Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• bdr:

I don't know how often it needs to be said but this thread is all about the S Class the 7series and the LS...as well as some other luxury top dogs like Jag...Audi A-8 ..and even the acura....

We should not be talking about the A or C or even the E class Mercedes the 5 or 3 BMW or the IS, ES, from lexus....Yes the Mercedes SL and other High end Luxury Marques are often thrown into the mix....

But this lease discussion should concentrate on Similar Marques Like the S..LS...7 series...Top Jag...A-8 ..........to make any sense at all.
  • Dewey:

You mistake Undeniable truth for being less then Modest...
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    BMW CEO takes a look at LF-S in Tokyo AS. Here's a quote:

The LF-Sh is more muscular in appearance than the old LS, and there's no question Toyota intended to make it less derivative, less dependent on styling themes pioneered in Europe. But Panke couldn't help but notice the Japanese car's distinct "Bangle butt," the high rear deck lid first used on BMW's controversial 7-Series.

I think, in their heart of hearts, L- finesse designers are secret admirers of Bangle and his butt.
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Something you may not know...U.S. citizens cannot buy New Luxury cars that are not made in Canada ...from Canada.

Taking into concideration the difference in our exchange rates....A New Lexus or Mercedes is quite a bit cheaper in Canada then in the US...

Pardon me but I really dont know what you mean?

I was not using Canadian prices in any of my past posts although I did mention that in Canada we lack some important car pricing info(TVM and Dealer invoice pricing.
  • Last time I heard Gates drives a Black on Black 01 LS430 Ultra.
  • Dewey:

I mean nothing more then you guys in Canada get Real Deals on Mercedes and Lexus...Much better Prices on new Luxury cars then we get here...I tried to buy one up there a few years ago..

If your dealers could sell to U.S. citizens we would flock up there to buy.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    Gates also has a Ford Explorer. I'm sure he has about 50 other cars, housed in 50 garages in his $150 million estate.

Warren Buffett drives an old pick-up truck and his house is valued at $800,000. No idea what that guy does with his money.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    A lot of VERY rich people drive very pedestrian cars. I've met Louis Appel, head of what used to be Susquehanna Comm. on a few occasions when our companies did business together. The guy drives a Ford Taurus. Not even a newer one.
  • Dewey,

I agree with you, these are some of the most exotic cars ever (Lamborghini Diablo is my all time dream car), but the problem with these makes is that they're extremely unreliable and don't make too much money, that's why Ferrari was acquired by Fiat in the 70's, Rolls Royce was taken by BMW a few years ago, Bentely taken by Volkswagen a few years ago, Lamborghini, who sold his company in the early 70s, switched several hands, and finally landed with Audi/Volkswagen.

All these companies are finally turning profit, after they have vastly improved their reliability... Acura NSX actually changed the landscape. If it wasn't for Ferrari, people still think unreliaiblity is part of the package.
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    Many wealthy people who are not car buffs do not want to tie up with the extra expense---insurance, and vandalism---or to even think of transportation until they need it.. Most of those people live in a fairly large city, so dings, scrapes are a common occurence, so for them it is a no brainer...Further they are secure in their own well being so it doesn`t matter.....Now those that are car buffs do indulge themselves with the luxury brands and do care about the scrapes etc..The big shots I have known over in Europe are provided a car and chauffeur as part of their compensation package, which was very modest in scale with American pay....Tony
  • Taking into concideration the difference in our exchange rates....A New Lexus or Mercedes is quite a bit cheaper in Canada then in the US...

LOL, 10 years ago maybe.
    Right now, luxury cars are SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive in Canada because of the rising looney and the hot economy in Canada.

---- from a Canadian actually bothered to check out the facts
  • Ferrari
    Bentley
    Mercedes Benz/Maybach
    Rolls Royce
    Lambroughini

Are any of the above vehicles renowned for RELIABILTY?? I dont think so!
    In fact we all know that they are renowned for their UNRELIABILITY!

1) People drive these on holidays, so it will be fine if a wait at the shop is needed.

2) However, if you need to meet Bill Gates to talk about business development, you better drive something more reliable.

3) Does it occur to you all these unreliable marques, except Ferrari, are actually dead? (Is Ferrari owned by Fiat now? Correct me.) They were forced to bankrupt and sold to other companies. Eventually, the new parent companies are going dump these money drain once again.
  • Killer:

I am an American who was actually up there trying to buy a car....and it was not even 5 years ago. It also has nothing to do with your economy...It has to do with taraffs and import fees which are much lower up there....In essence you are a free trade zone with Japan and Europe..
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    But I'm sure he's looking at price vs. some prior purchase. Different perspective, different result.
  • I agree the butt does kind of resemble the 7 series, however, the car itself overall has its own style, looks pretty hot to me if you ask me.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Well, Lexus may not be on the "most wanted" list - but I wonder which CEOs they surveyed.

If it's attorneys - they would choose BMW.
    If it's bankers - they would choose Lexus.
    If it's Real Estate or Title Company Execs, they would choose Mercedes.
    Rappers would choose Range Rovers.
    Tony Soprano would get the Escalade.

I'd love to know who they surveyed, because if they were all from California - they would all be driving a 7-Series.......
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    The real Tony Soprano drives a Landcruiser - in black. I've seen him and it firsthand.
  • It's funny, I don't even drive a Lexus, I am actually a very proud Jag owner. I have a lot of respect for Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, Jag, Lexus (and a lot of other makes) because they all provide distinct styles, and have all created very attractive automobiles. I find myself defending Lexus because a few people don't want to recognize Lexus as one of the powerhouses when in reality they're. I myself don't really want to drive a Lexus because it's too common, and that's the reason I would not rush out and get a Mercedes or BMW... hence I bought a Jag (really like the Audi too) for its distinct and attractive styling. However, it does not make MBZ, BMW or Lexus any less prestigious in my mind just because I like Jaguar more.

I think people have to remember that most big companies, regardless of industry, have had a humble beginning. Before Lamborghini started making ultra exotic cars, they were making tractors! Diamler-Chrysler's Mercedes-Benz passenger car division lost a whopping $2bb in the first half of 2005, if it wasn't for its commercial vehicle division, which makes garbage trucks, buses, commercial vehicles, there probably would have been a reorganization (I do want to add, Mercedes-Benz posted a much more impressive result for the 3rd quarter). Even though Toyota was making small economic cars, doesn't mean they can't make luxury cars, especially when they're made better in a lot of people's minds.

I have to say, the new IS and the new LS look very hot, I am not planning to jump boat, but it's tempting.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Hey, gs - I'm a big Jag fan as well, love 'em, every inch of 'em. The only reason I went Lexus this time, was the Jag was too hard for me to get out of, being so low to the ground. Once inside, it's a heckofalot more comfortable than the flat Lexus seats, (my biggest complaint) - but my left knee will not let me easily out and up. The Lexus is very easy to exit for me. That's the biggest selling point.

No question, the Jag will turn a ton more heads.....
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I've been a Jag fan since I first laid eyes on the XK120. It is, in my humble opinion, still one of the most gorgeous cars of all time. When I was finally able to afford a luxury GT convertible as a weekend car, I bought a Jaguar XJ-S. Terrible ergonomics and the wind noise at speed with the top down was unbearable (it is a '75 design), but those seats, the wood, the stitching, and the roar from the big 6, that made all of the XJ-S's flaws (and there were many) easy to overlook. Plus, the competition was basically a Benz SL, and while the last gen was nice, and could easily run circles around the XJ-S in terms of handling, I found it a very plain looking car.

While Jaguar has pretty much shed all of the problems of its pre-Ford days, it's lost a lot of what made the cars so special, and I think that has a lot to do with Jaguars failures of late. As an owner of two JSes and two XKs, I can definitely say that their interiors are not nearly as good as they used to be. In the JS, you could close your eyes and fool yourself into thinking you were sitting in a Corniche. Close your eyes and touch a some of the surfaces in the current XJ sedan, and you'll think you're in a Kia. I really hope that the interior of the '07 XK feels as good in person as it looks in pictures.