Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    It was all in jest!

I dont think Killerbunny was referring to MB or BMW?

I like the G35 and cant wait for the new generation ! I dont discriminate a car based on nationality.
    But I am quite surprised that the S-class board is so dead with a new model around the corner.

So what does that prove?

It may just mean the S drivers dont participate in these forums! The lack of attendance does not imply anything about the new S.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    Doesn't prove anything. I'm just surprised because there were plenty of S-class posts - by real owners - in the past, particularly in the 2000-2003 period.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    In fact I'd state that the new S-class should have MORE interest than the new LS. Why ? The new S is the first re-design in like forever (6+ years), so why isn't there a pent-up anticipation for this car ? OTOH, the LS received a complete makeover for the 2001 release, and another face-lift for the 2004 release, yet barely 3 years later, Lexus is re-doing it all over again, and the buzz is real strong !!! Hmmmmmm...... I would have thought that the car that needs the redo the most would be getting the buzz... Maybe its that the new S really does not need a re-do afterall... Its current style is already pretty nice, and MB can only worsen not improve an already great style. Maybe they should have left it alone afterall...But with a re-styled 7, A8 and LS in the offing, it makes sense to re-do the S as well... But we'll see.
  • I have never driven one so just what does "waft" mean? An invented word that equals "mushy suspension" or something?

It is basically a term coined by RR. It means that the car glides along effortlessly, but with a sense of control, great power and authority.

It's funny how the eurofans nowadays make "riding on clouds" into some kind of perjorative, after Lexus started making cars that are better at offering a more quiet and serene environment for the riders.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Likewise, anytime I read anything about Lexus' domination of the world and the end of Mercedes it is usually the same folks, over and over again. Then when it doesn't happen (the latest case being the failed destruction of BMW) all you get is sales data and reliability reports.

Who said anything about downplaying the bestselling luxury brand this time around? I surely didn't. Did you actually read before you posted? Doesn't seem like it.

M
    All of this thread popularity nonsense reminds me of the equally silly stuff going on about sales in the Luxury Performance Sedans thread.

Just because one thread has a lot of activity and the others has little or no activity doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. There are hundreds of thousounds of buyers from all these luxury brands that don't even know about Edmunds' Town Hall.

The E-Class trounces the GS in sales month after month, yet the GS thread is much more popular here.

Just because a few people swoon over a new car and post over and over (and get duped into believing that they had an inside track from Japan) doesn't mean that a car who's thread isn't posting much won't be succesfull either.

How much further are we going to reach with this?

M
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    I think it has been mentioned here before, but power/performance is definitely an aspect of a high-end luxury car...

Why is it, then, that all the Lexus fans never bring this up while they are rambling incessantly about reliability? Funny how the Lexus has the least power of any car in the class, and gets almost 100 hp less than than the BMW, yet they get the same gas mileage.

Why don't the Lexus fans ever talk about this obvious component of luxury?
  • sv7887sv7887 Posts: 351
    Hi all,
    Doesn't anyone here remember the LS430 vs Q45 comparison a few years back? The LS430 beat the Q45 in the 0-60 test despite a 50 HP deficit. I don't know where this myth of Lexus cars being slow comes from...Even the LS430 can hit 0-60 in 5.8 seconds and have a top speed of 135 MPH (Electronically limited) The car can definitely go faster than that...My LS400 has done 135 MPH easily and had more to give!

SV
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    but power/performance is definitely an aspect of a high-end luxury car...

Agreed!

Funny how the Lexus has the least power of any car in the class

Why should I be surprised when a German carfan just arrogantly assumes that German cars perform best, without bothering to check the facts?

750i - 360hp, 360 lb-ft, 5.8 sec 0-60
    LS430 - 278hp, 312 lb-ft, 5.9 sec
    S430 - 275hp, 295 lb-ft, 6.6 sec

So, which brand is it again that has "the least power of any car in the class"?
  • rgswrgsw Posts: 333
    Dewey: Are you aware of the recall of 14,000 transmissions and fuel pumps on the early (first six months production) on the 2004 LS? They changed mine out, filled the tank with gas plus Lexus sent me a $200 Chevron Gas gift certificate for any inconvenience they may have caused me. Doubt if CG picked up on this or if affected the LS430 rating.
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    So, which brand is it again that has "the least power of any car in the class"?

My bad... 2nd least. ;)

Of course, that's not counting the S500 (which is more expensive, but still in the class), but Lexus doesn't offer any other engine option. Regardless of MB engine choice... BMW, Jag, Audi, Cadillac, Infiniti, VW... Lexus finds itself at the bottom.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Actually you're forgetting the S350. Mercedes has a $65K S with just 241hp and 248ft.lbs of torque.

If the Lexus 4.3L is so weak and pathetic, why arent the German cars any faster? The LS weighs 3990lbs. The BMW weighs 4500lbs, the A8 is 4400lbs. Lexus doesnt need any more power, they just need to keep the weight down compared to the porky BMW and Audi. As for the VW, it weighs 1200lbs more than the Lexus. An LS430 would have no trouble running away from a Phaeton at a stoplight, regardless of how much more power the W-8 has.
  • Merc

I have hear no one speak of Lexus domination of the world market...YET Just domination of the US market...
  • BDR:

Fact is my LS 0-60 is quite a bit faster 0-60 (5.9 sec.) then all but a very few well Over $100,000 S-Class sedans (6.3 sec) ...That is even though is has about 45 less horses...runs cleaner and gets better milage and is more reliable..

I don't know the BMWs 0-60 times you might find it interesting to look it up and let us know...with a 100 more horses it surely is faster then the LS...Isn't it?
    Rgsw: Thanks!

So Michael, I guess your statement below is incorrect!

THE LS...DOES NOT HAVE TRANSMISSION ISSUES...as I have pointed out. Has not had transmission going back to 97 which is as far back as my consumer reports goes and I don't want to dig out the older issues

Hmmm, and up to now I have not heard about any transmission issues with Audis, BMWs and MBs? So I guess the Germans are closer in their "Relentless Pursuit to Perfection? :P
    Why should I be surprised when a German carfan just arrogantly assumes that German cars perform best, without bothering to check the facts?

I don't recall anyone here saying that a S430 was a better performing car than the LS430. You've mentioned this before and yet I don't ever remember that claim being made for the S430 vs. the LS430.

Germancar fans not checking the facts doesn't happen nearly as much as the over-the-top theories and bogus claims put forth here by Lexus fans.

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    nevertheless, bdr did bash Lexus for supposedly having the weakest car in the class, which is totally untrue. The S350 and S430 are the weakest cars in the class.

The fact is, the LS430 is one of the fastest cars in the class. Horsepower, without taking any other factors into account, is just a number. As I pointed out before, most of the German cars weigh hundreds of pounds more than the LS. In the case of the Phaeton, over 1,000lbs. That doesnt help acceleration.
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    I don't recall anyone here saying that a S430 was a better performing car than the LS430.

Not you merc1, but "anyone" did indeed:
    link title

...not naming specific models but saying "Lexus has the least power of any car in the class"...the class does include the LS430 and S430, yes?
    I guess I read that wrong. I initially took that remark as a knock on the LS430 for having a lot less power than the 750i, with the 750i still managing to get the same fuel economy (per him) as the much less powerful LS430? :confuse:

Though I don't see where he stated the LS430 was a poor or the poorest performer, only that it had the least hp in the class, which you and LG are correct that isn't the case.

M