Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    RE: Post #1774.

That's the first time I have heard a Lexus interior called Gawdy.

Also, according to a friend who works at Lexus Eastern Region office in New Jersey, the LX470 will be redesigned and will be taken further upmarket, in the Range Rover neighborhood.
  • The problem with the LX 470 is its Toyota sibling Land Cruiser is probably killing it in sales since it is the same truck. Most people would buy the Cruiser at $50,000 alot quicker than a $60,000+ LX 470. They look too much alike except the front view and you could not tell the difference if the badges and emblems were totally removed. So, it probably makes more since to get a Land Cruiser.

Personally for more luxury features, I would choose the Lexus but other than that it does not sell as well now days.

Several years ago, sales monthly was a little over 1,000+ now they are at between 500-600 or so.

Also too Lexus is beginning to be like Ford and Chevelot. How come they have to have several truck models. That is ridiculous. Think about it, RX 300 (Camry based), GX 470, and LX 470. Lexus only needs a car base truck and a pure truck base SUV like Cadillac with its SRX and Escalade variants is enough for any luxury automaker.

J "CaddyLac"
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    maxhonda:

I stand corrected about the RX300's sales but I still maintain that Lexus will continue to fall down the sales list. Lexus vehicles have no sense of style and they are no longer the bargains they used to be because the other automakers continue to come out with lower priced luxury vehicles to increase sales. The new Rx300 isnt going to make nearly the impact of the first one. When the first one came out it had no competition except the ML320. Next year the RX330 will compete with the X5, ML, SRX, Envoy, XC90 and MDX. IN other words the competition will be much stiffer. CAdillac is right behind Lexus this year in sales, BMW is first, ad the SRX will be enough to push it past lexus next year or the year after. The SRX fills a major hole in the lineup and unlike the RX300 it will be something new and fresh. Cadillac's lineup is smaller and older than Lexus' lineup and it's still close to lexus in sales. Once you add the ESV, XLR and SRX it wll be good position to pass lexus. The new GS and RX are replacement models, not an expansion of lexus lineup.

How old is old? I am talking 50s and 60s. I have seen many Deville drivers who looked to be in their 40s or early 50s. Most LS430 drivers ae beyond retirement in this area. I think they went from Buicks to the LS430. To be honest, the lexus model I hear the most about from people my age is the RX300. The Es is horrible looking (also a favorite of guys in their 60s), the GS is dated and the RX looks like a civic with big wheels. On styling alone I think BMW, MB and CAdillac will outsell cadillac next year. BTW, BMW has four models coming out next year and two of those will be affordable. If you erase the Lexus price advantage it starts to lose its luster compared to the prestigous German marques.
  • pcbrspcbrs Posts: 56
    According to J.D. Power's 2002 APEAL (Automotive Performance, Execution And Layout) the LS430 is the winner in the Premium Luxury Car category. Sounds like it has a lot of "appeal" according to the survey.

-Jeff
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,593
    I had once heard that "old people drive Lexus' and that their parents drive Cadillacs". I've also heard that a Cadillac service lounge is "heaven's waiting room".
  • Don't you think that Lexus actually should be thanking Mercedes for it's design of the previous and current a-class cars?(not to mention the m-class. Total rip-off of an ML). I mean without Mercedes-Benz, Lexus would be designing all of its cars like the sc430 which in my opinion is by far one of the most hideous cars on the road today. Lexus needs to come up with some innovative designs instead of copying everything from everyone else. Lexus will always be at the bottom of my list, as the cheap rip-off imitation Mercedes-Benz. This is not directed to any particular person. This is my opinion. So I don't want any of you lexuslovers to be up my [non-permissible content removed] about this okay? Ok
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I think we can ALL express our opinions without others of us reacting in such graphic, provocative terms.

Let's everyone relax for a bit, okay?

There is NO need to take someone else's different opinion as a personal affront. Just talk about your own perspectives without attempting to berate others into seeing things the same way you do.

That ain't a'gonna work -- EVER, no matter how much you berate and carry on.

If some of you would just calm down and think about it rationally, you would realize that pissing off the very people you'd like to convince gets you a minus zero in what you were trying to accomplish.

And then there is the fact of how silly and how off-putting these diatribes look to the truly impartial readers of this mess.

Lighten up, try to be level-headed, and above all, do not attack... Attacking another is what destroys your own credibility.

Seriously.
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    October 8th, 2002:

The 2002 APEAL study is based on responses from more than 117,800 new-vehicle owners and comprises eight specific areas of vehicle performance and design that identify what consumers like and dislike about their new vehicles during the first 90 days of ownership. These areas are: vehicle exterior styling; engine and transmission; comfort and convenience; ride, handling and braking; seats; heating, ventilation and cooling; cockpit and instrument panel; and sound system. The study is in its seventh year...

The E Class, C Class, and S Class MB's did not make top 3 in any classification. The SL and CL came in 2nd/3rd in luxury category behind LS430 because JDPA combines two categories.

A .pdf download with the details is at

http://www.jdpa.com/pdf/2002105.pdf.

This study is important is because it actually reflects a statistically significant reflection of ownership experience.

Most Appealing Compact Car MINI Cooper
    Most Appealing Compact Pickup Ford Explorer Sport Trac
    Most Appealing Compact Van Honda Odyssey
    Most Appealing Entry Luxury Car Ford Thunderbird
    Most Appealing Entry Midsize Car Hyundai Sonata
    Most Appealing Entry Sport Utility Vehicle Honda CR-V
    Most Appealing Full-Size Car Ford Crown Victoria
    Most Appealing Full-Size Pickup Cadillac Escalade EXT
    Most Appealing Full-Size Sport Utility Vehicle Ford Excursion
    Most Appealing Full-Size Van GMC Savana
    Most Appealing Luxury Sport Utility Vehicle Cadillac Escalade
    Most Appealing Mid Luxury Car Lincoln Town Car (2003)
    Most Appealing Midsize Sport Utility Vehicle Toyota Highlander
    Most Appealing Premium Luxury Car Lexus LS 430
    Most Appealing Premium Midsize Car Toyota Avalon
    Most Appealing Premium Sports Car Audi TT
    Most Appealing Sporty Car Acura RSX
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    More news and this from Germany-- MB finishes 8th behind Subuaru (7th)! Diahatsu(6th),... Toyota sales in Europe increased 16% September, Mercedes 1%. ..

Toyota Motor Corporation vehicle models, which include Lexus, top the rankings in six out of seven segment award categories, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2002 Germany Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI) StudySM released today.

http://www.jdpa.com/studies/pressrelease.asp?StudyID=674&CatID=1

Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Executive/Luxury Cars Nissan Maxima

Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Lower Medium Cars Toyota Corolla

Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Multi-Purpose Vehicles Toyota Picnic

Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Small Cars Toyota Yaris

Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Sports Cars Toyota Celica

Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Sports Utility Vehicles Toyota RAV4

Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Upper Medium Cars Lexus IS200

• ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    Since the average Lexus buyer is 53 years old (by the way the average MB buyer is 52) there must be a lot of teenagers driving Lexus cars to get the average down based on your stats. The last time I had my LS430 in for service there wasn't a person over 50 dropping off a car. I also got a newly created Lexus magazine in the mail today and the ads in it - Brioni suits, Nieman Marcus etc - are not aimed at the demographics you speak of. What exactly is your source of data?

Glamourlife - the new Jag interior must also look glossy and gawdy to you since it looks like a Lexus derivative or should I say copy. Regardless it's beautiful, maybe even beats the LS430 - and I'm not a Jag fan. That is the quality interior an $80+k MB should have.
  • Okay look I am sorry but guess what!?!?!?!?!?! The new s-class is at MBUSA.com Check it out!!!!!!!
    See, the pessimism continues. I basically have issues with your entire post.
    First and foremost, let’s begin at continue to fall down the sales list. How long has Lexus been falling down
    The sales list? Year to year, sales have been rising for over the last five years. Not just that but in 2000 & 2001 I believe, Lexus was the best selling luxury nameplate in the United States, ahead of Mercedes & BMW, and far ahead of Cadillac & Lincoln. And BMW is probably going to sell more cars in the United States for 2002, but not by much. And Lexus & BMW will still be far ahead of Cadillac in terms of sales figures for 2002. This is of course in a recession. Despite your pessimism, I’m a bit more optimistic and realistic in that you can expect, if the economy holds steady, that Lexus sales-with the introduction of new products during the 2003 model year, will go grow even further. I apologize for bursting your bubble, but don’t expect Cadillac to gain that much ground, considering they will merely have the new SRX and XLR(Low-production) next year. I would still expect Cadillac sales to grow by about 5K to 6K units a month next year due to these 2 products.

Yes, the RX300 had minimal competition when it first came out, but since last year when the RX300 was in it’s 4th year, the RX300 had plenty of competition-the ML line grew since 1998 from just the ML320 to the ML430 and M55, the X5 came out, the MDX was introduced, Toyota’s own Highlander came out, and it’s had the Infiniti QX4 as competition. Yes, RX300 sales are still strong and it’s still outsells the MDX(which is better), the ML-class & X5.

Gimme a break, Cadillac sales are off about 30K units thru Sep-02. I see 145K units thru Sep-02 vs. 176K for Lexus thru Sep-02. Cadillac is hardly right behind Lexus or BMW. “Right Behind” would be proper if it was said
    Lexus was “right behind” BMW in sales. While I am talking about sales figures, let’s discuss Deville fleet sales to limo companies and the sort. A further inflation of sales figures.

How old? I have seen people around age 30 to 40 driving Deville’s. But, a shock, they are all driving cars that they don’t own but Deville’s which their employers own, the Limo companies. Otherwise, I basically see 50+ set driving Deville’s. While on this topic, let’s not fail to point out that most people in their 30, 40s, or even 50s can afford $60K+ cars, which means you shouldn’t even be comparing the Devilles demographic age group to the LS430’s age group. The Average deville transaction price is probably a good $20K lower than a LS430’s. BTW, how many 40 year olds do you see driving a S-class around or a 7-series? Not a whole lot. Why? Similar to above, not a whole lot of people in the 40 to 50 age group can afford $70K cars. Psst. You generally have to have more $$$ to buy a LS430, S-class, or 7-series. And $$$ usually comes thru acquisition(working).

The ES300 is no beauty queen, but let’s get real, the CTS is one of the ugliest cars, IMO, in the automotive industry. Styling is subjective, so let’s not go there, since obviously Lexus styling clicks with more people that Cadillac styling does.

“If you erase the Lexus price advantage it starts to lose its luster compared to the prestigous German marques” The same can be said about Cadillac. If you erase Caddy’s price advantage it loses even more luster compared to luxury cars that are actually prestigious.
  • brtmdbrtmd Posts: 54
    zachmbenzfvr: Saw the info on the website. The S is a great looking vehicle (still). The wheels in the photos are killer. Although I'm pretty sure I saw some light reflecting off of a gawdy piece of plastic in one of the interior photos.

Even if Lexus isn't thanking MB, I am. When I was recently out to replace the family vehicle (wife, 9 y/o, and 7 y/o), MB was (as usual) at the top of my shopping list with the new 7 series next. I decided to give the LS a look for the first time. What I found was that, in the full size "premium luxury" category, Lexus was building a better MB than MB. Not only that, I got to put $25k back in my pocket--best "cheap rip-off imitation Mercedes-Benz" I've ever found. Your comments reminded me of what my MB salesman said to me when I was evaluating the S class: "It's [the S] a great car for someone who has to have the S." If you are the kind of person who needs to have the extra perceived cache of the S, by all means pony up--it is also a very fine vehicle. (That didn't go up too far did it?)

BTW, in any other vehicle category I would have been sticking with MB or BMW (which one depends on the category as a result of variations in my priorities). Which means (gasp!) that I have found a tiny fragment of common ground with glamourlife: Congratulations on your new E500. A beautiful car IMO.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    A top U.S. daily needs drivers of the BMW series 7 to share their experiences and be named in the story. If you are an avid Series 7 driver and would love to talk about your car, please email me at lori_f@eudoramail.com. Deadline is by Monday October 28 at 5:00p.m. EST

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nealm1nealm1 Posts: 154
    Gosh, Lexus must be sitting pretty; it is the car of choice for OLD people, and as the population ages, all us prostate patients will be looking for cushy cars to drive. And I suppose the S500s and 745i's are the must-have for freshmen on the college campuses this year?

Do me a favor: Count the number of 20-30 year olds you see this week in S classes. The tell me about the LS being an old person's car.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Question, just curious...what did you guys drive before you bought your first Lexus?

M
  • ejerodejerod Posts: 86
    Geez.. when I said I was young I didn't mean to incite an age riot.. lol. You're right.. there aren't many 20-30 year olds driving any of these cars. My statement, as are all the statements here, was subjective. My point being that the younger generations do not like the styling of the LS430. But the demographic that Lexus targeted with that car was 47 year olds with an annual income of 200k. These are the people that can typically buy just about anything they want as far as a luxury car goes. So as far as hitting the target goes, Lexus has been successful. In fact I'd say Bullseye. I'm a private banker by trade with my own firm. I have quite a few wealthy young clients from entertainers to athletes. Of the hundreds I know that do own everything from Audi's to Lamborghini's ( and I'm talking about people that are under 40 in my client base) I only know 3 that own the LS430. No, it isn't a scientific survey by any means and I'm sure someone will find a hundred different articles or studies to argue a point, but that's my observation. The LS430 just looks too bland, whereas the BMW, MB, even Jaguars look like they can eat up asphalt, make a killer cappacino , and allow you to buy season tickets all without breaking a sweat. In the words of a friend of mine that's a professional race car driver. The S class may not be able to outperform a Porshe, but by the looks of it, you know it isn't scared to try. The LS430 on the other hand looks as though it will cower and cry for it's mother .
    "the BMW, MB, even Jaguars look like they can eat up asphalt, make a killer cappacino , and allow you to buy season tickets all without breaking a sweat. In the words of a friend of mine that's a professional race car driver. The S class may not be able to outperform a Porshe, but by the looks of it, you know it isn't scared to try. The LS430 on the other hand looks as though it will cower and cry for it's mother " Those are the corniest two sentences I have read in a long time. Especially the the "killer cappacino, and allow you to buy season tickets" part. Really, no sensibility to that.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    i had too many typos in my last message and I apologize for that.

I dont see how the RX300 can be called a continuing success if it was selling close to 90K units a few years ago and is selling around 60K now. I don't know what the exact sales figures are but 31% of 200K sales is close to 60K a year. The new one will never hit the sales levels of the first model which was a pioneer.The SRX, X3 and other competition will limit it's success in the market.

Listen, I dont have a problem with old people buying cars, that's the media's problem. All I'm saying is that people need to acknowledge that Lexus models other than the IS and RX do not appeal to younger buyers. Now if you live in an area where no one drives anything that isnt an import (CA for example) I can understand why you think all people strive to own a Lexus but that isnt the case here. I have never seen an LS430 driver with hair that wasnt gray. The old model wasnt much better in that regard but this model seems to be a hit with retirees.

If Cadillac was to add 5 or 6K units a month next year it would surpass lexus in sales. Cadillac barely has a price advantage versus the Germans. They have nothing to compete with the 7 series or class but when you look at the prices of other models they arent cheap. The Deville's prce range is $42-58K, Seville $46K-57K, CTS $30K-$40K, escalade $50K-$56K. Next year Cadillac will have a model that is more expensive than any Lexus. We cant dispute who sells more cars but if you look at the average sale price of a CAdillac and a Lexus we know who will have the advantage. Most of Lexus' sales come from three models that cost under $40K and cadillac only has one model that sells for under $40K.

Also, I dont think anyone buys a lexus for the looks. Let's be realistic. Out of all the major Luxury makers Lexus has the worst styling. call it subjective if you want to but I never hear anyone that doesnt own a lexus call their cars attractive. The CTS isnt the best looking car but it is conveying a consistent theme which cant be said about any lexus. WHen you see the CTS next to the Slade and XLR it begins to make some sense. I would fix the rear end, but other than that it is a sharp and modern looking car. Lexus has no common design theme and as a result their cars do not match except for their grilles.

Cadillac, Infiniti and eventually Lincoln (hopefully) are going to do the same thing in the 2000s that Lexus did in the 90s. They are going to re-establish themselves with new products and performance and someon is going to pay in terms of sales. My guess is that Lexus is going to be the primary casualty.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    Whenever the assembly line is re-tooled to produce a new design - as is the case right now with the RX300 - you have lower production and hence lower sales. The plant is operating usually at 33% less efficiency. That is also why the new model takes a while to reach full production after it is introduced. LS400 sales dropped to 14,000 in its last year and zoomed to 33,000 in 2001 with the new model. Don't read anything into sales stats in the last year of a model - its a production issue not a sales issue.

For Merc 1 - Acura Legend and please lighten up a bit. It was a great car. Like my 95 LS400 a friend bought it and took my 60k break-in miles to over 300k miles before the car started to have problems. The 95 LS400 has over 200k miles and is still functioning well. I must do something right when these cars are in their baby years though I do drive them hard and fast.
    1487, wake up dude. Is the RX300 still not the SUV sales leader in it's market category? Which SUV out of them RX300, MDX, X5, ML, and QX4 sells in greater numbers? True the RX300 does not sell 90K units like it did in the first 2-3 years of its cycle, but 60K is still better than what the competition is selling, and most of the competition has newer models(MDX, X5) and the sales numbers still don't match the RX300. Not just that, but the RX300 is darn old. Compared to the MDX especially, it's smaller in just about every dimension, doesn't have the driving dynamics of the MDX, and is underpowered next to the MDX, but it still outsells it. I can see your continued pessimism being a hard-core Cadillac fan, but realistically, if a 5-year old SUV design is outselling newer better and similarly priced vehicles, what makes you think a totally new better newer similarly priced RX330 won't sell more than 60K units? Yes, Competition will limit the RX330's success, and I will even doubt the RX330 will sell 90K units a month, but neither will the MDX or Caddy SRX sell 90K a year because of the crowded entry level luxury SUV segment you speak of. On the other hand, you have to remember that the cross-over SUV segment is still growing(not like it was in the late 90s, but it's still growing) in the double-digit range.

Old people buying luxury cars is not the problem. Simply put, the older a person is, generally, the more expensive car that he/she can afford. Therefore, young people generally cannot afford big-buck luxury cars unless the young person is inherently rich, a pro sport player, a entertainer, a drug dealer, hit the lottery, or is extremely smart and well educated and makes tons of money at a young age. But obviously, we know that all those groups put together constitute a very small percentage of the luxury car buying public.

Everyone in here acknowledge's in here that older people buy Lexus cars, just like older people buy Cadillac, Lincoln, Mercedes, BMW, and Jaguar. What you have a failure acknowledging is that even less young people find any Cadillac model appealing than Lexus models.

Please take a survey if you go to college, or wherever and see how many young people(college aged maybe?, 20-30 age group?) and see what they would rather be driving, a Cadillac or a Lexus. Guaranteed results would be a vast majority would pick a Lexus over a Cadillac. I'm only 27, and I prefer Lexus far over Cadillac. In fact, out of all Luxury car makes Cadillac would be next to last right ahead of Lincoln. 1)BMW 2)Lexus 3)Audi 4)Infiniti 5)Jaguar 6)Mercedes 7)Cadillac 8)Lincoln.

The only Cadillac I like is the STS, because it hasn't gone to that lame new edge design philosophy yet. The CTS has awesome driving ability, but it's styling inside & out is hideous, what was Cadillac thinking?
    On top of that I have many wealthy friends, some inherently rich, some to actually earned it in the computer industry the last few years, I don't see any of them with any cadillac product, but I do see them with Audi's, BMW's, Lexus', mostly BMW's though.

Yes, Cadillac will probably add 5-6K a month in sales. But you still fail(consistently) to realize that Lexus as well as BMW and Mercedes have new models coming out next year. In Lexus case, the GX470, a new RX330, a new GS330/430, and a SC330. As I know you so well from just a couple of posts, I know the response to come.

"Cadillac barely has a price advantage versus the Germans. They have nothing to compete with the 7 series or class but when you look at the prices of other models they arent cheap. The Deville's prce range is $42-58K, Seville $46K-57K, CTS $30K-$40K, escalade $50K-$56K."

Cadillac has a big price advantage and dealers give huge discounts. $58K for a Deville. I think not. I have heard the DTS with the night vision is made in very few numbers. And again, here's the word, realistically, most Deville's are sold at the lower end of that price spectrum. Same with the Seville, and CTS. So really, Caddy does have a advantage, a big advantage(while you're at it don't forget to mention the 0% financing deal GM is throwing around). And the DTS's competition is basically itself. You're not going to see a whole lot of DTS buyers cross-shopping a LS430, S430, or 745il. It's just not going to happen. The DTS's competition is basically the Lincoln Town Car.

The Cadillac XLR will be more expensive than the Lexus SC430. What do you think that will do for Cadillac? You think it's going to be a better car than the Mercedes SL500? Do you really feel Cadillac will sell more than 1,000 units a month after the first few months? Do you really think most people who can afford a $70K+ car are going to jump from their SLs, XK8's to the XLR?

I bet Infiniti is going to improve alot in the coming years, I don't see the same with Cadillac. General Motors talked about beating the competition all thru the 90's, and it always never happened.

"Also, I dont think anyone buys a lexus for the looks. Let's be realistic. Out of all the major Luxury makers Lexus has the worst styling. call it subjective if you want to but I never hear anyone that doesnt own a lexus call their cars attractive. " I also bet nobody buys a Cadillac for the looks then. And yes, styling is subjective-stated again.

BTW, why do you think all people strive to own a Cadillac?
    ljflx, The Legend was a nice car! What year was that?

Good point about sales caused to retooling. Did not think about that. I believe the new RX330 is due out in the spring or summer of 2003, right?
  • The arguments here are really about two issues. One, which is better Lexus or MB. The other is which is better to own.

I don't know about you but when I get in my car every morning, I don't think if it's the sales leader, or if it has any family resemblance, or even if the competition is gonna catch up next year.... I just wanna get into a car I know I will enjoy... to drive, to look at and especially to own. Taken in context and with reasonable objectivity you cannot say a Mercedes is better than a Lexus.

As to the other angle; which is better Mercede or Lexus.... well that depends? There are so many angles one can look at a company that you could argue that Kia is better them both... get the point! So unless you can come up with a standard to measure which is better you are never gonna get a winner.... just opinions and more opinions
  • "Please take a survey if you go to college, or wherever and see how many young people(college aged maybe?, 20-30 age group?) and see what they would rather be driving, a Cadillac or a Lexus. Guaranteed results would be a vast majority would pick a Lexus over a Cadillac. I'm only 27, and I prefer Lexus far over Cadillac. In fact, out of all Luxury car makes Cadillac would be next to last right ahead of Lincoln. 1)BMW 2)Lexus 3)Audi 4)Infiniti 5)Jaguar 6)Mercedes 7)Cadillac 8)Lincoln."

Im 20 years old, attending Cal Poly, SLO. I would rather drive a Cadillac than a Lexus.

"The Cadillac XLR will be more expensive than the Lexus SC430. What do you think that will do for Cadillac? You think it's going to be a better car than the Mercedes SL500? Do you really feel Cadillac will sell more than 1,000 units a month after the first few months? Do you really think most people who can afford a $70K+ car are going to jump from their SLs, XK8's to the XLR?"

They seem to be jumping ship with their SUVs, considering the sales numbers, so why not?
  • I think the "vast majority" of young affluent people buy what kind of cars they percieve as stylish or appealing. On the lower end of the spectrum(ie, not lux car territory), that is where reliability is a strong selling point, but not the high end, which is what were talking about.

I dont know any college kids who think of a Lexus, other than the SC430, as stylish. However, many college kids love the Cadillac style(except Deville). Everybody I know, except a select few, percieve Lexus as old people cars. If they were in a position to buy a Luxury Car, I would estimate the top three choices would be MB, Audi, and BMW...and Lexus and Lincoln would be last...with Cadillac somewhere in the middle.
  • Well, I'm within the 20-30 age range, and I'd prefer an Audi over any of them.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    What did I say now? I was just asking a question, if you noticed I haven't said a thing during the latest round of age vs this and who buy this questions. I do find it funny though that you told 1487 not to read anything into sales of the RX300 dropping, but yet when Mercedes has an old model that drops in sales before the new model debuts it's seen as some type of crisis. No, you didn't say that I dont' think, but your fellow Lexus underlings have. Amazing.

Actually re-tooling has nothing to do with sales sliding, people simply hold-off buying a product they know is going to be replaced, and secondly sales of anything decline as the years go by. Toyota especially has no sales problems during re-tooling as they do it faster than just about anyone else. Have you ever been to the Camry plant? I'll admit it's almost completely seamless in it's ability to do model change overs.

M
    wishnhigh, YOu didn't prove really anything. You're 1 person out of millions. You know it's a fact that the average "young" person would rather drive a foreign nameplate luxury car product over a Cadillac. It's simply a fact, otherwise soo many "young" People wouldn't be driving BMW 3-series.

modernity, Yes, some people have relegated the conversion to sales numbers. BUt you're right, it's not about sales figures as sales figures overall don't tell you the full picture. Even lousy products are successful(in terms of numbers sold)in the marketplace because of low price, availability, and marketing.

Which is better? you're right, no one can really say unanimously which car is better. Any car in the luxury segment is essentially a good car and basically there are differences between the many choices. And those differences suit different buyers in different ways.

In one way, you can say a Kia is better than anything. It does present a better value than any car possibly on the market. It basically provides what even a luxury car provides-transportation at 1/5 the price.

merc1, Actually re-tooling at any car plant affects sales to a certain degree. Re-tooling is a lenghty process in just about every auto plant and re-tooling begins to take shape months in advance of a new products introduction. To re-tool a factory a certain amount of current production capacity has to be sacrificed. But you are right, alot of the sales drop has to do with a products age.
  • ejerodejerod Posts: 86
    My post may have been corny, but the point is true. I'd ask 1487 what do you actually own ? Or if you don't own one, what have you actually driven for a fair amount of time ? I personallhy own the 2003 MB SL500 with all the options including keyless go, tire pressure monitors etc, I also own the 2002 MBS500 with AMG sport packaage with the majority of options offered. I also own the 2002 Lexus GS300 Sport Edition. I'm 39 years old and I've earned my money the hard way, legally and ethically.. lol. I'm not posting this to challenge anything you say, I'm just curious about your " real world " experience with any of these automobiles. The truth is I'm somewhat impressed with your diatribe and find it amazing that you have time to research all the things you post. So.. what do you acutally own or have any practical experience with ? By the way.. you'd make a great marketing analyst if you don't already have a career.. E