Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• Dewey:

It tells me your dad was wise enough to see what was coming

God Bless him
  • Panasonic has raise it's head as a digital camera market in the under $800 dollar market...their top Camera the FZ30 is an exceptional camera ...check it out.

I am guessing in the next 5 years they will muscle their way up to the top 3 Japanese camera companies.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    I love my Nikon D70.
  • docnukemdocnukem Posts: 485
    Don't get me started on cameras...I spend as much time on digital photo sites as I do auto sites.

BTW, I love my wife's D70 also. If I had to pick (and had the lenses to begin with), I would go for the Canon 20D. Both are fabulous.

Oh yeah, cars...neither the D70 or 20D can corner very well, though.
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    If you're going to say something negative pick something that is logical and makes sense.

I stated a fact. What is negative about the fact that Lexus is #1 in luxury vehicles in the USA but not in cars. What is so senseless and illogical in stating that fact!
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    I'm also a D70 owner. Check dpreview.com for news on the D200 and 18-200 VR announced a few days ago.
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    I have predicted before that the Koreans will eventually be a force in luxury cars, and that 10 years from now some of the guys on this board will be defending Lexus against an onslaught of a new generation of Korean luxury car fans.

Looks like the new Hyundai is already being compared to the Toyota Avalon, and even the Lexus ES330! Can the "Ultimate Driving Experience" be next?

Hyundai Embraces Luxury
  • docnukemdocnukem Posts: 485
    Dpreview is my favorite site for product info. Luminous Landscape is my choice for techniques and tricks. I need to find the price for the new Nikon lens (18-200 VR)--bet it's steep. It may be a perfect choice for those "one-lens-only" trips, though. We use the D70 when size doesn't matter. I have a Minolta A1 for the quick point-and-shoot (ie. grab and run--not for shutter lag, the D70 stomps it for that).

They take great pics of luxury marque cars! (But for some reason, pics of the new S from these cameras make the rear fenders seem overly-flared over the wheel wells.)
    The 18-200 VR is supposed to be around $700, according to things I have seen in the dpreview forum. Not so surprising since it appears based on the 24-120 VR (which is what I usually use).

If the S fenders look funny in your pictures, it is time to get a new camera. It couldn't possibly be the car's fault!
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    So if Kia or Hyundai produced a car that matched my list, of course I would buy if it beat out others. Everyone's list is different, though. What does your list look like?

Well my list would be a little different since there is only me to worry about.

1. Styling - if a car is ugly and/or bland I couldn't care any less about it. No boring or ugly cars.

2. Performance - Quality - Reliability - Comfort are pretty much all equally important after #1 for me. A car is imo no good if high quality, but has lousy seats and it is slow. Likewise a fast car with too little comfort is a problem too. These all get looked at equally after styling/design in my book. I unlike most here would trade on some of these if the car is of knockout design and/or peformance though. I like a more well rounded car.

To answer the question I posed earlier, yes I'd buy the car if it met all my criteria. After all I'd buy a VW Phaeton if I had the means to do so. It is a very desireable car imo despite lacking status and reliability.

M
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    When a car company (any company) starts, the most important quality they should have is reliability. And then they can talk about performance and features.

According to you that is. Plus that statement implies that Germans and in particular Mercedes' "quality" is so bad to the point where it renders every other positive aspect of the car pointless. That is the thinking here that I will always disagree with. If you're fine with having a car of supreme reliability but boring as all getout on other fronts so be it.

Secondly Rolls didn't start out with lame designs and/or mimicing designs from other companies for the biggest and best cars. Big difference. Rolls was also an innovator, not a follower.

M
  • According to you that is. Plus that statement implies that Germans and in particular Mercedes' "quality" is so bad to the point where it renders every other positive aspect of the car pointless. That is the thinking here that I will always disagree with. If you're fine with having a car of supreme reliability but boring as all getout on other fronts so be it.

Secondly Rolls didn't start out with lame designs and/or mimicing designs from other companies for the biggest and best cars. Big difference. Rolls was also an innovator, not a follower.

Rolls was reliable and was an innovator, 70 years ago.

As for MB, in terms of reliablity, they are not in the same situation as in Rolls. At least the C and E class have about the industry average score. That's why they are still a volumn seller. And that's also why their sales ranks only 5th in the U.S.
  • BUT Lexus is not number one in terms of car sales and never were! Lexus sales is number one primarily because of SUV sales!

Nothing wrong with that.
    Porsche is also known as Porsche the truck company.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    "Hey, quite a few of us that bought a Lexus recently have gone on record here as really having wanted to be able to get an MB, and looking forward to being able to do so in the future when MB gets its reliability act together again. Of course, now some of us are also less than thrilled with the styling of the upcoming S."

Yup - exactly!!

Having agreed with the above - just got back from Simi Valley, CA., and you can't swing a dead cat there without hitting a Benz - mostly C-classes, probably for fuel efficiency, but still - they're EVERYWHERE!!!!!
  • ctsangctsang Posts: 237
    "After all I'd buy a VW Phaeton if I had the means to do so. It is a very desireable car imo despite lacking status and reliability. "

If it is so desireable, why is so few people buying it?
    "When I look at sedans in the LS/S/7 class, the lower status of the LS doesn't come remotely close, for me, to offsetting the higher price and lower reliability of the S."

Precisely my feelings about why I own an LS rather than the more attractive, and higher regarded S-Class. The next generations of both though - may change that whole status thing....
    "If it is so desireable, why is so few people buying it?"

Because it's a VW. How many Jaguars do you think would be sold with a FORD Badge on 'em?
    The next generations of both though - may change that whole status thing....

Agreed that Lexus' status vs MB is on an upward path. I think that's due to a combination of factors: quality/reliability, the passage of time, hybrid innovation, MB mis-steps with reliability. In time the price gap will close...only the degree and pace at which that will happen are unknown.
    "I have predicted before that the Koreans will eventually be a force in luxury cars, and that 10 years from now some of the guys on this board will be defending Lexus against an onslaught of a new generation of Korean luxury car fans.

Looks like the new Hyundai is already being compared to the Toyota Avalon, and even the Lexus ES330! Can the "Ultimate Driving Experience" be next?"

EXACTLY!! BMW & MB had better starting worrying about their next assault, as should the Japanese. Korea is building some great product now - but their perception is still not so great. Those who have them though, are sold. That perception will coming along just like the Japanese perception did.
    I was quite impressed by the Kia Amanti I rented about 4 months ago. The steering was too light and the suspension too soft, but for the price the features and quality especially of the interior (fake wood though) were a surprise to me.

I wish the Japanese would copy the Koreans' 10 year warranty.