Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    Good post, TagMan. But I think you do have to differentiate between free maintenance (which you discussed eloquently) and extended term warranties, such as 10/100 or 7/70. There are different customer concerns being addressed, and different risks/costs involved for the manufacturer if they underestimate the incidence of future repairs. Heck, if I recall correctly, DC/MB has admitted that their recent earnings have been hurt by high warranty repair costs (including recalls) just within the standard warranty period.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    It's still all about marketing in the case of the "free" maintenance, and it's a positive condition from ANY angle. To somehow twist some free service into a deeper, sinister admission of poor vehicle reliability by the upper management is stretching things WILDLY. Or to make it sound like some terrible trick to fool us all. C'mon now. As I pointed out, it's a marketing tool to gain confidence, peace of mind, to roll out the red carpet just a little further, and open the door a little wider to invite customers into the driving experience.

I do agree to a point. To those who state that the BMW free maintainance is only oil changes. Here is what BMW states on their website:

"Full Maintenance includes items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear, provided wear and tear exceeds BMW specifications. This includes items such as brake pads, brake rotors, and wiper blade inserts that are not covered by the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Any adjustments required due to normal operating conditions are also included."

So its not just oil changes, is it ? Wear and tear items can cost quite a bunch... depending on one's driving habits and conditions and some luck/unlucky things that may happen. These would not be small change to BMW to absorb. MB found out pretty quickly how these costs could eat into their profits, and discontinued it.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    "Changing topics, on reliability personally I'd like to see Lexus "stick it to the competition" by changing their standard warranty from 4 years to 5 or even 6. Of course they won't because they have to consider the bottom line."

I'm not sure it would impact their bottom line much if they did, frankly.... and as you said, they don't need to.
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    I have no clue whatever you are trying to say here... Maybe you should direct this to hpowders instead of me pls ?

My point was to show how silly your conspiracy theory about BMW was! You claim that BMW engineers cars in order to break down after warranty expriation! What nonsense!

Next time you make a claim back it up with facts! This is not a creative writing session!

If BMWs had costly problems after warranty then BMW resale values would collpse! Who would want to buy a money trap? And I think we do know the truth about BMW resale values by now dont we?

In fact check the costs for BMW extended warranties, they are not at all that hefty when compared to competitive marques. So much for your theory or should I say myth!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    "Maybe I am just a bit too thin skinned and sensitive but to me the ultimate form of smugness is when a competitor like Toyota talks about a fellow competitor like GM as a disability case that needs to be treated altruistically."

Toyota has been smug for decades, even arrogant. But in this case, it's justified. GM doesn't have a clue what to do with their problems, and if they did, they lack the power to do it. That elephant is just way to fat to tapdance anymore.

Every luxury marque, IMO, is chasing BMW right now. Every base marque is chasing Toyota and Honda. That may change, but nobody is chasing GM or even Ford anymore. Since I was born, nobody chased Chrysler. That's why the UAW never threw a strike on Chrysler. Who cared?
    My point was to show how silly your conspiracy theory about BMW was! You claim that BMW engineers cars in order to break down after warranty expriation! What nonsense!

Your statement is bogus and fictional! Next time you make a claim back it up with facts! This is not a creative writing session!

Why so combative a tone ? Maybe you haven't noticed this, dewey, I had stopped responding to any post from you. Why ? Bcos I believe you like to argue for the sake of arguing. Just not worth my time... You are free to read whatever insinuation or innuendo you like to my post even when I make nothing even remotely close to whatever you see in it. If you see conspiracy theory in my post, so be it... why should I dissuade your mind from seeing what you'd like to see ?
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Heh! Heh!
    Using my name as a pseudonym eh?
    The plot thickens. ;)
    Yup! Some folks love playing devil's advocate no matter what!
    Any successful car company may appear arrogant!

That is why all German luxury marques appear arrogant including MB. MB sales have increased quite nicely these past few decades despite the claims of some forum members.
    The point is BMW has courageously put their reputation on the line by offering free maintenance.
    This gesture is a tremendous vote of confidence in the quality of their vehicles.
    They stepped up to the plate when nobody else would.
    In doing this, they show serious movement in alleviating the perception that BMW's have serious reliability problems
    This makes me feel very good as a BMW consumer even though since 1993, I have never had any trouble with any of my 3 BMW's.

Why doesn't Mercedes step up to the plate in a similar way?
    Because in MB's case such an offer would bankrupt the company IMHO!
    Heh! Heh! Relax Dewey. It was only an attempt at satire.
    Don't take it so seriously.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Heck, if I recall correctly, DC/MB has admitted that their recent earnings have been hurt by high warranty repair costs (including recalls) just within the standard warranty period.

That's significant, IMO. Can you back that up, please?

BTW, I was not referring to the service contracts which are purchased by the customer at various expiration terms, differenct levels of coverage and deductibles, but rather the included free maintenance sponsored by the manufacturer. Yes, it is sometimes more than an oil change. Even more reason to give it significance and credit.
    Whoops! Toyota has recalled 75,000 04-05 Prius vehicles for the "minor" problem of the electronic control module causing the gasoline engine to shut down and dramatically weaken the electric motor.
    A one year waiting list for this?

With GS exploding engines and now prickly Prius's, Toyota had better watch their back! :lemon:
    Heh! Heh! Relax Dewey. It was only an attempt at satire.
    Don't take it so seriously.

Thanks for informing me! Now I dont have to look out for those two hitmen driving a BMW M5! ;)
    Trust me. There would be no escape with that M5 after you!
    ;)
    Why so combative a tone ? Maybe you haven't noticed this, dewey, I had stopped responding to any post from you. Why ?

No I have not noticed! But I like your two step approach.

1)Make an unsubstantiated claim
    2)If questioned about your claim then act offended and boycott the questioner!
    No I have not noticed! But I like your two step approach.

1)Make an unsubstantiated claim
    2)If questioned about your claim then act offended and boycott the questioner!

Can you please provide the quote and the post where I made any CLAIMS of BMW's conspiring to engineer poor cars ? Where exactly were such CLAIMS as you so stated made ? I'd like very much to see such quotes, pls...
    Here you go! BMW is faced with problem free cars during warranty and bingo after warranty BMW can recoup their costs with maintenance! Why do you single out BMW when this applies to every single auto marque including Lexus!

Or maybe BMW figures the car should hold up for the entire time of the *free* maintainance, especially since they are giving such a good deal on their leases. Then when the leases get turned in, and someone else buys the now high-milage car, the new owner has some maintainance to do, and they can recoup some of the costs
    Which part of that post CLAIMS any conspiracy theory ? Or was that something YOU read into it ? Maybe in your view high milage cars don't have maintainance issues like regular scheduled maintainances at 60K/90K/120K and beyond ? Are these high miles/services covered under basic new car warranties ??? Would any dealer service shop not recoup lots of money from these services ? Seemed pretty simple to me, except if you have to read other motives to my posts...Using BMW in the post was purely in the context of the discussion... My 99 LS cost me $1300 for its 90K mile service... That is not chump change, you know.
    There was some rumor about BMWs that you don't want to own one out of warranty due to repair cost. Well, why not offer *freebie* to lure more buyers upfront. Let the shmuck who buys it used pay for the real cost of ownership. I

Let the schmucks pay after? So BMW owners are schmucks? OR does BMW view their customers as schmucks who have to pay big bucks after the warranty expires? You dont want to own BMWs after the warranty expires? So they are a money trap unlike all other marques? I dont know the answer to that but I do know that your claim is false!

I called it conspiracy instead of being false to add dramatic spice to that Heinrich letter but certainly failed in that attempt.