Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Silly me.... here is my email address:
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,662
    OAC - still missing.
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    There's probably a security measure in place that prevents people from giving out their email address, which would invite spam. Maybe email the moderator and ask him what to do?
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Just edit your profile to include your e-mail address and after he gets it re-edit your profile to eliminate it.
    Funny and weird !!! I did provide it 2X already, and somehow it disappeared each time. Must be a s/w thing... I tried editing my profile to turn my e-mail address to public, yet each time I saved the *new* setting, it remained *private* and hidden... Seems the s/w for editing profiles ain't working for me.

This is in Pat_Host's territory now... So Pat, any help on this ?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You might have to log out and back in - in which case, it may be fixed by the time you see this.

Or you could put it in the bio section. I think that will show up immediately.

If you can't get it to work, you need to go to the Contact Us tab at the Help link on the left side of the page and report it.

No, we don't have anything in place to keep people from posting their email addresses, but no one, not anyone, wants to do that. If you provide it through your profile, the spambots and other address harvesters can't get it. In your profile, only registered, logged-in users can see it.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Are there even specific SAE rules for calculating horsepower and torque ratings for hybrids?

I don’t know the total answer to this but it seems the individual gas engine and electric motor withtin a hybrid system are SAE rated. This doesn’t tell us much because the net power applied concomitantly is what matters. I would like to know how this is calculated but obviously the transmission and electronic input have a lot to do with it. I suppose you are asking if the entire hybrid systems are SAE rated? Good question.

It seems that the way Toyota rates HSD cars is different than the way Honda rates IMA cars, etc.

Yes, some kind of standardization is needed. It is very difficult to compare hybrid system specs at this point. I think the only thing we have to go by is acceleration rates. You can’t get a feel for torque and horsepower by reading manufacturer specs for hybrids. It is a new and convoluted environment we have here.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Ljflx, I see your point about earned vs unearned money but when it gets down to personal finances, I believe there are basically three kinds of people:

1 - Those who like to spend (generally risk takers and those who live for today)
    2 - Those who don’t like to spend (the security-conscious and frugal)
    3 - Everyone in between

There are people who are loaded but will never buy an expensive car. Conversely, there are those who are not so financially endowed but will see to it that they get the car of their dreams.

We all know that cars are not an investment, rather an expense. With cars, I think it come down to one’s personal level of enjoyment and lifestyle. Those who truly enjoy them rather than treat them like public utilities will spend, regardless of how they obtained their money.

“It’s in my nature to spend. My only problem is... I never have anything to spend.”

-Ralph
    My new 545, "the car of the future" regrettably cannot:

1. set its clock automatically for DST/ST
    2. core a apple
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    My LS has yet to come up with a cure for cancer. I'm very disappointed about that, as its clearly just laziness.
    Thanks, Pat

All it needed was as you suggested - logout-and-login
    OAC - can you put up an e-mail address on your profile for me to contact you.

Fixed. Check out my profile...Thx
    But your point illustrates something I've been saying for a long time. That being that earned money spends that money more prudently than unearned money...

My wife is a CPA, and one of her firm's client drives around in a $250K Lamboghini. Well she knew the cost of the car cos the client had it in his tax return. One day this client stopped by her office to chat, and my wife asked him why he drives such a high cost-fast depreciating car ? His response: "I am an equity investment advisor, if my customers see me successful (as my car shows) they'll feel more secure entrusting their money in my care".

Sometimes, we are what we drive. Our choice of automobile may tell something about who we are, and our belief system. Success can (often) be correlated to owning a HELM. But clearly there are far too many people stretching themselves to show they too are *successful* or *cool* or *rich* or *wealthy* or *frugal*, or *prudent*, or ...

My LS was a birthday gift. Figured I deserve a lil' pampering for all the hard work I have put into my work. And why not ? If I can afford a Bentley, and already own a huge fabulous home, my kids college savings are there, my nest egg/retirement is rock solid, and the Bentley would not put a huge hole in my pocket otherwise, then I'd buy it in a NY-minute. I believe in the "here-and-now". Enjoy what you have NOW and don't be a slave to $, or don't let your money *own* you. Life's too short....
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    What a lovely discourse: Net worth levels, self-made wealth, heirs, inheritence implications, frugality versus conspicious consumption and last but not least personal levels of enjoyment and lifestyle.

It would be even lovelier if this forum could include High end luxury marque vehicles in this discussion too!

But since we are more focused on the owners of their cars why dont we begin a disussion on how different education levels affect vehicle choices :confuse:
    Perhaps our complaints will get back to the Lexus and BMW big-wigs.

I have a feeling that the LS will be equipped with a cancer cure (probably as part of a new ultra-luxury package) a great deal sooner than BMW will be able to offer a clock which automatically adjusts for DST/ST. :sick:
    That's an interesting question:

There are some pimps on Broadway and 7th Avenue in NYC who haven't graduated from middle school and can barely read, but have pretty good business skills, who happen to be driving LS's, 911's, 7 series BMW's, RR's, Bentleys and S series MB's.
    I've seen 'em.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    The "rim" industry pretty much depends on that demographic entirely.
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    Sometimes a person who enjoyes cars, sets aside ten thousand dollars a year and get what ever (in reason) catches their fancy every four years or so...for me this comes way after all the children have grown and are well into their own lives--and it is nice when the company picks up the tab to a degree...Tony ps It`s really nice if the car retains a nice part of it`s value like Lexus does
    Or as BMW does!