Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• badtoybadtoy Posts: 368
    I just did!

I've also called it "pleasant," which is about as far as I can go with the current generation. It's a logical continuation of the previous generation, but enough is enough already. Time for a change.

The new C is a quantum leap over the previous gen, which I considered a cardboard box.

Audi usually wins the styling kudos in the auto mags, by the way -- not that I give a tinker's you-know-what about what they say (except when they agree with me, of course).
  • arcoatesarcoates Posts: 221
    You're ignorance makes yourself look bad, not me and my "bogus" claims.~ A.R.
    Went back over the last ten posts and didn't see where anyone called you "bogus"....

(Oh yeah -- the possesive is spelled "your")
    My "bogus" comment was meant as sarcasm. And I am sorry that I made a slip up with my spelling you're/your. I didn't we were now attacking spelling and grammar!~ A.R.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    that since we are discussing perceptions of a particular vehicle, we could all recognize that perceptions will vary from person to person - that doesn't make any of us wrong, it just makes us the different folks that we are.

It also seems to me that we need to get back to sharing our opinions of the vehicles and withholding our critical commentary of other posters.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    badtoy, I apologize for calling you ignorant. BMW is my favourite brand, and when someone says something as controversial as that, with no proof (as far as mags go), then I get a little hot. Hopefully no harm done~ A.R.
  • fennfenn Posts: 197
    ...a bit of spirited discussion can be fun, however, isn't this discussion group suppossed to be about high end sedans, (not C class vs. BMW 3 series) I am also wondering if the new Q45 can at least get enough respect to be added to the topic title....?
    I was just going to pose that question. I have before me the new issue of R&T where they pitted the LS430 against the Q45 and the Q came out on top. That proves it there that the Q has come back with a vengeance and has caught the attention from the auto community. I love it, and I usually detest the young upstarts from Japan. It has a great exterior, a very sumptious interior and the driving dynamics to put the LS and maybe even the S-Class to shame. What do others think?~ A.R.
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Posts: 206
    The Q will win the reviews, and the LS will take almost all the sales. Go figure.

The reason of course is that the Q is (again) being promoted as a hot rod (see their ads), and the LS buyer isn't very interested in performance and handling - what they're really buying in an LS is what a Cadillac SHOULD be (hey, that's a take off on the Lincoln phrase, isn't it?) - a silent, rock solid, reliable, quite powerful, and luxurious large car that doesn't cost as much as a Mercedes.
  • ripinrocketripinrocket Posts: 157
    Well, the most recent Motor Trend did a comparo of the Audi A8L, Seville STS, Jaguar XJ8 VP, Lexus LS430, Infiniti Q45, & Mercedes-Benz S-class. The Benz came out on top, and the lexus a second, I would conclude. They liked the Q45, but basically said it had some major flaws.
    Infiniti actually took on a much more dangerous rival in BMW than Lexus did with Mercedes when they were first introduced -- and they're doing the same today. They hope, I imagine, that they will syphon off some LS430 buyers -- but that's tough too, given the level of performance in the new LS.

I think the new Q interior is really atractive -- but once again, the LS interior has just won a designers award for best new car interior, and eveyone seems to love it.

I'd say they have their work cut out for them. I do hope they make their mark, though, because more choices for all of us is always a good thing.

ar: thanks for the apology. Matter forgotten. =O)
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well after looking at it again the newest issue of MT I'm sold that the car is terminally ugly. That small picture on page 67 (bottom right) shows just unbalanced the car is, ugly mudflaps and all. What a styling mess. The Benz, Audi, Jaguar and Cadillac take the styling here, quite easily. The Q's interior is just the oposite, simply georgous. I don't like how only the front section of the steering wheel is wood, whereas the others are wood all the way around, but that's minor of course. My official verdict on the Q: If you can stand the looks of it, buy it". Another question, where are the 340hp hiding at? I've been waiting on someone to actually test the Jaguar Vanden Plas SC, what a car, XJR performance with the long-wheelbase luxury. Perfect for Jaguar devotees. All the A8 lineup needs now is the W12 motor that is available in Europe. Cadillac did especially good considering it's price and fwd handicap, it posted the best slalom speed, with the least finesse...exactly the point a many have tried to make to the Cadillac fans for the last 2 years. The S430 did good considering it's low hp in this group, and the Lexus performed as expected...the silent/strong type. BMW was suspicious by it's absence. Ah, but at the end of it all it's either the Lexus or the Benz....Mercedes does it again, by the narrowest or margins. However I can see the Lexus being the car of choice for some considering it's feature content per dollar, against the S. Now if I can just actually shop at this level....

M
    "Now if I can just actually shop at this level...."

I hear ya. I wish that too.
    There is a difference between dreaming and reality, especially if you really are in a position to shop for such luxury class cars. I am not just wishing and dreaming about these cars, so price and value does make a big difference........ If I was still a dreamer, I would go with the Mercedes, but since I am a real buyer I will take the value and content of the new Q45.
    I guess not alot of dreamers, and alot of real shoppers since the S-class handily clobbers the Q45 in sales.
    Meanwhile, the price difference between the S class and the Q45 would probably equal the cost of your Honda.
    Little touchy? aren't we?
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Posts: 206
    When the new S-Class came out, I was initially very impressed by the new sleek bodywork and low stance, compared to the 'huge' previous S-class. It's certainly a graceful looking car.

However, now I am beginning to consider it a liability somewhat, because of, believe it or not, the popularity of SUVs. It's hard to believe that the Lincoln Navigator has achieved quite a 'social status' considering it's a Ford truck with and tons of leather without an exposed bed. Why is this? I think it's because people really like the high seating area, the high roof, and the imposing presence of the vehicle, and of course its towing capacity if you have a boat or horse trailer (both also status symbols).

I mention this because some have said the LS430 is too tall, but I think Lexus realized that people LIKE having lots of head room (an ongoing complaint about Japanese cars), and like not having to struggle to get in and out of a vehicle.

What do you think? Does Mercedes have a beautiful design that is in some ways less functional?
    NOt really, considering the S-class sedans have about as much headroom as the LS430.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Of course not. Mercedes' designs have always and still are functional first. It is said that Mercedes always built their cars to allow you to keep your hat on while seated. This was easily true of the previous cars, I'd have to test the theory our with the new C and S cars.

M