Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    "Gee, no wonder Lincoln is in trouble. There won't be many repeat customers if the median age of the buyer is 62+."

I've heard people say that about Mercedes, Cadillac & Lincoln for 25 years - the one flaw in that assumption is that they generally figure everyone 62 years old, is going to die without replacements. People turn 62 every day. Somebody has to make cars for them.....do it right, and you'll have that market, which has money.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    hey, nevada banker,
    statistically, and factually, which age groups have the most money available to buy a car?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Yeah, that one merc - and the C-240 Sedan as well. I've had rentals that were a disgrace in the cabin.

No argument from me there, the 2001-2004 so C-Class was put together by a different company it seems, just like the 2000-2002 S-Class, very suspect. The 2005 model C feels like a different car altogether. Even one of the biggest critics (C&D) gushed over the interior quality of the C recently of a C350 Sport. Why Mercedes though they could get away with that, and the 1999-2005 M-Class is beyond me.

M
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    "Somebody has to make cars for them."

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present the Lexus LS430.
    It is the car for "them."
    Mercedes has gotten away with a lot in recent history. The company has enormous untapped potential, and for the life of me, I don't know why they don't use more of it.
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Is Toyota/Lexus like GM/Cadillac three deades ago?

As I notice this forum loves to bash everything related to GM and Ford ,Mr. Dave Power(founder of JD Power)has the following words to say about Toyota:

He even worries about Toyota, his first client and the world's most successful automaker. Industry analysts suggest Toyota will pass General Motors in 2006 to become the world's No. 1 automaker.

``Today, at Toyota, there's nobody left from when I was there in 1968,'' he said. ``Some of the younger people act a little bit like how GM people were 50 years ago.''

That potential for corporate hubris might be Toyota's biggest challenge in the years ahead, he said.

link title
    This isn't the hybrid forum, I noted, but I'm not yet sold on the hybrid, mostly because of the initial cost increase over the standard model

Lexus currently has hybrids!

BMW, MB, Porsche and Acura have indicated an interest in future hybrid vehicles!

How can hybrids not be considered a part of a high marque vehicle discussion? They are a part of this topic as engines and transmissions are a important part of this forum.

Personally I prefer potent turbodiesels than hybrids. Discussing hybrid or turbodiesel high marque vehicles should not be out of bounds here!
    I personally have to agree with you. Your point is so well presented. As the hybrid discussion relates to high-end vehicles, it is totally appropriate, IMHO.
    Thanks,
    TagMan
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    "Today, at Toyota, there's nobody left from when I was there in 1968,'' he said. ``Some of the younger people act a little bit like how GM people were 50 years ago.''"

What a surprise that comment is. Let's see - how many company's are in the world today that existed 38 years ago? That's about how many company's you can substitute for Toyota in Power's comment.
    I understood the point "dewey" was making to be that there might be a similarity between GM "then" and Toyota "now", and that history could possibly repeat itself. OBVIOUSLY the same employees don't last forever, but perhaps the circumstances are similar. Personally, I don't think Toyota and GM share a doomed destiny, but the question is legitimate enough.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    Disagree. The auto world is far more competitive and globalized today and execs have learned the lessons that others failed at. The Japanese are also much more meticulous than the American counterparts of the past. The smugness of GM in the past is haevily tied to a smaller less competitive market of auto manufacturers. Look to MB and BMW exec comments over the years as much more repetitive of the arrogance once shown by GM.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present the Lexus LS430.
    It is the car for "them."

No kidding, hpowders. I have one. Problem is, I'm only 52, not 62, and the LS430 is pretty expensive. Saw a new one at the Motor Trend snow last weekend that went for 75,000. Mine stickered new at 61,000. Lincolns can be had for the mid $40s - a more mainstream price for masses of 62 years olds. That's all I'm saying. Cadillac has left that market and is more in the Lexus-BMW camp now, but BMW is not usually a pensioner's car.
    Ask Islandguy, tagman, I didn't see it. I'm not making a demographic statement of fact, just saying old folks often have money to spend. That's all.
    Not unless you are on a retired congressman's pension. Do those folks have a great deal or what?
    I truly hope that the 2007 LS will look a little less conservative and Mercedes-like so it can appeal to a wider base; perhaps more of the affluent younger folks, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Yes, that's on my list to do when I retire - run for Congress, serve one term, retire at full salary. Buy a Town Car. :P
  • Why bother running for Congress. Become an aid! The NYT reports that the starting salary for a Congressional aid who becomes a lobbyist is 300K.
    Name me any other job where you can actually vote yourself a raise!
    Look to MB and BMW exec comments over the years as much more repetitive of the arrogance once shown by GM.

Arrogance at MB and BMW is nothing compared to the arrogance of Toyota today!

How is this for arrogance :

Toyota claiming that they may raise the prices of their cars in order to help GM ! Treating your competitor like a beggar who is dependent on your alms is quite condescending, dont you think? Especially when the real reason Toyota is raising prices is because of steel, energy costs and higher capital expenditures.
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    IIHS press release

Certain marques that we like to discuss here are notably absent.
    Heck, our Firemen make 150,000 here! And they all have Excursions......it's the Firetruck from Ford, I guess. No college, just high risk once in a while. At least, the Aid has an education.

But back on the topic (I digress)