Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Why did Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc create a luxury unit if people who buys them are looking for VALUE ?

Your value arguments are perfect in describing someone who buys a Lexus RX330 versus a Toyota Highlander or a Audi A3 2.0t versus the upcoming VW GTI. A3 2.0t and RX330 are catered to buyers who seek luxury. While Toyota and VW are catered to practical buyers who seek value.

Your value arguments are a bit of a stretch when applied to cars with different platforms like the V6 Altima versus a Infiniti G35 or a Toyota Avalon versus a Lexus IS.

As hard as it may be to believe but there are a great many buyers who buy premium marques because of the way they are engineered and not mainly because of image/luxury.(Although I dont have a survey to prove my last point)

To quote the famous American philospher named Designman... "nuff said"
    Although mergers and acquisitions in the car industry usually end up in a scrap heap, a Porsche-Saab combo could be very interesting.

As long as Porsche is focused on making exciting sports cars they will not be abandoned by sports car buyers. And as far as I know the sports car buyer will never be extinct as long as there are people who are andrenalin-driven.

Porsche's past problems were mainly due to the 924/944 and 928. These cars alienated a large number of traditional Porsche buyers.

There is nothing wrong with being a very profitable niche player. In fact there are advantages in being a unique niche player in a consolidated auto industry that produces a lot of look-a-like engineering and styling.

blckislandguy you stated the following:

Now fully half the sales are the Cayenne and they are doing well.

Cayenne sales have lately been diving. IMHO the rebadged engineering of the V6 VW Cayenne is a joke!
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    ctsang,
    All I get from this is that you are from HK, brag that you are rich and hang around with billionaires, and prefer your Lexus to the other high-end marques that you also own. You do admit that you OWN the European marques, so it would be logical to consider that there must be something about the Euro marques that appealed to you enough to purchase them, and keep them, since you claim they are in the shop so often. Tell us what you like about the Euro marques you own.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,822
    A reporter is looking for a former Volkswagen fan who has given up on them in favor of other brands in the last couple years. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, December 22, 2005. Be sure to include your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• oacoac Posts: 1,594
    whatever.... Tired of repeating myself ...
  • ctsangctsang Posts: 237
    Wow, autos made in Thailand and India are better than those from Germany. I can't wait to buy those vehicles. I bet they will be cheaper than MB and BMW. I wonder what those Germancarfans think.
    "As hard as it may be to believe but there are a great many buyers who buy premium marques because of the way they are engineered and not mainly because of image/luxury.(Although I dont have a survey to prove my last point) "

My friend, most people who buy those premium marques because they want to show off, not becuase of engineering. Most those owners don't know a lot about engineering. They are usually in business.
    As I said, I bought those Euro marques to show off.
    I wonder what those Germancarfans think.

I know I have not slept a wink these past two years thinking about it.
    Most those owners don't know a lot about engineering. They are usually in business

That may certainly be the case for the people you know!
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    autos made in Thailand and India are better than those from Germany. I can't wait to buy those vehicles.

As I said, I bought those Euro marques to show off.

All I can say is . . . enjoy your new vehicle from INDIA that you say will be better than a German car.
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    I'm speechless, and can only imagine how merc1 would reply to those comments.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Are we having a respectful discussion of the marques and the cars that belong in this genre or not??

Lately it seems "or not" is the answer ... and some of you should beware of the trolls ...
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Nothing at all to do with status.
    I don't consider myself a 545 type of guy.
    However, the 545 was being offered at only 2.4% Interest on a 3 year lease.
    A 2006 330i was being offered for only about $50 a month less.
    The 545 I got can be had for about 60k. The 330i I would want would go for about 43k.
    I jumped at the opportunity.
    I drove two 3 series for 12 years, It is my favorite car by far.
    But I am looking forward to driving the new LS next fall.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,662
    hpowders - you don't need to explain that deal to anyone. Great move, great value.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    "But I am looking forward to driving the new LS next fall."

DOH :surprise:

Hmmm...Powders...that's only about 9 months away....Like waiting for a new Baby to arrive. Kewl tho'....I just didn't expect to hear this news considering how much you have enjoyed driving your BMW 5 series. I still haven't seen the spy photos of the LS but would appreciate seeing it.
    (I am about fully recovered from the Tennis smash. :sick: As soon as the mesh imprint leaves my backside everything will be back to normal. :P )
    Thanks Ljflx.
    Nothing pretentious about it.
    I will drive the new LS.
    I am very curious to find out whether Lexus improves the driveability of their flagship.
    They missed with the new GS.
    It's a big moment for Lexus and I will check it out for myself.

Who knows? Maybe in a few winters, I may have a "December To Remember."
    I favor BMW but I am certainly not rigid about it.
    They certainly aren't sending me any holiday bonus check!
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Misunderstood you... :blush:

OK...you did say drive...not buy. Correctamundo.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Even CR listed the new GS as one of their "most disappointing" new models in the '06 new car issue... along with the 530i. Among the "most improved" was the Infiniti M.
    Yes. The new LS is at the top of my must drive list next fall.
    I would be delighted to be pleasantly surprised.
    We'll just have to wait and see.

Looking forward to Merc1's LS style report in January when he visits Detroit.
    If he gives it grudging, lukewarm approval, that can be considered a coup by Lexus.