil destroyed the Amazon."

You are implying here that the Amazon has been getting destroyed due to sugar cane farming. That is not correct. The Amazon destruction has zero to do with sugar cane farming. Sugar cane is grown is Sao Paulo State and also to the north of Bahia State near the Coast. These areas are far from the Amazon. The Amazon has been getting eroded in order to make more room for soybean farming and not sugar cane.

Also, you state that we will need to clear more land here in the U.S. to increase corn acreage astronomically in order to make all the ethanol that we would need from corn. There is one problem with this statement. Who says that 10-15 years from now our ethanol will be coming from corn? We can make ethanol out of a lot of other products: switch grass, wood pulp, sugar cane, etc., etc.
    Tagman - I'm about 50% on US equitis amd about 10% int'l. and about 15% cash. We're very similar. Microsoft is also a LT hold for me. I'm not in Walmart but I like it.

Idol - Lisa was also one of my favorites and she has plenty of potential. Loved Mandisa as well and will be interested to see if she gets some traction. I hope both do well. In summary I thought this years talent pool (top 7 or so) was deeper and more evenly matched than last years group but no one in this years group could touch last years top 2.
    Tagman - I'm about 50% on US equitis amd about 10% int'l. and about 15% cash. We're very similar. Microsoft is also a LT hold for me. I'm not in Walmart but I like it.

I am not surprised at the similarity. Just goes to show that our business perspectives continue to be on the same page.

BTW, where's the rest of the 25%?

TagMan
    Fixed rate securities/bonds.
  • lopzlopz Posts: 22
    Many of you in this forum seem very knowledgeable about HELMs, and as a 745Li owner I'd sure like to learn more. Yet most of the topic revolves around pricing. There are news out of the upcoming Z6, yet not a single comment on it. How about it?
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    Tag: I wholly agree with the notion of integral diesel-hybrid technology, now with the proven reliablilty of new gen hybrid powertrains.

Steve: Audi has reportedly "scrapped" the V-12 for the A8(at least for our market) diesel idea in lieu of fortifing the ubiquitous 5.0L V-10 TDI with the low-sulfur/no particulate exhaust system similar to the marvelous MB Bluetec. It will reportedly one up the current offering with 400-hp(vs.310) and over 600lb-ft(vs.553) of torque powering through a new 8-speed autobox good for handling 750lb-ft of torque while being 29 pounds "lighter" than the 6-speed it replaces. A8 Sport models for '09 will have a DSG tranny, as well as the '10/'11 AMG-chasin' S8 with over 600-hp.

The diesel version of the A8 has tested above 30mpg, given it's incredible power, that's a huge accomplishment.

Merc: I read in Autocar last week that Mercedes is fiddling with the possibility of a S600 diesel. I wonder if this is the surprise that they've promised since it's release? DCX has reportedly given the green light to Chrysler to let their end of the business use the Bluetec 3.2L CDI. Good news indeed.

BTW: If MB holds on to their promise, there will be 7 variants of the S to choose from: S550, S600, S63, S65. Suspected future models for our side of the pond: S450, S(some kind of diesel), and a possible S350 towards the end fo the model cycle.
    BTW: If MB holds on to their promise, there will be 7 variants of the S to choose from: S550, S600, S63, S65. Suspected future models for our side of the pond: S450, S(some kind of diesel), and a possible S350 towards the end fo the model cycle.

I am suspicious that the latter three could end up being two . . . one diesel and one smaller gas ICE with their new stratified gas injection. Whatcha think?

TagMan
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    I can expect the S450 to make it's way in for '08/'09, with the diesel models coming in this timeframe also. The V-6 S350 seems out of place in MB's recent push forward to once again be the driving force in the luxury biz. That's possibly the reason behind the one-year only S350 for '06.

MB is committed to converting all of it's gas engines to direct injection. BMW isn't far behind and Audi has been doing this for quite sometime. Toyota has also jumped in with the upcoming LS460.

One still has to wonder: What's going on in Munich? BMW is being very tight-lipped about the next gen 7-Series save for the fact that they've promised it'll be the sportiest and most comfortable in it's class, no huge departure for them. But this time they took shots. They personally called out Maseratti in saying that the Q-P will have room to worry. They also promise class-leading engine power and interior room in the iL models. There are some reports out in Germany that the V-8 will grow to 5.0L and put out over 400-hp and the second-gen i-Drive will be much improved over the current monster. And also the styling is said to become more classic BMW with those conservative lines that we German car lovers loved at one point. We'll see.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Some very interesting choices, and of course the incomparable Clarkson wit.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,27909,00.html
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Tagman, I think to really understand your position and risk exposure you have to slice it a bit finer. Not just say 15% intl equities but, say, 10% European and 5% emerging. Same thing with bonds. (Incidentally, the emerging market bond funds have done very, very well.) Clearly the old rules of taking your age and subtracting from 100 to get your equity allocation vs. bonds has changed. Dramatically.
    Tagman, I think to really understand your position and risk exposure you have to slice it a bit finer.

If you are that interested, one third of my international equities is strictly divided equally between Japan, Russia, India, China and yes, emerging. The other two thirds I allow to vary.

The fixed instruments I mentioned are primarily bonds that I've selected over the years, and represent 25% of the entire portfolio as I mentioned in the original post.

Up until today I was 60% US equities, and did very well. That is one of the changes I made today, reducing them to 40% and placing 20% of my portfolio into ready cash.

Also, FYI, my international was 10% prior to today, and is now 15% of my entire portfolio, broken down as indicated above.

Is that what you had in mind?

TagMan
  • stevekilburnstevekilburn Posts: 359
    I meant 17 million new vehicle sales every year.
    I am thinking about it, may be a letter to Okuda and one to Press.
    Pricing debate is just the starting point. Eventually this discussion is about globalization of Lexus and its future evolution into a "premium HELM"
    Can you point even one post where I said LS should be priced head-to-head with S550. This is an outrage and I condemn it in strongest possible terms. :mad:

When you look at the general atmosphere you have to go by MSRP and not any whims. Of course the final transaction will vary but thats not the point. The point is LS competing head-to-head on pricing with A8/7.
    Well then why is Audi using diesel V12 for sebring and Le Mans? Is it not going to be migrated to Audi A8 in future? Am I missing something.

I have been rooting for diesel hybrids ever since I joined Edmunds. Diesel-hybrids is the long term (20-30 yrs) solution.
    Thanks for corrections, but whether its pulp, switch grass or sugarcane, the land use will be immense and its going to create HAVOC.

Diesel-hybrids with 100 mpg is the way to go, and cafe standards should be raised to at least 50 mpg for cars and 48 mpg for trucks in the next 5 years in a gradual manner. Diesel and gas should be raised to 10$/gallon to protect America's future and to boost the economy, environment and living standards.

Only Ferrari, which is Jesus' car of choice should be exempt. ;)
    I agree. Lexus is likely going to come within a bumper of doing what he is now saying they should do, especially the LS460L and A8L. Slow and careful growth is the Lexus/Toyota way and it has worked brilliantly much to the dismay of the nearly the entire auto industry so there is no need to go radical with pricing. Long money vs. short.

I'm still reeling over the winner, not really Idol material IMO. I would have picket Katherine. What I really don't like is that the word was out that morning about Taylor winning, they cheapened the whole thing by basically letting the cat out of the bag. To me he didn't even look surprised. His reaction looked staged.

I think someone will likely pick up Paris, Chris, Ace, Elliot and Katherine all to varying degrees of course. When Clive Davis was talking about who sold what I was surprised that last year's winner actually sold anything. She really wasn't that good, at least not then. The finale show was the best episode since the initial trial episodes. Toni Braxton and Elliot didn't make a good team though. He over sang her by a mile because of her sultry style. I agree the others will likely outshine Taylor over the long term. He is just too goofy for me to take seriously most of the time and he looks 10-15 years older than he really is, so he likely won't be marketed to the kids. Last, but not least I hope Paula gets some help during the off season.

M